Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: New campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.8 & 1.9)

Post by mattsc »

ydcl wrote:How can I defeat the "Chief" ? My english, is not perfect, so I don't understand everything.
After a brief off-line confirmation with ydcl, it turns out that the problem is not his English, but that the instructions are more ambiguous than I thought. Here's how to defeat the "Chief":
Spoiler:
Now, I meant "allied" as a unit either on the allied side (the blue AI side) or as one of your own units, but this can also be interpreted as meaning only units of the other (blue) side - which would be almost impossible to do as you cannot control them (except for Elralith). Thanks for pointing this out, ydcl! I will change the wording in the next update.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Nice campaign, I've finish it ! Some suggestions, for the next time. Make only one objective, for the death leaders. With this, we can concentrate in special things. For the special ability, of the "blue allt", I think, it doesn't work, or I didn't find the way, to made it work. Continue, the good job !
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thank you, ydcl, also for all the comments both on and off the forum. Great to hear! Yeah, there was a bug that meant that sometimes the right-click menu items for the blue ally leader did not show up at the end of the last scenario. It is fixed as of v1.1.0.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

The trouble, is, I think, I've got the last version, and it didn't work. Sorry, I don't have, the saves anymore.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

ydcl wrote:The trouble, is, I think, I've got the last version, and it didn't work.
Did you start the scenario from the very beginning after you got the latest version? With that I mean not even 'Auto-Save1', but 'Galuldur-10 Final Battle.gz'. The way Wesnoth works (I believe, somebody please correct me if I am wrong) is that the scenario code is embedded in the save files. (This is something I did not know either until I started writing my first scenario.) If you load a saved game, you will play it with the version you had installed when you started the scenario, no matter which version you have installed right now.

I hope that makes sense and explains why it is not working in your case. I looked into the save game you sent me yesterday. That one did not contain the bug fix, but I don't know if it was from before or after you installed the new version.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Thanks for explanation, because I didn't know that too.
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

I'm at the last scenario, and I like this campaign so far. It didn't look very special at the beginning, but gradually I noticed some very nice things, such as scenario variety and humor.

In many campaigns I end up with a huge army, because the later scenarios keep giving me low level "scout" units as it can get quite boring to play maxed units. However fights between huge armies are not fun either, and makes the AI very slow at times. I didn't have this problem in this campaign, and only have about 2 or 3 of each type of unit, and many of them are still level 2, so they can be helpful in the last fight and still have the chance to advance. This is probably thanks to the short length of the campaign, the high survivability of elvish units, and also necessary because you mainly only have 4 types of standard units.
Spoiler:
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, hagabaka!

Yeah, the campaign starts somewhat "slowly" (especially the first scenario is really kind of boring). Part of that is intentional (these young elves cannot just jump into a full-scale battle without gaining some experience first), but to be honest, for the most part it's because at the beginning I didn't really know how to build scenarios and was only figuring it out as I went along. It's nice to hear that you overall like how it plays out (I think it has some nice little twists in it, but then, I'm not exactly impartial). I find it interesting that you mention the relative shortness of the campaign as an advantage (huge battle scenarios are not generally my favorites either, although there are some rather enjoyable ones out there). I hadn't thought of it that way.

As for your final comment:
Spoiler:
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like the ideas for a new campaign.
How do you get the staff more early? I could just use it once before the last scenario.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Tet wrote:I like the ideas for a new campaign.
Thanks. :) Currently I am actually working on the story of Galuldur's main enemy (from the last scenario), but this is still going to take me a long time. Partly because I don't have as much time for it as I would like, and partly because I enjoy trying out new things (a.k.a. things that I don't know how to do and that therefore take a long time).
Tet wrote:How do you get the staff more early? I could just use it once before the last scenario.
Spoiler:
Thanks again!
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

This campaign is awesome! I love all the little plot twists and the way the maps are so clearly connected and re-used. The battles seem very well timed and balanced. Also, the 09 interlude is the best cut scene i've yet enountered, short and cute, it made me smile. I think this would make a great novice or intermediate campaign for mainline, assuming the pseudo-OOC content is allowed.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thank you very much, tr0ll ! It's great to hear that you enjoyed it.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I just wanted to say I played the campaign recently and really enjoyed it a lot. Well done!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks for taking the time to post that, much appreciated!

As a general comment (to anybody who might still be looking at this thread), I am making progress on the (sort of) precursor campaign I have mentioned before - but unfortunately it's really slow progress, mostly because I just don't have as much time to work on it as I would like, and partly because for some reason the scenario files are on average twice as long as those of Galuldur. I'd like to claim that that means they are twice as good, but somehow I doubt that. :lol2: Anyways, I have 10 of (probably) 13 scenarios of Part 1 of this 2-part campaign done. Mostly... It's only a matter of years now!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

After a long time, I have finally finished the other campaign I keep hinting at. Well, Part 1 of it at least. It's a precursor campaign of sorts to Galuldur, although it will only become clear in Part 2 how the two connect.

See here.