Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pauline

Post by pauline »

ref. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 85#p557218

Scenario 7 – Selling bats to merfolk
Someone wondered in the forum: [What are mermen doing in a swamp ? Don't they live on the seashore ? ]
boru has great plans to "get a really nice map of the Western Lands together ". Presumably, Pogo Bog and
neighborhood are not far from the western seashore. Surely he will consider the location of "Marinus, one of
the greatest cities in the Merman Empire, a few leagues from the fishing grounds
" where the goblins claim a
territory and fortify a new home patch ...

Fighting powerful and quick merfolk is usually difficult, but Clammie+Co are really strong by now !
These proud mermen take up the challenge and rush straight toward the goblins´ island into their striking
range. My "heroes" do not even have to wet their feet, they just wait for them to come ashore, struggling if
they venture to fight on land. The unopposed bats grab the villages again, Tikitiki is soon out of money and
makes brave attempts all by himself. I´m glad the gutsy netcaster is not one of those potentially suicidal guys
but smart enough to drop out in time. And limited Skirmisher Greta only keeps a watch on the battle ...

The thrill is OK, thou a bigger threat to the squad of blood/horror bats seems somehow more decent.
The merfolk is said to form alliances with no one, but I imagine gliders in the northern hills to cool the
bloodsuckers down. Or a very angry sky drake with a rusty amulet ?
Yep, I´m in high spirits during the 4th playthrough of this great campaign !
Nevertheless, I enjoy this level and always value the efforts put into each scenario.
My favorite line in this sequence is Eeep´s comment on the goblins dire situation (an issue discussed in the
forum to the point of satiety) : "Our slow ones are already dead. " :cry:

pauline (boru-Swamplings-fan)
Wesnoth v1.10.01 + v1.10.06 – Swamplings v1.1.7n – Single Player – Level Medium
pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 8 – Ride the wolf
Thank you, boru, for letting us witness this epic moment in the saga of Wesnoth which changes not only
the goblins life dramatically: Perhaps 99 % of the players agree with Eeep´s idea:
"We´d be much quicker! Hey yippey yoho yoho!"
The modesty on his role in this historical event honors the inventor of wolf-riding, but I don´t share Misris´
patience with him: 2 bouts back proud of his success on bat taming (without the Wand of Wonderment),
he now feeds the outcome of his work to his pets, putting the future business relations of his tribe at risk.
Then again, maybe it was this special diet that helped "charming" the wolves, turning them in mounts. :?

It is true: [Once you get wolf riders you stop using all other units], the brave Goblin Spearman becomes
merely "figurehead" in the recruiting options. Not that anyone complains: "The age Goblins learned to ride
the wolves
" makes the game all the more exciting.

Favorite dialog: "And what do we tell the merfolk ...?" - "Um ... feed merfs to wolves, too?

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 9 – Clammie the healer
It´s meant to be one of this heartwarming, compelling, emotional story parts but I can´t help finding it funny :
After several days Clammie and Kennison are back at Ronry's shack and give him a proper burial.
I´m sure Kennison did the hard work, Clammie is most definitely not a grave-digger. He left it to Eeep to take
care of the corpse of son Terro and after he got rid of assassin Rashki, he happily goes home and doesn´t
worry about the burial of the kind healer either. A "cruel by nature"-aspect of his orcish bloodline ???
Anyway, by the time he returns to the mage´s place (a least one month later, estimating the day/night-phases),
the rich wildlife of the Bog would have likely dealt with the disposal of any decomposing remains ... choking or not !

Afterwards the two of them scavenge the legacy of the mage. The goblin is usually so agile:
Would it be difficult to have them move around, searching the several structures
instead of a still life during their conversation ?

Kennison: "Look, Ronry has a bestiary in his library." OK, Clammie has no time for stuff like that.
But as a mark of respect for the, alas, deceased White Mage: The shack of this great man of science, researcher, herbalist,
healer, poisoner, language instructor, tamer, dealer of rare plants and potions should have at least one bookshelf !
Since even the courtyard of the castle in Fursnatch is furnished: Let's go whole hog ! :eng:
Ah, and I missed Ronry´s nice lean-to-shelter on this map !

