1.16 SP Campaign: Trinity

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pags

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign: Trinity

Post by Pags »

this bit in ZA2b of Trinity2 seems to be bugged, rendering the level unwinnable.

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=die
        [filter]
            side=3
        [/filter]
        [filter_condition]
            [variable]
                name=twins_fought
                equals=2
            [/variable]
            [not]
                [have_unit]
                    side=3,4
                    count=2-99
                [/have_unit]
            [/not]
        [/filter_condition]
I believe the not have_unit bit should be side=1,4, as the human player is side 3 in this scenario.

I had trouble with one of the subsequent missions (the one where you use blue engineer thralls to sabotage mechs) where I had defeated all the bosses and was in the exit room. I didn't look at the scenario file, but it's possible the cause was similar "count=2-99" code, as there were two enemy units that were stuck flitting back and forth between two transporter pads. I probably could have gone back and killed them, but that would have taken about 15 movement turns of otherwise nothingness, so I just skipped to the next level in debug mode.

There are a few missions where you control two sides that are opposed and theoretically could kill each other off, where the mission objectives are something like "kill all enemy leaders" for both sides....but in doing so, you'd lose key units which I assume would trigger defeat. ZZCoda is one of these missions once you control Dardarus(sp?). Other missions when you play as the green guys (Kithon?) as part of the rotation with the other races, you have conflicting mission objectives.

In a nemesis mission near the end, where she picks up the mech, what she's supposed to do with it isn't obvious
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Pags wrote:this bit in ZA2b of Trinity2 seems to be bugged, rendering the level unwinnable.
Thanks, I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. I assume you're talking about the BfW 1.12 version. I think it was winnable, at least under some circumstances, but it's been so long since I've looked at it, I can't be sure of anything. I do remember thinking that if ever I were to write another campaign, it would not have long, convoluted scenarios like these.

As for the conflicting objectives, I don't want to spell it out like the player is an idiot, or give the non-active sides blue balls, but maybe something can be changed in the objectives pop-up.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Pags wrote:I believe the not have_unit bit should be side=1,4, as the human player is side 3 in this scenario.
I downloaded from the 1.12 server and checked out the file, and it is "side=1,4". An older WIP version I found was "side=1".
False bug reports are not cool, what gives? :annoyed:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Pags

Post by Pags »

doofus-01 wrote:
Pags wrote:I believe the not have_unit bit should be side=1,4, as the human player is side 3 in this scenario.
I downloaded from the 1.12 server and checked out the file, and it is "side=1,4". An older WIP version I found was "side=1".
False bug reports are not cool, what gives? :annoyed:
wish I could tell you then... looks like i should run a file diff though, as I had defeated all enemy units, but couldn't advance.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

It's been a month or two since I started playing this, so apologies if any of those already got fixed in the meantime.
Typos
  • "scoudrels" 3_P01_Village.cfg:430
  • "Weldynn" 3_K04_Storm.cfg:21
  • "definately" F1_P.cfg:199
  • "Recall whoever you want no" Tower_2_p.cfg:649
  • "wisedom" Tower_2_sub3.cfg:142
  • "Where do you thing you're going" Tower_3_p.cfg:173
  • "aggitated" Tower_3_p.cfg:1426
  • "airbourne" Tower_3_pII.cfg:435
  • "assitance" Tower_3_pII.cfg:626
Issues other than typos
  • When unstoring units at the beginning of a screnario after switching between characters, canattack is not reset and status is not healed.
  • At the beginning of "Rebirth", Leggon had 0 HP.
  • In "Rebirth", the elves didn't attack me at all throughout the entire scenario, no matter what I did.
  • In "High Lord", I got a Lua error. I assume this is also what causes the elf leader to make a beeline for the northwest, making him impossible to catch.
  • In "Landing", there are Invalid conditional WML errors during the cannon targetting. I assume it's because there's code inside the [if] but outside the [then]/[else] at utils/cannons.cfg:403.
  • In "Dark Heart", spawning the Zombie Dragon right behind the best place to form a defensive line, and then having it be able to attack the units I thought were shielded before I could react, felt like a bit of a cheap shot. Maybe my heart is just too soft for the realities of zombie dragon necromancy warfare. To be fair, I only forced myself in that defensive position because I naively recalled a handful of level 3 units and then got scared by the Spectres.
  • In "Tower, Second Floor (II)", my units started the scenario without restored moves and 0 HP.
  • "Tower - Upper Levels" is broken for me, the scenario ends in defeat as soon as it's my turn. I assume it's because of the inside/outside thing you have going on there, because replacing defeat_condition=no_units_left with never reveals that I apparently don't have any units on the map. Might be related to the fact that I recalled my entire recall list in the previous tower scenario (the one where the recall cost is 1), I guess? Wasn't able to play further yet because of this.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

