1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

Leimery wrote:any specific resolution i should change too ?
I wouldn't have any idea, just trying to gather info that might be related.
Leimery wrote:And am i missing much by not having access to to armourer ?
It should not be a critical part, no.
Leimery wrote:Would also be awesome if you had a guide somewhere on these battles.. soo hard haha
Well, at least I can say that the main battles are easier if you gain some experience in skirmishes.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Leimery

Post by Leimery »

it worked when i played around with the resolution.

another question do u gain special skill and items in this campaign? and is there a way to upgrade max lvl troops or do they stay the same.

i listened to your advice and had most of my troops levels maxed out cleared the fort hue quite easily but when there is no sense in levelling troops its slowly getting boring, hence why the previous questions.

Stroyline is awesome tho good job man
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Leimery wrote:it worked when i played around with the resolution.
Interesting. Hopefully that helps others.
Leimery wrote:another question do u gain special skill and items in this campaign? and is there a way to upgrade max lvl troops or do they stay the same.
There's some, like the shops and a few things in the main scenarios, but it's not really a focus of the campaign.
Leimery wrote:Stroyline is awesome tho good job man
Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

doofus-01 wrote:Well, that's not good. I'm not sure how ot go about fixing this though. What resolution and language are you using?

It might be related to this bug:
http://gna.org/bugs/?23822

Changing the resolution doesn't cause a crash for me, but I can't tell from the bug report whether that means anything.

Downloaded Wesnoth the other night to check out whats changed in the last ~3 years since I played, glad to see this campaign is still being maintained as its one of my favorites!

I am also experiencing the crashing shop bug. It didn't happen the first couple of times I went to the shop, but after I took fort Kuhle (sp?) and before I attacked the capital it begain crashing consistently. I found that the only way to prevent it was to switch the resolution to 800:600.

Unfortunately now I am experiencing the same crash whenever I try to equip the thiefs charm to one of my Ukian Commandos (even in 800:600 resolution). I'm wondering if it might be because I have 6 items already equipped and a 7th would need a new line to fit
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

After further testing I can confirm that it is having 7 items equipped in 800:600 resolution and opening the inventory to view them that will crash the game
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:After further testing I can confirm that it is having 7 items equipped in 800:600 resolution and opening the inventory to view them that will crash the game
Thanks, lostnumber. I can now reproduce this

It seems it crashes if resizing one of the widgets gets out of hand. What "out of hand" means is difficult to say; the scroll bars were supposed to avoid the lists from making the widgets too large, but there doesn't seem to be any human logic that I can tell for when they get applied, and there doesn't seem to be a way to force a scroll_label (such as the inventory list in the bottom right corner of the shop menu) to stay a certain size and actually use the scroll bar. I tried using spacers and linked groups as padding, but that just forces a minimum cell size, not a maximum, and the scroll bars still get applied or not at random.

I have what might be a solution, based on what I've been able to test. It doesn't help with the widget sizing and scroll bar chaos, but it does appear to prevent a crash. I'll upload a fix later, but for now, anyone can try replacing a few line in lua/Status_Test.lua, lua/Trader_Menus.lua, and lua/Trader_Menus2.lua

Code: Select all

local dialog = {
  T.tooltip { id = "tooltip_large" },
  T.helptip { id = "helptip_large" },
--  maximum_height = 750, maximum_width = 850,   -- replace this line                                          
-- with these following two lines 
  automatic_placement = false,                                             
  height = 750, width = 850,
I should also note that these menus don't currently work very well at display resolutions less than about 1280x960.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Not sure if this is what you want, but you can force the the scrollbars to appear in some widgets with horizontal/vertical_scrollbar_mode = "always"
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:Not sure if this is what you want, but you can force the the scrollbars to appear in some widgets with horizontal/vertical_scrollbar_mode = "always"
Yeah, it looked like that should have helped, but all that seems to do is place a decorative greyed-out scroll-bar when the widget isn't scrolling. It doesn't seem to have any effect on whether the widget scrolls or grows.

EDIT: On the other hand, it seems setting horizontal/vertical_scrollbar_mode = "never" at least stops them from showing up when they shouldn't, and seems to prevent crashing, even with automatic_placement=true. Or maybe I'm just going in circles; the crashing isn't reliable in any case, so it's hard to tell if I solved it.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Another way to have a influence on the gui2 layout is to force a minimum size of a widget using a [stacked_widget] (see GUI_FORCE_WIDGET_MINIMUM_SIZE for hot its used)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.8.6.a has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. I'm not completely sure the menu issues are fixed, but they appear to be. The status menu crashes when run in 800 X 600 resolution, but at bigger resolutions I'm not getting crashes anymore when the lists get large.

