Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MoonyDragon

Re: Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Post by MoonyDragon »

Saving Elensefar has been uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server - Rejoice!

Let me state in advance: This is most certainly not a continuation of trewe's github version that I find to be overly complicated in gameplay and coding. My goal was to provide a simpler alternative, for which I forked turin's original version from the 1.2 add-ons server and continued to rework it for 1.14+. In addition to rewriting the code for compatibility, I changed some other aspects of the campaign that are listed here:

Gameplay
- Changed limited recruits/recalls to more traditional wesnoth gameplay.
- Reduced overall difficulty
- Used multiple leaders for the player side (like in Legend of Wesmere)

Graphics
- Replaced outdated custom units with mainline equivalents.
- Added story images (from The Rise of Wesnoth).
- Reworked the maps of 'Sea Battle' and 'The High Seas'.

Code
- Rewrote everything to be actually readable by a human being.

Translations
- Added all translations from trewe's github version
- Included are cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt_BR, ru and sv.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
The objectives state that both leaders have to get to the ship, but you win if either of them arrives.

You apply the old 80% carry over. Also, why would you apply less than 100% carry over on S2, a story scenario? ._.

S3
_wealthy_ -> wealthy
It's a bit weird that not all the villages on a boat belong to the owner of the boat.

It feels like the dialogue of this scenario was reworked. They talk at the beginning and at the end, say pretty much the same thing each time and seem to have no recollection of having spoken about it before.

The High Seas
ever six weeks -> every six weeks

I can reprovision in Elensefar.

You are applying carry over whenever you leave the scenario.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Thanks for the feedback! I have fixed everything that is not quoted below. After collecting a couple more bugs, I will publish the corrections in the next patch.
Konrad2 wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:32 am _wealthy_ -> wealthy

It feels like the dialogue of this scenario was reworked. They talk at the beginning and at the end, say pretty much the same thing each time and seem to have no recollection of having spoken about it before.

ever six weeks -> every six weeks
I avoided changing any translatable strings, because doing so would break all existing translations. But at some point in the future, I do plan a big rework of the dialogue.
Konrad2 wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:32 am I can reprovision in Elensefar.
No idea whether I should consider that a bug or a feature. Because it gives the player some guidance and provides a safety net against having to sail blindly, I'll leave it as it is for now.
Septim

Post by Septim »

Updated czech translation. It is not finished yet, but I will continue to do so.
Attachments
wesnoth-Saving_Elensefar_cs.po
(107.57 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Septim

Post by Septim »

Update.
Attachments
wesnoth-Saving_Elensefar_cs.po
(111.79 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

MoonyDragon wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 9:17 pm After collecting a couple more bugs, I will publish the corrections in the next patch.
Version 2.0.1 has been uploaded. Yes, some bugs got fixed, but most of the effort went into reviving ancient translations. There are now 14 in total, and they all cover every string except unit names and the scenario count.
Septim wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm Updated czech translation. It is not finished yet, but I will continue to do so.
Thanks a lot! I didn't expect contributions this early, so I was rather careless about .po and .pot files until very recently... Before you submit your finished version, could you download the most recent version's .pot file and do a msgmerge on it? I didn't change that much, it's just to make sure everything is covered ^^
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Note for potential contributors
A github repository of my fork of Saving Elensefar can be found here: https://github.com/moonymeric/Saving_Elensefar/
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I have just uploaded version 2.1.0, which comes with Septim's updated czech translation and a huge rework of every single map in the campaign. Somewhere in the future I plan to take a closer look at balance and dialogue, but that's all hypothetical at the moment. Of course, if some scenarios are currently imbalanced or "just don't feel right", don't hesitate to give feedback!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I uploaded version 2.1.1 onto the 1.14, 1.15 and 1.16 add-ons servers. No big changes this time, only version compatibility stuff...
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Version 2.2.0 is now on the add-ons servers.
This time, I reworked the gameplay to what it approximately was back in turin's time, so that secondary leaders can only recruit for 1-2 scenarios before either leaving or joining you as loyal units. This means that players will have to rely on recalling veterans whom they recruited from many islands, as is the original intent of the campaign. Players who struggle with that and prefer mainline gameplay can play the campaign on EASY, where they can still recruit whenever they want.
Other changes include the removal of the Caravel unit and the integration of allied sides in 'A Naval Engagement' and 'Blackmore the Black'. I also finally started correcting prose and expanded all translations to cover every single string out there.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Version 2.3.0 is out, together with the long-awaited changes to balance and dialogue.
While rewriting the prose, I didn't change the original strings directly, but instead made an english 'translation', where I'm going to fix typos and grammar. Other than that, the japanese and german translations have been rewritten, and the czech one received minor changes too. Also, I got rid of unneeded translation memory, though I kept some strings that I might use in the future.
Gameplay has changed quite a bit. Enemy sides have received some changes to recruits, leaders, portraits, ai, gold... resulting in a somewhat increased difficulty overall. The player side no longer features leader specific recruits - these have been moved to the player side and the main leaders (Black the Red / Meneldur / Madru). As a result, optional leaders (Psison / Danrer) are now loyal or heroic units again.
Some other little improvements have been added, such as bonus xp after completing an island. Overall, I'm trying to undo some bad design decisions that I made in 2.0.0, and the next versions should feel more like turin's original seafaring campaign.
oooo

Post by oooo »

Where does the Japanese translation come from? It seems to be same as my translation. If it's mine, you violate GPL v3.

I'm also afraid you don't realize it's experimental. I don't care the rule of Japanese translation team, and I love some laying-out character in Unicode, but I don't test it on MS-Windows (and other Linux environments I have). Fortunately, it has no negative letter spacing that I like, ha ha.

GPL v3 requests you:
- License text
- License notice
- Copyright notice
- changelog
- Source file (I claim it is the PO file)
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

oooo wrote: November 7th, 2021, 12:11 pm Where does the Japanese translation come from? It seems to be same as my translation. If it's mine, you violate GPL v3.

I'm also afraid you don't realize it's experimental. I don't care the rule of Japanese translation team, and I love some laying-out character in Unicode, but I don't test it on MS-Windows (and other Linux environments I have). Fortunately, it has no negative letter spacing that I like, ha ha.

GPL v3 requests you:
- License text
- License notice
- Copyright notice
- changelog
- Source file (I claim it is the PO file)
The japanese translation is indeed yours, as is shown by your name and website in the translation credits. I was not aware that your translation is experimental, but I suppose any translation is still better than none... at least in my opinion.

The source file of your translation can be found in the github repository, that is listed in the maintainer credits: https://github.com/moonymeric/Saving_Elensefar. Your copyright notice and license notice are included, but I have not added the license text of the GPLv3, which is indeed a problem.

As a solution, I could include your translation files into the translation/ja/ folder without any changes. However, these files would remain exclusive to the github repository, because I only upload the .mo files to the add-ons server. Tell me what you think about this.

If you reject this solution as not compliant with the GPLv3, I will be restricted to using your translation from 2014, which you still licensed under the GPLv2+ back then. Not all japanese players might know about your website, and in that case, an outdated translation is better than none. I will try to redirect them to your updated translation.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

MoonyDragon wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:06 pm Not all japanese players might know about your website, and in that case, an outdated translation is better than none.
Not that it is any of my business. If it was up to me, I'd go with no translation is better than any. I wouldn't like dealing with those sort of headaches, they are time consuming with very little in return.

Drop the Japanese translation by that person and allow someone else to do a fresh new one going by your license and your rules.

Another thing. You don't have to respond to me. If you intended to drastically change the coding from the original, why didn't you rename the campaign? (That's the route I would have taken). Especially since the original github is still active with commits done this year.
egallager

Post by egallager »

vghetto wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:42 pm Especially since the original github is still active with commits done this year.
To clarify, could you link to which repo you mean as "the original github" here? Just asking since there are multiple forks of it out there; I have my own repo for it, too, but it's not the original or anything...