The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thx.
sneef wrote:there were a variety of minor WML errors playing through due to 1.9.4 being more recent than the development version.
There can't be a more recent BfW version than the one I'm using to develop the campaign. ^_^
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Insta-kill was the WML-warning one you encountered. I recall it now.
Please give more information. Steps to reproduce the bug/bugs/error or warning messages you got. A start-of-scenario-save is always nice.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

It's as simple as ramming another ship, using the little ram boats. Floating text is deprecated, so it gives a little error and does it all anyway.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

thanks
It seems I fixed it locally but didn't upload a new version since then.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Got the following errors trying to start a new campaign in The Earth's Gut:
20110424 15:12:42 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/xxx/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/The_Earths_Gut/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
preprocessor symbol 'PICKUPPABLE_ITEM' expects 10 arguments, but has 8 arguments at ~add-ons/The_Earths_Gut/scenarios/19_Prison.cfg:562 included from ~add-ons/The_Earths_Gut/_main.cfg:48 included from ~add-ons/The_Earths_Gut/scenarios/19_Prison.cfg:572 included from ~add-ons/The_Earths_Gut/_main.cfg:48

20110424 15:12:45 error general: Unknown scenario: '01t_The_old_home'
I updated add-ons just before trying and there was nothing new. Using wesnoth 1.9.5.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Updated the version on the addons server...
projects (BfW 1.12):
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Thanks it is working now!

(update)
In 06_The_great_gates
there are a bunch of villages labeled "reserved" and owned by elves. If they are labeled with elvish names the player should get the idea not to capture them, but if the player doesnt go by the spirit of the agreement to help the elves they deserve to have the elves change sides. While waiting to finish off the spider i sent a couple spare units to grab all the non-labeled villages from the elves hehehe

(update2)
At the beginning of 07_The_bridge_is_broken i get the following message in .xsession-errors during the dialogs:
warning engine: cannot show message
so maybe there is something i didnt get to read.

In 08_Lost i see these messages when we meet the captured troll's friends:
warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 27,14 to 36,8: ignoring complexities
warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 27,14 to 36,7: ignoring complexities
warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 27,14 to 39,8: ignoring complexities
warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 27,14 to 38,6: ignoring complexities
and then again with different coordinates when they move away.
The dialog page that tells you how many of each unit you get to keep for subsequent scenarios seems too complex. I will think about how it could be made shorter without losing meaning.

(update3)
Please find attached some suggestions for clearer and more natural english dialogue. In most cases i think the sentences read more smoothly if verbs are changed to the shorter past tenses, or present tense when describing ongoing action. I tried to change as little as possible, to keep your style. I couldnt post all of them because there's a limit of 5 but if you think they are useful i could just zip them together and send. Let me know.

in 15_Save_the_heir i get an error message
error wml: empty side= and no [filter_side] is deprecated
that may be due to running wesnoth 1.9.6 now (since update3).
Also that scenario seems to have some sides in it that take interminably long to process (as indicated by the coloured flags that have 1 or zero units on the screen).
Attachments
13t_Elvish_conference.diff
dialogue tweaks
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
14_Forest_fire.diff
dialogue tweaks
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
15_Save_the_heir.diff
dialogue tweaks
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
TEG-The_bridge_is_broken_replay.gz
replay showing warning message
(68.25 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
TEG-Lost_replay.gz
replay showing warning messages
(42.15 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
brunomatti

Post by brunomatti »

Hi!

Forgive me if this is no longer relevant information, but I was just playing this scenario on Ubuntu 10:04 (BfW 1.8, Dwarven Kingdom 0.1.0 -- I'm a little behind the times!), and I noticed a typo.

In the scenario 'lost', the troll whelp you find is being 'torchered' by the undead when he should be being 'tortured' by the undead. The former refers to some form of illumination, the latter to the inflicting of pain.

If you know about this already, then just carry on the good work. If this is new information, then carry on the good work! It's a nice scenario.

Cheers.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

tr0ll wrote:Thanks it is working now!

(update)
In 06_The_great_gates
there are a bunch of villages labeled "reserved" and owned by elves. If they are labeled with elvish names the player should get the idea not to capture them, but if the player doesnt go by the spirit of the agreement to help the elves they deserve to have the elves change sides. While waiting to finish off the spider i sent a couple spare units to grab all the non-labeled villages from the elves hehehe
Guess you missed the point. Those villages are not allowed to be captured by the human player since the ai is tuned to heal in them.
(update3)
Please find attached some suggestions for clearer and more natural english dialogue. In most cases i think the sentences read more smoothly if verbs are changed to the shorter past tenses, or present tense when describing ongoing action. I tried to change as little as possible, to keep your style. I couldnt post all of them because there's a limit of 5 but if you think they are useful i could just zip them together and send. Let me know.
The dialog in the later scenarios (>=8) has never been rewritten by anyone. I'm no native English speaker, so go ahead if you want - thanks. Will look into it.
brunomatti wrote: In the scenario 'lost', the troll whelp you find is being 'torchered' by the undead when he should be being 'tortured' by the undead. The former refers to some form of illumination, the latter to the inflicting of pain.
Well, why shouldn't he be tortured by torchering ? :P Anyway thanks, I fixed it obviously since then.
It seems I tend to fall for phonetic similarities, I also write "save" instead of "safe". ;)
projects (BfW 1.12):
brunomatti

