"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Ringcaat pondered thusly:
I'm hoping people with better computers than I have won't have so much trouble with it.
Alas, unlikely. I run Wesnoth on a new G5, and it's now taking minutes to bring up load-game lists - to the point that I switch to something else entirely, then repeat for the actual loading. Horrendous. If the culprit is auto-saving, then please, please, cease this; the reward is nowehere near worth the pain.
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

@Ringcaat
Long time ago I did a lot of work in translation the campaign to german language. Most of the translated files still exists.
If you have a stable version to work with set it on the translation server
and message me. I will finish the work if possible.
Please email or PM your status of the Gryphon Tale

Hochbass
Ringcaat

Post by Ringcaat »

Durnit! The developers apparently changed the 'fly' movement type, so that now it takes 3 movement points for a flying unit to cross a cave hex. That breaks Orcish Prison and the new scenario I'm working on.

I didn't want to have to create custom gryphon units, but now I can't think of a good alternative.

On the plus side, I've pretty much finished coding the new gigantic scenario, Revolt, and after a couple of frustrating days, I've eliminated enough bugs that it actually runs. I have a lot of work left, though.
This is a young gryphon. She likes cheese. She will steal all your cheese.
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Ringcaat wrote:Durnit! The developers apparently changed the 'fly' movement type, so that now it takes 3 movement points for a flying unit to cross a cave hex. That breaks Orcish Prison and the new scenario I'm working on.

I didn't want to have to create custom gryphon units, but now I can't think of a good alternative.
You don't have to change much of anything, really. Just copy/paste the files of the units you were using and change the movetype.

If I knew how to do movetypes, I'd do it myself.
Hiatus, epitome, colonel, sadist, Tucson, behemoth, quixote...
Okay, how many of those did you pronounce wrong?

My (very incomplete) campaign.
Ringcaat

Ready to publish, but...

Post by Ringcaat »

After a year since my last update and weeks of hard, tedious work, I have completed an update for A Gryphon's Tale!

The problem is, I can't seem to publish it. When I try, I get the Terms window and click OK, and then it just hangs, and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del Wesnoth. I tried waiting for half an hour.

It's the 1.1.7+ server that I'm talking about. I've been able to download campagns from it. I had trouble publishing in the past, but that was due to the Publish option not showing up. This time around, it's showing up, but the operation just isn't completing.

If no one has any ideas soon, I'll make the update into a zip file and post it here, old-style.
Ringcaat

Aha!

Post by Ringcaat »

Done! The problem turned out that I was just trying to send too much. I was including all the music that was taken out in 1.1, which drove the total campaign size to over 5 megs. I figured this would be okay because there are a couple of campaigns of that size, but maybe it just took their creators forever to publish them. Anyhow, I guess that leads me to my official announcement post...
Ringcaat

A Gryphon's Tale, version 0.6.0!

Post by Ringcaat »

I have just released version 0.6.0 of A Gryphon's Tale! This update took me weeks of labor and was rife with frustration and tedium, but it had to be done, because now that I've started this thing I can't leave it unfinished.

This update can be found on the 1.1.7+ server. Its features include:

* A new scenario! Scenario 11B, "Revolt", is by far the most complex and largest of the campaign.
* Scenario 3, "Canyon Race", has been revised significantly. I've taken steps to make it more elegant and less tedious.
* I finally started using [objective] tags.
* The dialogue has been brushed up throughout. I cut down the length just a little and made it a little less sappy in places.
* Akyah, Grankha, and Miolu are now automatically recalled in scenario 5, "Orcish Attack", to make it more tempting to use and advance them. The terrain around the pillars in this scenario has been changed to hills, and the rings of sand moved one space out, in order to make the inner rings more tempting to enemies so that they can be crushed more easily. To make up for these changes, the player is given less gold.

