The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

homunculus

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by homunculus »

the version was 1.9.2, which is supposed to behave strange sometimes (and it sometimes does).
i think i should just make it a higher priority to copy the stderr whenever such things occur.

as for the turn limit when freeing the prisoners, my best guess is that you can write warnings about it as much as you like, players will treat them as flavor and ignore them.
which, of course, might lead to a restart.
but on the positive side, when doing it the second time the player already "magically" knows which rooms just contain monsters without doing anything useful, so the scenario can be completed even faster : )

the alchemists are one of the prominent units in this campaign, while in THoT the witness was more like an exotic annoyance.
until i payed enough attention to notice the 'slow' special, that is.
"somehow", most of the units i recruited for the first fight were alchemists.
lol, i am surprised that the zombies and necromancers (who are imho underpowered) do not have a 'rigor mortis' slow attack, but dwarfs (who imho are tough and hit hard already) are suddenly using a hunting weapon of indigenous americans (as wikipedia says, although i think i remember reading something about bolas used in africa, but that was long ago).
shackles might not be a very dwarfish solution, also.
if they are meant to be a nerfed version of runesmiths, maybe some cold attack related to tempering steel, though that might be a more runesmith like magic thing.
ok, actually i don't have a good suggestion for dwarfs with slow, so i am probably not saying anything more constructive than some brainstorming here, and i don't know how much interested you are in that issue.
btw is there a living runesmith in any campaign now?

and, something else that i was surprised about was that the mentor was a guard rather than a scout (which is, of course, a matter of interpreting the situation).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

homunculus wrote:as for the turn limit when freeing the prisoners, my best guess is that you can write warnings about it as much as you like, players will treat them as flavor and ignore them.
which, of course, might lead to a restart.
Putting hints is common habit in many campaigns, if players ignore them it really isn't my fault then.
but on the positive side, when doing it the second time the player already "magically" knows which rooms just contain monsters without doing anything useful, so the scenario can be completed even faster : )
There's large randomization envolved (number, type, positions) though it may be the same when restarted from a too recent save.
btw is there a living runesmith in any campaign now?
Play something from before Thursagan's death or after THoT. (e.g. Sceptre of fire, Sojournings of Grog, Founding of Borstep)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
dthurston

Terrain issues

Post by dthurston »

I noticed that some of the terrain in "Up the mountains" seemed to be off. Specifically, most hexes that appear on-screen to be hill-forest combos appear to only act as forests, with no hills. Of course this makes the dwarves much more vulnerable.

This is in 1.9.2.
homunculus

Re: Terrain issues

Post by homunculus »

dthurston wrote:I noticed that some of the terrain in "Up the mountains" seemed to be off. Specifically, most hexes that appear on-screen to be hill-forest combos appear to only act as forests, with no hills. Of course this makes the dwarves much more vulnerable.

This is in 1.9.2.
that terrain issue is interesting, but it does not seem to be a problem related to this particular campaign. maybe you would like to post it in tech support?
tried it bit in my own campaign:
Spoiler:
getting the hang of 1.9 issues more and more myself, too ; )
(edit: ok, i'll post it myself, then, as suggested below)

ok, i thought i'd not burden our dear campaign author with further nitpicks, but now that i am at it, maybe just a few.
Anonymissimus wrote:[...]It's low damage if you compare this to other ranged attacks;[...]
somehow i used the bolas a lot for damage, and even against archers because of the reliable slow, and was so much satisfied with the results that i felt like i was cheating.
Anonymissimus wrote:[...]Putting hints is common habit in many campaigns, if players ignore them it really isn't my fault then.[...]
you cruel heartless thing!
no mercy at all for the annoyingly arrogant players who think they are smart when they don't panic at the hints and take their time to heal up.
the end part of the map seems to be without many side doors, maybe a die event of some specific door could trigger the execution more smoothly for the more smartass players?
might make sense, as the closer you are the better you are heard.

and of course there could be more nitpicks, like unit ending turn on altar gets killed, and why not lintanir forest and if there are plans to relocate kal kartha (sp?), etc, but i know from own experience how easy it is to come up with 200 issues in campaign todo list.
Last edited by homunculus on December 17th, 2010, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

ok, someone of you reports the forested hills terrain core bug please
maybe a die event of some specific door could trigger the execution more smoothly for the more smartass players?
might make sense, as the closer you are the better you are heard
There is already such an event (alternative triggerer)...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

In "Lost", there seem to be two spawning areas for undead, close to the natural path to the troll outpost. One of my groups of trolls had gotten right next to one of those areas when they spawned, leading to a fair bit of surprise. (It would have been worse if I had more wounded units.) This seems like poor design. Maybe have the undead spawn in a side passage?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i gave up after losing all my units (except the two who were called away to a conference) in the big cavern deep underground where the obelisks spawn undead. probably with more than one white cleric i could have survived.
dthurston

Troll Frost Wizard

Post by dthurston »

The troll frost wizard seems to only require 40XP for an AMLA, which seems obviously wrong.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

dthurston wrote:The troll frost wizard seems to only require 40XP for an AMLA, which seems obviously wrong.
Thanks, fixed.
projects (BfW 1.12):
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I finally tried your campaign. I have the newest version. When I finished 03_Breakthrough, I got this error:
stderr.txt wrote:20101222 15:48:15 warning engine: recall list is empty when trying to recall!
player_id: human_player side: 1
20101222 15:48:15 warning engine: recall list is empty when trying to recall!
player_id: Boomtshak side: 2
20101222 16:03:53 warning engine: recall list is empty when trying to recall!
player_id: Woomtshak side: 2
player_id: Gogdush side: 3
player_id: side: 4
Also, I got many unhandled events (I assume the slew of fire_events you use) and missed WML messages (i've seen all the comments :lol2: ). Don't know what's up here.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thanks but all of these are probably unrelated to the campaign. The "recall list is empty" are.
projects (BfW 1.12):
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Anonymissimus wrote:Thanks but all of these are probably unrelated to the campaign.
They say "Gogdush: side 3, Woomtshak: side2" which is your campaign. Also, (I forgot to mention this very important fact :doh: ) as soon as I finished the scenario Wesnoth crashed, and those were the only errors I got in the stderr.txt file.

EDIT: Here are all the relevant save files. The end of the one that crashed, the replay of the one that crashed, and the beginning of the next one (which I never even saw).
Attachments
TEG-Up_the_mountain.gz
Start of Next Scenario.
(10.04 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
TEG-Breakthrough_replay.gz
Replay of Crashed Scenario.
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
TEG-Breakthrough-Auto-Save16.gz
End of Crashed Scenario.
(46.35 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thanks; can't reproduce a crash...
bigkahuna wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:Thanks but all of these are probably unrelated to the campaign.
They say "Gogdush: side 3, Woomtshak: side2" which is your campaign. Also, (I forgot to mention this very important fact :doh: ) as soon as I finished the scenario Wesnoth crashed, and those were the only errors I got in the stderr.txt file.
Yes and you'll find them analogically in lots of mainline campaigns too.
projects (BfW 1.12):
sneef

Post by sneef »

Just finished this on 1.9.4 -- very nice campaign.

A couple of minor things -- there were a variety of minor WML errors playing through due to 1.9.4 being more recent than the development version. I don't recall all the affected scenarios although one was the naval transport scenario and was related to ship attacks.

Also, the burning forest scenario was interesting although very easy. One suggestion might be to add a small damage if the units starts its turn next to a fire hex, perhaps proportional to the units fire resistance (since woses are involved...).
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Insta-kill was the WML-warning one you encountered. I recall it now.