Our Longest Year (SP campaign with two playable sides)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Luke the Flaming

Our Longest Year (SP campaign with two playable sides)

Post by Luke the Flaming »

"Our Longest Year" is the tale of two friends, a human mage and an elvish warrior, who lived their longest year when unexpected events led them to be the protagonists of a great adventure.

It is a campaign for two players on the same computer (or may be played solo, handling both sides). There are two factions controlled by the player(s): humans and elves. They are allied and must cooperate to win.

The campaign is complete (updated to 1.8.0 code, debugged and playtested as much as I could) and consists of 11 battles. The usual 3 difficulties are available (easy, normal, hard). I've labeled it as "Intermediate level" but wouldn't object if it was considered "Novice level".
It can be downloaded from the official add-ons server.

I created this campaign to play along with a friend (who had recently discovered Wesnoth). Plot and gameplay aren't groundbreaking, but I've tried to add a few bells and whistles here and there, plus a certain variety of landscapes and enemies through the whole campaign (and some randomness when appropriate to add to replayability).

If you try it, feel free to post here any comment, question, bug, grammatical mistake, etc. you may have.
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Flameslash

Re: Our Longest Year (SP campaign with two playable sides)

Post by Flameslash »

In Scenario 1 Player 2 can attack faster and so get more experience.
ortega

Post by ortega »

Hey there,

nice campaign.
In the scenario "Sad Autumn" I'm getting an error msg after first move:

"Unknown Unit type: Swordman while scoring units"
"Condition 'enemy_info' failed at src\ai\default\ai.cpp: 1348 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'."

How can I fix that?
Luke the Flaming

Flameslash wrote:In Scenario 1 Player 2 can attack faster and so get more experience.
Player 2 has slightly easier life on several maps, because it was the faction led by my friend (the "novice player"). I suggest you to give control of the elves to the less skilled player (if you're two; if you're alone, just know that elves will have this small advantage). Since it is a cooperative campaign, it shouldn't ruin anything.
ortega wrote:Hey there,

nice campaign.
Thank you a lot.
ortega wrote:In the scenario "Sad Autumn" I'm getting an error msg after first move:

"Unknown Unit type: Swordman while scoring units"
"Condition 'enemy_info' failed at src\ai\default\ai.cpp: 1348 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'."

How can I fix that?
I've never seen that error (neither in OLY nor in any other campaign). Can you attach the save file of the first turn (before you move) or the save file of the last turn you played in scenario 3? I'll try to look at it and see if I can understand what's the issue.
Sorry for the delay it'll cause.

Update: I'm not sure if it can already fix the issue, but you can try to replace the 04.cfg file in your ...\Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons\Our_Longest_Year\scenarios folder with the file attached below. You MUST load a file from the PREVIOUS scenario (I hope you've still the auto-save of the last turn) and restart from there. Let me know how it goes...
Attachments
04.cfg
(44.6 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
ortega

Post by ortega »

thx for the fast reply.

I've attached the errorous save file packed as rar.
I'm using the latest Wesnoth release and downloaded the campaign just today.

Can you find something?
Attachments
OLY-A_sad_Autumn_Runde_1_errSave.rar
(20.44 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Luke the Flaming

ortega wrote:thx for the fast reply.

I've attached the errorous save file packed as rar.
I'm using the latest Wesnoth release and downloaded the campaign just today.

Can you find something?
It was a silly error on my part.
If you get the updated 04.cfg file above, all should be fine (but you must restart playing from the end of scenario 3).
In any case, I should have fixed your save file (if you try it, let me know how it goes).

I'll update the campaign on the server. Thanks for pointing the error to me!
Attachments
OLY-A_sad_Autumn_Runde_1_fixed.gz
(34.05 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
ortega

Post by ortega »

works superb now.

THANK YOU!!!!
Luke the Flaming

Thank you for playing. :)

I've updated the campaign on the server (now version 1.0.1). By the way, the error affected only the EASY setting (so if you had version 1.0.0 but chose NORMAL or HARD you shouldn't be hampered by it).
ortega

Post by ortega »

Hi once again,

there's another itch during the Guerilla Scenario. I've chosen to kill all enemies but after I do that, just nothing happens and the scenario doesn't end.

I've attached the save-file.
Attachments
OLY-Guerrilla_Runde_16_error.rar
(49.14 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Luke the Flaming

That's due to a last-minute change I did (and of course there was a simple detail I had overlooked... silly me).
Your fixed save file is attached below.
I've also corrected scenario 10 and uploaded the fixed version (1.0.2) of the campaign.
Attachments
OLY-Guerrilla_Runde_16_fixed.gz
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
ZoD

Post by ZoD »

Hello Luke,

I have played this campaign with my girlfriend and we really enjoyed it.
There were no bugs (at least we haven't noticed them).
We have played on normal difficulty and we had to reload some scenarios often.

I'm thinking about playing it again, congratulations for good work.

Best regards,

ZoD
Luke the Flaming

Thanks for the kind words (they're the best reward for all the time and efforts one puts into creating a campaign).

When I played it with my friend, we also had to replay some scenarios (we refused to save/load midgame); it was interesting to learn how to approach each challenge (I hope you too found them interesting rather than frustrating).

Finally, I'm flattered that you could play it again. The random locations of the enemies in some scenarios should help the replay value (and you could swap factions to see how is the challenge for "the other half" of the good guys... and/or try the Hard difficulty, if you dare! :D ).
ZoD

Post by ZoD »

Luke the Flaming wrote:(and you could swap factions to see how is the challenge for "the other half" of the good guys... and/or try the Hard difficulty, if you dare! :D ).
Hey that's great idea, thank you for your suggestion :-)
We will consider hard difficulty but I'm sure that it will really be hard.
koan
Translator

Post by koan »

Congratulations for this very interesting campaign, my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it! I have one bug report: I played Our Longest Year on Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.5 in easy mode, and in scenario 12 the campfires didn't lose their hitpoints (which really made it too easy).

And I have one suggestion: I only saw that the elvish player has an easier life when I read this forum thread after starting the campaign. Maybe you could give a warning in the beginning of the campaign or in the description of the campaign, so players can make an informed choice.
Luke the Flaming

koan wrote:Congratulations for this very interesting campaign, my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it! I have one bug report: I played Our Longest Year on Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.5 in easy mode, and in scenario 12 the campfires didn't lose their hitpoints (which really made it too easy).

And I have one suggestion: I only saw that the elvish player has an easier life when I read this forum thread after starting the campaign. Maybe you could give a warning in the beginning of the campaign or in the description of the campaign, so players can make an informed choice.
Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you two enjoyed the campaign.
I'll try to look what's wrong with the Campfires.
Good idea about the hint, I'll add it in the next update.
Have a great new year! :)