1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.12/1.13 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote: it's exrtrmeley annoying that you cannot even click the 'Okay' button without scrolling the window first.
I don't disagree, but I find it even more annoying when the "OK" button is sometimes on-screen, sometime hidden. Consistently hidden is much worse than consistently on-screen, but consistently on-screen is not an option right now. I promise to work on this once the Lua/GUI2 stuff is more stable. Maybe multipage or tree-view can be used to shrink the dialog content, though I don't think there is all that much superfluous data being displayed (aside from the unit portrait and the equipment icons, but I do want to keep this from being a wall of text, so I'm not dropping those).
gfgtdf wrote:2) easily see what has changed since the last version so that you dont miss things in your changelog.
Hah. I've been doing a piss-poor job of maintaining a change log, so that may be a good reason by itself. Maybe there will be a github repository in the next few months.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bad Moon Rising version 1.9.7 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server.
- The "seller" shop integer bug is fixed
- The moves are reset in shops, so you don't have to end turn. Ideally it is only when there are no enemies, but it isn't tested too well yet.
- The "unit status" menu was updated so that there should be less scroll-bars. In the end, just making the portraits smaller was what worked.
- The Worldmap "Battles" maps (not the random skirmishes) have been slightly changed.

Archaic Resources have also been updated, mainly to fix the castles that were broken by changes to mainline; the UMC castles should not be covered in those damned camp fences anymore.

There were some other minor updates, but those are the main ones.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

No update on the BfW 1.13 server, but I just wanted to note that this add-on has been uploaded to GitHub (as has Archaic_Resources). Link is on the first post.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bad Moon Rising version 1.9.8 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. This campaign should work for BfW 1.13.7, not sure if it will work for earlier versions.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Version 1.9.9 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. It does not work on BfW 1.13.8, I wrote a note in the server summary with a warning. The problem is a known bug in BfW, hopefully it will be fixed in the next BfW release.

I also updated the license of most work artwork to CC BY-SA. Some of the images used parts of mainline images, so they are derivatives of GPL work. I think I've got it straight what is what, specified in the file ART_LICENSE. I didn't bother with little images in "items" directory, for example - it would be too difficult to figure out what all was derivative of mainline GPL assets. To the best of my knowledge, the only source I used to derive art that isn't completely original is mainline Wesnoth, but if anything slipped through (it's been evolving over many years), I will update the ART_LICENSE.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 1.9.9.a, which should deal with most of the issues caused by BfW 1.13.8. The add-on "Lua Fixes" is needed if you use BfW 1.13.8. If you are the kind of person who keeps up with git master, you do not need the add-on "Lua Fixes" as the issue has been fixed.
satinet

Post by satinet »

What's supposed to happen in the epilogue?
At the moment it says "no objectives available".
There is a single spearman but no enemies and nothing happens.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

satinet wrote:What's supposed to happen in the epilogue?
At the moment it says "no objectives available".
There is a single spearman but no enemies and nothing happens.
Hi satinet,

Nothing is supposed to happen, that scenario should end after the story/intro screens. I've never seen it do what you describe, and testing it quickly just now (using debug :n), it didn't do that either. Can you provide any details? Are you using BfW 1.13.8, without downloading the "Lua Fixes" add-on?

Thanks.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I'm not sure if I just suck at the game, but is "Rescue" supposed to be insanely difficult? I stumbled into that scenario with 159 gold, the enemy leaders had 150 each and they get 60 more when the huntresses show up. I was terribly outnumbered, in open terrain with no choke points, against spearmen that also have the ToD advantage on me half the time. The archers pop up 10 hexes away from my units, and without anything to cover them they die incredibly quickly. Am I missing something?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Ceres,

