Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: SP campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.12 & 1.14)

Post by mattsc »

Hello,

After playing all of the mainline campaigns and a bunch of the user campaigns, I decided to try how writing a campaign works. The result is 'Galuldur's First Journey', a SP campaign with 8 or 9 playable scenarios, depending on the path one takes. It is now available on the 1.12 add-ons server. I wrote this mostly for myself, but figured that I could post it here. Maybe somebody else will get a few hours of fun (and not too much frustration) out of it.

It is a reasonably straight forward elves vs. orcs campaign, with a few twists and a couple branches along the way.

Any comments would be much appreciated as this is my first ever campaign, especially on how easy/hard people think this is (and of course on bugs). I am pretty sure that it is not novice level, but besides that I am not sure. I wrote it so that on medium, for my skill level, I have to pay some attention but that I can play it quite easily (because personally that is how I enjoy it best). While playing it several times, I was actually going back and forth between feeling that it is too easy and just about right. Again, that's for my skill level and very subjective, I am sure other people will think differently. I did play through on hard once just to make sure that it is playable, but I did not put any particularly interesting differences in between the three levels, just some variations in gold and number of turns.

EDIT 22 Dec 2010: As of version 1.1.0, the files are not attached here any more. Please download from the add-ons servers.

EDIT 17 May 2015: Version 1.2.0 is now on the 1.12 add-ons server.

EDIT 31 March 2018: Version 1.3.0 is now on the 1.12 and 1.14 add-ons servers.

Cheers,
Matthias
Last edited by mattsc on April 28th, 2012, 3:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: New campaign: Galuldur's First Journey (1.8)

Post by Mountain_King »

If you post it on the add-ons server, you will get a lot more people willing to play it. There's many people who don't like going to the work of downloading an attachment and putting it in their add-ons folder (myself included). Not to forget all the people who don't use the forums but play Wesnoth.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Good point, I hadn't thought of it from that point of view. Thanks!

It's available on the add-ons server now. I also edited my original post to indicate that.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hi mattsc, I took a quick run at the first scenario today. Looks good and the dialogue is well written, if a bit canned at times. I played on normal and after a few tries still couldn't...
Spoiler:
Also, it appears that the wolves took my village at 16,26 even though I took the time to grab it. If that's not what you wanted to happen, you might consider giving their side the following:

Code: Select all

[ai]
            village_value=0
        [/ai]
And a couple quick notes on dialogue:
Spoiler:
I'll try to give it another shot at some point.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi H-Hour,

Thanks a lot for the comments! I really appreciate the feedback. I have village_value set to zero, because originally I did not want them to take my villages away, just as you suggest. This does not seem to keep them from doing it entirely though. On the other hand, as I continued to develop the game, I actually decided that I like that feature and want them to do that -- not go out of their way to get all the villages, but at least take some of the close ones away from the player.

As for getting to ...
Spoiler:
I can post a replay of how I do it, if you want me to. I have also been thinking about writing a walk-through for the campaign, but was not going to do that anytime soon. I could probably get started on it on the weekend if there is any interest.

Thanks much for the comments on the dialogue also (especially since English is not my native language). I am not going to bring out a new version for every comment on wording I get (unless they concern vital information that might be missing or unclear), but I will collect them all and consider all of them later. Having said that, some bits are put in there intentionally because I, having an admittedly strange sense of humor, find them funny, or because they remind me of something. For a couple things, I am probably the only person who thinks so. [I know that I am going to get flak for something I put into the later scenarios. :) ] As I said, I wrote this campaign mostly for myself, originally I wasn't even planning to post it here, so I paid lots of attention to some minor details that mattered to me and completely ignored other stuff. I might (or might not) change some of this in updated versions, so please keep the comments coming.

But I digress, concerning your comments:
Spoiler:
I hope this helps. Thanks again!

PS: Should I use British or American spelling on here, or a mix, as in this post? Does anybody care?
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

mattsc wrote:PS: Should I use British or American spelling on here, or a mix, as in this post? Does anybody care?
Well, if you want to sound like the proper / Writer's Forum type, go ahead and use your British style :wink:

I would have never guessed that English wasn't your native language, besides the fact that you are being almost too proper.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks for the compliment. I did leave out some vital information there, as I have spent most of the last 17 years in North America. Both the US (previously) and Canada (now), so I've had my exposure to both spellings. There are still things that I am not always sure about though (prepositions are hard!) and you'd hear the accent immediately. :)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I finally played through the first two scenarios (busy)...

The first scenario was rather annoying, with the random units popping up (about one a turn). The bonus for killing the leader is pretty worthless. I had the same problem the above person had, just making it to the signpost. I found myself losing all of my units... at the end I had Galuldur, and an elvish hero. (level-up)

Second scenario, a random guy took all my money :lol2: I took the mountain passage (kind of hard to see it except for the random wolf), the trolls were kind of an annoying surprise. So were the orcs. I ended up losing all of my non-hero units. I didn't have enough money to recruit any more guys after I killed the outlaw... When you kill him, you should be able to get your money back.

The campaign is pretty cool so far, but the 3rd scenario looks like it will be pretty challenging without any recalls at all... Galuldur is an elvish captain and the ranger is now an avenger, but besides that I have pretty much no hope fending off three leaders.

Maybe make it a bit easier.

Also, the map doesn't look to scale. The small forest scenario traverses 1/4 of the map, and that just doesn't seem right.

Besides that, fairly nice campaign :D
Join the new R2D forum!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hey bigkahuna,

Thanks a lot for the comments, they're much appreciated. It's funny that all of the things you call 'annoying' (no offense taken, in case I need to point that out) are put in deliberately. As in, I put them there with the intention of achieving the annoying effect. :D I am going to put all of the rest into spoiler brackets, as it contains lots of little bits of spoilers (and to hide how long-winded it is).
Spoiler:
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Oh, I just noticed that ...
Spoiler:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I think you should make some benefit for "killing" the outlaw. It should be about the same both ways, or people will see it as a tomato surprise and save/reload.
Join the new R2D forum!
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Good point. I want something that "makes sense" as far as the story goes. I can see how he'd manage to sneak away but is so weak that he drops the gold and the map. That way, there's still some benefit for letting him join, but much less overall.

I don't have time for that right now, but I should be able to upload v 1.0.1 tonight. Thanks !
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I played Galudur's First Journey, ver 1.0.0 using BfW ver 1.8.5 on a PC running win-XP.

At the start of 04_Altwald, there was some strange dialogue -- lines that were intended to be said by Vaddan the bandit were not spoken: Vaddan had been killed in action in 02_High_Plains.
Spoiler:
The first few scenarios have been pretty interesting. Keep up the good work.
--sneezy
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thank you, sneezy! I am glad to hear that you enjoy it.

Hmm, interesting. I thought that I had the variables set so that the dialog in S4 gets adjusted, including the specific case you describe (which has happened to me also). Apparently I missed something. I will have to check that out - I probably won't have time to do that until later this week though.

Do you still have the replays for Scenarios 2 -- 4 when that happened?

Thanks,
mattsc
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Sorry to say, I cleaned up my save directory, and those files got tossed.

Looking at the WML, and thinking about what happened, I recall only seeing the dialogue and option-choice once, when Galudur's guys killed him. When the Troll killed him moments later, it was like any other combat death, it happened and things kept moving along. No dialogue, and no option choice. It was like the last_breath event didn't happen when the Troll clobbered him. Maybe that's a clue.
--sneezy