Nitpick: After that very funny "I'm just an illusion of a wanted man, conjured for amusement "-dialog
Kennison becomes completely invisible. I think he shouldn´t disappear entirely after the gulp
but just switch to the faded image that appears as soon as gleaming Shining is gone.

As for Shining´s total "petrification" in the cave: Why doesn´t he try to escape as soon as he is discovered ?
I suggested already some target practice on wild things or monsters (the way Nosferatu did when Clammie entered the cave earlier).
Fathead´s confession at the end caused me even more thinking:
How did Rashki´s pin end up in the cave ? He never got there !
How come the fine Sir Shining fathered an outlaw and who is the poor mother ?
Why does the son of a knight become an assassin ?
Puzzling is the reason why Clammie just took off running like a headless chicken in the first place, leaving two dead bodies,
an ointment, a cabinet, the Wand of Wonderment, a brooch and all the other precious belongings of the mage behind ?

I´ve already posted comments on part 2 (Healer and Slayer) and 3 (Exodus) related to Ronry´s potion collection. Again:
My thoughts on this topic are not crits on the gameplay but rather result of wishful thinking (after the mage dropping dead all of a sudden)
and this post: [A pity one cannot use these potions longer ... enjoy your newfound powers a while before you lose them]
Spoiler:
An inspired tale (with an inspiring effect on me), lots of surprises and good laughs ... just to mention that robe thing:
"I'll wear it for luck." – "Is that a goblin tradition ?" – "No, I'm cold."

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 10 – Skandix
Storyteller boru could make a "dialogue-only-campaign" without causing boredom.
What a jumble of very realistic political intrigues, false identities, bloodthirstiness and rascally orders to kill.
Surveying the situation to be up to date keeps the mind as busy as the battle scenes !
Fortunately, the "wiser" Archduke gets lost, too, bamboozled in the end, rewarding the pretended slayer
with a generous bounty for slaying the slayer. Very well done !

At the end of part 9 (The healer) Eeep just vanishes without another word. As it turns out now,
he´s not involved in the "hearing" in Fursnatch. Imo, Clammie should explain this :
"Eeep, those fools in Fursnatch will be as terrified by a wolf-rider as this deceitful, treacherous coward.
Go home and tell the tribe I´ll be right back after solving this issue
."
Spoiler:
Not using a trap door to get the goblin down into the dungeon is a quite wise decision,
after some players got confused with such an equipment in part 5 (It takes a Swampling).
But there is absolutely a demand for some explication on the disappearance of the Archduke´s
stylish bookshelf (or library) in the courtyard ! :mrgreen:
And why don´t Skandix´ curses blow at least some hats off ?

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 11 – Thunderstruck
In spite of many attempts: I couldn´t work out a real good strategy in this very tough situation,
still depending on my "loading mid-scenario saved game"-skill to clear this level. For the first time Clammie
cannot rely on the bats and major challenge is to get 3 units serving one single hit point on a saurian.
Mastering this level surely helps to increase the replay value of "Swamplings" !

Definitely one shouldn´t sweat too much getting the goblins to the wagon of the dwarven delivery service.
I dinnae know : Either those 2 briny, honor-bound dwarfs try to get rid o' blochin' secondary merchandise and
should be sent to deliver these remainders and rejects to the blochin' humans or ALL the10 cases of bloghin'
thundersticks of "finest craftsmanship" and the gunpowder got wet in the blochin' bog.
Fact is: Whoever is equipped with these blochin´flints misfires permanently ! :lol2:

Blockheaded boob that I am, I like the thunder-units nevertheless, experimenting with only 2, 3 units of this
witty, new Wesnoth species, thou, and far from [ never use anything else in any mission thereafter. ]
Due to this (misleading ?) warning "Thundergobos ... can easily injure or kill the wrong target "
I still don´t trust them to only misfire in the air, always expecting some damage, shooting themselves or killing
brothers in arms ... Goblins hurting themselves is one of the most funniest gags of this campaign and the
very idea of a dwarf-dialect (Irish? Welsh? Gaelic ? Prehistoric English?) is just another highlight !

Thinking better, I don´t recall Greta – one of my favorite units – in this scenario. Eeep might find rats as ugly as
bats and feed her to the wolves ! Greta is Clammie´s pet, [he trained her and she considers him to be hers.
She doesn't get into the dungeon, but luckily Clammie is released rather quickly, so we can imagine they were reunited
rather soon afterward
.] That´s right ! Greta hasn´t left Fursenatch and is fighting or the Archduke or Francois
at the time Eeep and the tribe are confronted with the thunder-stuff.
She might be a [magical teleporting bosavi ] but boru´s thought to [leave her out of Thunderstruck ] makes sense:
Eeep doesn´t even know who this unit on his recall list is !

To compensate, l keep an eye on Eeep´s own pets which usually got promoted to Great Wolves by now.
Still, it is true what has been posted earlier: [You don't have much time to level your wolves ... to direwolves.]
So far I never got an answer to my doubt: Is the Direwolf the third level of a Great Wolf ?

Last edited by pauline on August 24th, 2013, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 12 – Meet Mister Blydd
One more example of comic counter-counter-counter back-stabbing in this eventful, entertaining campaign.
A very good résumé from the forum: [That surprise (tomato or whatever), was actually the most fun in the
scenario, as it forced me to put effort into a scenario that I thought I could just breeze through. Just as in
real life, sometimes things turn out differently
… ]
And yes, [it plays differently each time ] turning a computerized AI-fight (where I always question the Art of War
and feel like loading the "Book of Tactic" to the auto-system with advice on strategy) into a challenging mission !
The armies are not toooo reluctant to satisfy the Archduke´s madness: It´s quite difficult to find the best way to just
sneak through their lines safely since any effort to support or attack turns out to be inevitably the wrong choice.
Very interesting !

Clammie´s recall list ... I found this old issue still unclear.
As posted by another player: objective "Defeat: Kennison (if recruited) " is added after he got released.
I had a situation where Kennison´s rescue without the Archduke's benevolence would make more sense:
Spoiler:
Also, I have the impression the invisible-potion wears off in the cave at the end of part 2 (Healer and Slayer),
Kennison certainly is visible during the negotiation with the Archduke in part 10 (Skandix).
It isn´t surprising for Clammie that he is "not invisible any more " now, unless he never noticed.

Imho, it really would be [less confusing if Clammie+Skandix bump into Eeep before he starts recruiting. ]
Maybe a hasty remark. boru posted [Once I have a map finished, this won't seem so tremendously strange. ]
Spoiler:
Death of Misris
Misris might be [the least critical to the plotline], requiring to keep her alive might be or not [a drag on gameplay]
but she certainly is NOT [a disposable character sometime after Thunderstruck], she DOES [effect the story line] !
Bless my heart ! We follow her love-affair with Eeep during the whole campaign, in part 3 (Exodus)
the relationship assumes serious aspects, the epilogue should not be overlooked, she can´t be killed in action,
it´s still impossible for the intended "to continue without dear Misris"
So: "Death of Misris (if recruited) " should be added to the objective-list, Kennison drops out anyway.
(If my perspective spoils some surprise sort of "Married life with an undead Nocturne or Wolfrider",
held back for any further scenario: SORRY, boru. :D )

Two minor issues:
When Clammie asks Skandix about his competence relative to poisons, they are sometimes far from each other.
Don´t know if a Augur´s sense of smell works on long distance so he can sniff an Unknown Potion across the map.
Since he practices nice move-arounds later, should he run over to Clammie or vice versa ?

Task 3: Sergeant Mugwyn, who is right to wonder why the bomb he found hasn't gone off yet, is ordered to
set it off at the stinkard´s keep. I tried to do exactly this, for the joyful event of a bonfire with the dissembling
Archduke blown up in pieces. Impossible. The new task isn´t difficult : Mugwyn is the only one who really
doesn´t care a mote of the Archduke. Instead of fulfilling his mission as quickly as possible he keeps hanging
around near the fortress, strays in the swamp, attacks petty squabbles, putting the ambitious plan and his
own life at risk. No need to stop him, he doesn´t march off, Clammie´s units don´t have to go after him, the
poor Master at Arms and his units are overrun, no fight-or-flight: Francois bravely defends himself, a very
respectable opponent who well deserves a moment of silence , too ...
(That scourge of an Archduke and the viper Shining make me pity vanquished foes as never before … )

Said all this: I really like the originality and unique one liners of this scenario ... just so you know !!!
The final explosion- and blast-effects are very, very well done ! Finest dwarf craftsmanship, at last !
Oh, Clammie NOT charging at least one client for his service as a demolition expert or the "favor" to spare
the Archduke's beautiful keep or a fee for changing sides again as an assassin ... Seems to be a big bug ! :mrgreen:

Last edited by pauline on September 14th, 2013, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 13 – The ruins of Xaffrasz
As for me: I find it "well balanced" to have the horrible Skinks joining Clammie´s party for a change.
Well, the Naga Raiders are even worse ... Rapscallion, this IS a tomato-surprise ! :wink:
Nice to meet mosquitoes again ! ... thou never in a number as annoying as in reality.

Leader support is lost on the tinder-squad, the impressing misfires don´t make everything very easy
but yes, they do wonders ... to my mood. (I´ld like to watch a savegame of that player who neve
uses anything else thereafter
... but most probably suffers nervous breakdowns;
ages to complete a mission seem too little for this strategy).

In this level my Greta got her 5th promotion, proudly I checked her influence on Clammie´s career statistics ...
and found out, that the high achiver is not listed in the table ! ?

At this point dear Misris usually levels up, too, and steals a march on the favorite Bosavi : Cutthroat, the best unit ever !
Rampage multiple attack – secret wish from my very first Wesnoth-game onwards – brought in as the final touch,
the "tomato surprise" for overconfident and wounded enemies ... plus the Loot-cherry !
Overpowered ? No complaints at all from me:
boru, THANKS a lot for the fun to get a unit with such a combination of [really cool, though] abilities !!
Spoiler:
The nice map gives an idea that "Xaffrasz will be a great saurian city once again ... worth fighting for ".
Opposite to Clammie: To "protect the cinders of a dead city" can´t be less meaningless than fighting for
"fetid heaps of midden and filth"...
Favorite dialog: Clammie making a point of the nagani propagation and Kennison´s reply.

Last edited by pauline on September 14th, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 14 – Dire Cave
I like all the scenarios of this campaign, but this one is the gem, [a game within a game ].
The creepy story, the variety in missions, the special effects, the dramatic map are very rewarding.
I love to look at the center dome with Kaldred´s detailed teleport statues, the blue isle of Xaztex, the Alarantalara-waterfalls
and Lavinia´s glacial grotto. And Rhyging's blazing mausoleum: Once in a while I jump there to relax from the battle,
dilly-dally looking at the sanctuary, listening to the crackle of the torches ... wonderful.
This level is very difficult, with the especial surprises the fun comes in. Discovering them one by one
almost inevitably requires a restart but I´m pleased with puzzling out some of boru´s clever ruses that got "masters" stuck.
However, for the 7th time my warriors worm their way through the foggy Dire Cave and still there are new strategies to test
and enigmas to clear ... I have to put more thought into this.

Disclosing the secret of the teleporting statues is a very good, challenging task. What a brilliant idea !
The credit for discovering the trigger of the shortcuts goes to Misris, my fantastic Cutthroat.
She is also indispensable to deal with the terrifying zombie-army of this disgusting Ghast
(Stern´s sprites are always impressive, and the Oracle´s absurd malpractice is a scream).
There we are, 2 more reasons to bolster my point of view: Misris can´t be a war victim.
Truly, I cannot continue without her on my personal objective-list .

The Zombie Batcrafter is the easiest obstacle, I´m looking forward to the return of the Talking Key
and thus the excitement of magic.

I like the mighty Troll, too bad that there is so little time to bring him into action.
He doesn´t even get a chance to THROW ROOCK on fathead Shining !

Picking the right units and an elaborate proceeding are important to beat the Master of Fire.
Let´s hope Inferno8 doesn´r bother his defeat after millennia on guard ...
My personal dilemma with this great Magical Multi Spear is:
My goblins are very progressive after entering the new age, fighting on wolf-back is quite the go !
On this level of the game I have no "worthy spear carrier for this mighty weapon" anymore.
Spoiler:
As for the event with the Mermaid Siren and her amazing coax: I support the suggestion of triggering some event
[needed to complete the scenario ] instead of only [some experience points for getting rid of her ].
Spoiler:
No way to clear this big area without the escort of Xaztex's Souls. Ghosts and Wraiths are excellent to fight all the undead ...
as long as the player isn´t lured into the "trap", letting them leave the cave too early.

The Seven Deadly Bones are enemies which puzzle me up to this day.
Spoiler:
The mythical Direwolf Altar-event is surely SUPERB, the prophecy fulfilled, ringing in a new area for the step‑ahead race.
I only wish I knew what reward Spirit and Xaztex are after now, once both are free to leave ...
Spoiler:
Nitpicks:

Whatever triggers the hint "South east path!": Skandix and fast units are able to be halfway down the arcade passage
when the message appears.

Maybe it´s just me, but the kind of units to choose from inclines to recruit Pillagers, I have situations
with almost 15 torchbearers. Gold is not a problem but Clammi´s order to "equip our wolf riders with
as many torches as possible
" would only refer to the 2 initial Wolfriders. Or does he fancy double torches ?

Who is "Augur Bright" mentioned in the inscription of the altar in the south east branch ?

When Clammie offers the mage´s robe to the Mimic they are sometimes far from each other. Would be nice if
the slave ran over (AND BACK to his starting-point) to fetch the gift and translate the message in its sleeve.
Spoiler:
Favorite line: The option to skip further exploration of this "cave full of amazing things" : "We're finished ! Let's go."
Just like this, offhand, cutting a long story short on which author, art designers, goblins, allies, adversaries
and last but not least me, the player, have sweat on for days and weeks ... :lol2:
Well, maybe "any beast smarter than a fungus would have left this cave long ago …"

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 15 – Hammerheads
More surprises: Goblins have that "junior"-thing ! Not the most prudent idea naming an offspring after the son of a hated orcish ancestor.
And who would ever trust a Hammerhead ? :lol2:
But by now Clammie has a dream team of fantastic units, a horde of great, strong enemies provide a good target practice and the opportunity
to exercise all the special abilities. Forgotten is the endless wailing from the first scenarios.

Skepticism about Thunder/Vundergobos is groundless:
Despite all warnings, there are never undesired injuries on the own side to deplore and they never shoot themselves !
Is this a misfiring bug ?
They are even the first to demonstrate the utility of carrying out the spectacular act of the "double thunder",
causing more damage than a Dragonguard.

As a Nocturne, my "old fashioned" Multi-Spear-Goblin has the most extensive collection of weapons at his disposal I´ve ever seen.

The Troll, too, got a new up-level.
But he keeps both feet on the ground instead of getting en vogue and become the first mounted troll of BfW ...

Having the gang of orcish archers deserters fight independently adds the interesting task to estimate the possibilities in advance
and carefully plan out one's moves: A more considered approach might be prudent.
And the final debate about the Orc Ruler´s obituary and posthumous fame is the cherry on this well done episode-cake.

Little flaws :
1) Now as before: "Death of Misris (if recruited ) " should be added to the objective-list.
2) Already posted: There is no team name for side 3 (Hammerhead Deserters) at the start of Bort´s turns.
3) Out of curiosity: How come Orcish Crossbowman Bort has his first appearance on the stage
and got already such remarkable statistics, including 60 very strange casualties and Bosavi-recruitment ?

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 16 – Full Circle
Where are the hundreds of Rabid Buzzbloods which haven´t shown up yet, practicing the very best of what they do on the Archduke,
this biggest piece of filth ever found in the Pogo Bog ? OK, if you want peace, prepare for war.
Final show-down, opportunity to command magnificent forces to clear once for all: Who´s the boss of the midden heaps.
Tikitiki – eliminating the thread of arrows fired into his hide by new neighbours in his fishing grounds – gladly helps the Goblins
to recover the old home patch. With aquatic reinforcement nothing can go wrong ...
Unfortunately, boaster Eeep can´t resist the impulse to provoke the "spineless flounder " again, and now the "fishes" are extremely eager to proof efficiency.
Spoiler:

Doubtless an eventful, challenging and difficult final scenario. With some brainwork and the sacrifice of the merfolk it´s possible to win this battle without being able to recruit pillagers (Arrrgh ... another blochin' surprise) or bringing special forces into action. However, I feel my earlier level-up-prepping less rewarded than expected for – there's nothing to be done – this is the last opportunity to enjoy their skills. :cry:
I might not have found the ideal tactic yet, unlimited turns provide a large experimental stage, test-games apparently played out positive.
But sending almost all allied swimmers to a foolish death doesn´t cause triumphal feelings.
Spoiler:
Not even scoundrel Shining is released for discharge ! Catastrophe !
Spoiler:
The author stated [ I have no sympathy for the Archduke ], but he gets the best defensible keep, a great army and always a tricky surprise to pull out of the hat. The one to avoid a "quick-kill by a bunch of bats" is ar too good to be only triggered in a especial case.
Spoiler:
Trifles:

Die-hard Captain Phillips should be teleported to Tikitiki´s castle (cage or water) when taken into custody instead of just being banished from the scene. That way the passive Netcaster had at least a little extra job as a guardian or swimming master.

Grirk comments Clammie´s line "... it's preferable to Grirk's smokestack policy." with a "Grrrr"-message.
Shouldn´t there be a sound (e.g. orc-hit-3.ogg as in S15 Hammerheads) ?

Already posted: In the status window Shining's team name shows up as "1", not "Shining's Woodsmen".

I found no solution: It´s a bit confusing that the Archduke-Duelist has the same portrait as Kennison.

Overall, a very inspired conclusion that easily makes up for small annoyances.
The introduction story is perfect, the remarkable number of funny hit- and death-lines compensates damage and loss of main figures.
My favorites: The constant fuss about orcish epitaphs and the confusion about Clammie´s real identity.

pauline

Post by pauline »

Scenario 17 – Credits
I love this campaign because, on the whole, it´s one big tomato surprise. :twisted:
The unpromising title is as misleading as the idea of a bunch of lame, weak, stupid, peaceful, boring units : GOBLINS, [ the only race in Wesnoth with negative attributes ], orcish litter with the most meager equipment ... Boru turns [technically zeroes ] into immensley appealing heroes !
I usually finish with up to 280 kills ... not quite the statistic of a pacific, defenseless mini-tribe of charity in a story reputed to be not inspired by slaughtering. I´m barely getting off causing one more casualty by heart-attack, when it comes to the destiny assigned to some of the characters I fervently supported or fiercely combated during weeks. Even the "Credits" keep surprises behind: A well illustrated epilogue where the [ultimate fate of our principal characters is revealed ], more or less extended depending on the number of survivors.
Spoiler:
A player´s comment: [ Since you have no countdown: ... I completed in about 170 turns ]
I wish this was the minimum number in the last 3 scenarios and totally agree with this post :
[The campaign was too short. I'd love to see a couple more scenarios ] – not out of need but for the players pleasure.
As much as I try: There´s not enough time to get familiar with L3-units, several high quality upgrads keep unattainable.
Only thanks to the Swift One I know a Direwolf and his rider, a master-degree is out of reach.
Interesting, funny "minor" units (Thunder-/Vundergobos, Jinx, BoulderLobber, Slave, Bosavi) have no chance to compete in the endgames,
meeting all these newly-fledged units again in other campaigns is doubtful.
And I have too many open questions (most of them posted earlier).
Spoiler:
Imo, the attribute "humble" fits most to this gifted first-time-campaign-writer, anxious about being [as good at fixing the gameplay as at storytelling ]. Without being [a real crowd pleaser ] :
"Over the years, he was heaped with praise for successfully establishing" a sequence on a difficult subject.
Artists who contribute in large measure to the success of this project can proudly look at the result of their efforts,
presented in the very best way !
Playing BfW for a good while, I think "Swamplings" an eye-opener: Special strategies, required to master this campaign, improve my warfare.
Getting familiar with many new units, special abilities and the threat of ingenious surprises needs permanent attention.
Not fixed on perpetual battling, I feel extremely rewarded by humor and sophisticated dialogs, the unexpected [ makes my jaw drop ] constantly. I dunno, if there´s proof of writing up to boru´s level: Suggestions are appreciated !
The growing popularity of "Swamplings" speaks for itself.
Spoiler:
Not quite 2 cents, the dark secret of my bloodline is revealed : Swampling ... talk a lot, quantity trumps quality.
THANKS to the BfW development branch and THANK YOU to John Rawlins (boru) for this unique campaign !
From now on, I´ll surely suffer moral dilemmas when fighting Goblins and Wolfriders ...