Most importantly, I had to make it 1.1.7+-compatible, which meant the following changes:

* The Orcish Shamans are gone, so I replaced them with Goblin Spearmen, which are slightly more likely to come in handy in Scenarios 7, 8, and 10B. I swapped out the Young Ogre in 10B for the Orcish Assassin.
* The Elvish Lord is gone, so I replaced it in 11A with an Elvish Marshal.
* The Cockatrice is gone, so I copied and pasted it in from Heir to the Throne.
* The art for the gryphon was changed. I prefer the old gryphon to the new one, and besides I'd already made modified versions of it, so I created a custom gryphon unit that uses the old images (except for the basic image, which I modified slightly to distinguish it from the Gryphlet image.) In addition, the movetype used by flying creatures was changed so that it takes them 3 points instead of 2 to move over a cave hex, which messed up Scenario 6, so I switched that back as well.
* I changed the music in scenario 10A to one of the new music files. I was disappointed to find that some of my favorite music tracks have been taken out. As noted above, including the old music tracks in the download would make it too large, but I strongly encourage players to copy the removed music files from an older version of the game into their music folders, because they fit the scenarios in this campaign so well. The files are wesnoth-3, 4, 6, 7 and 8.ogg.
* I had to change the formatting of the new abilities granted by the circles of power in scenario 11A.
* ...And miscellaneous smaller changes.

Because Wesnoth 1.1.7 is running slowly on my computer, I didn't test every scenario on every difficulty, as I've done in the past. It's possible there are bugs, especially in "Canyon Race", "Farcel Bironze", and "Revolt." As mentioned above, "Revolt" is...involved. I tried to test it pretty thoroughly, but I have a lingering fear, for example, that some of the moveto events may not always trigger in the right order. So, if something about the timing seems odd, let me know! I can't guarantee the balance in "Revolt" is perfect, either. I played around with income levels to make what was impossible reasonable, but I may have gone too far, or, on HARD, not far enough. Oh, by the way--"Revolt" is not the last scenario. Although a couple of its endings are striking when it cuts to the black screen with "The End", none of these actually represents an ending to the campaign. But don't worry, the ending is not far off.

I'm excited about this, especially the new scenario. If I get criticism, that means people are playing it, and that will make me happy. So, please, do give it a try and let me know your opinions.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Nice to see that fun campaign alive!! :-)
bloblo

Missing an unit on Scenario 8 The_Necromancers

Post by bloblo »

Wesnoth 1.1.8 Gryphon Tales scenario 8 The_Necromancers

Error message on load : "unknow unit type 'Orcish Shaman'"... the scenario quit !

I need support !

thanks
server

Re: Missing an unit on Scenario 8 The_Necromancers

Post by server »

bloblo wrote:Wesnoth 1.1.8 Gryphon Tales scenario 8 The_Necromancers

Error message on load : "unknow unit type 'Orcish Shaman'"... the scenario quit !
Look at Ringcaat's post (2 posts above yours). I suspect you will need to (A) go back and play scenario 7 again, (B) get the new version from campaign server, or (C) do both (A) and (B).
bloblo

Re: Missing an unit on Scenario 8 The_Necromancers

Post by bloblo »

server wrote:Look at Ringcaat's post (2 posts above yours). I suspect you will need to (A) go back and play scenario 7 again, (B) get the new version from campaign server, or (C) do both (A) and (B).
correct... i'm now at the 10th scenario !
Ringcaat

Post by Ringcaat »

Woot! I'm wondering if the reason I haven't gotten any feedback yet is that no one wants to play through all the early scenarios just to get to the new one. I should probably put up a saved game, huh?
Korialtrash

Post by Korialtrash »

