1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Poison

Re: 1.12/1.13 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by Poison »

Thank you all very much, I'll just wait a little bit and watch the threads of the campaigns for any new announcements.
Zebo12345

Post by Zebo12345 »

So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not a thing.

It seems there is no way to drop items that you can't equip? Say a spearman picks up a leather collar. Well, leather collars are for dogs, so the spearman can't equip it. The issue is, you can only drop equipped items. The other items go to your inventory, where your only two options are to delete or use. Obviously, the spearman can't use the dog collar, so the only thing he can do with it is delete it. If he's smart enough to take his own helmet off and drop it on the floor, why isn't he smart enough to pull the collar out of his pocket and drop it on the floor? These spearmen need more training! :lol:

(Also, I have all the dependencies, but during the first couple scenarios of the prologue, I got a couple errors about it not finding music that was supposed to be played. Instead, music from the base game was played.)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the feedback.
Zebo12345 wrote:So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not a thing.
Yeah, it's mostly just not a thing. I'd wanted to avoid having instant item teleportation, so I put restrictions on the (completely unrealistic) inventory box, but maybe I didn't consider all necessary cases. Is there an instance where the inability of a spearman to drop a dog-collar really mattered?
Zebo12345 wrote:(Also, I have all the dependencies, but during the first couple scenarios of the prologue, I got a couple errors about it not finding music that was supposed to be played. Instead, music from the base game was played.)
I don't get these errors, though I don't doubt there are issues. Music specification changed a lot in 1.13 vs 1.12, so there are probably broken scenario sound-tracks. Can you copy-paste the errors you are getting?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zebo12345

Post by Zebo12345 »

doofus-01 wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Zebo12345 wrote:So, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not a thing.
Yeah, it's mostly just not a thing. I'd wanted to avoid having instant item teleportation, so I put restrictions on the (completely unrealistic) inventory box, but maybe I didn't consider all necessary cases. Is there an instance where the inability of a spearman to drop a dog-collar really mattered?
Zebo12345 wrote:(Also, I have all the dependencies, but during the first couple scenarios of the prologue, I got a couple errors about it not finding music that was supposed to be played. Instead, music from the base game was played.)
I don't get these errors, though I don't doubt there are issues. Music specification changed a lot in 1.13 vs 1.12, so there are probably broken scenario sound-tracks. Can you copy-paste the errors you are getting?
No, the dog collar probably didn't really matter in the long run, but I did spend a good 5 minutes looking around the menu to see if I could drop it. I'll try seeing if the music still breaks for me some time. It's not a major bug. I did have an issue during the first prologue scenario where after one of the lines of dialogue I randomly lost. Replaying the scenario continued as intended without randomly losing in the middle of a conversation.

(After testing some stuff):
Okay I did the prologue again to get that error message. (I didn't know if it was possible to copy messages, so I wrote this thing out manually)

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:291: Error: Attempted to access an invalid music track.

stack traceback:
: in metamethod'__newindex'
lua/wml-tags.lua:291: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua.145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml.flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>

And I got the random defeat bug again. Happened right after Kashja shot the enthralled heavy infantryman. I remember it happened there last time for me too. No error message on that one (except I got the music error again, so I assume there's supposed to be custom defeat music)

Anyways, I don't want to just be the bearer of bad news and bugs, so here's some positive feedback too: This campaign is super well written! I haven't gotten far, but I loved the prologue. Somehow, you made me really like all those characters... Even though they were immediately zombified. I guess I won't ever be seeing them again now, but I sure wish I did. Also, it's juuuust challenging enough to stay fun, yet easy enough that even I can get through it! (I'm not the best strategist, but I do my best)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Zebo12345 wrote:Okay I did the prologue again to get that error message. (I didn't know if it was possible to copy messages, so I wrote this thing out manually)

Code: Select all

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:291: Error: Attempted to access an invalid music track.

stack traceback:
		[C]: in metamethod'__newindex'
		lua/wml-tags.lua:291: in local 'cmd'
		lua/wml-utils.lua.145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
		lua/wml.flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
That looks like an issue which was reported here and here, and should be fixed in Wesnoth's next release.

Also, errors like that will be written to Wesnoth's error log, so you can copy them out of there.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Zebo12345,

Thanks for following up (and manually copying the errors). As Pentarctagon says, that is a BfW core bug that should be fixed soon. I've only encountered it with the mainline default music playlist. The scenarios in this campaign often use the default playlist because the way to specify music at the scenario level (as opposed to the event-level) changed, and my old music specifications are ignored. I hope to get this cleaned up before BfW 1.14 is released.

You may have noticed in the Prologue that there are some issues with animations, I'm not sure if it's obsolete code or engine bugs, but I hope to get that under control too.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi doofus-01! I once played this campaign on 1.10.7 and thought it was one of the best I've played.

This year, after a long hiatus, I've update my BfW and have been (re-?)playing BMR (version 1.8.6.c) a bit again on 1.12.6. So

BMR1: nice quick campaign, I like the fact that at this point Scarrion isn't yet a complete arse. Of course, it is the story of his fall to darkness. This time around it felt as though Athanta were more manipulative rather than just a zealot for the Primeval cause. I'll have to see how she is when she reappears in BMR3.

BMR2:
I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature, but the very first scenario of BMR 2 (Enough is Enough) is strangely very easy to win. Cantwell is injured killing the Bellicose Farmer that starts next to him (18,2) on Turn 1, then he moves to the village at (14,4) on turn 2 to heal. On turn 3 I kill his sheriff Aethaennyc with the loyal Spearmen and the Footpad boosted by Lorenzon's leadership, then Lorenzon and Duval can kill Cantwell who's undefended (the Spearmen and Bowmen are just strung out on the plain). It feels too quick, but I did it anyway and moved on to advance the story.

