Shameless Crossover Excuse Revived

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Shameless Crossover Excuse Revived

Post by Mountain_King »

I currently am unable to be uploading the update for a little while, so I have a temporary solution.
Replace this file with the old file for scenario 9:
9_Showdown.cfg
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
This should work for both the 1.8 and the 1.9 versions.
I also modified the dialogue around Babyface's death event. ;)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Hope this is the right place for Shameless Crossover discussion. I'm playing the first scenario and I noticed that the day-night cycle is backwards. This is playing the latest version downloaded from the add-on server with Wesnoth 1.9.4.

EDIT: Just finished the scenario. Ha ha.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Yes, you do have the right thread and yes, the day/night cycle is intentional (though by now it appears you already know that. ;) ). There could be a bug or two floating around as I uploaded it originally for 1.9.2. Please let me know how you liked the campaign when you're done. :D

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Well, you asked for it, so here it is. :|

I didn't really like it. The humor was occasionally funny, but usually too over-played for my tastes. The plot didn't make any sense, which I think was intentional. My biggest complaint, however, was that several scenarios were seriously unbalanced. Two in particular stick in my mind: The one where you kill the Volk family and the one where you kill Malifor.

In the Volk scenario, I didn't have any trouble as the Undead because literally all three of the Volk leaders went after the Orcs. It was by the arrival of the Triangles that I was able to win. I was down to Kapou'e, surrounded by Fencers and Fire Drakes. I rushed to kill the bottom two leaders and the Triangles killed the top guy. They really need to split their forces or give more space between the Orcs and the enemy or something.

The Malifor scenario actually had a very similar problem. The Undead piled their Spectres on the Dwarves and almost wiped them out. They ended with a half-dead leader and two other units, and only because I was able to reach them with some Trolls and archers.

I did like some things about the campaign. I enjoyed some of the unconventional scenarios, particularly the one vs the Orcs, Naga, and Saurians where he just skips the scenario. :lol2: I was dreading that fight when I saw the map.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Yeah, the humor is a little...over the top in some cases. In my defense, I didn't write most of the campaign, Orcish_Shyde did. He disappeared sometime in '09 and I finished up the campaign a few months ago.
Could you provide a replay for the Malifor scenario? I'd like to have a peek at it. On the "Volk Family Reunion," I recall having a similar issue with the AI targeting while playtesting it. What difficulty level were you on?
Insinuator wrote: I did like some things about the campaign. I enjoyed some of the unconventional scenarios, particularly the one vs the Orcs, Naga, and Saurians where he just skips the scenario. :lol2: I was dreading that fight when I saw the map.
In older versions, the map actually was playable. The original author got quite a bit of feedback IIRC that others felt the same way you did after seeing the map.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Here are replays for both "Showdown" and "A Volk Family Reunion". I think the Volk scenario is more pronounced, but if I replayed it, I could compensate. The Showdown scenario, on the other hand, I have less control over. The Dwarves just get wasted.
Attachments
SCE-The_Volk_Family_Reunion_replay.gz
Volk replay
(39.37 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
SCE-Showdown_replay.gz
Showdown replay
(165.24 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
nindnarne

Post by nindnarne »

through space and time breaks in 1.9.6

as soon as the main character spends all his gold to time travel there is a wml error....
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Wow, it's been a loooooooooooooong time since I posted here. Huh. I almost forgot I'm the one maintaining this campaign. No matter. Here you are. :)
Uploaded a version 1.0.2 to the addon server, which has only one change:
Fixed the WML error caused in scenario three which caused the campaign to crash.
The error was because the [endlevel] tag doesn't allow result=continue anymore. I fixed it so every thing should work as planned. :wink:

Best regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
nindnarne

Post by nindnarne »

awesome! it is the most amusing campaign ever :)

guess not that many others enjoy the fun ;-)

to be honest it is probably the only campaign where I bother reading the dialogues....

EDIT:Combined your two last posts--Thrawn
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

So, after another long hiatus I released another edition of SCE. Version 1.1.0 is sitting on the 1.9 server, all ready for it's 1.10 incarnation.
The following changes have been made:
Deprecated terrain removed from maps in scenarios 1 and 9.
Kapou'e can recall his units in scenario 9.
Villages awarded properly in scenario 9 to all sides, not just Gwiti.

This new version works bug free all the way to the end on the latest version of Wesnoth (1.10.0), hope y'all enjoy it.

Best Regards,
M_K
EXTERMINATE!!!!
dehmlack

Shameless Crossover Excuse Revived

Post by dehmlack »

Some feedback to this campaign:

After having played a lot of campaigns I have been looking for another easy one playing elves and sending arrows against some sitting ducks out of the forest. I stumbled upon SCER and I what should I say ? Just a great campaign!! A great idea and a rather unusual plot. So funny and written ironically it was a real pleasure playing. This was the first campaign - after my really first one - where I red the dialogues.

The malifor map was quite interesting. Just rushing to the centre of the map didnt function. I got that after 2 hours of playing and finally losing.
Spoiler:
Although, there are - just quite unimportant - points of critic.

The crossing-the-map-map was totally boring. [spoilerJust move Gitli to the northeast corner and its finished. You dont have to call your army. Just keep on moving.[/spoiler]

The gigantic size of some of the maps results always in more evenings playing one scenario. I like it better if one map can be finished after one hour. But thats just my personal opinion.

The last map, the mirror game, ... Hmmmm. It was ok.

As far as I am concerned this is an outstanding campaign every wesnoth-player must finish. I think it can be compared to the 'Talentless mage'-campaign. That one is also very funny and totally different.

Keep up the good work, I had lots of fun! :lol2:
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

I have been playing Shameless Crossover Excuse over the past few days. I really enjoyed it until the Showdown scenario. Even at the easy level, the Showdown scenario seems difficult if not impossible to win. The dwarves seem to be totallty incompetant fighters. I have even tried to send help to them, but the help often gets destroyed before it even reaches the dwarves. The best I got so far is Babyface not getting killed until turn 10. What I'm wondering is, is the scenario even supposed to be winnable, or are the dwarves supposed to get creamed no matter what? In any case, Happy Bloomsday.