To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pinnerup

Re: To Lands Unknown 3.0 for 1.14

Post by pinnerup »

Just got Wesnoth 1.14 and discovered this campaign, that I'd never seen before. It is astonishingly well made indeed! Excellent job!

Is there any walkthrough or anything like that available anywhere? I've not been able to find one.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello pinnerup and thank you for your comment :)

At the moment there is no walkthrough available yet. The campaign is still under developement (together with ForestDragon we are working on implementing a special gameplay mode allowing players to unlock an alternative "hidden" story layer). Once it is ready and bugs are fixed the campaign will become stable. Then I'll prepare a topic in the walkthroughs section on the forums :)

Anyway I have prepared a youtube video with me playing the first 2 scenarios. If you want to show BfW and TLU to new players, feel free to share it ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
pinnerup

Post by pinnerup »

If I may venture a comment: The graphics are generally awesome, but sometimes they are so fancy that they're hard to comprehend. In the scenario "Siege of Mag Magar" it's very hard to tell from the graphics which squares are unwalkable and which not – and of course this is very important for strategy when positioning your units. This goes particularly for the golden debris to the top right of the starting pad and the darker patch of debris just to the right of the starting pad.

I find myself setting labels on the map to denote impassable and unwalkable fields to better plan my moves.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Looking at the minimap helps a lot with seeing what is unwalkable.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Might I suggest using the new (1.14) "Cutscene" and "Cutscene_Minimal" themes for your cutscenes? They hide the sidebar, top bar, map borders, and the gray off-map background.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

That's a pretty interesting idea. I didn't even know of the existence of such themes. I'll definitely try them out! ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Once again, this is an amazing campaign and true art. I love it. Unfortunately I'm stuck in "Transition" as the cut scene breaks the game. I so far deactivated all unit animations I could find, but it did not change a thing. I also had the same problems I mentioned in the versions before. During animations of (mostly Rashi) the transparent part of graphics are not transparent and show a rectangle in different colors (black, grey etc.). I've also played the version in german, which is broken.
Spoiler:
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello Heindal and thank you for the bug report.

The animation in the Transition scenario is quite demanding in terms of system memory. I thought disabling all animations fixed this, but it looks the problem is still there. I am going to redesign this animation a bit to fix all potential issues. The fix should be available in the next version of the campaign.
Heindal wrote: May 15th, 2018, 10:05 pm During animations of (mostly Rashi) the transparent part of graphics are not transparent and show a rectangle in different colors (black, grey etc.).
I have never encountered such an issue. :hmm: May I know the basic specifics of your machine?
Creator of Era of Magic

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi inferno8,

well I've seen these rectangles a lot on three computers so far, in different wesnoth and add-on versions. So it's hard to tell whats going wrong.
All of them have nvidia graphic cards and windows (XP, 7, 8.1, 10). I think the last time you gave me an advice which worked somehow :hmm:.
Maybe I will find this advice and share it.

An easy fix for the Transition problem would be to make a scenario before Transition, where you ask the player if he wants to see the animation or not. If he chooses "yes" he will start Transition, if not he will start the scenario after Transition. Well it's a workaround, but that could do the trick.

Kind regards

Heindal

Edit: just checked my pms and forum posts. I've found an old version reply in 2.0, but it seems impossible to find the older posts by searching :annoyed:.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

To Lands Unknown 3.0.1 is now available!
tlu_safemode.jpg
The major feature of this release is the option to skip animated cutscenes entirely or to play them in a "safe mode" preventing the game from crashing. Heindal's previous post gave me an inspiration to make this. Thank you! ;)

Also, the new version utilizes a new special theme designed for cutscenes. This theme temporarily disables UI allowing players to focus on animated clips without being distracted by panels and minimaps. I'd like to thank Vultraz for suggesting it. :)

The full changelog is here:

Code: Select all

Version 3.0.1
- Scenarios
	> scenario 00 - Prologue
		* made Wonderful Jinni dialog accessible only once
	> scenario 22 - Ruins
		* fixed missing unit id error
- Graphics
	* resized the Transition cutscene
	* improved timing of the title cutscene
- General
	* added an option to skip cutscenes
	* implemented safe mode for game-crashing cutscenes
	* implemented special cutscene theme
Creator of Era of Magic

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Wow! Simply amazing. Thanks for that update.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

@inferno8
I like that you updated the final version. xD
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

It is still far from being the final version :lol: As I said earlier there is 3.1 under development. It will add a very interesting and unique feature. It should be ready within a month and a half, so stay tuned!
Creator of Era of Magic

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

But it clearly said 'final'. :P
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Konrad2 wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:18 pm But it clearly said 'final'. :P
what it meant was the final 3.0 version (the earlier ones were betas of the 3.0 version, of sorts)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic