1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

This topic is for the campaign Bad Moon Rising, BfW 1.18 edition. Earlier BfW editions are no longer being developed or supported.
---------
Note: This add-on is now on GitHub: https://github.com/doofus-01/wesnoth-Bad_Moon_Rising
The supporting add-ons Archaic_Era and Archaic_Resources are also on GitHub
---------

This is a campaign centered on Humans, Orcs, and some factions from Archaic Era and mainline. It takes place in the north, so the maps are mostly snowy or cave. The story is finished and the campaign is playable. It is not quite the standard mainline-style, but it shouldn't be too radically different either.

Some of the side projects, such as inventory or world-map encounters are under continuous improvement. The RPG elements of this hopefully add a fun and interesting dynamic, without being too complicated.

Part 1 is a quick and simple campaign, with no recruiting and minimal RPG elements.
Parts 2 and 3 are have "real" scenarios, "world-map" scenarios, "skirmish" scenarios, and "shop" scenarios. If a "real" scenario is too difficult, it usually pays to farm a bit on the "worldmap" scenarios. The need to replay a scenario in standard Wesnoth campaigns, so that I had enough gold or veterans to deal with the next scenario, annoyed me, so if you get through one "real" scenario, you should not have to replay it to get better footing in the next "real" scenario.

Here is a screen-shot from an important plot-point in Part 2. (The dialog is clearly not Shakespeare, but I think it works well enough.)
RR_sample.jpg
Here is a screen-shot from an important plot-point in Part 3. No context, just a screen-shot.
MT_sample.jpg

Regarding translations: It's been brought to my attention that most of the claimed translations for this add-on may be empty. They were added automatically through WesCamp years ago, when it was on Berlios. There are .mo files, but I don't have the .po files, so the translated strings are probably outdated anyway. WesCamp is dead, so for the small chance that anyone has translated anything through WesCamp in the last couple of years, please send your .po files directly to the add-on's forum thread or author. I've updated the .pot file in the translations folder in the add-on.

2017-05-20 - In line with the new Wesnoth policy, most original artwork is now CC BY-SA, rather than GPL. Some of the images used parts of mainline images, so they are derivatives of GPL work. I think I've got it straight what is what, specified in the file ART_LICENSE. I didn't bother with little images in "items" directory, for example - it would be too difficult to figure out what all was derivative of mainline GPL assets. To the best of my knowledge, the only source I used to derive art that isn't completely original is mainline Wesnoth, but if anything slipped through (it's been evolving over many years), I will update the ART_LICENSE.

2024-02-25 - This is now for BfW 1.18. The 1.16 version is no longer maintained.

If you find something wrong, don't assume I know about it - please report it here, or it likely won't get fixed. Thanks!
know issues as of 1.11.0:
Last edited by doofus-01 on December 24th, 2021, 12:40 pm, edited 16 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
lostnumber

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by lostnumber »

Very first scenario of the final chapter of BMR freezes the game.

When Beleros is moved onto the northern path he says "Free!" in dialogue and lorenzon says that they will meet up soon. Then the game freezes and has to be ended from task manager, this has happened on multiple reloads. Let me know if you need the save file

EDIT: Apparently the units are supposed to be removed when they reach certain locations and this is part of the victory conditions, however doing so results in the game freezing for several minutes. I dont know if this is an issue with 1.9 or your campaign, it definitely isnt my computer.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Little nitpick type thing:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:Very first scenario of the final chapter of BMR freezes the game.
I see what you mean. It is the mainline macro PUT_TO_RECALL_LIST that is causing it. I'll send an update when I can, but anyone can fix their copy by removing those macros at lines 489, 511, and 529 (delete the entire line) in the file Bad_Moon_Rising/scenarios3/2_01_Trouble.cfg and replacing them with

Code: Select all

[store_unit]
[filter]
id=Raenna #or Belleros or Carghanna, once for each
[/filter]
variable=recall_temp
kill=yes
[/store_unit]
[set_variable]
name=recall_temp.y
value=recall
[/set_variable]
[set_variable]
name=recall_temp.x
value=recall
[/set_variable]
[unstore_unit]
variable=recall_temp
find_vacant=no #<--I'm doing this from memory, this may not be quite right
[/unstore_unit]
{CLEAR_VARIABLE recall_temp}

