The Undead Legion (BETA name)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Duncan-Idaho

The Undead Legion (BETA name)

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

Plot: "Several years after the unsucefull attempt of the wesnoth magi of rising a third sun [much earlier also than UTBS] a dark council was made 4 ancient lich lords meet and made an alliance, the undead legion was known, other title was the lich council, these 4 ambitious liches had one goal set on mind, find and conquer every land they could, due that wesnoth was no more.

somewhere along the line a few scouts found an ancient tomb/monument, the pcitures related of an ancient human warlord, who was more powerfull than any mage of his time.

these pictures depicted him laying himself to rest an unkown period of time, the spies alerted the council, and they chose to try to bring back to life the old warlord, but they attempts were unsucefull, nothing could pentrate his coffin, nor iron, nor fire, nor could, nor darkness or ligth, onto their failure the liches chose to leave the coffin alone, seeing as it couldnt be moved...

what the scouts did not bother reading was that if undead were ever to enter the chamber the seal that made the warlord sleep would be broken, and the warlord would awake from his sleep"

The Starting Character will be a level 6 Grand Marshall, but unlike the standart sprite, im looking for it to wear a black armor with golden touches on the head (if any one can offer help on this point please do so, as im no exactly skilled with gimp ) thats about the first meeting with both of the liches, the hero will face them, but once he tries to use the link he has with his power source (revealed on scenario 10 once i get that far) will revert to a level 1 liutenant, the problem, is that the liches literally "cut" his link with the power source (up until this point the unit had level 6 leadership, max resitances, could float, regenarate, turn onto stone, drain, etc., etc., every skill upon being weakened he only has 10% on every resistance, left only with the magic and marksmanship skills doing 8-4 for meleee and 4-4 magical needing 120 XP to promote ).

the recruit list for the first 3 scenarios is from LVL 1 to LVL 4 and 5's, from the 4th the list is only of level 0 and 1, you will not regain a level 3 to 5 list, but some of the principal cheiftains of the tribes (yes you will need imperial era and era of myths, due that most factions will be avaible, including the shyde, if any one has updated pictures of the shadow/dark/cave elves please post them and i will give you credit on this), the only faction that wont be avaible is undead (only elven ghost but thats as far as i will make it since i find odd that the hero who seeks to destroy undead uses undead )

finally from scenario 10 you can promote the main character (as im intending an interlude scenario where the Main character regains his connection, as well thats when you will see what is this "power source " ).

some of the new changes im implementing is a bit on the history side, and im intending to keep the idea of several races avaible, including the shyde, the level 6 character wont be present at all, unless you do some sidequests,tough the idea is that the character be powerfull im just wanting to add that form as a bonus of sorts, of course at the mment i have no idea of how to make it a specific scenario branching path, and keep in mind it would be only for one scenario again, meaning? only for the last scenario the level 6 path would be avaible.

excuse me for any ortographical mistakes, english is not my native language, and im not seeing a spell check button

any feedback is welcome
Last edited by Duncan-Idaho on June 25th, 2010, 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: The Undead Legion (BETA name)

Post by Iris »

Just a note:

Considering the premise, I refuse to consider this canon by IftU/AtS/TSL's terms.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

shadowmaster wrote:Just a note:

Considering the premise, I refuse to consider this canon by IftU/AtS/TSL's terms.
adjustments will be done afterwards, to make it as close and consistent as possible, so far it just a beta, the plot needs polishing, also on your own add that crazy lich was not killed was left alive.

still what do you think of the premise?
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I think the storyline is too far spread, with you speaking of +30 scenarios. Furhtermore , I'm guessing that it will take a hell of a lot of coding, modding and spritedrawing... And I'm sorry to say but reading the scenario, I wouldn't want to play it...
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

its still in development, and it willl be using only one modded unit, and also i can copypaste most of the WML, and simply modd it per scenario, im about to try and see if i can post the first BETA, as soon as i get a new text editor, text edit for mac is not helping me (it saves it as RTF, even if i add the .cfg) if it loads,all i would do is switch the dialogue, and the position of some units, and show the first map is already done, im gonna upload it to mediafre, for some reason the forum does not uploads it

EDIT

uploading a "pack" for some reason wesnoth does not detects my add on, so if any one wants to give it a look.

also about the plot, im not gonna add little text, its long, but i posted what was the main overlay of the add on
Attachments
Legion_of_the_Undead.zip
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'm going to be completely honest with my comments here. Please don't take it as personal.