Thanks for the typos list, I don't think I fixed any of those. I'm working my way through this on BfW 1.13, and am almost finished with the first part, so I think I've got the Lua errors and pacifist elves fixed. I haven't touched the Tower mechanics and am not that surprised to find it is broken. Could you post a save-file, preferably from the end of the scenario before you are auto-defeated?
Ceres wrote:In "Dark Heart", spawning the Zombie Dragon right behind the best place to form a defensive line, and then having it be able to attack the units I thought were shielded before I could react, felt like a bit of a cheap shot. Maybe my heart is just too soft for the realities of zombie dragon necromancy warfare. To be fair, I only forced myself in that defensive position because I naively recalled a handful of level 3 units and then got scared by the Spectres.
Could you post a save-file from this? I wasn't going for cheap shot, I probably overlooked some possible strategy a player might try.

Thanks.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I don't have a save of that particular occasion, but I tried to re-enact the situation, recalling the lvl 3 healers and forming a line between the swamp and the river to keep the sketeons at bay. The save is at a point where you just need to hit End Turn for the dragon to appear. Some units in the front are a bit carelessly placed, but it should be enough to demonstrate the point.
Dark_Heart_Demonstration.gz
(140.95 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
In my more successful attempt, I avoided any lvl 3 recalls and went for red more aggressively, on the other side of the river, so the dragon wasn't such a big problem (I assume that's what's intended).

Regarding the Tower scenario issue, this the save from the scenario in question:
Tri2-Tower_-_Upper_Levels.gz
(75.31 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
And this is the save from where I'm urged to recall whoever I need, which is the last time I saw the rest of my units:
Tri2-Tower_-_Second_Floor_Landing.gz
(67.67 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Curiously, there are exactly enough castle hexes to recall my entire recall list If I move Dardrus out of the way.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ceres wrote:Regarding the Tower scenario issue, this the save from the scenario in question:
This seemed to work OK for me. I didn't get very far into the scenario, but I was able to recall a couple units and attack a couple of the phantoms. It looks like you are using BfW 1.13.7? I don't remember what all changed between now and 1.13.7, but I think there were several issues. It's possible that has something to do with it. I think BfW 1.13.9 is going to come out "soon".
Ceres wrote:I don't have a save of that particular occasion, but I tried to re-enact the situation, recalling the lvl 3 healers and forming a line between the swamp and the river to keep the sketeons at bay. The save is at a point where you just need to hit End Turn for the dragon to appear. Some units in the front are a bit carelessly placed, but it should be enough to demonstrate the point.
I understand now, thank you. I'll look into adjusting this.
braknor

Post by braknor »

I am playing Trinity version 1.3.21b (from Wesnoth server). Under certain circumstances the scenario ZA2b of Trinity2 does not end. I am attaching a corresponding save game for the scenario. In order to reproduce the bug kill the two remaining leaders first. Then kill the flying drones. Notice, that there is a cyborg left and an "rc-car" (?) is roaming somewhere in the far Northwest part of the map. If you kill the cyborg the scenario will not end even though there are less than 2 enemies left. I think the problem is that the cyborg belongs to side 4. The filter that tests for the winning condition does not check for this side. Here is the corresponding code snippet:

[event]
        name=die
        [filter]
            side=1
        [/filter]
        [filter_condition]
            [variable]
                name=twins_fought
                equals=2
            [/variable]
            [not]
                [have_unit]
                    side=1,4
                    count=2-99
                [/have_unit]
            [/not]
        [/filter_condition]
If I change the filter in the save file to

[event]
        name=die
        [filter]
            side=1,4
        [/filter]
then the scenario ends, regardless in which order the remaining enemies are killed.
Attachments
Tri2-Dark_Planet_(IIb)__Turn_65.txt.bz2
(225.9 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thank you, braknor, that makes sense. The BfW 1.13/1.14 version will not have this problem. I think that scenario needs revision anyway.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.1 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. I am currently testing the scenario braknor found issues with, I'm not completely sure that is fixed. But the earlier scenarios should be compatible with BfW master and the recently uploaded Archaic_Era and Archaic_Resources.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi again, doofus. I must point out a small typo: it's ‘vessel’, not ‘vessal’ (in the scenario name and text for the first Khthon scenario).