That scenario (and the whole campaign) is probably too difficult if you don't get some experience and resources first by fighting orcs on the world-map.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Okay, I got all the way through.
  • Some gear effects seem to not be completely removed upon taking off the gear. In particular, this happened to me with the Poison Dagger and the Skull Ring. Both units kept the gear bonus (or malus, in the latter case) after taking it off.
  • Taking off gear reduces the unit's HP to what would be the unit's max HP without gear. Extremely annoying if you're very geared up. In a few instances, it even healed the unit by setting it to its default max HP, but that only seemed to work sometimes.
  • The lack of healing between skirmishes was an interesting touch, but it often meant I had to ZoC the last enemy unit while it was running away so I could sit around and heal for a few turns. It felt like I was exploiting the system. Maybe auto-heal the party only if you have a healer in your marching party?
  • In "Ruin", the civilian counter isn't printed properly, it just shows "(s) Remain". There's a space missing in front of "Civilian(s)", so the first part is counted as part of the variable name before it.
  • In "A New Home", there is no (accurate) objective between when the Lich is defeated and when the main orc army shows up. It gets cleared up 2 turns later, but until then I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.
  • In "Fundraising Opportunity", the enemy leader kills the hostage when attacked by any unit, even a random wolf. I'm not sure if it's intended but having him yell at a wolf seems very out of place.
  • In "Hateful River", a Saurian Ambusher is placed at (3;36), but that hex is a chasm.
  • Also in "Hateful River", Belleros explicitly says "we need to kill every one of those damn reptiles", but then it ends as soon as Zanax dies even if others are still alive.
  • In "Checkpoint", the line "I think I see Skoro now, to the south" by Belleros is missing a piece of punctuation at the end. It also felt a bit unnatural to me in general, but I'm not a native so idk.
  • "Orcish Forces" in part III of the campaign still mentions Lorenzon's death as a defeat condition. Unfortunately, he already got killed off by the plot.
  • When improving Hrala Gareth's medicine through AMLA, she gets the improved healing abilities in addition to the old ones, leading to some unnecessary clutter.
  • In "Trouble for the Orcs", there's a typo: "He was a practical man, a survivior" (line 335).
  • After I was done on Mt. Tien and back on the world map, the objectives told me to head to the volcano. However that branch of the story wasn't activated yet, what I really needed to do was get to Whitetooth Peaks. It took me quite a while of wandering around to figure out where I was supposed to go.
  • The Astreya skirmishes were a bit much imo. I'm cool with the other ones since they only happen off-road so you can avoid them, but I had to fight Astreya like 5 times every time I went from a to b (see also previous point). Not only was it the same every time, her units started to get really dangerous and I was often ambushed out of position. Not a fun thing to do a dozen times.
  • Speaking of Astreya, what happened to her? She fell of the face of the earth halfway through part III. Nevermind there's apparently an optional scenario that brings some closure. I missed it because I avoided walking around due to the skirmishes with her.
  • In "Whitetooth Peaks", I had a dog talking at the beginning of the scenario (he was part of my marching formation, the line in question is line 191).
  • In "Heavens Gate Pass", after reaching the bottom of the steep part with Belleros, all my non-loyal units were put on the recall list. Unfortunately, that included Belleros, rendering the scenario unwinnable.
  • In "Death with Dignity", there's an author's note about some bug supposedly fixed in 1.13.6, so I assume it can be removed now.
  • Also in "Death with Dignity", the human general ran out of his castle and got himself killed early on. When Echidna shows up to turn him, this leads to a Lua error since there was no unit to work with.
That said, I still had a good time with this.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ceres wrote:Okay, I got all the way through.
That said, I still had a good time with this.
Thanks, that's good to hear. And thank you for the issues list.