Post by brunomatti »

I thought you'd have caught it by now. The perils of using an out-of-date build! I'm too complacent to update it though ;-)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Anonymissimus wrote: Guess you missed the point. Those villages are not allowed to be captured by the human player since the ai is tuned to heal in them.
Yes it wasnt clear to me. However i like rules demonstrated in the context of the scenario rather than imposed by blunt and arbitrary fiat. It is about ambiance: the feeling of being immersed in the campaign is a bit lower when i see words such as "reserved".

Please find attached a few more suggested dialog edits.

Btw i am really looking forward to more scenarios in this campaign, i find the story and characters quite compelling. It is great to see the gaps in Wesnoth history filled in.
Attachments
12_Under_pressure.diff
dialog tweaks
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
19_Prison.diff
dialog tweaks
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
18_The_investigation.diff
dialog tweaks
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
17_Return.diff
dialog tweaks
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
16_Ferry_crossing.diff
dialog tweaks
(956 Bytes) Downloaded 434 times
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

tr0ll:
Worked in your dialog tweaks. On the server.
And thanks.
projects (BfW 1.12):
lampslave

Post by lampslave »

Can i get the .pot file? I want translate DK into russian language. I can't generate it by wmlxgettext, but i use this .sh script:

Code: Select all

find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep -h -o "=_\".*\"" >> wesnoth-Dwarven_Kingdom.po {} \;
find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep -h -o "= _ \".*\"" >> wesnoth-Dwarven_Kingdom.po {} \;
sed -i -e 's/^=_/msgid /g' -e 's/^= _/msgid/g' -e 's/$/\nmsgstr \"\"\n/g' wesnoth-Dwarven_Kingdom.po
I translated 3 first missions, my work in attach.

For russians: В приложении частичный перевод первых трёх миссий кампании. Фразы, за неимением .pot файла, надёрганы вручную, скриптом (см. выше). Хотелось бы получить полный .pot файл, чтобы иметь возможность перевести всё.
Attachments
wesnoth-Dwarven_Kingdom.po
(84.41 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Ok didnt read the topic, there are my suggestions from playthrough:

All scenarios:
Why there are not more keeps? You have to recruit from the start and then just move your units for, like, 4 turns to the action = boredom. Two-three small keeps in the center of the maps would solve this problem.
lol i like it when hamel jumps up when he kills something.
Potionsmith lore inconsistency: why he has marksman bolas? in description there is written potion smith is skilled in herbalism but in caves there arent many herbs are they?

Intro:
The dialogue is kinda weak. "See you in a few years." <- just like that?

Scenario 1:
Nice idea with partially shrouded map.

Scenario 2:
Why do I own those 4 villages at the start?
Why that orcish archer cares for his cousin? Its orcs, probably he doesnt even know his mother. Besides, this trope ("you killed my cousin/brother/whoever /previous leader player has killed/") is used everywhere. Cmon, why use it anymore?
All my units have only 4mp and are playing on large map.
The Usual monster is very harmful to the immersion.
So Clarissa was captured by orc for a few months? How come she is totally... unused? :twisted:

Scenario 3:
The way in which you acquire scouts and gryphon rider is very cheap and unbelieveable

Thats all I played.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

lampslave: Thanks, but...I don't want a translation (yet) since it doesn't make much sense. First, the campaign is unfinished. Second, the dialogs might get rewritten further. Third, if a translation weill be made it will happen with the way it's supposed to (wescamp etc). And fourth, afaik this way of translating UMC is currently broken due to their scripts.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Helaron

Post by Helaron »

There is a problem with the scenario "Lost". When i find Krolock i get the following message after the dialogue appeared:

<invalid WML found> [teg_modify_unit] not supported

When i've killed the Undead, Krolock is still shown in his cage, his Troll friends show up, i get the dialogue telling me they're my friends now and then they attack and kill Dulatus and Pelcatlus. Which makes it impossible to finish this scenario. I'm using BfW 1.9.9 (OS is Windows 7) and downloaded the campaign three days ago from the add-on server.