NEW: Elvish Dynasty RPG

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpenceLack

Re: NEW: Elvish Dynasty RPG

Post by SpenceLack »

Gwynnedrion wrote:I can't beat the "finale" scenario where you have to fight the Empire. I keep getting overrun (playing on Easy). I'm mostly using fencers and elven archers with occasionaly a shaman. Got any tips or strategy for this one?
You can either make your stand in the forests or at the wall. Fighting at the wall will allow you to quickly reinforce your troops.

But the forests give you a better defense bonus for your shamans and archers. And you'll also have the ambush ability in forests after Kirielle shows up. But this comes at the price of abandoning a few villages to the humans and of course you won't be able to reinforce your troops as quickly.

I like to hold at the wall and if things start going bad I'll fall back to the forests.

Note that some enemy troops are much more dangerous than others. Linsvail gives his troops +2 damage (melee and ranged), +6 hit points, +2 move, AND regeneration. So his level 1s are more like level 2s, and his level 3s are more like level 4s. But Linsvail's lackeys are using much weaker unity magic so you can devote fewer resources to fighting them.

Because Linsvail's army regenerates you should focus on dealing a lot of damage to just one or two units so that they won't have time to regenerate. If you've got fencers they've got the skirmish ability so you can ignore enemy zones of control to swarm individual enemy units.

Crossing over to the human side of the river is very dangerous. Unless you've got a seriously buff army of veterans you should probably limit yourself to harassment attacks by elvish scouts; If your scout can slip past the enemy you can start snagging his rear area villages...this will hurt his economy and probably divert some of his troops from the front lines which can be a good tradeoff for you.

Linsvail's level 3s are your primary threat...luckily there are only a few of them on the Easy difficulty level. You should prepare yourself for when the level 3s crash against your defenses...have melee units ready for his mages, have shamans and archers ready to pounce on his haberdiers, ect.

Good luck, and I'll see if I can post up a replay later today...

Edit: Replay posted for v.0.9.7
For this battle I made several serious tactical errors, not the least of which was to carelessly lose Celadine within the first few turns. But this shows how it can be beaten.

I also noticed in this game that Celadine's stats were not quite right. I fixed this bug before but it seems to have come back. I'll fix it in the next update...
Attachments
ElDy-Finale_replay.gz
(99.95 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

"Finale" is very difficult to defeat by defending (I imagine this is intentional), but it is very easy to bring your whole army through one of the four openings and assassinate Marshal Linsvail. I won this way on turn 7. IMO, you should make this approach much harder; it seems to violate the spirit of the scenario.
Stafford

Post by Stafford »

When I was playing on easy, I had about 900 gold, so I just mass recruited elf fighters and overran the Marshal with my greater numbers *snort*. So much for numeric inferiority.

Sure, my Kingdom Popularity fell from 100 to 34 during that, but well, I won it.

But first, I spent a lot of gold raising Byrony's and Aurelia's happiness to 95, so I had a fair share of unity magic.
boombox

Post by boombox »

Love this campaign! Just wanted to say very nice work.
thy413

Post by thy413 »

Is anyone else having lots of difficulties on "Holding Back"? I am playing Medium. I can win that scenario, but not at the cost of several leveled up troops and lots of gold for cannon fodders and happiness. When the only reward of this scenario is 5 happiness and experience for troops, I see there is no reason to choose the this combat option when 5 happiness don't even make up for the dead troops and one lose more veterans than level up new recruits. Also you lose more gold for recruiting/recalling than you could gain back for finishing early. I find this level harder than coronation.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

On assasination I got game over one turn before i reached the Snipers Perch.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Finale gets unknown unit type bug.
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

Zigg and thy413...I will check on this and hopefully get an update posted today or tomorrow.
Arent

Post by Arent »

I absolute love this campaign. Together with Northern Rebirth probably the best one :)

Two general suggestions:

1) You might want to consider keeping the campaign open ended & let the players go on to tackle random 'incidents' (They would start getting repetitive but some people would not mind :)). If you compare to the NationStates game the people there do not play to reach an end but to form their 'ideal' state.

2) You mention in your post to give the player in the end a feedback on what they archived but that it takes too many variables/slows down. Still I think it is a very good idea. One could either do a feedback like in the fallout games - to tell how certain 'incidents' developed further after you intervened more or less sucessfully. Or one could tell the players like in NationStates what kind of state they formed by their decisions. If you decided to draft the orphans into the army, assasinate etc. you will have an authoritarian monarchy, if you build orphanages, ally with other races etc. your state will be liberal etc.
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

Thanks again for the great feedback. I have uploaded version 0.9.8 to the add-on server.

Changelog:
1. I added villages to "Jungle Lairs". I really wanted this to be a level where you had to depend on shamans/shydes for healing, but there were just too many monsters with poison attacks to make it work right. In the end monster variety won out over forcing the player to adopt a healer-based strategy. I also lowered the monster spawn rate.

2. If the player gets a kingdom happiness check during years 6-10 they will no longer be forced to go directly to the event; now players will be able to finish their business in the Sacred Glade before getting their reward/punishment.
jpaulson wrote:"Finale" is very difficult to defeat by defending (I imagine this is intentional), but it is very easy to bring your whole army through one of the four openings and assassinate Marshal Linsvail. I won this way on turn 7. IMO, you should make this approach much harder; it seems to violate the spirit of the scenario.
3. In "Finale" I added some bodyguards for Linsvail. It's still possible for risk-taking players to rush him and win but it's much harder now. I also added an ooze-centric dialogue for when you're negotiating at the the beginning. The whole battle is now 5 turns shorter as well.

4. In "Holding Back" the enemy now gets less gold on all difficulty levels.

5. On "Coronation" and "Finale" if the player chose the bad ending option it would cause a bug with unity magic and gold. That is now fixed.
Zigg wrote:Finale gets unknown unit type bug.
I was able to duplicate this, but not every time. I THINK it's related to the bug mentioned above, because I wasn't able to duplicate it after I made this fix. Please let me know if this pops up again.
Zigg wrote:On assasination I got game over one turn before i reached the Snipers Perch.
Was this a bug or running out of time (Bryony will say something if you run out of time)? If this was a bug I wasn't able to duplicate it... IIRC on the hardest difficulty level you need to take the (quicker) route on the left or you'll run out of time.

6. "Bryony's Big Adventure." You now keep all your gold after completing this scenario. It seemed unfair to tax the player since they couldn't recruit and there was only one village.

7. ""Coastal Defense"." Pinnaces have traded in their ballista attacks for a net attack that slows. Meanwhile the Frigates have had their ballistas upgraded. Now Pinnaces are more survivable and thus more of a viable choice for the player to recruit (though Frigates remain formidable).

8. Fixed some typos.
Arent wrote:1) You might want to consider keeping the campaign open ended & let the players go on to tackle random 'incidents' (They would start getting repetitive but some people would not mind :)). If you compare to the NationStates game the people there do not play to reach an end but to form their 'ideal' state.

You mention in your post to give the player in the end a feedback on what they archived but that it takes too many variables/slows down. Still I think it is a very good idea.
Glad you liked it! I have been considering ways to have a more comprehensive ending... If I can find a way to make it work I'll definitely put it in the next update!
Nkwazi

Post by Nkwazi »

Amazing campaign! I absolutely love it. I latched on to it through the Ooze mini-campaign - I looked at it and thought: What the heck, this is just so ridiculous I just have to try it and ended up playing it through in one sitting, while I was writing exams (Shh! Don't tell anyone). Great work and when can we expect the next one?
Nazrel

Post by Nazrel »

Loved the campaign!

Though I thought it was a tad short.

One other thing I noticed though was the dependency on foreign mercenaries. That works perfectly well with the narrative, but historically there are downsides to this tactic. You may want to add some events where there's the risk of them deserting or turning against you, also maybe a yearly upkeep cost to keep them.

I doubt I've gotten every event, so if you already have things like this, sorry for mentioning it.
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

Thank you for the feedback!!!

I've uploaded v0.9.9 to the add-on server. This put the campaign's [textdomain]s in the proper format (thank you Espreon!) but gameplay has not been altered.

I've got plans to add a few more levels to this campaign if I can find the time. There's no definite timetable on when that might happen though. One of the planned scenarios would involve an attempt to prevent an imminent mutiny by mercenaries working for Floria.
Arent

Post by Arent »

I really wonder why not more people are drawn to comment on your campaign. I think it is better than most main line campaigns. Perhaps the name Elvish Dynasty RPG is not drawing enough attention or misleading? Perhaps you should have made more advertisement for the special 'features' of your campaign? I mean they really are special features :P
Arent

Post by Arent »

Perhaps you should post screenshots of the decision trees, the throne room diplomacy, the dialog to choose what to train, what to spend gold for, which national incident to tackle etc.