Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
Reepurr
Posts: 1088
Joined: August 29th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Reepurr » January 18th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Just released 0.6.0 onto the server. I believe Easy level to now be balanced, now I have to get my skill level high enough to do a medium campaign (groan).

I also fixed the chasm bug, and made Ssssssssrassssskkkkk (or whatever the saurian leader's called) more nervous. However, I might have loaded the final scenario off an old save of scenario 7, so if you have problems with doing it on Easy, please alert me.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!

User avatar
Elvish_Hunter
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1394
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Location: Lintanir Forest...

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Elvish_Hunter » April 3rd, 2011, 8:31 pm

So, I played Story of a Drake Outcast on Easy, campaign version 0.6.0, on Wesnoth 1.9.5+svn. There are some issues that I found:
- The Drake Hunter line has no attack and defense sounds at all.
- In The Battle of Trathel's Cave, I got a WML error: "Invalid WML found: [terrain] missing required terrain= attribute" when moving on the dam at 21,21.
- In Across the Desert, Qv terrain is deprecated, and you should use Mv (is still a volcano). Also, looking at its WML, I found some references to #ifdef MEDIUM : but in the _main.cfg there is difficulties="EASY,NORMAL,HARD"; in other words, you should replace MEDIUM with NORMAL, otherwise these #ifdef won't work. Finally, a small suggestion: what about giving a small reward for defeating the bandit leader? Like, say, a strength potion, or a flask of scorpion poison for melee weapons, or some gold, or a loyal Giant Scorpion with AMLA - just to give some ideas. :)
- In Necromancers, this isn't a bug, but perhaps a missing feature: when a unit moves on the treasure chest, you can play a sound for opening it, and one sound when gold is given to player. To add flavour, you can also add a rumble sound and an earthquake when the Dwarf pushes the button that opens the exit, and some attack and defend sound for the Gate units. Also a [scroll_to] towards such gates may be useful.
- In Windswept canyon, I got this stderr error:

Code: Select all

warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:healer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
Finally, the campaign seemed me well balanced, at least on Easy. Good work! :wink:
Current maintainer of these add-ons:
1.14: The Sojournings of Grog, A Rough Life, The White Troll (co-author), Wesnoth Lua Pack
1.12: Children of Dragons

User avatar
Reepurr
Posts: 1088
Joined: August 29th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Reepurr » April 4th, 2011, 7:28 am

:) Thanks for posting here!
Elvish_Hunter wrote:- The Drake Hunter line has no attack and defense sounds at all.
I forgot to give them animations...oops.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:- In The Battle of Trathel's Cave, I got a WML error: "Invalid WML found: [terrain] missing required terrain= attribute" when moving on the dam at 21,21.
I can assure you that it has a terrain= attribute. Here's the script:

Code: Select all

    [event]
	name=moveto
	[filter]
	    x=21
	    y=21
	[/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=unit
            message= _ "I destroyed the dam!"
        [/message]
                [terrain]
                    x=21
                    y=21
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
                [redraw]
                [/redraw]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=21
		    y=21
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
                [terrain]
                    x=20
                    y=20
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
                [terrain]
                    x=20
                    y=21
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
		[terrain]
		    x=21
		    y=22
                   terrain=Qlf
		[/terrain]
                [redraw]
                [/redraw]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=20
		    y=20
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=20
		    y=21
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=21
		    y=22
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
                [terrain]
                    x=19
                    y=21
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
                [redraw]
                [/redraw]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=19
		    y=21
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
    [/event]
Elvish_Hunter wrote:- In Across the Desert, Qv terrain is deprecated, and you should use Mv (is still a volcano). Also, looking at its WML, I found some references to #ifdef MEDIUM : but in the _main.cfg there is difficulties="EASY,NORMAL,HARD"; in other words, you should replace MEDIUM with NORMAL, otherwise these #ifdef won't work.
bleh. I don't like difficulty levels. Also, thanks for the Mv warning.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Finally, a small suggestion: what about giving a small reward for defeating the bandit leader? Like, say, a strength potion, or a flask of scorpion poison for melee weapons, or some gold, or a loyal Giant Scorpion with AMLA - just to give some ideas. :)
You just gave one of your units 32xp and stopped
Spoiler:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:- In Necromancers, this isn't a bug, but perhaps a missing feature: when a unit moves on the treasure chest, you can play a sound for opening it, and one sound when gold is given to player. To add flavour, you can also add a rumble sound and an earthquake when the Dwarf pushes the button that opens the exit, and some attack and defend sound for the Gate units. Also a [scroll_to] towards such gates may be useful.
Chests- you can? :shock: I think I will.
Rumbles, defends: Sounds like a good idea.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:- In Windswept canyon, I got this stderr error:

Code: Select all

warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:healer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sssrasskk' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
Finally, the campaign seemed me well balanced, at least on Easy. Good work! :wink:
Um...dunno what recruitment pattern's moaning about for the saurians. Are Skirmishers no longer scouts?

Thanks for the balancing! :D
Just...whatever you do...don't play on Hard. It's not balanced...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!

User avatar
Elvish_Hunter
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1394
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Location: Lintanir Forest...

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Elvish_Hunter » April 4th, 2011, 9:07 am

Reepurr wrote:I can assure you that it has a terrain= attribute. Here's the script:
Fine. But I re-downloaded right now the campaign and got the same error. This is the script inside 0.6.0:

Code: Select all

    [event]
	name=moveto
	[filter]
	    x=21
	    y=21
	[/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=unit
            message= _ "I destroyed the dam!"
        [/message]
                [terrain]
                    x=21
                    y=21
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
                [redraw]
                [/redraw]
		[kill]
		    side=2
		    x=21
		    y=21
		    animate=yes
		[/kill]
                [terrain]
                    x=20
                    y=20
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
                [terrain]
                    x=20
                    y=21
                    terrain=Qlf
                [/terrain]
		[terrain]
		    x=21
		    y=22
		[/terrain]
and, as you can see, [terrain] at x=21, y=22 misses terrain=Qlf. :P
Reepurr wrote:Also, thanks for the Mv warning.
It's not only a warning: the new Mv terrain, when surrounded with three mountain hexes below it, makes a bigger volcano with smoke included.
Reepurr wrote:You just gave one of your units 32xp and stopped
So, there is already a reward. Good. :wink:
Reepurr wrote:Chests- you can? :shock: I think I will.
The quickest way will be to add a sound=open-chest.wav to the message said by the drake and a sound=gold.ogg to the narrator's message. Or you can use the [sound] tag. Your choice.
Reepurr wrote:Um...dunno what recruitment pattern's moaning about for the saurians. Are Skirmishers no longer scouts?
Let me check... the Saurian usages are:
Oracle -> archer
Soothsayer, Augur -> healer
Skirmisher, Ambusher, Flanker -> scout
The error is due to the fact that you give immediatly a recruitment_pattern, but enable recruitment later. Of course, the engine complains being unable to recruit at all - perhaps to fix this you can try using [modify_side] [ai] to give recruitment_pattern only after enabling recruitment (I haven't tried). Also, you can replace this code:

Code: Select all

	[allow_recruit]
	    side=2
	    type=Saurian Skirmisher
	[/allow_recruit]
	[allow_recruit]
	    side=2
	    type=Saurian Augur
	[/allow_recruit]
	[allow_recruit]
	    side=2
	    type=Saurian Oracle
	[/allow_recruit]
with a more compact one (see DirectActionsWML)

Code: Select all

[set_recruit] # or [allow_recruit]: in this case, it isn't much different
    side=2
    recruit=Saurian Skirmisher,Saurian Augur,Saurian Oracle # yes, both accept comma-separated lists
[/set_recruit]
Current maintainer of these add-ons:
1.14: The Sojournings of Grog, A Rough Life, The White Troll (co-author), Wesnoth Lua Pack
1.12: Children of Dragons

User avatar
Ivan_D
Posts: 11
Joined: May 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Ivan_D » July 16th, 2012, 2:37 am

Just wanted to say thank you. It's a small easy campaign. I enjoyed playing.

Even had a little trouble playing Revival (hard difficulty): first I tried to play all-def and wait for undead to jump into the river - that didn't work: they waited until the night came and then I noticed that I can't stop them (and those damn saurians with skirmish ability came and I was losing tons of units cornered in the bottom-level part of the map) so the second time I played offensive: just caught the undead under the sun when they were just starting to get out of the tower: burned them to ashes and saurians came too late to be of any help. :)

Nice one.
Chain suicide buries your survival superhero alive.

Post Reply