Okay, first of all, you are seriously bringing Mal Ravanal back? That's stupid and makes no sense since he was destroyed at the end of EI, which, unlike DiD's, is not open for interpretations. The only reason that I brought Mal Keshar back from DiD in IftU was that there was an infinitely huge plot hole at the end which I could exploit for the purposes of storytelling and giving my favorite character another opportunity.
AtS spoilers here:
Duncan-Idaho wrote:the liches while using their powers awoke an Ancient Warrior, who's been sleeping since the arrival of Haldric I to Wesnoth"
Uhm...I mean... (CLICHÉ ALERT!)
...and plan to bring uria to the land (in a similar fashion of what kel'thuzad did on warcraft with kiljadeeen, also be on the look as gwiti hathael )
No please. No bringing Uria back to Irdya, please. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen. Somehow — I mean, I have the plot, but I don't think I'm actually going to make a campaign out of that plot.
IftU/AtS spoilers here:
The Starting Character will be a level 6 Grand Marshall
Seriously...
the recruit list for the first 3 scenarios is from LVL 1 to LVL 4 and 5's,
This...
yes you will need imperial era and era of myths, due that most factions will be avaible
Won't...
the only faction that wont be avaible is undead (only elven ghost but thats as far as i will make it maybe mal keshar will join the troup, but under the condition of no nigromancy
Work.
scenario 30 or maybe 40 as allies
NO. I mean, you can't make a campaign with more than 25 scenarios! The gameplay rots afterwards! It always does! It gets tiresome and annoying and horribly awkward for the player! Not to talk about the author, who has to dilate the P L O T enough to justify such a lengthy game.

Also, why are you using names from Dune? Copyright infringement much? :/

EDIT: in summary, I'm not accepting this as an official sequel to UtBS/IftU/AtS/TSL. No way.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

a) its a BETA, dont worry im not taking it personal,as i said, its just a draft that im doing, i know the plot needs a lot of fixes before its halfway decent

b) sure i know about the copryrigth problem, the name is temporal too, i've worked mostly about the character traits, rather than the name, im mostly trying to make a guy who has well in off charisma and courage to lead people, not some one like Konrad or Haldric I, who develop during the plot, im seeking to make a history of an already mature character, who is fully developed, but still cannot let go of some stuff, like hatred for nigromants.

c) the mal ranaval idea i got it from Fate of a princess, and it seems i mixed names, is jevyan, the lich who is destroyed by haldric rahter than ranaval, for that i apologize to all those who read the op.

d) with the marshall i was wanting to give people an idea of how poerfull the unit is, as i pointed for only 3 scenarios you will have LV3 to LV5, too easy, also i was planing to do something like in the Legend of Wesmere, there is a point were you cannot recall, the main character is not your run of the mill guy, he is old, way too old, and like the green mages (an old favorite campaing i havent seen it since 1.4) has a connection to the planet, the main difference is while the green mages connection is in a sense one sided, he is part of the very planet, an other characteristic, the idea was that the main character started powerfull, overconfident, yet he still lost, now he begins a journey to get back what he lost during a point of his life, a different character for what i tend to see on the story mode, a character that starts weak, and evolves, im not wanting that for the main character.

e) No uria back then, new course for the campaing then.

f) whats the matter of having multiple races on your side? for example in HTTT you have humans, elves, and dwarves, what i intend to do is something similar, but having at least the humans, the high elves (or better yet the shadow elves, there was an other campaing early on 1.x, 1.1 i belive that narrated of a war between elves an other race, some of those elves winded up underground and they have since then, they adapted to the udnerground, sadly the campaing was abandoned and i never saw it again), at least having 2 of elves and humans,adding dwarves, orcs and trolls, of course not all at the same time.

g) not adding undead for my campaing is a decision i took, since if the character is now going againts undead, i dont belive is quite good to have a hero who despisees the undead use undead, it would be an irony of sorts.

thanks for the feedback, i've been giving the plot a few spins, here are some details that im planning to correct, once i get the campaing working (until then i wont venture more than one scenario):

1) The MC name, temporally is Duncan Idaho, i've been thinking that instead of a name it should be refered by a title, something like the Silver Empereor or as in samurai deeper kyo the crimson king.

2) i agree on the campaing lenght, after thinking what can i do with 10 extra scenarios, i reached the same conclusion.

3) the list and the gold, i dont want an easy add on, i want to follow some ideas of the go (the japanese version of chess, yet is the complete oposite), the idea is to have a decent quantity of gold per scenario, and little income, you would need to use wisely both your units and gold.

4) The factions, im still on wanting to add the high elves and possibly orcs and trolls, a draft of what you can get to recruit are huamns (Loyalist and outlaws and Magi) Elves (Shyde and Forest) and Dwarves

5) Give a new boost to the plot, still i wonder whats the cliche with relating it to a time were Haldric came, the idea was that my character was there way before he even set foot on the island, asleep, unkown to most, and since liches love to have powerfull soldiers, it fits, now with a modification, the lich council tried to awaken the warrior, the problem is that it dint work, then left a guard to continue their experiemtns, while raising an army, the alarming number of dead and corruption made the land forced to awake the warrior, as he was still weak the link could be easly severed, i was thinking on having symbiotic relationship, and yet a little message involved on the plot, concerning inmortality (as mal keshar pointed it out)-