For nostalgia's sake, from the old days I can say that I fell in love with the Ukian faction. The Ukian Witch, Deadeye and Veteran are some of the best units I've ever met, and using Berserk dogs on snowy terrain was a blast.
And I actually felt a bit sad when Lorenzon and then Raenna were killed. Belleros and Carghanna… ugghh, their fate made me shudder.

Well, I intend to report on the new version as/when I manage to play it. If 1.14 doesn't come out first, of course. Heh, whom am I fooling? Even then.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sadaharu,

Thanks for the kind words.
Sadaharu wrote:BMR2:
I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature, but the very first scenario of BMR 2 (Enough is Enough) is strangely very easy to win. Cantwell is injured killing the Bellicose Farmer that starts next to him (18,2) on Turn 1, then he moves to the village at (14,4) on turn 2 to heal. On turn 3 I kill his sheriff Aethaennyc with the loyal Spearmen and the Footpad boosted by Lorenzon's leadership, then Lorenzon and Duval can kill Cantwell who's undefended (the Spearmen and Bowmen are just strung out on the plain). It feels too quick, but I did it anyway and moved on to advance the story.
It's a very small scenario, it seems to either go very quickly or it can drag out, depending on luck and the whims of the AI. I did try to tone it down so that it didn't drag on as much. The newer version has a "tutorial" aspect, in case it wasn't clear from Part 1 how the inventory stuff worked.
Sadaharu wrote:And I actually felt a bit sad when Lorenzon and then Raenna were killed. Belleros and Carghanna… ugghh, their fate made me shudder.
I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say that Raenna comes back in the end, and Belleros should now have better closure (I don't quite remember how it goes in BfW 1.12 version, if he crosses a black river or if that is only in newer BfW 1.13/1.14 versions.)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

doofus-01 wrote:It's a very small scenario, it seems to either go very quickly or it can drag out, depending on luck and the whims of the AI. I did try to tone it down so that it didn't drag on as much. The newer version has a "tutorial" aspect, in case it wasn't clear from Part 1 how the inventory stuff worked.
Well, Cantwell isn't supposed to be any particularly terrible fighter so there's no contradiction with the storyline.
I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say that Raenna comes back in the end, and Belleros should now have better closure (I don't quite remember how it goes in BfW 1.12 version, if he crosses a black river or if that is only in newer BfW 1.13/1.14 versions.)
I remember that in the BfW1.10 version Raenna died with the explosion at the end of BMR3. It made me feel sorry for her, as it was actually the Primevals' narrow-mindedness that spelled doom for themselves (and let Echidna survive). As for Belleros' final fate, I'll have to play again and see.
n_mouli

Post by n_mouli »

Game was crashing with some invalid WML found for 'center_messgae' on BMR-West Episode and so i tried an add-on update. Now the same episode is failing to load with the below error.
---
The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/Users/chanagarajan/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.13/data/add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'NEW:WALL_FLAMES_OVERLAY' is missing
at ~add-ons/Archaic_Resources/utils/terrain/terrain_graphics.cfg:2096
included from ~add-ons/Archaic_Resources/utils/terrain_includes.cfg:4
included from ~add-ons/Archaic_Resources/campaign.cfg:12
included from ~add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg:263

---
Can you please help?
Thanks,
Mouli
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

n_mouli wrote:'NEW:WALL_FLAMES_OVERLAY'
I had thought that macro made it into BfW 1.13.10, but it looks like it missed it by a few days. If you use master or 1.13.11 (whenever that comes out), the error will go away. Until then, I will try to upload a fix for this tomorrow. It will be in the add-on Archaic Resources.
Thanks for reporting.

EDIT: I've uploaded Archaic Resources 1.2.0.a that backports that macro to BfW 1.13.10 and lower... at least I think it does, I don't have 1.13.10 installed. Let me know if the error doesn't go away. Thanks.
n_mouli

Post by n_mouli »

doofus-01 wrote:
n_mouli wrote:'NEW:WALL_FLAMES_OVERLAY'
I had thought that macro made it into BfW 1.13.10, but it looks like it missed it by a few days. If you use master or 1.13.11 (whenever that comes out), the error will go away. Until then, I will try to upload a fix for this tomorrow. It will be in the add-on Archaic Resources.
Thanks for reporting.

EDIT: I've uploaded Archaic Resources 1.2.0.a that backports that macro to BfW 1.13.10 and lower... at least I think it does, I don't have 1.13.10 installed. Let me know if the error doesn't go away. Thanks.
The game crash problems went away but the initial problem of invalid WMLfound [center_message] not supported came back!
Thanks,
Chandramouli
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't have that problem, [center_message] seems to work just fine for me. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
n_mouli

Post by n_mouli »

doofus-01 wrote:I don't have that problem, [center_message] seems to work just fine for me. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
Not sure what more info i can provide.
Am running on mac-OS with Wesnoth 1.3.10 version. All the add-ons are updated to the latest. When i start the BMR-West scenario, right after the initial 4 dialogues, i see that error message and the scenario ends in Defeat. Attaching the save file. Please let me know whether you can gleam more details from the same.
Thanks.
Attachments
BMR3-West.gz
Save file for the problem
(106.24 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, I see what happened now. I'll upload a fix when I can, probably this weekend. In the meantime, if you want to get around it, you can add this line
{BMR_INIT_LUA}
just above the first [event] tag in the file, around line 28, of the file <userdata>/data/add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/scenarios3/2_05_West.cfg