Great Legend Era Campaigns

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Great Legend Era Campaigns

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hex wrote:In the The Invincible Wall, when the twilight forest dies, there is still trees shown along the side hexes that one can't travel on, it kind of ruins the effect.
That's the problem with the map editor, not mine.
Also, even on the hardest setting, this campaign is very easy, your allies do most of the work. So one just needs to rush with them but stay behind them mostly. And the ones where they fight each other, you just let them and attack the odd ones out.
Try playing on the lastest version. I changed the scenario a little.
It would be nice if there were multiple paths or hidden characters etc. Are the other campaigns as linear as TIW?
I made some edits to TroG, but all of them are linear. My next project for the GLE series is going to feature multiple paths, but you have to wait for the release though.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Hex wrote:In the The Invincible Wall, when the twilight forest dies, there is still trees shown along the side hexes that one can't travel on, it kind of ruins the effect.
That's the problem with the map editor, not mine.
Actually, it's a limitation of [terrain_mask], not the editor. It's possible to work around it - take a look at scenarios 8a,8b and 8c of Roar of the Woses for an example.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Easter eggs like hidden characters, items, multiple ways to win etc are nice too. Like perhaps you can hold a area, and win that way, but if you defeat all the bosses (very hard) or some other objective, you unlock a hidden new path in the campaign.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hex wrote:Easter eggs like hidden characters, items, multiple ways to win etc are nice too. Like perhaps you can hold a area, and win that way, but if you defeat all the bosses (very hard) or some other objective, you unlock a hidden new path in the campaign.
Thanks for the idea(s). I will implement them in my latest project.
Hex

Post by Hex »

I would mention easter eggs of the more traditional definition are nice too, fun scripted events that don't necessarily help you win or hurt you, or change the game overall in any way, but are fun/funny. Most such could probably be isolated events, for example: You captured or moved onto X village with X character who mentioned some time ago (maybe a map or two ago so that you have to remember) this was his/her home town, players are treated to a funny cut scene between that character and Mom who believes the character ran out to avoid chores or some other silly reason to leave home.

But maybe some that change how the game ends slightly, even if it seems insignificant at the time. A good example of this would be the game chronotrigger, you can save a characters mom from a accident, but you don't have to, and there is no special reward for doing so (well there is a reward afterwards, but you get it regardless, just for making this event happen) At the end of the game it allows you to wander around and talk to characters and see how things turned out. One version you talk to the mom and she has no legs, the other one where you save her, at first she seems to have no legs, but then suddenly she stands up in a gotcha moment.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

You mean easter eggs like:
* the player rescues a unit from a trap, that unit becomes loyal, but does not influence a particular ally or enemy whatsoever.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Well rescuing a unit does influence things one way or another, it gives you a unit, so that is not what I meant with the last thing I was talking about (not that I am against players getting occasional rewards) Also, without further detail, that example sounds a bit boring, even if it weren't visible on the map (and if it was visible, it wouldn't be a "Easter egg")
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

@ Hex: Okay, now I understand what you're referring to. I can put that in a scenario for my lastest WIP campaign.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

New versions uploaded for:
1. The Invincible Wall
2. The Rise of Genesis.
3. The Wesfolk Prince

Please update.

A beta version of the 6th GLE campaign might be uploaded in three month's time.
EZE

Post by EZE »

I just finished TIW this week and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it quite a bit. Having the allies along for the ride all the time was a nice change from "you vs. the world".

Some feedback on level 2:
It was a little too easy, since the elves and bandits in the east focused on each other almost exclusivly. Moving the elves north and/or increasing their starting gold may help.

Final level:
This one gave me a good challenge. I noticed that units on a hex that becomes part of the wall can still move off, which gives us time to save them before more walls come up. However towards the end I saw units get trapped inside the wall with no adjacent empty tile to move to. It would be cool if instead of (dirt -> cave wall -> final wall) there was a more gradual progression of (dirt -> hill -> mountain -> cave wall -> final wall).

AI Feedback:
When set to Defensive, they still send all the troops out to get killed. Maybe one more option of Hold Ground to keep units from moving any further away from their general.

Looking forward to playing the other campaigns in the series!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

EZE wrote:I just finished TIW this week and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it quite a bit. Having the allies along for the ride all the time was a nice change from "you vs. the world".

Some feedback on level 2:
It was a little too easy, since the elves and bandits in the east focused on each other almost exclusivly. Moving the elves north and/or increasing their starting gold may help.

Final level:
This one gave me a good challenge. I noticed that units on a hex that becomes part of the wall can still move off, which gives us time to save them before more walls come up. However towards the end I saw units get trapped inside the wall with no adjacent empty tile to move to. It would be cool if instead of (dirt -> cave wall -> final wall) there was a more gradual progression of (dirt -> hill -> mountain -> cave wall -> final wall).

AI Feedback:
When set to Defensive, they still send all the troops out to get killed. Maybe one more option of Hold Ground to keep units from moving any further away from their general.

Looking forward to playing the other campaigns in the series!
Thank you for posting feedback. :D
People still play this? Wow, I thought my first campaign was long forgotten. Anyways, I will try to find a new maintainer for this one since I'm busy with my latest campaign nowadays.
marat

Post by marat »

People continue to not only play, but also to translate. :)

There is one question.
I translated the era and translation work. I translated company The_Invincible_Wall and it does not work.
This translation is not the first time I have, I do not know the reason for this.
Attachments
wesnoth-tiw.po
.po Russian translation The_Invincible_Wall
(53.61 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
EZE

Post by EZE »

I finished Rise of Genesis today. Feedback for each mission is inside the spoiler. Things "in quotes" are suggested changes to the dialogue.
I found a good balance using a mix of all 3 melee horsemen types with pikemen (for their defense against pierce).
Spoiler:
ImmortalKnight

Post by ImmortalKnight »

Hi, I am not quite sure if this string is still active. However I have a question about your campaign The Invincible Wall. I played it before and honestly I loved it so much I haven't wanted to play another. But I had to factory reset my computer due to outside complications and wasn't able to find your campaign again until now.... One problem though, I downloaded the file and put it in my add ons folder and proceeded to try and play it. When it was loading though it said "unknown scenario: Elvish_Invasion" I am not sure if something is wrong with my version or if I need to do something with the file. Any help is greatly appreciated. P.S. I am severely new to this forum thing so I don't know how to post like images of what is happening. I'm also running Battle for Wesnoth v1.8.2 because I know that's when this add on came out.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

ImmortalKnight wrote: August 31st, 2018, 5:30 pm Hi, I am not quite sure if this string is still active. However I have a question about your campaign The Invincible Wall. I played it before and honestly I loved it so much I haven't wanted to play another. But I had to factory reset my computer due to outside complications and wasn't able to find your campaign again until now.... One problem though, I downloaded the file and put it in my add ons folder and proceeded to try and play it. When it was loading though it said "unknown scenario: Elvish_Invasion" I am not sure if something is wrong with my version or if I need to do something with the file. Any help is greatly appreciated. P.S. I am severely new to this forum thing so I don't know how to post like images of what is happening. I'm also running Battle for Wesnoth v1.8.2 because I know that's when this add on came out.
Firstly, welcome to the Forums
I was away from the forums on account of my real life, but I guess am back...sort of. Anyways, The Invincible Wall...had actually undergone an overhaul some months after its release and was upgraded to 1.10 and was indecisively left there. So, if you want to play it...you have to install the latest of the 1.10.x branch and download the add-on in-game.