Mountain_King wrote:
Little nitpick type thing:
As far as I know, 1.9 means the "ninth version of 1.x series", not "one and nine tenths". I don't think developers plan on having exactly ten releases ahead of time.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

In the scenario "An Opportunity" the throwing knife attacks used by your commanders and footman are counted as melee and cause you to fail the scenario. Thus the only way to win is to use Raenna to kill the Lieutenent. I'm not sure if this is intentional but it definitely wasn't made clear by the instructions.

In the scenario "Mine Mouth" the instructions make it unclear whether both leaders need to be killed to achieve victory (they do not, only the main one).

There are some serious bugs with the random encounters, I will test them more and make a more in depth post on the system later.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The random encounters looked like they were mostly working in Part 2, but were getting too difficult too quickly, I'm working on that. And just a note of caution: if you use :debug :cl or :n on the skirmish or worldmap scenarios, it will almost surely break them.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

In the scenario "Downed By Water" you can gain infinite gold since their is no turn limit. All you have to do is capture a few villages and press end turn over and over. Also, there is a lot of weirdness going on with the naga/saurian bosses. THey sit passively in the exit and do not attack or move until you kill one of them, then there is a weird bit of dialogue and the other one will try to attack you.

Possibly part of this is intentional, but as its currently implimented its pretty confusing and doesnt much sense because the player might completely miss the exit until after he rescued cargahna, or he might find the exit and kill the naga bosses first (not knowing they trigger a spawn of enemies) which would make rescuing carghanna extremely hard
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

In the world map when you go to the shop, you dont know what the items do until you purchase them. Also, if you recruit a unit but then choose not to buy anything you are still out 20 gold from your overall total. The player should be refunded for units he recalls in the shop

Edit: Do items even work? I bought a fur cloak and have not seen the bonus cold defense it claims to give
Last edited by lostnumber on August 26th, 2010, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Durings Skirmishes Astrayas attack will occasionally cause wesnoth to crash with no error message. This has happened in more then one scenario on more then one replay, however I am unsure what exact conditions cause this to happen. It seems that when w/e condition is met it will occur every time, as if I replay the turn in the same way I get the same crash
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Astraya Skirmishes do not follow the same mechanics as the other skirmishes. Also, they are extremely annoying, as they cannot be avoided and are essentially the same fight over and over.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Version 1.1.1 went to the server.

Scenario "Downed by the Water" - haven't touched it yet, hopefully next time.

Scenario "An Opportunity" - fixed the melee/ranged attack event

Scenario "Mine Mouth" - added "warrior" to victory objective.

Shops - Changed the menu event from recruit/recall to select (I'd forgotten about that). * Recall is now free, recruit is not. * I haven't moved the explanation of the items, I'm not sure I will. * The items do work, they are not reflected in the help screen because it is not a status screen. It would be nice if it were a status screen, but it is out of my hands. If you have any doubts, you can look at the stats as WML variables in the unit with :inspect. The mouse-over description of the unit in the right-hand pane changes, so it is at least possible to keep track of who has an item.

Skirmishes - Fixed experience handling (had been adding a floating point to experience). * Difficulty should now not ramp up as quickly.

Astreya stuff - Haven't really touched it. I was not able to reproduce the crash.

Thanks.
sandmanvt

Post by sandmanvt »

On scenario Join the Dark Side my game keeps crashing (I have mac version if that matters). It happens when Athanta the Storm Cantor gets a level up I think.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You're right, the game crashes if she levels. "Floating point exception". I'm not sure what's causing that. I'll increase her max experience so she will be unlikely to ever level.

Thanks.
sandmanvt

Post by sandmanvt »

Happy to help! The further I get into this campaign, the more I like it - great work man, and thank you.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

If the "Fright" ghost unit levels up then Wesnoth crashes