"The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lynx

Re: "The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground stor

Post by lynx »

Use the castle to your advantage, it has a moat. :)
Reval

Post by Reval »

Flameslash wrote:Bad News is way too hard. You can barely scratch the enemies without sacrificing heroes which you can't do.
Can you be a little more specific? At which difficulty did you play? Do you mean the whole campaign or some specific scenario(s)? Please let us know where you struggled.

I know that there are e few scenarios (5 & 6 for example) where there are a lot of hero units to keep alive. Though they will all apear later (which is the reason why they should not die in the first place), you could sacrifice some of them later.

As someone who had exactly in mind, I naturally don't struggle that much with the missins and there is not much guidance except for making it slightly easier than what I would prefer.

Also: The hardest difficulty level is indeed kept harder so that it is indeed quite a challange.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

On easy, I think. The scenario Bad News, where you defend Wehlot. You have no impact attacks and mages are too squishy, so you can't fight the undead properly without using your leader. Who you can't sacrifice, the Elven Lord, who you can't sacrifice, or Feyndwarf, who you can't sacrifice.
lynx

Post by lynx »

Get more of them, gang up and leapfrog. There are so many villages it should be trivial even if you're on extreme defensive.
Spoiler:
Reval

Post by Reval »

Flameslash wrote:On easy, I think. The scenario Bad News, where you defend Wehlot. You have no impact attacks and mages are too squishy, so you can't fight the undead properly without using your leader. Who you can't sacrifice, the Elven Lord, who you can't sacrifice, or Feyndwarf, who you can't sacrifice.
Thanks for your reply!

As recomended for almost all battles in this campaign:
- Use Clyde very wisely: He has the inspire trait which gives a bonus to units of even equal level and an even bigger bonus to lower level units. Plus: His light indeed does more than look shiny - undead fight worse in his direct proximity. (And humans as if it is day).
Spoiler:
- For Clyde and Feyndwarf: you can fight with them and then mount to bring them to savety given that Snow-White/Richard still have move points. Also note that Clyde and Feyndwarf have more attacks when unmounted (though weaker, the extra strike equals this more than out).
- As you can kill almost every unit with Feyndwarf next to Clyde, one strategy might be to get one free hex in an enemy leaders camp, get Clyde close, fly Feyndwarf in and hit the leader hard.
- As lynx suggested, you can basically just defend the city on the walls while combining this with as more offensive stance towards only one leader - as the story suggests: this scenario is designed so that the humans learn to value thier fortifications.
- Merdor shout be quite capable of killing some undead too - so you can always rotat your units on the city walls.
The enemy leaders should not have too much money so at some time, you should win the upper hand as enemy recruiting goes down.

If this still does not help, we might have to further decrease the money of the undead leaders - so let us know.

Reval

Re: "The fellowhip of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Post by Reval »

TFotC 1.0.0: has been uploaded

This is it, the first complete realease with all 16 playable scenarios (+2 story only).
  • added scenario 17
  • seems to be very hard :wink: tell us if you think it is to hard
    Spoiler:
  • added the epilogue (scenario 18)
  • some changes in scenario 16 - now, you should not be able to get to the stanger until Legomir is in position
  • as scenario 17 has been renamed, you have to start from you last save in sceanrio 15...
    cunfusing explanation
    ...to get into a version of scenario 16 that will start scenario 17. If you absolutly want to avoid playing the tweaked version of scenario 16, you can change the ID from scenario 17 to the one that is originally called by the previous version of scenario 16.
Known bugs:
  • The arrival annimation in scenario 16 plays much to quick

lynx

Post by lynx »

For anyone else in the same predicament, change all the next_scenario tags in the final save to next_scenario="17_In_Due_Time".

There's a typo "locking around".

The campaign icon (the sword) is too big, so it mostly obscures the golden victory olive leaves in the campaign selector dialog.

