To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

froakie

Re: To Lands Unknown 3.1.2 - a new gameplay mode!

Post by froakie »

"Unique. Immersive. Exotic."

My experiences with TLU

The story, the world and the characters were far more than interesting. I quite enjoyed the mistery surrounding the whole. All along I was thirsty for the thrill of exploration.
A little bit more work, some re-scripting an this could be a great fanfic lol

The layout of the maps were staggering! Never have I seen this method applied in this extent to create a custom map where depth exists. At first it was a shock to me. However, I got accustomed to it in no time.

Last but not least, this became one of my favorite Wesnoth campaigns. It deserves the place besides IftU, UtBS, SotA, and DiD.

Keep up the great work guys! I'm eager to see the continuation!

Thanks for being introduced to this universe,
froakie
Krillian57

Post by Krillian57 »

First of all I love this campaign so far and all the work put into it is staggering. However I’ve noticed a few issues. 1. The first time I leveled my leader (forgot his name) I chose the meditation ability but when he got promoted to grand summoner it stopped working. 2. The desert cloak thing I gave to a elite camel but he leveled back into an elite camel again not the level 3. 3. The biggest one though is that on the chaos scenario When aeros gets the portal open he is unreachable even by carpets and elementals. There’s also an objective marker but when I moved my leader there nothing happened. I also tried killing aeros before the portal opened but then the game just errored
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Krillian57 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 2:28 am 3. The biggest one though is that on the chaos scenario When aeros gets the portal open he is unreachable even by carpets and elementals. There’s also an objective marker but when I moved my leader there nothing happened.
The unit who you first met on the previous map is the one that needs to move to the marker.
Krillian57

Post by Krillian57 »

Ok thanks
Krillian57

Post by Krillian57 »

Now that I’ve redone it I realize I should have gotten that from the dialogue. Thanks though
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

Played the campaign again because I had quite the good memory of it...
Up to the last few levels it was just as I remembered
Spoiler:
Awesome campaign, good work d(OwO
Spoiler:
Prof_Hari_Seldon

Post by Prof_Hari_Seldon »

inferno8, what improvements to the campaign are you planning? Basically, how finished is the campaign? I want to go through the campaign only once, and am happy to wait until the campaign is ready.

I have some time right now to play the campaign if it is ready.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Prof_Hari_Seldon wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm inferno8, what improvements to the campaign are you planning? Basically, how finished is the campaign? I want to go through the campaign only once, and am happy to wait until the campaign is ready.
Storywise the campaign is complete. There may be some minor dialog improvements and bugfixes in the future but they shouldn't affect your gameplay experience in a significant way :)
SpiderAja wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 1:41 pm Played the campaign again because I had quite the good memory of it...
Up to the last few levels it was just as I remembered
It is nice to see a veteran TLU player ;) The campaign evolved much in the last few years. I am glad you like it even more than before. Thanks :)
froakie wrote: December 31st, 2018, 10:37 pm Keep up the great work guys! I'm eager to see the continuation!
Thank you for the kind words @froakie :)

@white_haired_uncle: you did a great job listing all these typos etc. I am planning to include your findings and proposals in the next update ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
y2kid

Post by y2kid »

Are we expecting a continuation of that soonish (even a pre-alpha version)? I remember this campaign as one of the better ones, if not the best I've played and I check the thread every now and then to see if you've released a 2nd part.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

@y2kid: There will be a prequel somewhere in the future. The initial design work has been partially done but overall it is far from finished at this point.
Creator of Era of Magic

Prof_Hari_Seldon

Post by Prof_Hari_Seldon »

Wow on Hard the
Spoiler:
I beat the game, now I'll try badass mode.

I really hope the prequel is
Spoiler:
Should you call
Spoiler:
Also please add Djin advice for
Spoiler:
What is the point of the
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Is there a chance that the Badass mode breaks the replay of the first (or 0th (?)) scenario?

EDIT:
I've also uploaded my replays (only badass mode, as I overwrote the 'normal' ones with those >.<) here.
Can I perhaps convince you to put this link (and the one I'll have some day for the normal TLU) on the first page and in the add-on description?
Attachments
TLU-Morning in al-Kamija Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(26.43 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Prof_Hari_Seldon wrote: February 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm Wow on Hard the (spoilers...)
The scenario you mentioned needs to be improved. Currently it is very hard to beat it. Too hard in my opinion. It will be fixed in the next version.
Prof_Hari_Seldon wrote: February 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm Should you call (spoilers...)
Spoiler:
Prof_Hari_Seldon wrote: February 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm Also please add Djin advice for (spoilers...)
Good idea :)
Prof_Hari_Seldon wrote: February 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm What is the point of the (spoilers...)
I guess it is there because of RIPLIB but I am not exactly sure.
Konrad2 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 12:39 pm Is there a chance that the Badass mode breaks the replay of the first (or 0th (?)) scenario?
Interesting... It looks like the replay starts fine. I can even see the replay button(s) during the initial cutscene. But when it stops playing the buttons ...magically disappear! :shock:
I think it is caused by [change_theme] tag. On prestart the scenario switches theme to "Cutscene_Minimal" and starts normally. Then the cutscene is played. When it finishes playing the theme is changed to "" (nothing -> default) (line:923) and in that very moment the replay buttons disappear. So the issue may be related to the way [change_theme] works but I cannot confirm it. In the worst case scenario we are dealing with a Wesnoth bug here. It would be good to have one of developers comment on this. :hmm:
Konrad2 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 12:39 pm Can I perhaps convince you to put this link (and the one I'll have some day for the normal TLU) on the first page and in the add-on description?
I've added the link to the first post. Thanks! :)
Creator of Era of Magic

WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Fun campaign. Played on badass mode becuase it amuses but it makes me wonder, is badass mode harder or easier than a normal play?

Edit: guess its easier. In theory you might lose out on a few units in scenario 2, and the badass verison of scenario 3 might be trickier and give you less chance for exp, but most of the other levels are easier and you get at least one nice bonus. Thoug the badass dialogue is pretty amusing to read when it comes up.

Also im not aware of a difference between the normal and badass verison of the Siege level, other than the fact you get a free levelled unit from an earlier scenario with a unique trait
Last edited by WanderingHero on March 18th, 2019, 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Just a small thing, but the campaign awards (most times) the wrong laurel/wreath upon completion. (Apparently caused by using the old difficulties syntax.)
Details as to why and how to fix it can be found in issue #3983.