Modifiable Android Project (new MP scenarios coming soon!)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpoOkyMagician

Re: Modifiable Android Project (new MP scenarios coming soon

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I apologize for the no response... I took a very lengthy break from wesnoth... I do on rare occasions play wesnoth. But, very rare now these days... Anyway, I will see if I can respond to some of the questions...

wesfreak: Perhaps you had an older version of MAP? The older versions had issues and caused the lock to fail I believe... However, if you have the most recent version, please let me know which lock/key is the one that failed... The only possible thing (that I can remember) could be maybe falling onto the event? (with gravity) I do not recall testing that. I only coded it for a moveto event. Anyway, if you read this/have time to respond, please let me know.

bigkahuna: I agree. I didn't take much time to work with story/hints/insight/history/etc... That was least of my priority overall. I do apologize for that. However, I (more than likely) failed to mention that this addon was just a "proof of concept" type addon. It was to show that platform like style scenarios for wesnoth WAS possible. I neglected the story and whatnot to focus on gameplay. (Afterall, I had to test such a large map... That was priority first.) Also, yes I found it a bit boring/repetitive after awhile as well... But again, this was mostly a proof of concept. Maybe I can update it later or something. However, I rarely play wesnoth anymore as is... I will see what I can do...

jdp: I have tested the game many times and I found though my playthough, I had no problems. However, yes they are hard to damage. They were meant to be a powerful foe. (Test the true players of wesnoth.) I recommend recharging your health whenever possible, explore the map for upgrades, and see if you can defeat it then. If all else fails, try reloading/starting over? It sounds like a pain but, it might help...
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Hello there. I see you still visit this forum, so maybe you're still interested in feedback. (played on 1.8.5, downloaded latest MAP from the server)

To answer wesfreak's problem, I'm fairly sure he had no bug if he got in the same situation as me. The problem is that the first key (in the lava zone) is placed right near the locks, so when you find the said key, you expect to be able to open the lock... but nothing happens. I thought about a bug as well, tried to search the forums and didn't get an answer.
Then I used debug (shroud commandà and realized there were two more keys I had to look for.

Continuing the bugs series, one cuttlefish-like thingy never bothered to attack me and due to the constant dropping, I couldn't attack myself (I believe I would have been able to attack it the first time I saw it, but maybe I was low on health or something and avoided the fight at that time). Which, in itself, isn't a problem but it was placed right to prevent me from going back into the northern caves (because of ZoC, it's at this narrow passage with two castle tiles and a water one)... where are placed two keys. Which means I was totally stuck and had to debug my way out. (by putting the fish on my side so it stopped blocking me)

That aside, it's a GREAT concept. Really congratz on the map itself, extremely well-polished and all. Of course there's no storyline whatsoever but, it's not the concept here, right ?
However, I'm bad at saying positive stuff. :p I have to mention the munition-thingy that quite owns mechanics-wise, though.
Still, I really admire how everything was thought out perfectly. Although the price to pay is a certain linearity, but then again a lot of my favorite games are completely linear (The Witcher for instance) so it doesn't bother me at all.

Although, the endless going back and forth was getting annoying towards the end, so I gave myself some dozens of moves at times.
I mean, for the first part of the map, having four moves is okay because you're discovering the world and such so you don't really care. Then you get eight moves and the world suddenly becomes faster, which is good because the endless going-back-and-forth were getting annoying due to your twenty-turns battery. But towards the end, when you reached that 600th turn, you'd like to go faster than eight moves since you have to go pretty much from one end of the map to another. In one of the northern caves, maybe instead of a munition-pack (I had like 15 shots or so available at the end of the scenario, though I was playing on easy), you could have something to speed things up even more ? Twenty moves or something. It would definitely help preventing the "I'm spending ten turns walking" problem.

Nonetheless, it's great job and sure is a success for a proof of concept, the "platform" mechanic is very well implemented. If you ever find interest in Wesnoth again, I'll be there to check your new stuff =)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Wendek wrote:Hello there. I see you still visit this forum, so maybe you're still interested in feedback. (played on 1.8.5, downloaded latest MAP from the server)

To answer wesfreak's problem, I'm fairly sure he had no bug if he got in the same situation as me. The problem is that the first key (in the lava zone) is placed right near the locks, so when you find the said key, you expect to be able to open the lock... but nothing happens. I thought about a bug as well, tried to search the forums and didn't get an answer.
Then I used debug (shroud commandà and realized there were two more keys I had to look for.

Continuing the bugs series, one cuttlefish-like thingy never bothered to attack me and due to the constant dropping, I couldn't attack myself (I believe I would have been able to attack it the first time I saw it, but maybe I was low on health or something and avoided the fight at that time). Which, in itself, isn't a problem but it was placed right to prevent me from going back into the northern caves (because of ZoC, it's at this narrow passage with two castle tiles and a water one)... where are placed two keys. Which means I was totally stuck and had to debug my way out. (by putting the fish on my side so it stopped blocking me)

That aside, it's a GREAT concept. Really congratz on the map itself, extremely well-polished and all. Of course there's no storyline whatsoever but, it's not the concept here, right ?
However, I'm bad at saying positive stuff. :p I have to mention the munition-thingy that quite owns mechanics-wise, though.
Still, I really admire how everything was thought out perfectly. Although the price to pay is a certain linearity, but then again a lot of my favorite games are completely linear (The Witcher for instance) so it doesn't bother me at all.

Although, the endless going back and forth was getting annoying towards the end, so I gave myself some dozens of moves at times.
I mean, for the first part of the map, having four moves is okay because you're discovering the world and such so you don't really care. Then you get eight moves and the world suddenly becomes faster, which is good because the endless going-back-and-forth were getting annoying due to your twenty-turns battery. But towards the end, when you reached that 600th turn, you'd like to go faster than eight moves since you have to go pretty much from one end of the map to another. In one of the northern caves, maybe instead of a munition-pack (I had like 15 shots or so available at the end of the scenario, though I was playing on easy), you could have something to speed things up even more ? Twenty moves or something. It would definitely help preventing the "I'm spending ten turns walking" problem.

Nonetheless, it's great job and sure is a success for a proof of concept, the "platform" mechanic is very well implemented. If you ever find interest in Wesnoth again, I'll be there to check your new stuff =)
1: That is a possibility. As I said, I didn't really make many comments about what does what, what is going on during the game, and so forth...

2: I believe someone has already pointed that enemy out. I have noted it in my comments.

3: Yes, I took my time when it came to balancing the gameplay, making sure it was doable, and so forth. Although, story is lacking due to that.

4: Unfortunately, I agree with you for the most part. However, I am trying to stick with the Metroid gameplay style. It always had backtracking. Most players found it annoying. However, I liked it. I like how you cannot access an area just because you don't have x item/upgrade. It makes the player think to them self, "What do I do now? Do I go this way or that way? I wonder where *this* leads to..." I just love that kind of stuff. It makes you think...

Anyway, I thank you for the feedback. However, I wish to point out that Espreon has asked me if he could work on this himself. He is also a HUGE Metroid fan. I gave him approval to modify the add-on however he sees fit. I would work on this but, UGS (see sig) is higher priority for me right now. I do apologize but, I want to finish that first before I start multitasking on projects. (Like I was today... I really need to stick with one...) However, I will PM Espreon this topic location so he knows about it at least. If I ever find time to work on this more, I will. Otherwise, ask him. :P

~ SpoOkyMagician
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)