All in all: good job!
Fonzo

Post by Fonzo »

So, I tried to start your fellowship (because it sounded like a bit story and rpg based strategy which suits me perfectly) but I just cant make Clyde climb upon his stupid horse. Dont know why. I follow the instructions to the letter, but when right clicking I dont get any option "To mount". And with the orcs attacking on two fronts, I need the added mobility given from the horse. Any suggestion?
lynx

Post by lynx »

did you do as the message said? Read it again or this thread otherwise. ;)
Fonzo

Post by Fonzo »

lynx wrote:did you do as the message said? Read it again or this thread otherwise. ;)
Ahhh, found it. After killing the orcs. I would recomend putting it in the text so that you dont need to answer questions such as this.
DuckyWucky2

Post by DuckyWucky2 »

Ok guys, im have NO IDEA how to telport units using Mrs Master of Teleportation Porter! Is there some kid of MP or Era I have to download or something??? I tried to click on an a adjacent unit and clicked the "teleport this unit thing" but I don't know what to do after that. I tried moving him, clicking, going to options, canclelling, putting the unt ona village, putting Porter on a villag, EVERYTHING! Please help,
Thanks.
Reval

Post by Reval »

DuckyWucky2 wrote:Ok guys, im have NO IDEA how to telport units using Mrs Master of Teleportation Porter! Is there some kid of MP or Era I have to download or something??? I tried to click on an a adjacent unit and clicked the "teleport this unit thing" but I don't know what to do after that. I tried moving him, clicking, going to options, canclelling, putting the unt ona village, putting Porter on a villag, EVERYTHING! Please help,
Thanks.
If you have come this far: you just need to right click on one of your own villages and there you can choose "teleport unit here".
The teleported unit will have all her MPs left but Harriett will have used all of hers.

As teleporting another unit is so exhausting for Harriett that it uses all her MP that might also be a common reason for not being able to teleport as she realy need all her MP left if she is supposed to teleport, i.e. she must not have been moved this turn.

As with the mounting, the explanation happens as part of the story telling. For the teleportation, the narrator states in scenario 11 (Yeti's state of mind): "To teleport a unit using Harriett's powers, move the unit you want to be teleported next to her. Then choose 'Teleport this unit' in the right-click menu. You now have to possibilities when clicking the right mouse button: 'Back', after which you can rechoose the teleported unit, and 'Teleport unit here', on any village of your own. The unit will be teleported there, then."

I have to admit that in this case, we did not stress this information by means of bold letters as with the mounting - we should consider this.

Hope you enjoy the campaign!

salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I got as far as the part where you have to blow up the dam, but I can' t figure out how to blow it up. I have tried sending each of my units there but nothing happens.
Reval

Post by Reval »

salsaman wrote:I got as far as the part where you have to blow up the dam, but I can' t figure out how to blow it up. I have tried sending each of my units there but nothing happens.
You have to send Lorelei - did you try her? As she can barely move on the ground, you probably have to teleport her using Harriett but this shouldn't be a problem if you have other units down there.
The conversation as well as the mission objectives indicate her as the right unit.

Also: You have to have done the lava-redirection first.

I won't completly exclude that there is some bug so please let us know if you figured it out.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I liked your campaign a lot! It has some innovative ideas and good gameplay. There are some small problems I noticed though:

First, there is a bug in Army_of_Darkness. In one place, rockstatus is called rock_status, which keeps you from being able to end the scenario. This will fix the most recent complaint in this thread.

Like some other people, I was very confused as to why I couldn't mount Snow White in the first scenario. You need to tell the player that it won't work until the end of the scenario, or don't tell the player how to do it until it does work.

In Yetis_state_of_mind, you have an ally silver mage. Every time I played, she would teleport into a group of dwarves and die, and there is nothing you can do about it! About the third time this happened, I used debug mode to change her to side 1 temporarily. Please change this. I suggest using [avoid] to confine her to her town. (This happened one time in the last scenario with the king, too. You could use a similar solution to make him stay closer to the keep and therefore safer.)

There are many, many places where the English is slightly wrong. You need to get some help to fix it up I think. There is one place where it should be fixed now: The phrase, "shot his wad," is a vulgar expression that means "ejaculated", so it doesn't belong in this game. (It's in the Three towers scenario.) Also, there is a problem with the gryphon's name in my opinion. "Richard" is so out of place that it confused me at first. It is a familiar, modern name unlike any other name in the campaign, and doesn't really fit a gryphon anyway. It should at least be something a gryphon could pronounce.

Overall, you did a great job!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide