"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Protoss_Honor

Post by Protoss_Honor »

okay, pardon me if this problem has been adrressed and fixed, but the custom unit images do not work for me, it just shows a blank land tile where the unit is supposed to be, why is that?
smartguy

Post by smartguy »

Any news here? I just played this outstanding campaign! :)
There are not much campaigns with such a great story and lots of new ideas in it and I'm curious how the story ends. :)

Just a few notes: The diffculty of some senarious is very high while in other it's rather low. So it's in one of the first scenarios possible to kill the big leader without much or even any save/reload while the currently last scenario where you have to train a zopha is nearly impossible at all w/o a lot of save/reload. After all I saw that there were lots of comments in the files what to do etc. - you said that there are 3 ways to win the last scenarior but actually there is only one which at least has a small chance without save/reload. You wrote that zolphas can be put into a wall and fight until they get 40 exp or always to have the last hit when the enemy unit is 1 hp. The wall tactic doesn't work well because the chance that the zolpha get killed is not only 1 of 50 but nearly 6% per fight as most units have 3 or even 4 attacks! That means if you let the zolpha fight against a 3-attack unit for 20 turns, that's 40 fights and 120 attacks so the chance that the zolpha get not hit at all is only 0.98^120 = 8.8%! if it is attacked by a unit with 4 attacks it's even below. The task to have a zolpha performing the last hit without any save/reload is also not much better but both are much easier with save/reload compared to the last way, the enchantment.

I don't complain in any way, it's a great scenario and a very very creative campain, I mean CTF? Race? Zolpha Hunt? Very great und much fun! :) I also found out what to do in it without reading the comments, I only confess that I did some save/reload to find out what the enchantments do. :) I only want to point out that zolphas are too weak. Firstly they are not even as strong as a level 0 unit and have beside that the can reach slowly some special places in some scenarios nothing really useable at all. And what helps the only big resistance of 400% vs. cold if they are still not immune to the stone-spell, I was very surprised about this, it would have been very logical that the also magical zolphas could not get turned to stone. :(

I think this should be done regarding to zolphas:
  • all resists should be -100, 0 or 100, they make zolphas special I know, but 400% is ridiculous IMHO
  • a level1 zolpha should at least survive 1 hit of any level 1 unit
  • maybe level1 zolphas should be level 0 as they are really useless at that stage and pizolpha should be 1 then
  • their speed in cave walls should be increased to 2 fields per turn
  • they should get some protection in forests, maybe 50-90% as they like to live and hide there
  • maybe also get the ambush-skill of elven rangers, I mean it's hard to discover zolphas ins forests, isn't it? :)
  • maybe a bit more damage, like 1 hit 4 damage
  • maybe less needed exp, 40 is rather high if you have such a weak creature
Everything else is fine, maybe a bit too much texts sometimes and some minor difficulty issues in some scenarios. I'm really curious what will happen finally to this lovely musicless gryphon civilization. :)
claus

Post by claus »

If the zolphas would be level 0, they would be worse than now, because level 0 units have no ZoC.

I believe that the 400% cold resistance is now treated like a 100% cold resistance, but in far older versions all % attack modifiers were just added together, which meant for example a unit with 100% fire resitance would get only a 25% damage reduction when attacked by a Mage with a level 3 leadership unit around (+50%) during day (+25%), a unit with 400% resistance would still be over 100%, which means one damage per hit.
toms

Post by toms »

I think the campaign is broken... :(
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ixal

Post by Ixal »

Ii agree, a very good campaign.
I can't await how the story continues. I hope there will be a reunion with the rest of the Gryphons.
userqwerty

Griphon Riders vs Free Griphons

Post by userqwerty »

The Griphon Riders in orkish part of the plot are inferrior to free griphons trained well to chieftain level. I know i am comparing apples and oranges here since one is level 2 and one is level 3. would you consider changing the damage type for the orkish griphon rider to javelin and giving them charge bonus maybe. No ork or goblin would be content with letting the mount do all the figting.
Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

i cant find the zaphod thing. it just isnt there
never give up. as long as u keep going u still have a chance
Kiexcolo

Post by Kiexcolo »

Interesting campaign, I haven't completed it yet though, died in the 4th scenerio :? . Anyway, I completed scenrio 3 without causing a landslide. All I had to do was place zebby 2 hex ahead of me, so that the lead gryphon is only 1 hex ahead and next turn I place zebby right in front of me so the lead gryphon can only fly behind me, you can probably solve that by lowering zebby's number of moves.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I did it by sending zebby streight to the villages and capturing all of them. Kind of messes with the AI (it won't finish the race after that).
bignall

No cockatrices

Post by bignall »

I'm playing Farcel Bironze, but there are no cockatrices being recruited. Is there something wrong with the scenario?

Rosina
scott

Re: No cockatrices

Post by scott »

bignall wrote:I'm playing Farcel Bironze, but there are no cockatrices being recruited. Is there something wrong with the scenario?

Rosina
In 1.1, the cockatrice unit was removed from the core unit list and moved the the Heir to the Throne unit list. The campaign author will have to make a copy of the unit and update the campaign.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
bignall

Re: No cockatrices

Post by bignall »

scott wrote: In 1.1, the cockatrice unit was removed from the core unit list and moved the the Heir to the Throne unit list. The campaign author will have to make a copy of the unit and update the campaign.
So, until the author fixes this, copying the cockatrice unit from Heir to the Throne into the units for Gryphon Tale does the trick! Now, I can try to get that enchantment! Thanks for the help.
Ringcaat

Hello again, everyone!

Post by Ringcaat »

Well, I've been bad. I made an incomplete campaign and took off to do other stuff for a year, leaving the good people here to clean up the mess that Wesnoth upgrades would inevitably make. I am back now, however, and until I get full-time work, which may be a while yet, I'll be putting in some time again on this campaign. I confess I hardly even know where to start. Before trying to finish designing the next scenario, (which is very tricky to balance and code), I'm going to have to figure out all the new Wesnoth policies and changes and fix all the bugs that've cropped up.

So, cockatrices are out, eh? Well, I can put them back in, no problems there. And someone actually took care of the translation issues? Thanks a ton, hochbass.

I see that A Gryphon's Tale isn't up on the new campaign server. Is that because it was broken, or because campaigns only got put up there if their owners did it themselves?

Summaries of what's changed for developers over the last year are appreciated. ;-)
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

1.0.2 uses a different campaignserver then 1.1.x and and 1.2.x will probably continue to use that one while 1.3.x will get a new one again.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
toms

Post by toms »

Ringcaat, you continue this campaign? Nice! :D

Campaigns appear only on development server if you upload them there.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!