Am I asking too much?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daravel

Am I asking too much?

Post by Daravel »

Hey,

I stopped playing Wesoth a good while back, but have always wished to develop something and give back to this amazing game. I am an ideas and story person and not so much of a creator. I have come up with a campaign idea that (I hope) brings several new aspects of gameplay to Wesnoth. I'm focusing it a lot more around story and characters (while still maintaining traditional Wesnoth fighting) - with some hopefully, interesting new ways of designing scenarios.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I'm not a creator. I can draw or design and I don't know any WML - or have the time to learn it beyond perhaps a few basics. Essentially, in order for me to go anywhere with this campaign idea I'd have to recruit an artist and coder.

My question is: Am I asking too much to expect someone else to put a lot of effort (which I'm sure will end up being considerably more that I invest) into my campaign idea? Is it common for coders/artists to join into a campaign in this way or do I need to build up a relationship with someone first and then rope them into it?

I have the story idea in my head and know exactly where I want it to go, I know the units and even the map design - which I'm happy to have a go at creating.

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Am I asking too much?

Post by artisticdude »

Daravel wrote:Am I asking too much to expect someone else to put a lot of effort (which I'm sure will end up being considerably more that I invest) into my campaign idea?
If you posted your idea people might be able to decide whether or not they want to help out. :wink: Frankly, few people will be willing to do your work for you no matter how great your idea is, so I'd advise that you at least learn the basics of WML before starting this.

Unfortunately, I'm extremely busy with my own projects at this point, so I'm afraid I can't help much, but I'm sure there are many other people who would be willing to assist you in the creation of your campaign if they like the idea you have. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

At the risk of sounding like some random jerk, I do suggest that you simply learn WML, as it is unlikely, however possible, that you will find someone to do everything for you besides the story.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

This is kind of the answer I expected; so much for wishful thinking eh :)

Perhaps I should wait until I graduate before trying to learn a new language then.

I appreciate the honest answers; I just don't have the time to learn WML right now.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

If you're in college, that's understandable. But if you are in high school, unless you are in like all honors classes and have a ton of extracurriculars, I don't see how you don't have time to learn it. It's EXTREMELY easy to learn.

But when you said "learn another language" I just had a question pop up: If you speak another language can you code WML in that language or does it only run with English?
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

artisticdude was right. Post more about your actual idea if you want help.

I might help if I had the time or the knowledge, but my knowledge of coding is pretty minimal. I`m trying to teach myself, but I`m certainly not up to coding an entire campaign yet, and even if I was, I would probably prioritize my own campaigns first.

As for art, my skills as an illustrator are not up to the standards of Wesnoth.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hulavuta wrote:If you speak another language can you code WML in that language or does it only run with English?
Interesting question. I'd like to say it works only with English, although the engine may support input from at least some of the more common languages, such as Spanish and French. However, I can't be certain. Zookeeper will know if anyone does, though.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I'm in college/university. I'm going to take a look at some basic tutorials and get a basic understanding of how it all works. This was my intention anyway (if I found someone to help me).

When I said 'another language' I just meant learning WML. Especially as the only other coding language I know is limited Visual Basic :)

I'll post up my idea when I get back home. Although I need to change the setting as I just foiund out that a mainline campiagn already tackles a rebellion during Ashievere's reign. The story should be fairly translateable to different circumstances.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I know there was an outstanding offer for someone to code your campaign if you provide the script and the maps.

I've never seen any outstanding offer for art. The general advice is to do with scratch art for awhile.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

joshudson wrote:I've never seen any outstanding offer for art. The general advice is to do with scratch art for awhile.
Exactly. To elaborate, what you want to use for right now are placeholder images. See this page for more information. If a good artist likes your project, he/she might decide to contribute to it. However, there are a limited supply of good artists available, and most are pretty busy either IRL or creating stuff for mainline or their own add-ons, so your idea is probably going to truly have to be something special in order to attract contributors.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Daravel wrote:
When I said 'another language' I just meant learning WML. Especially as the only other coding language I know is limited Visual Basic :)

I'll post up my idea when I get back home. Although I need to change the setting as I just foiund out that a mainline campiagn already tackles a rebellion during Ashievere's reign. The story should be fairly translateable to different circumstances.
I know, but just the words "language" and "WML" being used in the same post brought that thought to me.

And by the way, there are a TON of campaigns that are rebellions to Asheviere's reign. An interesting topic that is becoming popular is the Fall. To date, there isn't a campaign that takes place during the fall, and if you are a good story writer, it would be fantastic as that's one of the biggest things in Wesnoth right now. (And it deserves a good story) I personally am writing a storyline based campaign that coincides with Son of the Black-Eye, which is a campaign that is rarely talked about and is not really a big part (story-wise) of Wesnoth.
~Sierra
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

tsr has sent me a message detailing what he thinks I should post about my idea... So here goes:

Note: I haven't actually played Son of the Black Eye (I'm in the middle of finishing my uni work and play TSoG for the work I'm doing on that campaign) so I have just gone off what is in the Wesnoth history and the prologue to SotBE - please point out an inconsistencies, but I will hopefully sort it out fully when I get a chance to play it.

Also, I'm hoping to really have a story and experience worth playing, so I'm putting the info in spoiler tags so that only those interested need to look at it. Although, it isn't too much of a big deal.
An overview of the campaign:
What is different about this campaign:
tsr mentioned also detailing each scenario - which I won't do just yet. I know what I want to happen in each one. Although, some areas may need a scenario added or changed.

I will also point out that I'm happy to create the maps and such - provided I'm good enough. And that placeholder art is fine to use if no artists are interested. For the falcon I'm thinking of just shrinking a gryphon?
Last edited by Daravel on April 26th, 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

People have already made falcon sprites. Really old though. If you need some animal sprites, download "Flight to Freedom"

Lol, did I get you to write a campaign around SotBE when I mentioned I was? lol

Anyway, glad that someone else is also deciding to make a storyline centered campaign, but I honestly hope it doesn't become a trend. I hope it does well, I'll help in any way I can, regarding coding help and story, but remember that school is the most important. (Never thought I'd say that) Don't end up like my brother and fail and then quit.
~Sierra
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Thanks for the tip on the Falcon.

I changed to SotBE because Liberty (I think it's that one) is set during the period I was going for, and I'd like to design the campaign so it had the potential to become mainline - regardless of that likelihood. I liked the story I had and certain elements of it could only work in a certain setting and SotBE provided it :)

University won't be in my way much longer! 2 assignments due this week, then I've practically graduated... woo!

Thanks for the offer. How does the story look? I wonder if there isn't enough pure combat scenario's and also if the 8 units I've created have enough firepower to carry a campaign.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Well I'm bit a wary about having only 8 characters the whole campaign. Do you plan for it to be some sort of RPG?
~Sierra