6) Gwiti hatael still stands, there is no official "end" to him.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Duncan-Idaho wrote:6) Gwiti hatael still stands, there is no official "end" to him.
Spoiler
Gwiti dies
Spoiler:
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

so basically thats how it ends the dark hordes damn, well i guess i can create a different sect of liches, im still not leaving the diea fo a lich based society (as in sect, not city)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

1. Who/What's rosebud?
2. XD Nigromancy /racism
3. I doubt that Jevyan can come back. He's been dead for over 1000 years. I think that even if his skeleton wasn't destroyed by the Fall or burned by Haldric, his bones would probably be fossilized or eroded by now.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

Hulavuta wrote:1. Who/What's rosebud?
2. XD Nigromancy /racism
3. I doubt that Jevyan can come back. He's been dead for over 1000 years. I think that even if his skeleton wasn't destroyed by the Fall or burned by Haldric, his bones would probably be fossilized or eroded by now.

a) fate of a princess gives a plausible explanation, that jevyan body is destroyed it does not means his spirit is destroyed also, it seems the author found a clever plothole, and every 13 or 130 years he comes back.

b) it migth seem like this, but the main characters place of rest, was desecrated by the lich council, also im planning on providing a small campaing of 10 or so scenarios that shows the background of, the undead hunter, as of now, his name will remain a mystery, i belive its for the better since im not exactly creative with names.

on a different note more of what people can expect

the idea is to show the why he became the hunter , and the lord of his own country/academy (again this will be shown later on the main campaing, the isle is the one from THTT, the cursed island, im working on details here)

i started from scratch so to speak, im modifiying some of the file fo dead water (the author gave me green ligth), but im having a problem, whenever im editing the file i see that there is no recruitment list for side 1, and im not sure where to insert one (in which line)

finally im planning to keep with my uber marshall but reduced to one and a quarter scenario, basically after ending the first scenario, the main character will lose all his power, meaning he is back at square 1 with nothing, none of his uber skills are there, they will come back just before the battle with the council, still no easy task there will be a series of requisites, so its more like an unlockable.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Two more things:

I don't think you can have a level 6 unit in Wesnoth that's still a human. Compare the strengths of the Fire Dragon, who is Level 5. The level 6 Grand Marshal will have to be at least as strong as that. (Not a copy, but as strong.) Elynia is a "god" and she's only level 4. If any character was level 6, it would either be Delfador in his prime, or maybe higher than that, Uria. And if you plan to give him leadership, well...that will cause your units to be uber. Seeing as most go to level 3, and you have three more levels higher, they will do 75% more damage. Level 2's will do 100% more damage. Level 1's will do 125% more damage. Level 0's will do 150% more damage. Don't forget that people probably WILL send it into battle, as being a level 6 it would have to be stronger than a level 5 and the strongest level five has more than 100 health.

So Jevyan is going to take over another body? Like how Skulduggery Pleasant got his skull stolen by gobos and had to win another one in a Poker match?

One more thing:

This advice I give to all campaign makers of 30+ scenarios: Many scenarios would be good if the story is good. Scenarios come after the story. When your story is done, and you find that it will take 30 scenarios to tell, then do it. If you just want 30 scenarios and you try to make up a story along the way to fit 30 scenarios, that will get un-interesting. Basically, story should be your goal, and not a lot of scenarios.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

Hulavuta wrote:Two more things:

I don't think you can have a level 6 unit in Wesnoth that's still a human. Compare the strengths of the Fire Dragon, who is Level 5. The level 6 Grand Marshal will have to be at least as strong as that. (Not a copy, but as strong.) Elynia is a "god" and she's only level 4. If any character was level 6, it would either be Delfador in his prime, or maybe higher than that, Uria. And if you plan to give him leadership, well...that will cause your units to be uber. Seeing as most go to level 3, and you have three more levels higher, they will do 75% more damage. Level 2's will do 100% more damage. Level 1's will do 125% more damage. Level 0's will do 150% more damage. Don't forget that people probably WILL send it into battle, as being a level 6 it would have to be stronger than a level 5 and the strongest level five has more than 100 health.

So Jevyan is going to take over another body? Like how Skulduggery Pleasant got his skull stolen by gobos and had to win another one in a Poker match?

One more thing:

This advice I give to all campaign makers of 30+ scenarios: Many scenarios would be good if the story is good. Scenarios come after the story. When your story is done, and you find that it will take 30 scenarios to tell, then do it. If you just want 30 scenarios and you try to make up a story along the way to fit 30 scenarios, that will get un-interesting. Basically, story should be your goal, and not a lot of scenarios.

1) The unit has a direct connection ot the planet, is more like an extension of the land than human, like a wose, but not in a plant based unit, like the green mages, in story of the wose.

2) the unit is only avaible for one scenario, and i meant it like that due that you will facing a guy who is a LVL3 can summon LV2 and 3 of undead and its for story purposes only, you can get him back to being uber if you actually acomplish some side tracked objectives, im still working on this

3) Jevyan will be in fact part of the lich council, he is not alone, he is joined by other 3 ancient liches.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hulavuta wrote:Elynia is a "god"
She's not.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

=(
~Sierra