--------------
gfgtdf wrote:Another way to have a influence on the gui2 layout is to force a minimum size of a widget using a [stacked_widget] (see GUI_FORCE_WIDGET_MINIMUM_SIZE for hot its used)
I really need a way to force a maximum, but that looks like it could be useful for other things. Thanks.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Another quick "Bug" of sorts. In part two after you return to Ukiah and need to enter the copper mine encountering the roaming orc will trigger a battle. However attacking the orc leader in the capital will... resolve as a normal attack. In fact, I spent three turns attacking him and killed him

I guess I've liberated Ukiah? :P I'm assuming this simply wasn't programmed for as you didn't expect players to wander that far east, but it should probably be accounted for. At the very least some simple line of dialogue like "this is suicide, we can't attack the orcs now" etc would probably be appropriate
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote: In part two after you return to Ukiah and need to enter the copper mine encountering the roaming orc will trigger a battle. However attacking the orc leader in the capital will... resolve as a normal attack. In fact, I spent three turns attacking him and killed him
Ha, yeah, the roaming enemy mechanic needs some attention. I was once thinking to have there be more of them, they stay in zones, and there are no "leaders". The leaders are a holdover and make no sense in the current way of things.

Some sort of stopgap like you suggest will have to do for next time though.

Thanks.
Valezan

Post by Valezan »

Hi,
First, thank you for your work, Bad Moon rising is really a nice campaign (and because it's my first post, thank you so much to all the Wesnoth dev).
I'm encountering a problem on Ubuntu 15.10 (screen resolution is 1280x1024), I cannot use the “Unit Status” menu, if I try, the game lags for a while and crashes. No error message but this is a copy of the terminal return:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.12.4
Started on Tue Dec 29 18:29:38 2015

Data directory: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.12
User configuration directory: /home/user/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /home/user/.local/share/wesnoth/1.12
Cache directory: /home/user/.cache/wesnoth
Checking video mode: 1280x1000x32...
setting mode to 1280x1000x32
20151229 18:29:38 error filesystem: Trying to open file with empty name.
20151229 18:29:39 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/A_Beastly_Tale/translations', skipping textdomain
20151229 18:29:39 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/A_Northern_Village/translations', skipping textdomain
20151229 18:29:52 error general: Duplicate terrain code definition found for ^Vymb
20151229 18:29:52 error general: Failed to add terrain bmr_mbvilla (Marble Villa) [badmoonrising]
20151229 18:29:52 error general: which conflicts with  bmr_mbvilla (Marble Villa) [archaicera]
wesnoth: /build/wesnoth-1.12-lV6Rci/wesnoth-1.12-1.12.4/src/gui/widgets/generator.cpp:174: virtual void gui2::policy::placement::thorizontal_list::place(const gui2::tpoint&, const gui2::tpoint&): Assertion `current_origin.x == origin.x + size.x' failed.
Abandon (core dumped)
Thank you for your help.

PS: please, excuse my English... If you have any difficulties to understand my request, don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to enhance my translation.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Valezan,

It looks like you are having the window sizing problem that has been giving trouble recently. I'd have thought your resolution size was large enough, but the logic of GUI2 is obscure (to me, at least). I think I need to make these dialogs more compact. If there was a way to capture the resolution info, I might be able to have a simplified configuration for smaller resolutions, but I can't find documentation or examples of how to do that with the Lua show_dialog() thing.

The only quick fix I can suggest is to try running at a higher resolution. From the output you posted, it looks like you are running at slightly lower resolution than 1280X1024, maybe going into the Preferences (menu list) -> Display (menu list) -> Change Resolution (button) can help.

Out of curiosity, does this crash for all units, or only a unit with a lot of items?
(EDIT: I see what happened. [censored] scroll bars... I've uploaded what I think is a fixed version, 1.8.6.b. Hope it works now. I plan to upload another version with more significant improvements this week.)

Thanks.
Valezan

Post by Valezan »

Hi doofus-01,
I have just downloading the 1.8.6.b version and... IT WORK!
Wonderful! Thank you so much.
I'm just at the beginning of the campaign, and don't know yet what I am going to collect but this menu is a very pleasant enhancement.
This "small" game is a good entertainment and I hope that the developer team, with the help of people like you will succeed in maintaining it.
So, thank you and congratulation!