only_second_place

Post by only_second_place »

So ... since I, like many others, also really enjoyed "Swamplings", I just wanted to offer my two cents on the campaign and provide a bit of constructive critisism:
Firstly, as I already said, I like the campaign overall. It has pretty well designed scenarios, interesting new units and characters and the dialog is well written, though I feel like it often has a somewhat cartoony or unserious touch to it, for example when the dumbness of some characters is played for laughs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The things I especially liked:
- The comment about goblins having two hearts and the dynamic between Clammie and Ronry, which is why I was sad, that he died so early on :(
- the idea of a story about how goblins came to ride wolfes
- the jokes and the dialog in general were well thought of
- charming bats with a stick is ingenius :D
- you really refresh the goblins image ;)
- many of the new units are a good idea, especially the thundergobos
- the campaign has a few charming RPG levels as well as a few really hard ones ("Selling Bats to the Merfolk" for example) (even though you could also see the largely varying difficulty as a bad thing)
- there was often a third party in the swamp containing wild animals, which I think is a MUST in a swamp, that is supposed to be dangerous and should be done more often in other campaigns
- how in the last scenario everyone comes back together
- the dwarves
- berserking mosquitos :D

And here are a few things I could see improvement in:
- it's a pitty, that you can't recruit more of the level 1 goblins after they learn to ride wolves, because the new goblin units simply step into the background after you can recruit level 1 wolf riders
- it's bad that the Dire Wolf Cave doesn't have a limited amount of rounds, since you can otherwise collect hideous amounts of gold in this scenario
- also, I would rather not be able to recruit level 2 wolf riders in the above mentioned scenario and rather have a weaker foe, since you can easily overun the zombies by collecting hordes of gold by simply waiting
and recruit massive amounts of level 2 wolves, which you can then recall in the next scenario, making your before hand leveled units useless
Of course you don't need to use this tacitic, but I think it's generally bad to be able/need to recruit level 2+ units in later scenarios if you have started the campaign with level 1 or 0 units and I don't really see another way to defeat Xaztex
- the spear you find in the cave is underpowered: Clammie already has a good melee attack and he doesn't need the elements of the spear against the humans and orcs in the next scenario,
so it would have been better to give him a ranged weapon instead
- some of the characters like the troll, the archers or the direwolfs come in too late in the campaign to be properly utilized, as others have already mentioned
- Greta is a little bit underpowered: she should at least have a second level or a stonger attack, because otherwise she's useless in later scenarios
- no offense to the creator, but the mangroves don't blend so well with the rest of the wesnoth style

I hope my review was helpful and that this thread isn't closed yet, because I don't know where you can see that in the Wesnoth-Forum :hmm:
and keep up the good work.
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

In the Scenario "Healer and Slayer", after Ronry is poisoned, four possible locations for the antidote are indicated by x's. Perhaps the problem I experience only exists for the easiest difficulty, but none of these locations seems to house the antidote, and returning to Ronry also seems to indicate nothing. Which makes it impossible to continue past this point.
Timin8ore

Post by Timin8ore »

Hi, I'm not sure if this campaign is still being fixed but i found a bug.

In the second mission named Healer and Slayer if there is a bat sitting on the bridge (17,21) when you tame the last bat, Ronry cannot be placed on that spot and Clammie ends up being placed where the chest ends up. Then he disappears and the mission cannot be won and you get defeated when you end turn.

Thanks, Timin8ore.
Dugi

Swamplings for 1.12

Post by Dugi »

I have updated Swamplings to run on 1.12 (and also properly on 1.10), fixing many bugs and oddities. I could not upload it to 1.10 because another version exists there and I don't know its passphrase. German and French translations are also included. Please tell me about any bugs you have found if you find some.

I am the maintainer of Swamplings now, because Boru is highly unlikely to return. To celebrate this new management's arrival, I named the new version 1.2.0.

Known issues:
French translation is a bit out-of-date, will be corrected soon.