Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (Complete!)

Post by gnombat »

Thanks, I can confirm the assertion failure is no longer triggered with version 0.9.1.

(I added a comment about the new version in #16148 [Gna.org], since I forgot to mention the campaign version in my original bug report.)
Max

Post by Max »

can someone post replays for the first two scenarios?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I (finally) got a day off and added music and journey dots. I also made the first scenario a little easier to finish on the harder difficulties. Since I stole portraits from other campaigns, and nobody has reported a bug for a while, I'm calling this one done. If anyone wants to help, it would be nice to have at least a couple dedicated portraits and full animations for the shamans. Otherwise, just play it and have fun!
Max2008 wrote:can someone post replays for the first two scenarios?
I don't have them anymore, and have been too busy to replay them. I'll get to them eventually if you still want them.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
boru

Post by boru »

Max2008 wrote:can someone post replays for the first two scenarios?
My replay of New Leader got corrupted but here's Thieves.
Attachments
TFoB-Thieves_replay.gz
(33.99 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Max

Post by Max »

thanks - let's see what i've done wrong^^
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Hi beetlenaut, I noticed that in your campaign there are two events (when a leveled Goblin becomes a L2 Wolf Rider and when a dead L2 or L3 Orc becomes a L2 or L3 Ghost) where you have a menu made with [command][option]. Of course, you wanted to have the new unit sprite for each choice, and you solved this way:

Code: Select all

[message]
							speaker=narrator
							message= _ "What should our unit become?"
							image=choices/level_2_ghosts.png
							[option]
								message= _ "Wraith  (melee: 6-4 arcane, drains; ranged: 4-3 cold; HP: 25)"
								[command]
									[set_variable]
										name=ghost_type
										value=Wraith
									[/set_variable]
								[/command]
							[/option]
							[option]
								message= _ "Shadow  (melee: 8-3 blade, backstab; nightstalk, skirmisher;  HP: 24)"
								[command]
									[set_variable]
										name=ghost_type
										value=Shadow
									[/set_variable]
								[/command]
							[/option]
						[/message]
I'm currently adding a level 4 Elyssa in The Sojournings of Grog, and in Hack Start I wanted to give the player the option to choose if Elyssa should be a Great Mage or a Gold Mage, so I solved it this way:

[message]
		speaker=narrator
		image=wesnoth-icon.png
		message= _ "In this campaign, Elyssa can be a Great Mage or a Gold Mage. What do you choose?"
		#macro MENU_IMG_TXT as used in RPG Creation Kit. E_H.
		[option]
			message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "units/human-magi/arch-mage+female.png" _"A Great Mage"}
			[command]
				{ELYSSA (Great Mage) 8 1}
			[/command]
		[/option]
		[option]
			message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "units/human-magi/gold-mage+female.png" _"A Gold Mage"}
			[command]
				{ELYSSA (Gold Mage) 8 1}
			[/command]
		[/option]
	[/message]
ELYSSA is a unit creator macro that I have in TSoG; what may be interesting for you is the MENU_IMG_TXT macro, that gives me this result:
MENU_IMG_TXT.png
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I didn't realize that you could use that outside of [campaign]. It does look better, so I changed it. Thanks!

The way you did it, you are going to have translation problems. It should look like this:

message={MENU_IMG_TXT "units/human-magi/arch-mage+female.png" ( _ "A Great Mage")}
You can team color her too, if you want.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thanks to you, beetlenaut! I didn't noticed the double translation mark, and in RPG Creation kit is used this way:

message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "misc/ale.png" _"Buy a Tankard of Ale
Restores 5 hitpoints
Cost: 2g"}
message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "misc/dice.png" _"Enter a gambling game
If you roll highest you win 10g
Cost: 5g"}
As for team colouring, I just didn't thinked about it :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

It looks very good, but is there a way for the player to access the unit profile in help? This is especially important for custom unit types, but I think it would be useful for mainline units as well. Many players have a general idea of the difference between a Wraith and a Shadow, and the one-line summary helps (i.e., message= _ "Wraith (melee: 6-4 arcane, drains; ranged: 4-3 cold; HP: 25)") but there are cases where the player may want to look at the resistances or terrain modifiers.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

boru wrote:is there a way for the player to access the unit profile in help?
Of course that would be better, but how would you do it? I would much prefer something like the level-up dialog myself, but you can't create dialogs with WML. Could you do it in lua? If so, it's time for me to learn it.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

beetlenaut wrote:I would much prefer something like the level-up dialog myself, but you can't create dialogs with WML. Could you do it in lua? If so, it's time for me to learn it.
I suppose yes, but only in 1.9. There's been dialog functionality added to the user interface stuff. I've yet to try myself and I'd expect it to be an advanced lua task. :P
One would need to acquire and "construct" the info shown in the help menu maually probably though.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I put in a feature request for the ability to pop up the level-up dialog with WML.

In other news, TFoB is on the 1.9 server now! I think it all works, but I didn't play all the way through, so there may be a bug or some deprecated code somewhere. Let me know if you find any. I set the version back to 0.9.9 because I expect a couple obscure problems I'll need to fix before calling it 1.0.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
boru

Post by boru »

beetlenaut wrote:Of course that would be better, but how would you do it?
{ADVANCE_UNIT} will do it. The advanced Lua method is probably better, but here's how I do it with WML in my campaign. (The unit named Eeep starts as a level one Goblin Impaler, but can level to other custom level 2's.)

# store Eeep to get his experience:
        [store_unit]
            [filter]
                id=Eeep
            [/filter]
            variable=stored_eeep
        [/store_unit]

# the next two variables would be unnecessary in most cases, so just use $stored_eeep.experience and $stored_eeep.level later on:
# store Eeep's experience:
{VARIABLE eeep_experience $stored_eeep.experience}
# store Eeep's level:
{VARIABLE eeep_level $stored_eeep.level}

{ADVANCE_UNIT id=Eeep (Wolf Rider)}

{IF_VAR eeep_level equals 2 (
		[then]
			[message]
		        speaker=narrator
		        image="wesnoth-icon.png"
		        message= _ "Eeep was a level two goblin, so now he becomes a level two wolf rider! Note: this change is temporary."
		    [/message]

# Note: a dim Goblin Impaler requires 42 xp to level up, and a dim wolf rider requires 36 xp. I don't want players to be gypped out of 6 xp, so this is reflected below. It's possible to end up with a level one wolf rider with >36 xp, but that will sort itself out after his first attack:

[set_variable]
				name=eeep_experience
				add=6
			[/set_variable]

{ADVANCE_UNIT id=Eeep ""}
		[/then]
	)}
	        [store_unit]
	            [filter]
	                id=Eeep
	            [/filter]
	            variable=stored_eeep
	        [/store_unit]

{VARIABLE stored_eeep.experience $eeep_experience}

[unstore_unit]
	            variable=stored_eeep
			[/unstore_unit]

{CLEAR_VARIABLE stored_eeep}

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (For 1.9 too!)

Post by beetlenaut »

Hmm. Using {ADVANCE_UNIT} won't really work for my case, but using a similar method may. I'll look into it, but it will take completely rewriting that section, so it won't happen until I have some more time. (In the mean time, I'll hope something comes of my feature request.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
dthurston

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (For 1.9 too!)

Post by dthurston »

A minor bug report for the 1.9 version: On scenario 4, 'The Law', I get the following error messages:

20100906 22:25:55 warning ai/general: At difficulty level NORMAL, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Fathiel' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
20100906 22:26:03 error ai/actions: Return value of AI ACTION was not checked. This may cause bugs!