1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.12/1.13 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by gfgtdf »

No it works fine, it's just a little slow compared to diurect lua unit manipulation since it always rebuilds the whole unit (create a basic unit of the type, thne reapplies all modifications, then overwrites the units values with the ones given in the variable). In the mentioned case this probably isn't a problem though. But it can be if you use it for a lot of units or when a unit has a redicilous amount of advancements/modifications.Still i'd reccomend to use use units[0],variables directly.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Rwlyra

Post by Rwlyra »

1.13.8 gets Broken Dependencies: Lua Fixes notification upon trying to download Bad Moon Rising 1.9.10.
Is it okay to proceed or are these Lua Fixes available somewhere?

EDIT: I downloaded Lua Fixes addon for 1.13.8, but somehow it's not the one listed in the dependency as it still pops up that notification (The selected addon has the following dependency, which is not currently installed or available from the server. Do you wish to continue?)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Rwlyra wrote:I downloaded Lua Fixes addon for 1.13.8, but somehow it's not the one listed in the dependency as it still pops up that notification (The selected addon has the following dependency, which is not currently installed or available from the server. Do you wish to continue?)
Yes there is only one lua fixes addon and it shoudl work once you have installed it. bad moon rising has probably a typo somcehwere in the dependency list (spaces/unsercroers, case).
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Rwlyra wrote:1.13.8 gets Broken Dependencies: Lua Fixes notification upon trying to download Bad Moon Rising 1.9.10.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. And thanks, gfgtdf, for answering. Looks like I used the "Lua Fixes" title instead of the "lua_fixes" directory name when specifying the dependencies.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I have tried playing Bad Moon Rising from 1.13 add-on server and run into following problems:
1. The addon Wesnoth spit out entire Credits code into console, if you press [Credits] button in mainscreen, saying

Code: Select all

warning gui/layout: pango_text::set_markup_helper text '...' has unescaped ampersands '&', escaped them.
2. error display: could not open image 'attacks/club-found.png' when killed first zombie and picked the club. It did appear in inventory without icons.
3. I'd suggest that putting an armor on increases HP to max, if it was maxed out before putting armor on, taking armor off should decrease hp to next max_hp if it was more than new max_hp. This will remove weirdness when you need to heal after putting armor on, but won't allow abuse.
4. In Scenario 2. Orcish Shield is hovering atop of an abyss
5. Javelin attacks +1 AMLA bonus doesn't actually increase javelin attacks
6. "Where he horded some weapons" -> hoarded? In intro of next scenario.
7. If you do not need gold from villages, and there is no carryover problems, why is there a turn limit at all?
8. Ghost XP is retained, however they drop to lvl1 if they have leveled up.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for reporting.

1. That's an obnoxious warning, but easy enough to fix.
2. It works for me, but I think the problem is how files are scattered across at least three add-ons, I need to get that better organized. Hopefully I can get that done before BfW 1.14 is released.
3. There has been some weirdness with the armor and HP, I'd thought I'd fixed it but maybe not. What makes sense to me is to add/remove the same amount of HP and max HP when equipping/removing the armor.
4. & 5. Whoops. I'll look into that.
6. Yeah.
7. The time limits aren't just for gold and carryover, although that is certainly a major aspect.
8. That should depend upon what difficulty level you play. Keeping their level seemed a little too easy, but losing everything seemed a little too harsh. The middle ground is a bit unsatisfying and broken-looking, I agree, I just couldn't think of something better at the time. Possibly just removing the Ghosts' levels altogether would be best.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

2. I have addons: Archaic Era, Archaic Resources, Archaic Sounds and Bad Moon Rising installed, but only club icon is Bad_Moon_Rising/images/items/club-found.png not attacks/club-found.png. Perhaps it is present in some other add-on you have installed?

3. Then taking off armor while you are on bad health will kill you. Perhaps it would be more logical to scale HP proportionally to max_hp, for example if armor adds +10HP and you had 21/30 HP, then you will get 28/40 HP after putting it on, though it could still could create edge-cases because of rounding error.

7. I know, but for example killing shadow in time might be hard if you try to collect all the stuff. It tends to escape into a village, if you don't manage to kill it with your attack, but drop its HP significally.

8. Message popping up strongly suggests to pick normal difficulty (it says it's balanced while others are not), which I did.
Maybe they can lose some percentage of total XP (an example of its calculation could be found in SotA in function converting necromancers to liches), and de-level accordingly then.
Spoiler:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

2. The problem is that Archaic_Era needs to be updated, but I didn't want to upload a new version yet for such small fixes. And I forgot which add-on that image was in, or why I put it there and not the campaign itself.

3. It would only kill you if specified to do so, but just having a 1 HP floor like mainline poison should be easy for the player to accept. Rounding errors and non-commutative (or -distributive?) arithmetic make me want to avoid proportions at all cost.

7. Turn limits can always be adjusted, but getting rid of them entirely seems a bit too much.

8. Proportional XP loss and de-leveling would be pretty either be similar to losing everything in a lot of cases. Not that it couldn't be done, but a lot of adjustments and rewrites would need to be made to accommodate it. At least I think so, but I'll keep it in mind when I revisit that scenario.
Spoiler:
EDIT:The add-on server won't accept my uploads for now, so fixing this will have to wait.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.9.11 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. There are a variety of bugfixes and small, incremental improvements. The closest thing I have to a change-log is the commit history on github.com:
https://github.com/doofus-01/wesnoth-Ba ... its/master
Poison

Post by Poison »

I get an error at 1.13.8 immediately at the start of the campaign (right after the intro), attaching ss link:

Bad moon rising error

I have all dependencies installed.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Poison,

That is because BfW 1.13.8 is obsolete. 1.13.10 should be out soon, even if it hasn't been announced yet. (Releases have been delayed longer than expected, but at least progress is being made.)
Poison

Post by Poison »

Ok, also the units in the intro aren't shown properly, I see swordsmen and HI and mages instead of the actual units, also the gates and animations aren't shown. So what is your advice? Play at 1.12 or not play at all and wait for 1.13.10 /1.14? For which version are you working, I'm kinda confused from your posts (is 1.12 version finished)? Also please answer for Trinity too (here or at the Trinity thread). The intro was really interesting (referring to BMR) btw.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Poison wrote:Ok, also the units in the intro aren't shown properly, I see swordsmen and HI and mages instead of the actual units, also the gates and animations aren't shown.
Hrmm, not sure what's going on there. Hopefully it's just a 1.13.8 thing. I know the animations were broken in 1.13 for a while, I think they might be fixed in 1.13.10, I'll have to check...
Poison wrote:So what is your advice?
The 1.12 version should work, but there has been more work on it in the 1.13/1.14 version. My advice would be to wait for the next BfW development version (hopefully that's 1.13.10, hopefully really soon). Same for Trinity, though I'm still working my way through BfW 1.13 Trinity, so there are probably lots of issues with it at the moment.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

wesnoth 1.13.10 source code and windows binaries can already be downloaded from sourceforge (not sure on the macosx binaries).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The link to said download.

The Mac download is still TBA, since there's currently some issue(s) with the libraries Wesnoth depends on for that platform.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code