I've pushed the updates to the GitHub repository, I'll try to have an update on the add-on server this weekend.
Responding to the list (in bold):
Ceres wrote: Some gear effects seem to not be completely removed upon taking off the gear. In particular, this happened to me with the Poison Dagger and the Skull Ring. Both units kept the gear bonus (or malus, in the latter case) after taking it off.
I think this is fixed for all but the Skull Ring (there is something non-transparent going on with that one). The cause was that giving an [object] an id makes it only work once (so "leather armor" would work only once, then never again), so I originally gave the gear "name" instead of "id". To remove an object, I needed to use an "anti-object" tailored for that object, it was a pain in the ass. But then [remove_object] was introduced, and life was much simpler. But [remove_object] only only accepts "id" not "name", which would be a big problem, but fortunately the "only use once" feature of an object with id applies to WML objects only, not lua objects. The point of this babbling is to say that there is some fragility with Wesnoth here, and there may be more bugs and updates needed here. The specific cause of the bugs was that I missed the change of "name" -> "id" for some items, but there will probably be issues with this in the future.
Taking off gear reduces the unit's HP to what would be the unit's max HP without gear. Extremely annoying if you're very geared up. In a few instances, it even healed the unit by setting it to its default max HP, but that only seemed to work sometimes.
There is something strange going on, I'm not sure if it's a bug in this add-on or in BfW core. I've got a hack that seems to fix the HP thing most of the time, but it would be better to find the real issue...
The lack of healing between skirmishes was an interesting touch, but it often meant I had to ZoC the last enemy unit while it was running away so I could sit around and heal for a few turns. It felt like I was exploiting the system. Maybe auto-heal the party only if you have a healer in your marching party?
Yeah, something should be done about that. Maybe a "set up camp" option on the map, that lets all units heal, but maybe you get attacked in the night?
In "Ruin", the civilian counter isn't printed properly, it just shows "(s) Remain". There's a space missing in front of "Civilian(s)", so the first part is counted as part of the variable name before it.
Thanks, should be fixed now.
In "A New Home", there is no (accurate) objective between when the Lich is defeated and when the main orc army shows up. It gets cleared up 2 turns later, but until then I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.
It seemed obvious enough to me, but I lack the player perspective, so thanks for pointing it out. Reports by others are the only way such things will be fixed.
In "Fundraising Opportunity", the enemy leader kills the hostage when attacked by any unit, even a random wolf. I'm not sure if it's intended but having him yell at a wolf seems very out of place.
No, not intended, should be fixed now.
In "Hateful River", a Saurian Ambusher is placed at (3;36), but that hex is a chasm.
Should be fixed now.
Also in "Hateful River", Belleros explicitly says "we need to kill every one of those damn reptiles", but then it ends as soon as Zanax dies even if others are still alive.
I updated the objectives, but I think the dialog can stay the same.
In "Checkpoint", the line "I think I see Skoro now, to the south" by Belleros is missing a piece of punctuation at the end. It also felt a bit unnatural to me in general, but I'm not a native so idk.
It might be colloquial, but I think it's OK. If it has a period at the end, of course.
"Orcish Forces" in part III of the campaign still mentions Lorenzon's death as a defeat condition. Unfortunately, he already got killed off by the plot.
Should be fixed now, thanks.
When improving Hrala Gareth's medicine through AMLA, she gets the improved healing abilities in addition to the old ones, leading to some unnecessary clutter.
I'd seen that too, couldn't figure it out at the time, will look at it again soon.
In "Trouble for the Orcs", there's a typo: "He was a practical man, a survivior" (line 335).
After I was done on Mt. Tien and back on the world map, the objectives told me to head to the volcano. However that branch of the story wasn't activated yet, what I really needed to do was get to Whitetooth Peaks. It took me quite a while of wandering around to figure out where I was supposed to go.
There was a system in place to handle this, but I flubbed a variable name, so it was broken and confusing. Should be fixed now.
The Astreya skirmishes were a bit much imo. I'm cool with the other ones since they only happen off-road so you can avoid them, but I had to fight Astreya like 5 times every time I went from a to b (see also previous point). Not only was it the same every time, her units started to get really dangerous and I was often ambushed out of position. Not a fun thing to do a dozen times.
OK, I'll have to think more about what to do about this...
Speaking of Astreya, what happened to her? She fell of the face of the earth halfway through part III. Nevermind there's apparently an optional scenario that brings some closure. I missed it because I avoided walking around due to the skirmishes with her.
In "Whitetooth Peaks", I had a dog talking at the beginning of the scenario (he was part of my marching formation, the line in question is line 191).
A perennial problem... I think it's fixed now. For that one case, at least, I'm sure there are still opportunities for more talking dogs in other places.
In "Heavens Gate Pass", after reaching the bottom of the steep part with Belleros, all my non-loyal units were put on the recall list. Unfortunately, that included Belleros, rendering the scenario unwinnable.
Should be fixed now, but this scenario needs a little more work.
In "Death with Dignity", there's an author's note about some bug supposedly fixed in 1.13.6, so I assume it can be removed now.

