Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

(I realize i'm triple posting, but its necessary).

A new release! A new island scenario is added, the final scenario is added, black the red's plot is expanded (in a very lame way, though, i'm open to suggestions), and, to make recalling more worth it, every unit you have at the end of different islands get 10 experience. (this means that, on a multi-scenario island, you only get the bonus on the last scenario).

I'm done with almost all of the scenarios, there's a bit i still want to do but it will have to wait a few days.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

It might be me, but I'm finding Saving Elensefar really really hard. I've beaten the first two scenarios pretty handliy, though with no upgraded units. All of the other islands ruin me. Here's a synopsis of my problems:

1. The Naga-Orc island: What units do you use to kill the Orcish Warlord? I have four elvish archers, two duelists, three spearmen, and a couple of thugs. Whatever combination I use, daylight or no, gets ruined.

2. The Orc's Mountain island: How do you finish fast enough? I've tried a direct frontal assault, to no avail. I've tried flanking with two elvish archers, a Duelist, and Black the Red, to no avail. How do you win fast enough?

It's really fun to play, but maddeningly hard.

- b.
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

The "There is a lord rulng here..." text in Frozen Lands scenario is missing an "i".

silvermane
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

@ aelius:
Well, you'll probably find it easier with the extra XP, but here's what i do.

For the naga-orc island, I usually try to have a few rangers... they can go into the forest, and kill orcs pretty well, and their 70% def. really comes in handy. I also try to have a few rogues around - backstabbing is FUN.

For the orc mountain, i usually have went to the naga-orc island first, because then you have some (hopefully advanced) mermen to fight up the river. Thugs and spearmen are good on this island, because you need to withstand the orc's attacks and still have troops, since you can't recruit on this island.

That said, i'll probably make both of these islands easier. ;)

@ silvermane: will fix. thanks for the report. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

What? An island that you can actually recruit?
Seriously though, my problem was not orc mountain(though the nagas were the toughest and mermen would be a great help), but the constant attrition on islands and by the time I got to the elf island, the sharpshooters made mincemeat out of my 7-8 remaining units.
My suggestion: Navigation should be made easier, maybe with som ehints
remember you have 6 turns to dock so exploring and being picky about where to land is not an option. My suggestion is to at least double
the number of turns for docking. It might be best to remove the FoW
or at least allow to see further so you can judge where to dock
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah, that is one possibility... I don't think being able to choose where you land would really held you, though. I'll probably increase it a bit, but not a whole lot.

There are 2 things i'm going to do... make you be able to recruit on more islands, and make some elves and loyalists join you when you defeat those islands.
The World of Orbivm
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

I've upgraded the campaign from the server and I can't play it anymore :(
BfW says something like "107: found illegal tag '/then' at end of 'message'" when loading the first scenario (the message was very wide and I had to switch to 1280x1024 to see it all onscreen). The funny thing is that there is no "then" at line 107 of Back_to_Ship.cfg ...

Also there are no icons displayed when chosing difficulty, which might indicate a wrong data path or something.

silvermane
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Another bug:

in Saving_Elensefar.cfg,

Code: Select all

[message]
				description=Black the Red
				message= _ "It is not important..."
should be

[message]
				description=Black the Red
				message= _ "It is not important..."
				[/message]
Also, you need to move all those macros to a utils.cfg!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... yeah, I probably should. I'll to it by next release...

but right now i'm running into a bug... i'm going to post it in Tech Support and see what people say...
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Version bump! a utils.cfg file is used now, there is a new scripted unscenario, and there are some plot changes.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

A bug:

the Elvish Admiral is level 2, when it should be level 3.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:A bug:

the Elvish Admiral is level 2, when it should be level 3.
fixed in version on server. (as of 5 minutes hence).
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Version 0.4.9 released. New features:
  • 2 new scenarios (i think). They are Sea Battle (see below) and The Ruined Port.

Enemies who chase you on The High Seas (to make it less of a pseudoscenario). When they attack you or you attack them, it goes to Sea Battle*.

I believe (but am not sure) there is some plot expansion/clarification.

Slight scenario balancing.

New story images.
I should be done with the campaign except for balancing quite soon. :)

I accidentally deleted the campaign off the server, though, so it is now at the bottom of the page, and is listed as only having 23 downloads. Bummer.

*: This is why I was asking about direction of attack. And i did get that sorted out
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

So, I just finished the first island with the necromancer. Here're my impressions:

I really like the image for the ship wreckage.
I find myself having a larger corps of troops after the first two battles. Much improved.
I like Black the Red as a shadow mage. Bravo!

Would it be possible to have Black the Red recruit footpads sometimes? I think they'd be a nice addition as you don't have any other scouts. Then again, the smallness of the islands may render scouts unnecessary.

During the necromancer scenario I got my leader promoted. When I head back to "The High Seas" I get a message saying: "testingtesting123" and can't do anything... any ideas?

{FOREACH everyoneelse temp}
					[unstore_unit]
					variable=everyoneelse[$temp]
					[/unstore_unit]
					{DEBUG_MSG testingtesting123}
				{NEXT temp}
appears to be the culprit.

- b.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

boo.... i thought i removed that debug message...

if you click enough times, it will work, though. Its just that there are about 10 debug messages popping up that are identical.
The World of Orbivm