Good Day, Ringcaat

I must say I'm impressed of what have you done so far. I played your "Gryphon's Tale" campaign as my second one in my entire adventure with Wesnoth game. You created beautiful novel-like story, combined with fight and strategy. Rarely from that combination comes something that is loved by story fans and strategy fans – but you manage to do it. You made so good atmosphere in your campaign, I loved Neli from the first time I saw her. She was strong and full of pride, although she was very young. I felt sad, when she was captured by orcs, but she survive and she even found a friend in enemy environment. Dialogues you had made are brilliant - take consider of writing own fantasy book. I'm the first, who want to buy it ;-)
All right, enough of my opinion, now I have a few questions
First of all I want to know if you had written some kind story, or something similar. Just something to read for long autumn evenings. Some story with your descriptions of what’s happening. If so, if you writed such story, I’ll be honored, if you send me it, or publish on that board. Just to read about brave gryphon who doesn’t surrender no matter of circumstances.
Second question is about technical things (I write poetry, I hate technical things ;-) ) – Don’t you think, that you should make easier "easy� level of difficult. I’m not the best strategy men, so I had minor problems with some of your mission (at least I was lack of gold in later scenarios). Let say – "hard� for real strategy-mans, "medium� for all who want to play and "easy� for that, who wants know the story ;)
And the last question is easy – I want to help you the best I can. I can provide translation "Gryphon’s Tale� for Polish language, so men from Poland, who don’t know English can still know the story of your gryphons. I can made such translation as professionally as I am able to do (of course not at the level of professional translators). If you are interested with my help, just agree for making my translation. Thank you in advance

I hope you didn’t run away, when you had saw the post length ;-) Best wishes for you and your work. Let the "Gryphon’s Tale� be even better than is now… if is it possible. And let your strength never let you down, so you can finish all you wanted to do. Wind to your wings!
And you sow - maybe something grow...
And you - that what have grown - gather!
And you celebrate what are living happy!
And you respect, what is dying...
Jacek Kaczmarski (my own translation to English)
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

this is the best campaign ever! :D

Being the first campaign i played, i found it really quite interesting. CTF was a stroke of genius, along with the invention of the zolpha. truly amazing.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the next scenarios. I think that maybe zolphas are too weak to defend themselves- maybe an attack that involves crushing the enemy with a boulder would be reasonable? :twisted: Also, having another evolution of the pizolpha might be really fun to use......

Overall, i think this is a fantastic campaign, and you really did an excellent job! :D

Cheers, Patrick.
Dont read this. Seriously. Stop it! Im warning you! Thats it, your going to be asassinated by 42 Spanish fighting midgets with hacksaws!
Ringcaat

Post by Ringcaat »

Yay!

Alrighty, these nice comments are enough to get me revving to go again. :) Amazing what a kind word can do, isn't it?

This month, I've been busy with an online roleplaying world called Kings and Vagabonds MUCK. It's one of many, many places based on Disney's "The Lion King" (what would you expect from the guy whose main characters are half-lion?) and it opened in early October. As one of the wizzes I've been busy getting it started, and for the last two weeks I've been running its ongoing Halloween plot. :D And next month, I'll be doing National Novel Writing Month, where thousands of people attempt to write an entire short novel in a month. So chances are I won't be making any new updates in November. I'll try to get some work done, though, and I'll aim for an update in December.

dwarfdude: Glad you liked it! As for the zolpha being ridiculously underpowered--well, that's true! That's because they're shrimpy little animals. ;D But their extreme weakness is just part of who they are, and I'm not gonna change it. The pizolpha, likewise, is the way it is for a reason, which should become clear near the end of the campaign.

Korialtrash: Hee :) I don't actually have a story I'm basing this on--it's a story told in the medium I think is best for it, that being a Wesnoth campaign. I do write fantasy, though, and I'd be willing to send you something I've written if you like. I'm not published yet. As for toning down the difficulty, I'll consider it, although I've already made the EASY setting easier a couple of times.

When it comes to translations, I just never quite figured out what it was I was supposed to do to make it translatable. The fact that I went back and changed things a lot would have made it tough on translators. Just the same, it's about time to finally do it...so I'll make that a priority for the next update. It's good to know the unfinished campaign still gets played even though it's no longer at the head of the list. Ciao!