To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KirasiN91

Re: To Lands Unknown v1.5.6; v1.4.5

Post by KirasiN91 »

Thank you :) apparently I had EoMa 1.6, since 1.7 didn't appear for me.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

The descriptions are under the care of a few people (including me). However, they haven't been updated in ages, mostly due to other stuff I do. I am pretty sure that the oddly-worded ones are leftovers from my grammar fixes, but currently I don't have much time for them and anyway they are one of the least important things in the campaign IMO.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

I am currently playing this campaign, and all I can say I am stunned at how well it presented. I just like the mechanics behind, and contrary to what someone above told, for me (running on Linux) even the rain effect works at an acceptable speed on an old single-core 2GHz Centrino at 1400x1050.

The use of those large multi-hex images in the background is just awesome graphically even though they could well be polished for a distant "final" release. They really set up the mood for the game, something completely different than "regular" Wesnoth look. The use of Era of Magic also puts this game in a far different perspective - all the new units to explore after our usual battlers! Definitely good.

What I think this campaign lacks a little was I think the economical management. It seems like that it is not important at all in most scenarios how you get through it financially (Except for one or two so far), you might not even need to pay any attention to the financial aspect of villages as you will massing such hordes again such enemies that the costs could not be offset even with owning all the scarce villages. And here can come a few minor glitches then: for one considering the above maybe the goals of the individual scenarios should be cleared a little (Remove the gold carry-over if it has no importance anyways). An other glitch I noted is in the otherwise nicely crafted info system for the units: Some units, like the Grand Summoner occurs twice (Guess for that at the beginning scenarios you can not up them to level 4 which resulted in two distinct unit: one upgradeable and one not), and one Grand Summoner I had being in the non-upgradeable "group" gave me some worries later (Will he level up or not? He did level up - that's nice!). An other minor glitch at the beginning is again for summoners: On the third scenario you get a hint on summoning while at that point of the game you just can't have any unit with this capability yet. Maybe it just looks a glitch for me.

Well, much the fuss, but actually those are really minor things occurring like which tend to crawl in here and there even in the official scenarios. Take them as I could only find these, so this is a very good campaign! It is absolutely clear that it was a huge investment in time to round this all up! Thumbs up all the way! :D
Stellarnight

Post by Stellarnight »

Hi. Enjoyed this campaign massively. Artwork is breathtaking and i would like to see more of such campaigns:)

However i have a minor quip with Sun-dome. There is WAY too many enemy units and it takes forever for them to resolve their turn. It really kills the pace of what is a smash and grab kind of scenario. A suggestion would be to stop spawning units after a certain event; perhaps when Mehir obtains the artifact or simply the AI does not move units that are out of a certain radius.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Is this a bug? In that treasure cave level, I'm trying to make my neutral summoner take that sword, and it tells me "only a summoner can use this". Do neutral summoners not qualify for using that weapon?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

It is a bug. Thanks for the report. It will be fixed in the next release.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Thanks for replying so quickly! When will this update be? I was REALLY hoping to get my neutral summoner to have that weapon, and depending on when the update is, I might just hold off on playing the campaign until it's updated so I can do that.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I don't know. If you're comfortable with svn you can check out the fixed version from UMC-dev.

And though I haven't said it before, you know you have an excellent campaign when you manage to get at least three other people to help you fix bugs without having to ask.
kjw

Post by kjw »

This is one of my favorite campaigns(out of 30-40) although there were typo's and some reloading errors, its amazing overall. on the 12 scenario at the moment, probable gonna restart on hard medium is interesting but not quite challenging enough although more challenging then a lot of hards
Radh

Post by Radh »

Hey there, I just started playing this campaign. (I play on the stable client; if it's on the development one).
The dialogue seemed a little rough around the corners, but I don't notice any typos (yet; will comment like the others if I do), and I suppose it could just be the style of the story. It's just quite different from mainline (this is the first user-created campaign I'm playing).

Magnificent terrain! Though, if any artists would like to add more details and make it less square, that'd help, but it's unnecessary with this multi-dimensional map. I've never seen this before; absolutely astounding!

A grammatical error I found was after the first scenario, when talking about the Abyss and such:
Spoiler:
Right when the second scenario starts-
Spoiler:
lynx

Post by lynx »

indeed, an awesome campaign!

Playing with 0.9.13 and noticed a wml problem in the red gate tunnel scenario. One of the commands failed (scroll_to iirc), so I didn't get to see the old summoner killed/naive rashti mislead, so I just eliminated everyone and all went forward without a hitch.

edit: Another scroll_to (x= invalid) error was encountered, but sorry, I don't remember in which scenario. Should've reported it asap.
Last edited by lynx on February 6th, 2012, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Hello, I have finished the campaign and found few quirks within, for example if you kill the mage first time it flees higher, but if you kill it again at same turn (that was possible on easy, I sent few summoners beforehand, the mage sprite disappeared completely, with the game behaved like if it was OK.
Spoiler:
lynx

Post by lynx »

Spoiler:
crohunter

Post by crohunter »

How to beat the North land scenario?
Spoiler:
lynx

Post by lynx »

I think it stops once he's dead. Make sure to take the terrain to your advantage, as they're very slow.