Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (For 1.9 too!)

Post by beetlenaut »

Glad you like it!

I'll be very surprised if you find that the ghosts continue to dominate, because you can't get more. I finished this scenario with something like 12, but I only had two left by the end of the campaign. I thought a loyal healer and a loyal meatshield were more useful than loyal ghosts, so I didn't let them die. Actually, I didn't let anyone die, they just sort of all did on their own.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

beetlenaut wrote:Glad you like it!

I'll be very surprised if you find that the ghosts continue to dominate, because you can't get more. I finished this scenario with something like 12, but I only had two left by the end of the campaign. I thought a loyal healer and a loyal meatshield were more useful than loyal ghosts, so I didn't let them die. Actually, I didn't let anyone die, they just sort of all did on their own.
Well, I didn't continue yet (but according to this thread ghosts are pretty central to the strategy of many players) . However, I am a little busy these days and it will take some time until I do so I wanted to give some feedback before that. This campaign has an interesting effect, knowing how much gold the enemy has makes me very hesitant when starting a scenario, as I am pondering long over a viable strategy.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
marecki

Post by marecki »

So I just finished TFoB on medium difficulty; let me sum it up: wow. I absolutely loved the first scenario - I actually replayed it even after a relatively early win, that's how much I liked it. And the rest is every bit as good.
You introduce interesting fresh ideas to the game (like the ghost mechanic in Life and Undeath, critter wave in Dwarf City, or outfitting troops with new weapons) and the maps are beautifully crafted (except Fort Narig). If I were to pick at anything, I'd say the shamans feel kind of underpowered (I only leveled the loyal one and left it at that), they could really use either of the following: a) lvl3 upgrade, b) +8 heal, or c) marksman. There's simply not much incentive to use them, when you can spam grunts (like in the second scenario), or recall wraiths/spectres, since you fight A LOT of enemies with negative arcane resist (elves, trolls, drakes). Using these ghosts in particular may feel a little like cheating (just two spectres killed the entire green army in scenario 7 and I had, like, five of them at that time...).
Aside from this, I think the whole thing is nicely well balanced for an expert-level campaign, although I can imagine some parts (like the Guarded Door) can be extremely harsh without w few ghostly (re)calls. The story is pretty straightforward, but well told and I especially liked Krag-Ubor's uncompromising trigger-happy attitude - felt like I was leading a bunch of angry orcs, no mistake about that. :wink:
Thanks for making this amazing campaign. Damn, I really wanted to be more critical.
Theverat

Post by Theverat »

Hi,

just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful campaign. It was a pleasure to play it.

kind regards
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm glad you liked it!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

I gave feedback already for the first three scenarios, now starting again for the ?!? th time I can state once more this is wicked hard (on nightmare), 53 dead already in 3 scenarios. Had to play the 3rd one with minimal gold, but this went surprisingly smooth - with only 10 grunts and 2 slurbows. This time I got at least minimal carryover - wonder whether I can survive another 1:3 battle. Although I never finished it, I can say this is one of my favourite campaigns, so deadly. The 4th scenario was the easiest so far - assassination at turn 11 - but only in the 2nd try after I missed the annoying silver mage in the first one.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've never played all the way through at nightmare myself. I've been working on it to make it more balanced if necessary, but I'm stuck on the sixth scenario. I have added one or two turns to some scenarios, so feel free to do that if you are about to run out of time. (I hadn't planned on releasing the changed version until I completed it, but I could I guess.) It won't increase your gold much, but losing on time is awfully annoying. I might have to change the sixth scenario too, but I'm going to give it a few more tries. Let me know how that one goes.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

I had surprising trouble at scenario 5. I won it once, with too high losses, but since then I either end in negative gold and thereby lose or recruit not enough to be able to win. My recall list certainly doesn't help as I have no levelled alive melee units (quite a number of ghosts though :)) other than the loyals and recruiting more units is always problematic due to the victory condition ... after I ditched the ghosts but one shadow they went down easy enough (on the last turn). Still no levelled wolves and only one healer, but else the recall list is much strengthened. Start scenario 6 with 201 gold (against 1100) and tend to lose in many different ways. Did TBS really play scenario 6 with 100 gold? The only approach that looks promising is to gather all force / mobility you can buy for 200 gold and crush one side and maybe then you can make it to the entrance, but across the ice w/ a 4 MP unit somehow doesn't look very promising.
Last edited by taptap on January 28th, 2013, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I've played through the first two scenarios an I already love it. Congrats! There's one question: on the second scenario I had an assassin on my recall list. Is it because the other Orcs accepted my leadership after I had slain their leader or is it just a bug?
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I'm sorry for the double posting, but I experienced two bugs in the scenario with the city of the dwarfes.
1: A single rat was sitting on an immpassable hex in the northeast, so I had to cheat to kill the last enemy.

2:
Spoiler:
I can attach a replay if needed.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Cope

Post by Cope »

Hello,

I have finished the campaign now and I think this is the best campaign I ever have played. I have played most mainline and some add-ons.
What did I like? Every scenario is different and has different kind of challenges in tactics. There is also plenty of things to explore.

Thank You,

Cope
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep

Post by beetlenaut »

I have updated the campaign for Wesnoth 1.12! I hope I have squashed all the bugs. Happy Orcin'!

Edit: My apologies to both of you who downloaded it before I realized that it caused an error in the map editor. I didn't change the version number, but it doesn't show the error any more.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Bug Report:

Scenario 09 Dwarf City

EDIT: version 1.1.2 / BfW 1.12.2

If the Dragon (side 4) is the very last enemy unit on the map, and the player finaly kills him, then no victory event is trigered and the scenario never ends.

Code: Select all

[event]
			name=die
			first_time_only=no

[filter]
				side=3    # what if side=4 is the last enemy on the map?
			[/filter]
			[if]
				[and]
					[not]
						[have_unit]
							side=3
						[/have_unit]
					[/not]
					[not]
						[have_unit]
							side=4
						[/have_unit]
					[/not]
				[/and]
				[then]
					[endlevel]
						result=victory
						bonus=yes
						{NEW_GOLD_CARRYOVER 40}
					[/endlevel]
				[/then]
			[/if]
		[/event]
That's the only bug I found.
Thank you for this great and very enjoyable campaign.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
marat

Post by marat »

ru translation
Attachments
wesnoth-tfob.zip
.MO+.PO for TFoB (BfW1.12)
(60.25 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Thanks a lot, marat! It's on the server. You didn't fill in the translator line in the .po file, so I'm not sure who to credit.

@Adamant14 -- I did fix that bug, but totally forgot to thank you for finding it. Sorry. Thanks!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide