Onslaught - Version 1.7.0.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crushmaster

Onslaught - Version 1.7.0.

Post by Crushmaster »

Welcome to the development topic of Onslaught. For a long time I have been wanting to make a campaign, and, finally, the Lord has deemed it fit for me to do so. :) It is approximately 45% "done", with three working scenarios, the last of which is dialogue. Comments welcome, and I hope you enjoy.
EDIT: Just released version 0.8.5. You can download it in the third post of this topic. :)
EDIT #2: Just released version 1.0.0. Draft one of Onslaught is now finished! You can download it in the fifth post of this topic. Thank You, Lord.
EDIT #3: Onslaught version 1.5.0. is now on the 1.8 add-ons server! :) Thank You, Lord. Check it out!
EDIT #4: Onslaught, version 1.6.5., a slight update from 1.6.0., is now on the add-ons server! Thank You, Lord. Also, thank you to Jdp, for his comments that informed me of some map changes I needed to make.
EDIT #4: Onslaught version 1.7.0., another slight update from its former version, is now on the add-ons server. Thank You, Father, for the continued progress. Again, thanks to Jdp as well. :)

TITLE: Onslaught.
PLOT SYNOPSIS: "Young lord Radvar Relvanar, along with his mentor, Sir Timothar, and their friend, Sir Ravix, are sent to an outpost that has not been heard from in weeks. What they find is less than pleasant..."
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Last edited by Crushmaster on September 3rd, 2010, 11:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Crushmaster

Re: Onslaught - Version 0.4.5.

Post by Crushmaster »

Update: Scenario four is technically "done", and scenario five is in the works. After that, scenario six will be all that remains. I estimate the campaign will be "finished" by Friday, or Saturday, which is a bit before my deadline (August 10th).

Naturally, it will need to undergo some editing, but it should be "technically" finished soon. :)
EDIT: Forget to mention this: The file above is the same, still 0.4.5.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
Crushmaster

Re: Onslaught - Version 0.4.5.

Post by Crushmaster »

Well, scenarios one through five are now (technically) finished. :) Here is version 0.8.5. Enjoy! I plan to do scenario six tonight or tomorrow.
EDIT: Here's a slightly edited version.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
boru

Re: Onslaught - Version 0.8.5. (Updated)

Post by boru »

Okay I played the first one and a bit of the second. Pretty fun! It took 93 turns to win the first one on Easy :shock: Please add some music ... all it takes is the {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST} macro inside your [scenario] tag. The religious aspect was interesting, it made them different from most Wesnoth characters but in a way it seems more realistic that soldiers would pray before going into a battle. I really couldn't get anywhere until I had a few level 2's and 3's ... it really is an onslaught. Next time I'll try sending more troops to storm another entrance, but those bottlenecks are tough.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crushmaster

Re: Onslaught - Version 0.8.5. (Updated)

Post by Crushmaster »

Hmm, I thought I had that macro...:? (well, I thought I had {DEFAULT_PLAYLIST} ). Guess not. Thanks for your comments! I really appreciate it. Onslaught is now technically finished, but will need to undergo much editing (and much balancing...). :) I'll try to do a lot next week. Tomorrow I'll take a break, then try to get working on it again Monday. I know it needs a lot.

Here is Onslaught, version 1.0.0.! Thank You, Lord, for helping me finish my first ever campaign.
PLEASE NOTE: While finished, this is only the first draft, and my first campaign, so it is very, very rough in several areas. I didn't use a storyboard, so the dialogue and such may be a bit...weird.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Last edited by Crushmaster on August 26th, 2010, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed, random person!
boru

Re: Onslaught - Version 1.0.0.

Post by boru »

I just checked, and Wesnoth has no {DEFAULT_PLAYLIST} macro.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

That's weird...thought I'd used it in the past, taking it from a mainline scenario file. Maybe it's not a macro anymore. Or...something.

