Our Longest Year (SP campaign with two playable sides)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Luke the Flaming

Re: Our Longest Year (SP campaign with two playable sides)

Post by Luke the Flaming »

Adamant14 wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:27 pm
denispir wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 9:26 am

Code: Select all

[color_range]
    id=gold
    rgb=FFF35A,FFF8D2,994F13,FFF35A
    name= _ "color^Gold"
[/color_range]
Taken from OLY scenario 5.cfg :
color=808080,FFFFFF,000000,808080Does not work!

Taken from data/core/team-colors.cfg :
color=goldDoes work.

Also taken from data/core/team-colors.cfg :
color=FFF35A,FFF8D2,994F13,FFF35ADoes also work.
In the revised verions I've used the offical names from "data/core/team-colors.cfg" (I could check, but I think they did not exist when I created OLY, hence why I needed to use the RGB codes).
So this issue should be already solved... (I surely hope so!)
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: November 29th, 2019, 7:37 pm Meeting the dwarves
as we were used to do -> as we used to do
as they number augments -> as their numbers grow
Fixed
Konrad2 wrote: November 29th, 2019, 7:37 pm Defence of the vale
volounteers -> volunteers
caring her eggs -> caring for her eggs
preys -> prey
Fixed
Konrad2 wrote: December 1st, 2019, 8:05 pm Underground
we understood while -> why
Fixed
Konrad2 wrote: December 1st, 2019, 8:05 pm After the banter with the dwarvish guards there is a reeeeeeeeeally long delay before an earthquake hits and the scenario objectives appear. In the meantime I can actually move my cursor around, looking at the map.
Hopefully fixed
Konrad2 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm The Great Battle
piety -> pity
Konrad2 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm Guerrilla -> Guerilla
The Merfolk leader and the cavalery leader both have the same color.
Fixed

Back at home
At the star -> start

The ruined Brightwood castle is using a ruined human castle instead of an elven castle.
Konrad2 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm The Great Battle
piety -> pity
Fixed
Konrad2 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm Back at home
At the star -> start
Konrad2 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm The ruined Brightwood castle is using a ruined human castle instead of an elven castle.
Fixed
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

After the banter with the dwarvish guards there is a reeeeeeeeeally long delay before an earthquake hits and the scenario objectives appear. In the meantime I can actually move my cursor around, looking at the map.
Fixed
Units can have negative hitpoints after being hit by falling rocks.
Fixed
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Luke the Flaming

I have uploaded the revised/reworked/updated version.

Please, do NOT download it if you have a playthrough going on (there are too many differences in the code, the save files may or may not work but it'd be mess in any case).

Thanks to Adamant14 for taking care of OLY while I was away (and inducing me to finish version 2.0, at last! :D).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Campaign select menu image and campaign image both don't show up (maybe a problem that only affects Windows users)

icon="userdata/data/add-ons/Our_Longest_Year/images/misc/hourglass.png"
should be:

icon="data/add-ons/Our_Longest_Year/images/misc/hourglass.png"
and:

image="userdata/data/add-ons/Our_Longest_Year/images/campaign_image.png"
should be:

image="data/add-ons/Our_Longest_Year/images/campaign_image.png"

allow_difficulty_change=no
Why not?

The turn limit is pretty tight, I needed all the turns to finish the first three scenario, on difficulty NORMAL, although I've played through the campaign before (I'm a pretty bad player though). I suggest to raise the turn limit on NORMAL + 2 turns for the first scenarios.
Luke the Flaming

EDIT: version 2.0.1 uploaded. Thanks for the feedback!
Adamant14 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm Campaign select menu image and campaign image both don't show up ...
Ouch, fixing it now!
Adamant14 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm The turn limit is pretty tight
Yes, it is (by design).
If other players will find it too hard, I'll change it (in the meantime, if it is too annoying for you, just tweak the code on your end ;) ).
EDIT: for now, added 1 turn on Normal in scenarios 1-3.
Adamant14 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm

allow_difficulty_change=no
Why not?
I'm afraid I did not specify it (since the option did not exist years ago) and Wesnoth must have "no" as default (sorry!).
Changing it now!
EDIT: the deafult is "yes" according to the wiki, so I've really no idea why it was set on "no" (anyway, I changed it).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

The Escape (NORMAL difficulty):

The pursuers appear on side 3 turn 3, but there is already fog! The fog appears on turn 3 (side 1 turn 3), so the player cannot see the pursuers arriving. But they should, so that the following dialogue works better.

Maybe the fog can be removed completely, because the map is already partially covered by Shroud anyway.

The wild creatures come all at once, and all from the same direction. It was different in the old version, and I liked it better..

If the Barony troops capture a village, it would be nice if a corresponding flag appearers on the village.

The round limit could be increased by two turns. For a lousy player like me your NORMAL is rather HARD for me. :augh:

EDIT:

Defence of the vale (NORMAL difficulty):

When a drake moves to the village 26,21 nothing happens, because the village is

Hhd^Vhh
and you filter for

Hh^Vhh
This one I have noticed, I've not checked if the others work or not.
Maybe you can use simply

*^V*
in your filter.
Luke the Flaming

Fog = it should appear on turn 4, not 3 (so the dialogues can be followed). Fixed.

The fog is there to obfuscate the postions of the chasers (unless you keep a few units as rearguard sentries... strategic decisons are good to have ;) ).

Wild creatures are now a faction (with a leader, gold and normal rules), rather than a few enemy untis generated at random every few turns (an idea that I liked but that was too trivial for the players to face).

Why do you need the flag of the Barony? It does not appear because they are a side with no leader in this scenario (so they do not get or use gold; in fact, there are no "village of theirs" in this scenario: they revert to neutral when they grab them, as always with leaderless factions).

The difficulty curve is obviously very opinable. Maybe you would enjoy EASY more? (There wouldn't be anything bad about it; it's a game, not an exam!)

EDIT: I've checked all those events in scenario 07_D and... only that one had a missing letter in the code; thanks for finding it! :) Fixed.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Luke the Flaming wrote: December 15th, 2019, 1:16 pm Why do you need the flag of the Barony? It does not appear because they are a side with no leader in this scenario (so they do not get or use gold; in fact, there are no "village of theirs" in this scenario: they revert to neutral when they grab them, as always with leaderless factions).
Of course I know why the Barony doesn't set flags when they conquer a village. ;) And I also know that the Barony doesn't need that gold, but that's not what I'm talking about. In terms of gameplay, this is also completely unimportant. It's more about the atmosphere. More about what is visible to the player. It just would just be nicer if there was a flag, as if a real enemy would capture the villages. The usual Wesnoth behaviour, that sites without leader villages don't flag has always bothered me a little bit. If the wild creatures don't flag their villages, I wouldn't mind, but the arch-enemy, the Barony, should put flags on their villages to show their ownership. Of course this is not really important, just cosmetics and my personal taste. :whistle:
Luke the Flaming

Understood (I was not implying that you lack info on WML or Wesnoth, just explaining why it works in that way; no offense intended).

I'm so used to consider it a "core behaviour" of the game that it did not bother me.
If I had to find a "flavourful" explanations, it's because they are just a few rider chasing our heroes, not yet conquering everything (since the zone is labeled in the dialogues as poor and full of dangerous wild creatures, so simply "not worth the effort").

Anyway, having an invisible unit with no movement options stuck in a bottom corner (or something like that) as a "leader" just to see the flags should be easy to do.
My doubt is: if a player (not you or me :) ) saw the flags, would not he think that the Barony has a leader and thus the option to recruit more units? (I would prefer the player to be informed about what he's facing: wild creatures as a faction, chasers as a una tantum event; so (s)he could try to strategize correctly.)

As a sort of compromise, I could give the leader status to Owarec (but as soon as he dies, the flags would disappear).

What do you think about these options?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I know that it is possible for a side without a leader to capture villages/plant flags. See 'Assassin in the Forest' (a Scenario on the 1.14 and 1.15 add-on server) for reference.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

A rude awakening
cathcing -> catching

Retaliation
The majority (of the warriors) were left behind -> was
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Just a small thing, but the campaign awards (most times) the wrong laurel/wreath upon completion. (Apparently caused by using the old difficulties syntax.)
Details as to why and how to fix it can be found in issue #3983.