The end of wesnoth (campaign idea)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

King_Gamekeeper

The end of wesnoth (campaign idea)

Post by King_Gamekeeper »

I have an idea for a campaign called "The End of Wesnoth". Were the leaders of Merfolk, Humans, Elves, Dwaves, Drakes, Gryphons and Mages come to a new heavily armed fort on the edge of the Great River, near Wesmere Forest and the moutains to the north. During the signing of the treaty messages from the 7 nations arive batterd and near death exclaiming that the homes were overwhelmed by Undead, orcs ect. (All nations not at the treaty signing).

After which the most powerful Undead lord along with Orcs and Trolls ect arrive to the east. After a long heated talk/battle (scenario 1) due to the over whelming power of the Undead, Orcs ect. the Human king orders (Dwaves and Drakes or Elves and Mage (depending on the players choice)) Lords to take his son to saftly and train him up.

I am yet to finish the coding of the 1st scenario so no spoilers into all the details.

All input into the idea that i have posted here :eng: will be helpfull :D
All Hail ME

Wow, I've been playing this game since i was 10, that was in 2003 when it came out!
Eolith
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Re: The end of wesnoth (campaign idea)

Post by Eolith »

Well, I guess this would be an alternate history, then. According to Under the Burning Suns and its offshoots, Wesnoth fell because the mages felt they were more powerful than they really were, and tried to raise a mountain into the sky as another sun. They failed, and the mountain fell back on Wesnoth, destroying the capital and creating chaos throughout the realm. Or, at, least, such I gathered. Still, this sounds like a good idea. I am interested in seeing what you do with the first scenario (my first was rather weak; I still need to do some work on that campaign...)
It sounds like you are essentially doing two campaigns, based on who is chosen to protect the heir to the throne. I would advise focusing on one branch first, then going back and doing the other once you have the first one finished. That should help eliminate some confusion.
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)
King_Gamekeeper

Eolith wrote: It sounds like you are essentially doing two campaigns, based on who is chosen to protect the heir to the throne. I would advise focusing on one branch first, then going back and doing the other once you have the first one finished. That should help eliminate some confusion.
Yeah that is basicly what I have done, starting with Elves/mages(A branch), then later on i would do the Drakes/Dwaves (B branch). I am hoping to do anouther branch which will be applicable in both A and B branches where the player can choose to join the undead or not to help destroy Wesnoth. At this point in time, i don't want to make things complicated.

Who knows how to fix this damn unkown sceanario? Based off add-ons i have done the coding right. Any help is appreciated.
All Hail ME

Wow, I've been playing this game since i was 10, that was in 2003 when it came out!
Eolith

Post by Eolith »

Is it coming up with a box when you try to test the campaign that says something like "Unknown scenario: The Fall" ? Sometimes that means your scenario ID does not match up with what you have in the _main.cfg file, other times it is an error in the coding that is very hard to find. Sometimes, I think it is just the computer acting up. Once or twice, deleting the scenario ID and retyping it fixed the problem.
If you upload the stderr.txt file (to be found under the main Battle for Wesnoth file in Windows Explorer if you have a Windows operating system, or equivalent location in another OS) then it will be easier to see what went wrong, and where. Sometimes that gives more information, such as which file has a problem, what the problem is, and what line of the text it is in. Unfortunately, the error can be as small as substituting a { for a (, which is very hard to spot in a text editor. There are also "..."" and "...' Small errors in tags can also wreck the entire campaign (for example, [defence] instead of [defense].)
King_Gamekeeper wrote:I am hoping to do anouther branch which will be applicable in both A and B branches where the player can choose to join the undead or not to help destroy Wesnoth
A similar idea was used in Northern Rebirth. Apparently, the second branch was coded out, but there was an entire parallel campaign based on joining the undead. I never played it, finding the regular campaign difficult enough to beat (and to play, with hundreds of units on the map!) Or, you could simply save that for an entirely different campaign, one where the player leads the undead hordes or the Orcish armies against Wesnoth. I suggest you wait to decide on that until you have gotten some distance into the campaign. I ended up leaving out quite a lot of stuff in my campaigns, simply because I found them harder to code than I had thought...
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