Also in "Death with Dignity", the human general ran out of his castle and got himself killed early on. When Echidna shows up to turn him, this leads to a Lua error since there was no unit to work with.
AI allies are such a pain in the ass... I made him passive, but I'm not sure if that's ultimately the best way to deal with it, will need to test more.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 1.9.10 to the server. It has the fixes discussed in the previous post, as well as some tweaks to make Part 1 easier. Might be too easy now, the pendulum is still swinging. Archaic Resources add-on has also been updated, and that is needed for BMR part 1 to work.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I took a look at the lua code and noticed that you often use store_unit + set_variable to change unit variables, in wesnoth 1.13 you can change the units variabels directly without storing (this is better because becasue unstore_unit is sometimes ineffective). For example this code (i removed some comments and indention to make it clearer here) from bmr_equipment.unit:

Code: Select all

local old_gear = {}
local old_gear_pos = nil
local gindex = 0
wesnoth.fire("store_unit", { variable="my_unit", { "filter", { id = unit_id } } })
local gindex_max = wesnoth.get_variable("my_unit.variables.gear.length")
while gindex < gindex_max do
	old_gear_pos = wesnoth.get_variable("my_unit.variables.gear["..gindex.."].position")
	if old_gear_pos == gear_position then
	    break
	end
	old_gear_pos = nil
	gindex = gindex + 1
end

if old_gear_pos then
	bmr_equipment.pool_add(gear_id) --problem is that they can now get new item everytime they try to use in inventory dialog <- think this is fixed
	result = "no room"
else
	wesnoth.set_variable("my_unit.variables.gear[" .. gindex .. "]", {
		name = gear_name,
		cost = gear_cost,
		image = gear_image,
		text = gear_text,
		id = gear_id,
		position = gear_position
	})
	wesnoth.fire("unstore_unit", { variable="my_unit", find_vacant = "no"})
	wesnoth.add_modification(units[1], "object", eq_eff)
	result = "pass"
end

would then become

Code: Select all

local old_gear_pos = nil
local gindex = 0
local unit_variables = units[1].variables
local gindex_max = unit_variables["gear.length"]
while gindex < gindex_max do
	old_gear_pos = unit_variables["gear[" .. gindex .. "].position"]
	if old_gear_pos == gear_position then
	    break
	end
	old_gear_pos = nil
	gindex = gindex + 1
end

if old_gear_pos then
	bmr_equipment.pool_add(gear_id) --problem is that they can now get new item everytime they try to use in inventory dialog <- think this is fixed
	result = "no room"
else
	 unit_variables["gear[" .. gindex .. "]"] = {
		name = gear_name,
		cost = gear_cost,
		image = gear_image,
		text = gear_text,
		id = gear_id,
		position = gear_position
	}
	wesnoth.add_modification(units[1], "object", eq_eff)
	result = "pass"
end

Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, gfgtdf.
gfgtdf wrote:(this is better because becasue unstore_unit is sometimes ineffective)
What do you mean? Is it randomly unreliable, or are there just certain situations when it doesn't work? And are those situations different between wesnoth.fire and the WML tag [unstore_unit]?