One negative: playing with the Khthon feels the same as playing with the undead. I can't feel any empathy towards my characters. Perhaps it's just the fact that I really like Wesnoth's roleplaying. Or that several times it really feels as if the best tactic is to just send everything forward and many ‘characters’ can be sacrificed just like that. It's easier to send faceless mutants to their deaths than named characters.

OTOH, playing with Nemesis on my side is a blast. Mwa-ha-ha.

All in all, so far it's a nice playing experience (I think I'll just play Trinity first and then play the new version of BMR2 & 3).
As with BMR, I love the new races, even if I haven't had a face off with the Ancient Phantoms yet. I can appreciate how much work you've put into this campaign. :-D

Is the campaign supposed to be canon? Or is it alternate history?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Sadaharu,
Sadaharu wrote:Hi again, doofus. I must point out a small typo: it's ‘vessel’, not ‘vessal’ (in the scenario name and text for the first Khthon scenario).
Thanks. I might have fixed that typo in the BfW 1.13/1.14 version, but I'll have to check.
Sadaharu wrote:One negative: playing with the Khthon feels the same as playing with the undead. I can't feel any empathy towards my characters. Perhaps it's just the fact that I really like Wesnoth's roleplaying. Or that several times it really feels as if the best tactic is to just send everything forward and many ‘characters’ can be sacrificed just like that. It's easier to send faceless mutants to their deaths than named characters.
Yeah, the Khthon aren't very sympathetic characters. If I did things right though, they look a little bit better by the end of the campaign, at least Keldan should.
Sadaharu wrote:Is the campaign supposed to be canon? Or is it alternate history?
I guess you could say the campaign is alternate history. It's supposed to take place in the same universe, but it's not canon, and probably conflicts with some canon. I don't think any UMC/add-ons can really be canon.

I have been working on the BfW 1.13/1.14 version of this campaign, it will hopefully be at least a slight improvement, but it won't be a radical re-write.

Best Regards.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

doofus-01 wrote:Yeah, the Khthon aren't very sympathetic characters. If I did things right though, they look a little bit better by the end of the campaign, at least Keldan should.
As far as I remember the version I had (still have, actually) in BfW1.10 wasn't finished, the scenarios stopped a short bit after Nemesis captures Elensefar and the Queen and Dolevan awakens Seth. Well, I'll have to play and see, then. :)
I guess you could say the campaign is alternate history. It's supposed to take place in the same universe, but it's not canon, and probably conflicts with some canon. I don't think any UMC/add-ons can really be canon.

I have been working on the BfW 1.13/1.14 version of this campaign, it will hopefully be at least a slight improvement, but it won't be a radical re-write.
Alternate history… oh, OK. I'm still new around here so I'm not that familiar with all the unwritten codes and conventions that apply.
Fibon_44

Post by Fibon_44 »

Hello. I'm having problems in the "Dark Planet III" scenario as well. I sent Nemesis to the portal with the dragon and, after she left with the primevals, killed all enemy leaders, then planted the "Keldan tree" on hex 33,35, waited for the forest to spread and killed all the remaining demons. But nothing more seems to happen. A few hexes in the top part of the map stay "Large Rift" or "Small Rift" and won't get consumed by the forest. I've also skipped for quite a few turns and have also tried if I maybe had to move Haldrad or Chan to a specific place, but with no success. I'm at turn 139 now, so this seems definite. Am I supposed to do anything else? Or did I do something wrong earlier?
I'm attaching a screenshot which also includes the current scenario goals (they also didn't change after Nemesis went to the portal), do you also need a savefile? I'm a newbie and would have yet to find out where to find those.
Bildschirmfoto von »2018-03-09 00-01-21«.png
P.S.: This is my first post here, I hope I put everything in the right place. :)
P.P.S.: I'm in love with that beautiful green&purple map!