Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: New campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.8)

Post by mattsc »

Thank you, that's exactly what I did. Sorry, I should have said so and saved you the trouble of replying. Thanks, much appreciated anyway.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Very interesting... In addition to the differences between 1.8 and 1.9 mentioned already, there are also some things that changed in more subtle ways (no change in syntax, but requiring modifications anyway). Examples I found in my campaign:

- The MOVE_UNIT macro now works differently and requires the target hex to be passable. I have an event that moves a unit onto a lava hex (which is not particularly healthy for the unit) using this macro. This does not work in 1.9. Solution: either use the macro from 1.8 or do something like

Code: Select all

{MODIFY_UNIT id=$unit.id movement_costs.unwalkable 1}
before sending the unit on its suicide run.

- In two of my scenarios, I silently switch sides of the player, changing the controller of one side from 'human' to 'null' and the other from 'ai' to 'human'. When I do that, the objectives pop up again in 1.9 (they did not in 1.8 with the 'silent=yes' option), because this is effectively the first turn for the new side. This isn't a real problem, but feels a bit "unelegant". The solution to this is given here http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... his%20link

Btw, the only reason why I am doing this is so that 'Name' in the turn message "It is now Name's turn" changes (without any disruption noticeable to the player). As far as I know, this comes from the side's 'id' attribute and cannot be changed with modify_side. If there is an easier way to do this, I'd be interested to know. It would simplify the code a lot in those scenarios.

- The wolf sound files changed (not just the content, but their file names too). Easy enough to change (and yes, it's in the changelog, I just missed it)

Just posting this in case it is useful to somebody else. I'm getting closer to v1.0.4 for both 1.8 and 1.9.

Oh, is there a way to change the title of a thread (in order to indicate that this works for 1.9 now also)? My guess is no, just asking.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (edited subject)

Post by Alarantalara »

mattsc wrote: is there a way to change the title of a thread (in order to indicate that this works for 1.9 now also)?
Yes, there is.
Just edit the first post of the thread and change the subject line there.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, in "the final battle", I suggest, to put something, on the reinforcements, because we don't know, how to recognise them. Beside this, good job !
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Alarantalara: Thanks, that's easy.

ydcl: Thank you. I am not sure that I understand your comment on the reinforcements correctly though. You mean the units that come with Galur (in the north east)? Those are just standard core units (I did not add magical attacks, those that have them come that way). So they can just become part of your troops and don't need to be distinguished from the rest after that. Do I see that wrong? Or maybe I misunderstand what you write?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

mattsc wrote:Sorry, I should have said so and saved you the trouble of replying. Thanks, much appreciated anyway.
No problem at all :wink:
One thing that I noticed, while playing some time ago, is that in the Final Battle, both Vaddan and Galuldur can recruit (both have the gold crown). If it's an intended feature, and you want that both can recruit, I suggest you to add a message explaining this, like I do in TSoG.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:One thing that I noticed, while playing some time ago, is that in the Final Battle, both Vaddan and Galuldur can recruit (both have the gold crown). If it's an intended feature, and you want that both can recruit, I suggest you to add a message explaining this, like I do in TSoG.
Good comment, I agree. Yes, this is an intended feature. The enemy troops will likely arrive at your castle before you're done recruiting and the keep is in a very exposed position (because of how it was set up in the previous scenario), so this gives you the option of rotating the two leaders until the gold is gone. There should be a comment made on this right after the opening dialog:

{MESSAGE narrator "" _"Note" _"Both Galuldur and Vaddan are able to recruit in this scenario."}
If that is missing, I need to look into why that happens.

PS: I really liked the first scenarios of TSoG! So much, in fact, that I had to delete my save files because I was ignoring work. ;) I need to go back to it when I have a bit more time.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

But sometimes, I loose, because some troups, can with some magical attacks (I don't speak, about Valad). I don't know, which one. I don't know too, how to protect Norfindil, when it's need all the best troops.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

ydcl wrote:But sometimes, I loose, because some troups, can with some magical attacks (I don't speak, about Valad). I don't know, which one. I don't know too, how to protect Norfindil, when it's need all the best troops.
Hi ydcl. Ok, I'm really confused now. I'm probably just stupid today because I stayed up too long the last few nights porting the campaign to BfW 1.9. :)

The units that have magical attacks are those that always have them in BfW: the Shaman line from level 2 on (Druid, Shyde, Sorceress, Enchantress and Sylph) and the Elvish Lord that arrives with Galur. So I think that I don't need to mark those as having magical attacks as they always do in BfW? (This is meant as a real question, not just for ydcl.) In addition there are Norfindil (after conversion) and Vaddan with the staff (as you know; or Galuldur, in case he has the staff), both of which are indicated in dialog

As for marking which units you need to protect (you lose when they are killed), all of them have a crown, either gold (for those who can recruit) or gray (for the rest), including Norfindil. Concerning how to protect them, I set this scenario up specifically so that one of the challenges is how to protect 5 leaders with units that, for the most part, are not very good at fighting the undead. If you would like specific hints on how to do this, let me know and I'll be happy to provide that.

Sorry for this, as I said, I am probably just too tired to understand what you are writing.

PS: I sent you a private message with my email address, if you want to discuss this offline first.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

mattsc wrote: There should be a comment made on this right after the opening dialog:
I just found my old savegame, and checked. Yes, the message is correctly shown. Only problem is that it hasn't the usual narrator image, and this may be why I didn't noticed it. To add it

{MESSAGE narrator "wesnoth-icon.png" _"Note" _"Both Galuldur and Vaddan are able to recruit in this scenario."}
This, IMO, will make such message more evident. Anyway, it was a feature that I appreciated.
mattsc wrote:PS: I really liked the first scenarios of TSoG! So much, in fact, that I had to delete my save files because I was ignoring work. ;) I need to go back to it when I have a bit more time.
Thanks! :D
By the way, you're currently updating the campaign to Wesnoth 1.9; do you want that I run wmllint and wmlscope on it, and post the logs and the updated files, or you already know how to use these tools?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:I just found my old savegame, and checked. Yes, the message is correctly shown. Only problem is that it hasn't the usual narrator image, and this may be why I didn't noticed it.
Ah, I never even paid attention to there being a narrator image. Now that I see it, of course I remember having seen it... I will add that to all my narrator messages. Thanks!
Elvish_Hunter wrote:By the way, you're currently updating the campaign to Wesnoth 1.9; do you want that I run wmllint and wmlscope on it, and post the logs and the updated files, or you already know how to use these tools?
I know how to (and do) use wmlindent and wmllint. The latter gives some very useful information - although it does not like double spaces after sentences... :) And what is this all about:
"/home/mats/tmp/Galuldur/scenarios/01_Decampment.cfg", line 38: Elvish Fighter is not a known unit type ???

But... wmlscope crashes with a "local variable 'args' referenced before assignment" message. I see here:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 90#p410245
that you had the same problem earlier this year. How did you solve that? (I am using Mac OS 10.5, so the solution might be different.) I would really be able to run it myself, but I have not had time to look into this yet, so I might come back to you about this. How do you want me to get the files to you? Just post them here?

Thanks,
mattsc
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

mattsc wrote:I know how to (and do) use wmlindent and wmllint. The latter gives some very useful information - although it does not like double spaces after sentences... :) And what is this all about:
"/home/mats/tmp/Galuldur/scenarios/01_Decampment.cfg", line 38: Elvish Fighter is not a known unit type ???

But... wmlscope crashes with a "local variable 'args' referenced before assignment" message. I see here:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 90#p410245
that you had the same problem earlier this year. How did you solve that? (I am using Mac OS 10.5, so the solution might be different.) I would really be able to run it myself, but I have not had time to look into this yet, so I might come back to you about this. How do you want me to get the files to you? Just post them here?
First thing: both wmllint and wmlscope needs not only the campaign folder, but also the core folder as argument. On Linux, my command line is:

linux@linux-desktop:~$ '/home/linux/wesnoth/data/tools/wmllint' '/home/linux/wesnoth/data/core' '/home/linux/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/Galuldur'
(linux@linux-desktop:~$ is the prompt). Basically is the Python executable (for Windows), wmllint/wmlscope, parameters (like --unresolved for wmlscope), core folder, add-on folder.
The problem that I had was caused by the above thing, and also by the fact that wmltools (a wmlscope dependance) was bugged on Windows; but from 1.9 onwards it works perfectly also on Win. On 1.8, I solved by using a version of wmltools from trunk.
Anyway, here there is your campaign, passed on wmllint and zipped (you'll need to remove all the bak files)
Galuldur.zip
(732.56 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
and here there are the logs.
Galuldur_logs.txt.zip
(16.19 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Feel free to ignore the wmllint spellchecking and wmlscope mismatched reference sections, for now (these usually require magic comments like # wmllint: directory spelling and # wmlscope: start ignoring). If there is anything unclear, please ask.
Finally, I tested your campaign automatically converted by wmllint on 1.9.3+svn; it starts, but I have this message:

Invalid WML found: Macro 'REDRAW' is scheduled for removal in Wesnoth 1.9.4.
Of course, this means that you'll have to use [redraw] [/redraw].
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:First thing: both wmllint and wmlscope needs not only the campaign folder, but also the core folder as argument.
Yes, that is all it took for me also. Duh! Both work now. Thanks.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Anyway, here there is your campaign, passed on wmllint and zipped
Thank you for doing this. Over the last few days, I have made quite a few changes to it already (such as the redraw thing), so the logs look a little different now. There are still a lot of messages, but most of them can be ignored. For example, things like "side number 3 is out of sequence" are not really true, as I have a macro there that inserts a side that is needed in several scenarios, but an automated program does not catch things like that, of course. The same applies to most other comments.

What puzzled me most at first were all the macro mismatches, but I think I figured it out. This comes from me often using quotes instead of parentheses to indicate that text with spaces is just one argument, etc. Apparently the quotes get ignored by wmlscope. E.g.:
"/home/linux/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/Galuldur/scenarios/06_Southern_Route.cfg", line 74: MESSAGE(Vaddan, , , _Well, great leader, show us the way.) with signature (SPEAKER_ID=name, IMAGE=empty, CAPTION_TEXT=empty, MESSAGE_TEXT=stringliteral)

Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice! I think I have a version now that works in both 1.8 and 1.9, with minimal differences between the two. I want to do a few more sanity checks and will upload tonight.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: New campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.8 & 1.9)

Post by mattsc »

v1.1.0 is now available for both 1.8 and 1.9. (I figure that this was a sufficiently important change to justify increasing the second digit in the version number.)

Main changes:
- Ported to 1.9
- Made the lizards in the last scenario protect "Subergobo's" side and in particular SG himself, as per Tet's suggestion. This includes the lizard leader himself coming out (at least at times), which makes it a bit less boring to hunt him down at the end.

Minor changes:
- Narrator message now show the Wesnoth icon
- A few other messages that previously did not show a unit icon now do so
- Fixed a minor bug in S10 that sometimes, albeit rarely, prevented the Elralith-control menu items to be shown

Most everything else is just syntax changes for the the purpose of porting to 1.9. A full changelog comes with the distribution.
ydcl

Re: New campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.8 & 1.9)

Post by ydcl »

How can I defeat the "Chief" ? My english, is not perfect, so I don't understand everything.