Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.13)

Post by mattsc »

Sudipta: I played S8 Pindir Forest on hard and it is tough, but it is by no means impossible. I'm a little hesitant to attach the replay as there are some instances where it's not all that well played (I haven't played Wesnoth in ages, so I'm a bit out of practice, and I was also very tired when I played this). I should go back and do a somewhat better play-thru, but to be honest ... I don't want to. I've proven to myself that it can be done, and that's good enough for me. So below's the replay (for Wesnoth 1.13.12).

One thing you could argue is that I am using some previous knowledge of what happens, not so much in this scenario but in the previous one. Specifically, the fact that
Spoiler:
but see my disclaimer in this post on my opinion on that. This is the main thing I would do differently if I wrote the campaign now (changing some of the surprises so that there is less of an advantage of knowing what will happen), but this is how I wrote it back in the day when I started creating content and I am going to leave it that way.

Sometime in the next days I'll finish the campaign on hard, just to make sure the last scenario works as desired too, and then I'll upload it to the 1.14 add-ons server.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!
Attachments
Galuldur-Pindir Forest replay.gz
Replay for Wesnoth 1.13.12
(63.97 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Sudipta

Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.13)

Post by Sudipta »

Hiya mattsc, I just now saw your post and replay. Thanks a lot for the response :D

First thing I have to say is how did u get something as awesome as a great troll? Man u totally made use of the creator’s knowledge advantage. And you even had a sharpshooter close to AMLA who leveled up on the brink of death to restore hp. Unfortunately both the troll and the sharpshooter died, but they made a huge impact on the fight. Great fight. It definitely isn’t unwinnable like I assumed. I should have tried harder. I failed in the first attempt and didn’t try again.I don't mean to brag, but i almost never get stuck in any campaigns on hard, so i got a little annoyed after my defeat. I had like a 20 starting gold advantage over you too, but u had better army composition for this scenario with 2 marksman and a sharpshooter. But, tbh it is very difficult for anyone playing the campaign for the first time.

But then again, that's the point of hard difficulty. I am sure the final scenario is a lot easier than this one. After all that's the last fight, no need to hold back and just recall everything and bulldoze the enemy. I am attaching my pindir forest starting save as a reference.

Have a nice day.
Attachments
Galuldur-Pindir Forest.gz
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.13)

Post by mattsc »

Hi Sudipta, thanks again for all the comments and for staying positive and constructive with your criticism even when you were annoyed. :)

I agree on the great troll (as I wrote) although I'd call it second-time-play knowledge more so than creator knowledge. As for the sharpshooter close to leveling, that was pure luck, not planning. And he got super lucky on that turn on which he leveled. I don't think I would have lost the scenario if he'd died there, but it would have been even harder. Now losing those those two units and a couple others is what I meant with not playing very well at times. At least some of those were entirely avoidable, but you do have to expect to lose a couple L2s or L3s in a scenario like this. Well, I do expect so at least.

In any case, I decided to give both Vaddan's and Galuldur's side 25 gold more on each difficulty. That will still make it quite hard, but maybe relaxes it just a little bit. I'll probably have the new version uploaded by the end of the day.

And as for the last scenario, I played it again and you're right, it is easier than this one. Which is fine, as far as I am concerned, it still has some fun challenges.

Cheers!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Post by mattsc »

Galuldur's First Journey v1.3.0 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.12, 1.13 and 1.14 add-ons servers.

The main changes are slight balance adjustments of scenarios S4 Ultwildir and S8 Pindir Forest, making both scenarios slightly easier, in particular on the hardest difficulty. The rest are minor cosmetic improvements and a few internal changes to make things work correctly in Wesnoth 1.14.
Galuldur's First Journey v1.3.0 Complete Changelog

Code: Select all

----- 1.3.0, 31 March 2018 (port to Wesnoth 1.14, minor balance changes) -----

- Ensure the campaign works without errors in Wesnoth 1.14
  - This consists mostly of internal, under-the-hood changes
  - Tested on 1.13.12 = 1.14 RC 1
- S4 Ultwildir: balance adjustments to make scenario slightly easier
- S6 Southern Route: fix bonus objective not appearing
- S8 Pindir Forest: add a bit more gold to player's sides
- S10 Final Battle: fix portal appearance in Wesnoth 1.13 / 1.14
- Some more minor wording changes
- Reset caution and grouping AI aspect values