Thanks. :) That will most certainly be fixed.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, maybe I search bad, but I didn't find it in the add-on.
I'm using 1.8.3, on windows XP.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

@ydcl it's not on the add-on server. It's just a few posts above.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Thanks, ES.

It won't be added to the add-ons server until it's more...polished, most likely. Like, version 2.0.0.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
boru

Post by boru »

I played a few more scenarios last night and hopefully these comments will help.

In the second scenario, I'm not sure that giving so much gold and access to so many level 2 recruits is good. It makes the second one really easy. The cutscene after two, well, how can I put this? I know you are talking about something really important and close to your heart. But sometimes, economy really matters, and this is one of those times. I'd recommend you go back over your script and see how much cutting can be done without removing the key point of the message. I'm probably the last person who has a right to say this, because my cutscenes really go on a long time.

I think there is a problem with the next scenario. There's no turn limit, so it's rather easy to overwhelm the level one bandits with the level two units you've provided, then move to one of the keeps, recruit as many guys as you want, and wipe out the other team, then leisurely make your way to the signpost. Maybe if they couldn't recruit for some reason, maybe the keep is destroyed in the course of the battle, or if the enemy units are at the same level, this would be harder.

Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

boru wrote: I played a few more scenarios last night and hopefully these comments will help.

In the second scenario, I'm not sure that giving so much gold and access to so many level 2 recruits is good. It makes the second one really easy.
Indeed; I knew it would need a lot of work. I'll probably just save level two recruits for the last level or something (though, I may add a scenario or two to the campaign. Don't know. It may even get completely redone).
boru wrote: The cutscene after two, well, how can I put this? I know you are talking about something really important and close to your heart. But sometimes, economy really matters, and this is one of those times. I'd recommend you go back over your script and see how much cutting can be done without removing the key point of the message. I'm probably the last person who has a right to say this, because my cutscenes really go on a long time.
Thank you for your honesty. No doubt everything will receive some editing.
boru wrote: I think there is a problem with the next scenario. There's no turn limit, so it's rather easy to overwhelm the level one bandits with the level two units you've provided, then move to one of the keeps, recruit as many guys as you want, and wipe out the other team, then leisurely make your way to the signpost. Maybe if they couldn't recruit for some reason, maybe the keep is destroyed in the course of the battle, or if the enemy units are at the same level, this would be harder.
That's weird. :? I thought I had, 'canrecruit=no' on that level and the next one, where it was just you, err, your mentor, and a few loyal men, since you had to move quickly. Also: a turn limit on that level could be good, even though you still can't recruit.

Guess that just shows my lack of WML skills (or maybe a lack of attention). But, that's OK. No one learned it overnight.

Thanks for your comments. :) Really appreciate it.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Last edited by Crushmaster on August 8th, 2010, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed, random person!
boru

Post by boru »

Crushmaster wrote:That's weird. :? I thought I had, 'canrecruit=no' on that level and the next one, where it was just you, err, your mentor, and a few loyal men, since you had to move quickly. Also: a turn limit on that level coul be good, even though you still can't recruit.
You do have canrecruit=no in your side tag, but side 1 is persistent. That means, a lot of the information from the previous scenario will carry over to this one. For example, you specify a particular type for your leader, but if he leveled up, your specification is disregarded and the leveled-up unit is what appears. So, modify your leader inside the prestart event, or modify the keep terrain after the enemy leader is killed.

Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

OK, that makes sense. :) Thanks.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Just a little update: Currently, I'm working on revising Onslaught. Unfortunately, it's not going terribly well. But, the Lord will see me through. Hopefully, in a week or so, version 2.0.0. will be on the forum, with better gameplay, dialogue, etc. Depending on how things go, the entire campaign may be changed - honestly, I don't know. A lot can happen. The Lord will guide.

Comments appreciated, so if you have any, positive or not, feel free to share them. :) If you haven't downloaded it yet, just keep in mind that this is the first draft of my first campaign, so it is very rough.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!