Lord of the Rings Campaign?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rpeters

Lord of the Rings Campaign?

Post by rpeters »

I would absolutely love creating or playing someone's version of Lord of the Rings. It could come in three campaigns,

Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King.

I don't know how to program campaigns and it would take a while for me to learn, and I don't have much time at the moment. I would be willing to help organize the story, create authentic music, and try my hand at the art if someone would be willing to program it.

Of course the campaign would have to follow the books fairly closely, but would we be able to use the names of the characters or is that copy right infringement?

Let me know if this is a bad or good idea, thanks!
Dixie

Re: Lord of the Rings Campaign?

Post by Dixie »

As far as I know, unit name taken from the book or not, such a campaign would be copyright infringement, and wouldn't be accepted on the add-ons server, sorry :?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
rpeters

Post by rpeters »

If all names were creatively changed including the title would that be acceptable? It would just follow the general story of the three books.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I don,t know, someone more savvy should be answering you, sorry. You'd really have to change all character, places and some races (hobbits) names, and probably some other stuff I haven't thought about off the top of my head. Still, good luck with your project :) You can still create it for your personnal pleasure and not upload it to the add-ons, if you really want to.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
rpeters

Post by rpeters »

That's true too. Thanks for your reply.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

No, it wouldn't, why would we copy a decent book into an awesome game? that would be like changing nosferatu for twilight as the 'usual vampire'... oh wait, that already happened, well, anyway, short story; no, copyright, long story, I'm too lazy to write, someone else will say.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
rpeters

Post by rpeters »

Well reenacting an awesome book in an awesome game sounds like a lot of fun to me. But you are right, there would be so much copyright we'd have to avoid that it will just end up sounding like delfador help three little folk trying to destroy the forbidden sword or something along those lines. Probably not worth it in the end.
norbert

Post by norbert »

rpeters wrote:I would absolutely love creating or playing someone's version of Lord of the Rings.
Many have suggested a campaign based on LoTR as you can read here and here (under 9; more explanation), but it would be copyright infringement. In 2004, someone created a Middle Earth MP map, but the attachment is gone. Two years later, Kharn created a LoTR campaign and era. The link in that thread no longer works, but the content was moved to this website. It seems the campaign no longer worked after the era was changed to be compatible with Wesnoth 1.3.3. As you know the current (stable) Wesnoth version is 1.8.4, so things (install_Middle_Earth_era.exe and Lotr_Campaign.zip, whatever they contain) will need lots of tweaking.
boru

Post by boru »

Tolkien had a unique vision and created a classic story. Why not copy the man instead of his books? Most of us are not creative geniuses like Tolkien but we can try our best to come up with something unique and fresh.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26789

I think what TSI is trying to say is that you can probably dodge copyright by changing things, but if it's really obvious that you're changing it simply to avoid copyright, it's bad. Maybe you should follow the basic plot (There is an super powerful {ITEM} that needs to be taken to a special place to be destroyed). However, it's a bad idea to just change everything, for example: the "group" meets in {ELVISH_CITY} and decides to take the {ITEM} to {ORCISH_CITY} to destroy it. But they go through {DWARVISH_CITY} and run into {REPLACEMENT_FOR_BALROG}.

That would make it a little too obvious. Keeping the basic plot wouldn't, since a lot of things already use that plot anyway. However, if you wanted to do a PARODY of LotR, you could probably pull it off.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

boru wrote:Tolkien had a unique vision and created a classic story. Why not copy the man instead of his books? Most of us are not creative geniuses like Tolkien but we can try our best to come up with something unique and fresh.
Bravo. :o

Although I must say that it is very, very difficult to come up with an original fantasy story. The old cliche "save the world/country/princess from the dragon" can only be twisted so many ways before you begin to see stereotypical plotlines all over the place. However, coming up with an original story is not altogether impossible, and it would certainly be better to at least attempt to do so before following the well-trodden path of banal plotlines. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
terakay273

Post by terakay273 »

Well, I think you could straight-out ask the Tolkien headquarters if you could do it; then it would be possible to make a Lord of the Rings campaign without strategically renaming things. Although considering how difficult it was for Peter Jackson to get the rights for the movies, I doubt you would be able to do this easily...
Rhugastan's Bridge campaign
8 scenarios of 20 completed
boru

Post by boru »

But, but that would mean writing out an original letter of request. Surely Tolkien or someone wrote a similar letter that could be copied.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Stop kicking the dead horse.

Locked.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.