King_Gamekeeper

Eolith wrote:Is it coming up with a box when you try to test the campaign that says something like "Unknown scenario: The Fall" ? Sometimes that means your scenario ID does not match up with what you have in the _main.cfg file, other times it is an error in the coding that is very hard to find. Sometimes, I think it is just the computer acting up. Once or twice, deleting the scenario ID and retyping it fixed the problem.
If you upload the stderr.txt file (to be found under the main Battle for Wesnoth file in Windows Explorer if you have a Windows operating system, or equivalent location in another OS) then it will be easier to see what went wrong, and where. Sometimes that gives more information, such as which file has a problem, what the problem is, and what line of the text it is in. Unfortunately, the error can be as small as substituting a { for a (, which is very hard to spot in a text editor. There are also "..."" and "...' Small errors in tags can also wreck the entire campaign (for example, [defence] instead of [defense].)

Alright, i'll give that a try once i have finished my english speech for school.
Eolith wrote:A similar idea was used in Northern Rebirth. Apparently, the second branch was coded out, but there was an entire parallel campaign based on joining the undead. I never played it, finding the regular campaign difficult enough to beat (and to play, with hundreds of units on the map!) Or, you could simply save that for an entirely different campaign, one where the player leads the undead hordes or the Orcish armies against Wesnoth. I suggest you wait to decide on that until you have gotten some distance into the campaign. I ended up leaving out quite a lot of stuff in my campaigns, simply because I found them harder to code than I had thought...
And yeah, I've never played it either, back when i was going to play it (when the bridge was created) it didn't work right. I will be having a ahetic amount of coding with in my campaign once i get the basic needs for all the scenarios to work.
All Hail ME

Eolith

Post by Eolith »

The first scenario did not work right when I played it. The Orcs were impossible to beat, so I had to change the coding slightly.
Anyway, back to your campaign... If you cannot find the error, then, with your permission, I would like to have a go at it. I am wondering if there is a parallel between your problem and mine (other than what the error message says.)

King_Gamekeeper

Eolith wrote:The first scenario did not work right when I played it. The Orcs were impossible to beat, so I had to change the coding slightly.
Anyway, back to your campaign... If you cannot find the error, then, with your permission, I would like to have a go at it. I am wondering if there is a parallel between your problem and mine (other than what the error message says.)
Yeah sure you can, i just want to iron the codding out.
All Hail ME

King_Gamekeeper

Update:

I have completed the basic outline for the first scenario. I am now getting character names, speech, story and events happening now.
All Hail ME

Eolith

Post by Eolith »

In other words, you figured out what you wanted to happen, then you started putting it together, right? That can be fun, especially when you test it.

King_Gamekeeper

What would the coding be if i wanted a unit to be at a certain spot and stay there?
All Hail ME

monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

If you didn't want it to move at all, use a side turn turn refresh [event] and use [store_unit] to modify the unit's movement points.
EDIT: my bad.

But I think you might mean that you want a unit to stay there until it can reach an enemy. In that case, add ai_special=guardian to the unit's definition.
King_Gamekeeper

elvish_sovereign wrote:If you didn't want it to move at all, use a side turn turn refresh [event] and use [store_unit] to modify the unit's movement points.
EDIT: my bad.

But I think you might mean that you want a unit to stay there until it can reach an enemy. In that case, add ai_special=guardian to the unit's definition.
ah okay cool, and yeah the ai=special=guardian is what i want, thank you.
All Hail ME

King_Gamekeeper

Update: Okay all the units are set in place and the events are working great.

Now to add dialog
All Hail ME

numbers13

Post by numbers13 »

Got to say I think youve got a great storyline so far can't wait till you release first version to add-ons
King_Gamekeeper

numbers13 wrote:Got to say I think youve got a great storyline so far can't wait till you release first version to add-ons
Thanks, i will be pushing it into add-ons in the next week or so but im yet to get permission to use certain creatures yet.
All Hail ME