To Lands Unknown - 10th Anniversary!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bvanevery

Re: To Lands Unknown v1.4.3

Post by bvanevery »

The Mercurial repository now has a new URL. https://bitbucket.org/tolandsunknown/tolandsunknown You will need to change your Mercurial configurations appropriately.

Inferno8 and I have agreed that we want more publicity and exposure for the campaign, including promotion and review on indie gaming websites. This means developing a website so that people can easily view the work. Bitbucket's capabilities in this regard are clunky: they go by the username, not the project name. Consequently, the most rational, expedient, and cheap way to do this, is to change my Bitbucket username to "tolandsunknown". In the future, this will allow us to serve static webpages from a URL of http://tolandsunknown.bitbucket.org . We don't have any such presently; this is just preparation. Also, I personally was uncomfortable having my name so strongly associated with the "To Lands Unknown" campaign. As large as my ego is, and as much as I like to take bows, it really didn't sit well with me that the URL made it look like it's my personal work. I think we can all agree that "tolandsunknown" is a much better branding and web presence for all of our efforts than "bvanevery". :doh:

Yes, tolandsunknown/tolandsunknown is slightly annoyingly redundant. When we write a sequel, it will not seem so bad.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Somehow my saved games are now messed up. This happened some time in the past 24 hours, but I can't be sure what was pulled from Mercurial. Also, um, it happened after I changed the name of the repository, so that is conceivably a factor. Wesnoth complains about illegal terrain codes Xuq and Ur^Ey. Xuq is a cave wall. ^Ey is an overlay for stars in Ka-Gatta. Any ideas about this? I'd like to keep going with my saved games as I'm rebalancing things on Hard. If not, I'll punt, but I'm curious / mildly concerned what causes saved games to be invalidated. It's not the end of the world if it happens to a developer doing tests, but it doesn't help our cause if it happens to players.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

bvanevery wrote:Somehow my saved games are now messed up. ...
I made the campaign definition verbose to minimize the chance of conflict. Just decompress the desired savefile, open the decompressed savefile, and change the campaign definition to "CAMPAIGN_TO_LANDS_UNKNOWN".
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Espreon wrote:I made the campaign definition verbose to minimize the chance of conflict.
That, I almost figured out.
Just decompress the desired savefile, open the decompressed savefile, and change the campaign definition to "CAMPAIGN_TO_LANDS_UNKNOWN".
That solved it. From this we see that it helps when I know what I am doing. :lol2:
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

In "Chaos" I am getting a non-fatal Lua error when Rashti moves on the pathway to Aerius. "Bad argument #3 to 'format' (number expected, got nil)". The error seems to be issued at the start of every turn.

Also, if units stay on certain hexes in the lower left corner of the screen, the wind from the Abyss does not drag them. I suspect this has something to do with resizing the edge hexes for improved visibility.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Your two errors seem related - I can get the Lua error without having Rashti move along the path just by having a unit in the bottom corner. It's part of the Lua built into the game (wml-tags.lua), so I'll see if I can identify the problem. The Lua error, might stop further movement of the units, so it might just be the one space.
It has nothing to do with resizing the map though, since that map has never been resized.

Observations so far:
wesnoth.find_vacant_tile is returning nil, which causes the format error. Now to find which call to move_unit makes that happen.
vortex event tries to move a unit from -2,34 to 0,33 when error occurs. I now have a collection of bugs to report:
The have_unit tag returns true for an off-map location in some cases. Reporting bug on gna.
Worked around above problem, locations 1,34 and 2,34 don't move but lua error message is gone.
The actual Lua error message has already been replaced with a more meaningful one in trunk (destination was also off-map, so could not be moved to).
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Ok, how many people think Sun Dome is boring, or tedious? Espreon said "yes." Too many units in the way, he said. I'd like to understand it in more depth. Maybe there's a cheap fix for it. The main thing I've always found tedious about Sun Dome, is walking down the mountain 2 hexes at a time.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

I found a neat bug. In Mag-Magar, Mehir can be trapped under the tower and unable to move. See attachments. This is because one of the hexes has a type "Keep (Flat)" when it should just be impassable. Another hex has the code "Flat (Impassable)." The WML routine is filtering for the Xv terrain code.

Also when the tower falls, being pushed to the northwest side of the tower is a deathtrap. There's no escape from that pocket, and it is done without warning. I have adjusted the filter so that the northwest side is not included.
Attachments
Mehir_under_tower.7z
(56.22 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
before_Mehir_under_tower.7z
(54.39 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

The Tharis witch in the upper left corner of Mag-Magar is flashing a "red rectangle with a star in it" icon when she recruits. Looks like a rendering error. An alpha channel problem perhaps?
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

bvanevery wrote:The Tharis witch in the upper left corner of Mag-Magar is flashing a "red rectangle with a star in it" icon when she recruits. Looks like a rendering error. An alpha channel problem perhaps?
Yes. It will be fixed in the new version of Era of Magic.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

I came pretty close to solving the map continuity problems. I moved the battle with Reficul outside the Great Circle. I broke the hugely long narrative in "Far North" into manageable chunks. I used the construction stages of the Great Circle for background images, roughly synching them to Atiros' journey. I made paths for all the different parts of Atiros' journey, entering them by hand because I was too lazy to learn to use the editing tool. Atiros' ship gets swept by a hurricane, causing him to crash on the west side of the peninsula. All his crew are killed. Far North explains that hurricanes are really common, in a bit of back and forth between Atiros and Mehir about whose climate is worse. The only thing that still sucks is Mehir's totally straightforward trip to Saffros. Oh well, at least the suckage is buried a lot deeper than before. I think I just spared us a reworking of the map. "Bad terrain" is now the canonical explanation for the lack of contact. Not just by land, but also by sea. This particular stretch of water is courting disaster.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I've just seen these changes and I'm impressed. Well done! Thanks ;)
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

inferno8 wrote:I've just seen these changes and I'm impressed. Well done! Thanks ;)
Plus I added a hurricane. A repurposed Air God. Soon, a diamond bottle for the Water of Life.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

To Lands Unknown v1.5 is now available!

Code: Select all

-the scenario 6 is now a playable mission;
-dialogues and story improvements;
-grammar cleanups;
-Atiros's journey is now shown on the world map;
-gameplay balanced on hard;
-code cleanups
This version is available only on 1.9.x!

Thanks go to bvanevery, Alarantalara and Espreon. This is your release guys ;)
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: To Lands Unknown v1.5

Post by doofus-01 »

Scenario 3 wouldn't load. There were no messages aside from the "unknown scenario" one. I had downloaded the era and campaign from the web interface late yesterday, so I think they were the latest. I'm using BfW 1.9.4.

From the first two scenarios, I can say I really like how far from the standard "kill the orc sitting in a keep" it is. I did find it a bit confusing and hard to get into. I'm mostly thinking of the material after the big blue hand of scenario 2. Scenario 1 is OK. Maybe I just needed to get acclimated to the lore of the land.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects