1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lostnumber

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.3

Post by lostnumber »

any idea where the userdata folder is? It is not in my wesnoth directory (or at least not that I can find). I vaguely seem to remember it saying it was putting the saves somewhere else during the install
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

LoSts Dialogue Fixes for BMR Part 2

Introduction
Spoiler:

Orders
Spoiler:

Interlude
Spoiler:

Enough is Enough
Spoiler:
More soon
Last edited by lostnumber on February 10th, 2010, 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

since I JUST played all these levels I dont really want to replay them, but I'm having a little bit of trouble organizing what bits are part of what level, in terms of the in-between level narration pieces. Maybe if I can find my userdata folder (which I'm assuming has downloaded campaigns) I can take a look directly at the source text for the first few levels
Pyrotics

Post by Pyrotics »

lostnumber wrote:any idea where the userdata folder is? It is not in my wesnoth directory (or at least not that I can find). I vaguely seem to remember it saying it was putting the saves somewhere else during the install
The default install (for windows anyways) has the radial for locations set to the My Documents folder on your computer, that's where you will find your wesnoth data, specifically it should be something along the lines of Documents->My Games->Wesnoth (for Vista anyways). You can just do a search in your documents directory if you're having trouble. This is, of course, assuming you can't find it int he base wesnoth directory (where it was installed).

I'm now having an issue with the Ukiah map after the scnario "West", it's finding an Unknown unit type (which I assume means there's something wrong with Belleros not spawning, but I can't be certain).
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

try this savefile Doofus
Attachments
BMR2-Ukiah.gz
(19.51 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:since I JUST played all these levels I dont really want to replay them, but I'm having a little bit of trouble organizing what bits are part of what level, in terms of the in-between level narration pieces.
Understandable. The dialogue for the skirmishes is at the bottom of <userdata>/add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/utils/skirmish.cfg (I think, will check). I basically tried to keep it generic enough that different characters could say the lines without it being weird, but some character specific lines could be used. I also hope to get more possible lines, so the skirmishes are less repetitive, but there are other things to work on first.

If you were referring to the intro scenes, the parts with no units & hex maps, those should be at the top of the scenario .cfg files. For some, I had them in a separate file, but that should not be the case for too many anymore. I think utils/intro.cfg is one such separate file.
Pyrotics wrote:I'm now having an issue with the Ukiah map after the scnario "West", it's finding an Unknown unit type (which I assume means there's something wrong with Belleros not spawning, but I can't be certain).
I've been working on that part recently, and thought it was working. But maybe I broke something. I may be able to figure this out easily, but could you post your save-game just in case? Thanks.
lostnumber wrote:try this savefile Doofus
I'll look at it this evening, thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pyrotics

Post by Pyrotics »

I think I might have lost my save somewhere, I was moving files around earlier (as I do with my saves to keep my load list small), and I might have accidently copied over it or something... hmm. Sorry?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Pyrotics wrote:I think I might have lost my save somewhere, I was moving files around earlier (as I do with my saves to keep my load list small), and I might have accidently copied over it or something... hmm. Sorry?
That's OK. I'll just keep in mind that there may be a problem there.

---------------
Version 0.9.4 just got uploaded. It includes a few bugfixes (such as the Goblin Knight mentioned above) and a system that should make it clear that you need Archaic Era if you don't have it installed.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
lostnumber

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.4

Post by lostnumber »

been busy with school and the GF, I'll get back to dialogue at some point in the next week or two
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.4

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.5 went to the server. There were some bug-fixes in Part III, after the Mt. Tien scenario.
lostnumber

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.5

Post by lostnumber »

haven't forgotten about this just need to find the time
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.5

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.6 just went to the server. Some changes to Archaic Era had broken the last scenario of part 3, but now it should work again.
lostnumber

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.6

Post by lostnumber »

Finished up dialogue fixes for the introduction and also fixed/improved some of the fixes I had previously posted. Obviously since the introduction is significantly longer then most of the dialogue in the Campaign, it needed significantly more editing.

Before I really dive into this project more fully, I would like to note a couple of things:

-I'm not perfect so there will undoubtedly be things I suggest that are simply wrong, or are not functional improvements, whether its because I overlooked something in the dialogue, or simply because I didn't have enough coffee and wasn't thinking straight. In re-reading my suggestions I already noted one or two of these cases and fixed them.
-There are obviously going to be stylistic differences between us, and so it is understandable that not all of my stylistic suggestions will be appealing to you.

This story is ultimately your product, and you have full creative control. For this reason, and those mentioned above, I dont expect you to make every change I ask for. However I WOULD ask that if you disagree with me on a particular change (especially if its something I wrote a detailed explanation for), that you give me some feedback as to why. If I take the time to do all of this work and then you go fix some of the minor grammar problems I point out, while ignoring the more extensive suggestions I made without giving a rationale, I'll feel a bit miffed and I probably wont feel as inclined to provide a detailed critique.

Hope this helps, I enjoy your campaigns.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Also note that ironically, I do not spell-check or otherwise edit my corrections of your stuff. So its very possible I have misspelled words and errors. For the first several paragraphs I re-typed them by hand because I was looking at the dialogue in game instead of from the CFG files. So its possible there are errors in my paragraphs that aren't in your version. Ignore these. If there was a problem in your version I noted it
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lostnumber wrote:However I WOULD ask that if you disagree with me on a particular change (especially if its something I wrote a detailed explanation for), that you give me some feedback as to why. If I take the time to do all of this work and then you go fix some of the minor grammar problems I point out, while ignoring the more extensive suggestions I made without giving a rationale, I'll feel a bit miffed and I probably wont feel as inclined to provide a detailed critique.
Certainly understandable. Along similar lines, I should say that the release schedule, if one can call it that, is governed by bug-fixes and to a lesser extent gross balancing issues. Art gets included or revised if I've had a chance to test it and there happens to be a release. Text re-writes haven't been so much of an issue yet, but I'd want to test (or "see the actors do a rehearsal") before including. So, there will be a lag and if you see a couple of releases come out and still the text is the same as ever, it doesn't mean I've silently brushed you off. I'll let you know.
lostnumber wrote:-I'm not perfect so there will undoubtedly be things I suggest that are simply wrong, or are not functional improvements, whether its because I overlooked something in the dialogue, or simply because I didn't have enough coffee and wasn't thinking straight. In re-reading my suggestions I already noted one or two of these cases and fixed them.
I wonder if this text-revision project might be better moved to its own thread because it may very well get buried here (especially if something in the campaign gets broken). If you started a new topic in Writer's Forum, maybe some other people could have useful suggestions. If you think that would only lead to pot-shots and noise, send me the text in a PM.

Thanks.