Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xbriannova

Re: Humor Campaign: Talentless Mage (1.7/1.8)

Post by xbriannova »

I played through the first scenario and already I love it! You have a good sense of humour and its a nice idea. I wanted to continue but I'm too hungry to play any games right now, so...

Keep up the good work! Perhaps some day you'd be able to create a campaign for the mainline with a humour genre to it. Most if not all of the campaigns in Wesnoth so far are mostly serious, with some humour here and there. We could use campaigns of different genre heh. :)
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

first off i am really enjoying this campaign, humor but not a joke of a campaign.

I would add a bit at the start of the first scenario to explain why the random assortment of Baddies; such as "what type of enemies do you expect to run into? Duh, everybody knows that at the start of any adventure you have random encounters."

when the Mr Knight is reading the letter ....two useless mages "on a " impossible quest... might be better english.

i enjoyed the map and villians on the Taxman, but felt a lack of justification. Maybe have the taxman Hassle the Mages more, "Finally some mages I can push around...."

In the cave i had my reluctant white mage pick up the healing. I thought from the text that the unit would be Self healing, not other healing. If it is supposed to be Self healling (ala troll) it did not work.

excellent scenario so far

stillcen
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

Finished the scenario.

Dang those last couple were tricky, in the since that i lost several of my best Noobs (those with 60+) HPs.

As far as balancing goes, in the very first scenio the orcs at the start of the path are about right, but the rest is a real push over.

stillcen
Nova

Post by Nova »

That was an enjoyable campaign; well done. To my surprise, since it was billed as a humor campaign, there was real gameplay involved: playing with the noobs led to a genuinely different tactical experience. I had to rethink some of my strategies to win with units who improve so slowly.

Going forward, I'd suggest looking over the dialogue again. Like stillcen started to say, there are a few places where the English feels unnatural, as if it were either awkwardly translated or written in a great hurry. Since dialogue is where the players most directly see your work, a little bit of polishing there makes the entire campaign appear disproportionately more professional. Spelling and punctuation count, too!

On the second-to-last level, if Hemaic is killed by an enemy, it registers as a win, not a loss. I'm pretty sure it's because
Spoiler:
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

I have released new version (1.0.1) to 1.7 add-on server. No changes to 1.6 because it'll be obsolete soon. I fixed the bug that caused death of Hemiac to register as win. Also fixed some of the dialogue and made clear that the necklace heals others instead of self-healing.

I am not satisfied with the dialogue in my campaigns. If would be great if someone wanted to help me with the dialogue/texts. I don't expect that to happen though.
Campaigns that I have created (now updated to 1.14):
Bitter Revenge, The Dark Alliance, Battle Against Time, Talentless Mage
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

cant survive for 10 turns!

plz help
Attachments
TM-07_Superior_Forces-Autospeichern1.gz
(42.99 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
knight1707

Post by knight1707 »

Hi great ideas and really funny...

although its way too hard to be fun....

I manged to struggle through to level 10....the only way to beat the dragon is to use a lot of gold...so I start with 140 gold or so on level 10...

its impossible......even with the old tired and rather annoying load re-load tactic.....

I had a few good troops left but the amount of enemies are just overpowering...

How did anyone beat this...... (without the load re-load which really spoils it for me)
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

The 10th scenario is supposed to be quite hard. I wanted the last "real" scenario to be epic and challenging. Veterans are very much necessary to win the scenario. I have usually ~150 gold and that is enough to recall my best veterans.

The strategy is:
-Take your time, there is no need to rush. It's the last scenario and there is no turn limit. The scenario will last at least 50 turns.
-Use your two healers to heal your wounded units. Use other units to protect them.
-There are some bottlenecks. Use them to your advantage if possible.
-Hemiacs illumination is very powerful underground. Use it as much as possible
-Horse Noobs have 40% defense on flat and 20% underground. Try to occupy the road with horse noobs.
-The flying drakes can be real pain. They usually attack without warning. Lava illuminates and gives them boost. Place your units so that they can't attack you from the lava.
-If you still have your berserker, you can use Narts slow+berserker to finish your enemies.
-It is OK to lose some of your veterans. If you lose too many of them too early, restart.
Campaigns that I have created (now updated to 1.14):
Bitter Revenge, The Dark Alliance, Battle Against Time, Talentless Mage
knight1707

Post by knight1707 »

Thanks for the reply.

I love the skill tree idea, I wish it was 20 or 30 levels so could really build up my guys.

This is my fav senario at the moment.

Please make more stuff like this...but please please....a tad easier :)

so us poor average players dont have to save relod so much.
Indy_Jones

Post by Indy_Jones »

Finished the campaign...what a great campaign! Great humor, great dialogue, great originality. I liked that many of the scenarios differed from the "Kill the enemy leader" objective. The "Stupid Puzzle" was good.

The Noobs' AMLA levelling was great. I often gave them an additional strike for their first level up and then added damage (it's a lot easier when doubling XP only means going from 15 to 30 instead of 40 to 80).

Thanks for the time, humor, and fun!
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Will this be added to the 1.8.X server?
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

It is already on the 1.8.X server.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

My bad, I must have overlooked it! *checks again* Ahaha, indeed! *downloads*
:D
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

It is MOST INGENIUS!
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
bayesian

Post by bayesian »

A fix for the Coward Newb

Currently the description is:

Code: Select all

description= _ "Coward Noob is a cowardly 'commander'. Rather than leading the troops in frontline, he rather attacks enemies from the back. Or uses bolas to slow down his enemies and then runs away (that doesn't really work in game because the unit has to move before he attacks)."+{SPECIAL_NOTES}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_BACKSTAB}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_SLOW
This CAN work in game, with a simple one line addition. Add 'movement_used=1' to the bolas attack configuration and the resulting effect is exactly what the description intends. ie. My Coward Newb.cfg now includes the exerpt:

Code: Select all

[attack]
        name=bolas
        description= _"bolas"
        type=impact
        range=ranged
        damage=4
        number=1
	movement_used=1
        [specials]
            {WEAPON_SPECIAL_SLOW}
        [/specials]