Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Reepurr

Story of a Drake Outcast - 0.5.0 now out!

Post by Reepurr »

EDIT2: Bye bye, outdated first post...

This is the comments thread for the campaign Story of a Drake Outcast, which currently has 4 scenarios and 1 talk scenario. Unfortunately, it's not finished, but development is still ongoing. :)

This campaign was originally designed for 1.9, but is also on 1.8; there may be some bugs in 1.8 that aren't in 1.9 so it would be much appreciated if any bug complaints while playing included the version.
Last edited by Reepurr on November 15th, 2010, 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Reepurr

Re: A Drake's Story, v. 0.1.1 (for 1.9.1+)

Post by Reepurr »

No comments? :(

Version 0.1.2 has been zipped and is available for download at the bottom of this post. Changes made:
Scenario 1 has been edited to try and counter the tomato surprise, and also there are guards in the mine.
Scenario 2 has been added...However, it uses a name=sighted event so you'll have to turn on instant shroud updates until you see the boss.
A_Drakes_Story.zip
(21.03 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Reepurr

Re: A Drake's Story, v. 0.1.3 (for 1.9.1+)

Post by Reepurr »

I can't believe I've just triple posted.
ADS is now on the 1.9.1 addons server (as A Drake's Tale, due to a stupid mistake).

Scenario 1 in Easy mode is, I think, finished, but not on Medium/Hard,
Scenario 2 - I'd like a coder to inform me of a way round the name=sighted event, which is badly glitched,
Scenario 3 has just been released and probably has an awful lot of glitches.

Please note that, as Scenario 1 is so difficult, the campaign has been given Intermediate status.

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Reepurr wrote: Scenario 2 - I'd like a coder to inform me of a way round the name=sighted event, which is badly glitched,
Every workaround is either inaccurate or complicated. The fewer the former the more the ladder and vice versa. Really try using another event type if possible (usually "moving to an area where the sighting should happen"). You can check out zookeeper's ON_SIGHTING macro (in 1.9's core/macros/event-utils.cfg).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Now I know why you need a hidden e-mail for the add-on server...

I...um...accidentally...deleted the...pbl file...so I have no random passphrase...
:x

Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Work has been continued:
* The name=sighted event has been replaced with name=moveto. <-- not working
* Scenario 1 has been made easier, but has a pesky bug stopping a few spawns.
* Scenario 2 has been made harder.
* Scenario 3 has been linked with Scenario 2 by a surprise event.
* Scenario 4 (entirely talk) has been added.
* The campaign will be renamed Story of a Drake Outcast, unless anyone has any complaints.

Unfortunately, I can't overwrite the current campaign on addons because I still don't have the passphrase. :annoyed:
What can I do?

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

umm..wait for 1.9.2 and the addon list should get cleared if i recall correctly

meanwhile - don't use the same id in different [unit] clauses when you want ot spawn units like that, this makes all but one disappear if you save and reload the game

and it wouild be nice to move the drake fighter in scenario 1 from 10,28 to 12,27 so he can be moved into defending the broken wall neatly like the other of his kin
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:Reepurr wrote:
Scenario 2 - I'd like a coder to inform me of a way round the name=sighted event, which is badly glitched,

Every workaround is either inaccurate or complicated. The fewer the former the more the ladder and vice versa. Really try using another event type if possible (usually "moving to an area where the sighting should happen"). You can check out zookeeper's ON_SIGHTING macro (in 1.9's core/macros/event-utils.cfg).
Reepurr wrote:* The name=sighted event has been replaced with name=moveto. <-- not working
As Anonymissimus wrote, every workaround for sighted has its downsides. For example, there may be problems with Delay Shroud Update activated. Anyway, I can suggest you two workarounds to integrate sighted events with moveto events.
The first one is used in Love to Death, and is this:
Spoiler:
The second one is how I work around it in TSoG (just an example. It uses a NEAREST_UNIT macro that check what's the nearest unit to the moving enemy.)
Spoiler:
Reepurr wrote:Unfortunately, I can't overwrite the current campaign on addons because I still don't have the passphrase. :annoyed:
What can I do?
StDrake wrote:umm..wait for 1.9.2 and the addon list should get cleared if i recall correctly
The 1.9 server will remain the same for the whole 1.9 development cycle. To have your password cleared, or your add-on removed so you can upload it again, you should contact a developer.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Server restart is when the beta series will come out afaik; around 1.9.8 or so I guess.

I can recommend zookeeper's ON_SIGHTING macro; the biggest drawback I found via careful visual inspectation is that it doesn't fire instantly if shroud is updated manually but at the next move or attack instead. But since in 1.9 shroud is always updated instantly currently...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Whoa. Okay, SOMEONE ACTUALLY POSTED FEEDBACK!

...Ehem.
STDrake, I'll be looking at that unit-moving in a little while.

Anyway, contact a developer to get A Drake's Tale removed from the addon server?
You mean PM, for example, beetlenaut? Or did I misunderstand?

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Reepurr wrote:Anyway, contact a developer to get A Drake's Tale removed from the addon server?
You mean PM, for example, beetlenaut? Or did I misunderstand?
Yes, you understood right :wink:
Anonymissimus, in A Gryphon's Tale thread, wrote:Any add-ons server admin is allowed to delete the existing passphrase and make a new one for the new maintainer
Check also here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31793
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Reeppur, you said on my thread that you needed to install 1.8 to put it on the add-on server. If you're willing, I could mantain the 1.8 version of your campaign. I charge minimum wage though :wink:

Seriously though, if you want I would be willing to do it. I like how the campaign is turning out so far :)
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reepurr

Story of a Drake Outcast 0.1.4 now out!

Post by Reepurr »

@ bigkahuna: I take you up on your offer - thanks!
Bear in mind you cannot open the maps in Map Editor, so you'll have to use a replace all in Notepad/Text Edit/Whatever to get rid of the 1.9-only terrains.
(e.g. Urb, Uue)
And also, could the entrance to the mine in scenario 1 be labeled "Abandoned Mine Entrance" since there's no rails in 1.8?

@ everyone_else: It's now on the addons server, under Story of a Drake Outcast. I recently did some last-minute changes; if the game crashes on you please tell me...

bigkahuna

V. 0.1.4 ---Now for 1.8 and 1.9+!

Post by bigkahuna »

Story of a Drake Outcast is now available for:

•Wesnoth Version 1.8+

•Wesnoth Version 1.9+

Enjoy! :D
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reepurr

Re: Story of a Drake Outcast, v. 0.1.4 (for 1.9.1+)

Post by Reepurr »

*BUMP*
I've completely revamped the two (so far, that is) cave scenarios, hopefully they'll be more enjoyable and it will cause a little more interest in the campaign.