The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.11/1.12

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
tommyrobust
Posts: 7
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:38 am

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.8.x)

Post by tommyrobust » July 30th, 2010, 2:32 am

Anonymissimus wrote:It's the brazier in the forge room...a replacement for the coal stove of forges since there's no such image... Any suggestions to give better hints ?

i went to the forge room but theres no hint or any reaction....is there any way to get the source of fire?

tommyrobust
Posts: 7
Joined: July 28th, 2010, 1:38 am

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.8.x)

Post by tommyrobust » July 30th, 2010, 2:52 am

tommyrobust wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:It's the brazier in the forge room...a replacement for the coal stove of forges since there's no such image... Any suggestions to give better hints ?

i went to the forge room but theres no hint or any reaction....is there any way to get the source of fire?

Thanks Anonymissimus! i got the answer...but to be continued :)

chak_abhi
Posts: 327
Joined: June 24th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.8.x)

Post by chak_abhi » August 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm

I've found this campaign quite nice until the survival scenario "Under pressure".It is quite easy to win,i.e saving Hamel and Dulatus is not difficult,but I always lose quite a few important units like the troll shamans and the dwarvish lords.Is there a way to get through this scenario with minimum losses?
I'm posting an autosave of turn 1.Can anyone please help?(I use Wesnoth 1.8.4)
Attachments
DK-Under_pressure-Auto-Save1.gz
(58.68 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.8.x)

Post by Anonymissimus » August 21st, 2010, 6:08 pm

Well, yes, I loose lots of good units too. It's a scenario made to shrink your gold and army. There are lots of scenarios where you can acquire much experience. Previously people said that it was so easy and that their army is so powerful...here you have...but I may reduce the enemy numbers a bit again...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

User avatar
octalot
Developer
Posts: 415
Joined: July 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.8.x)

Post by octalot » August 22nd, 2010, 10:04 am

I've also been failing to get though Under Pressure without a lot of losses, and assuming that I was playing it wrong.
Please add a narrator message that heavy losses are expected, given how different it is from the campaign so far. I'd been expecting that losing so many units would make the later scenarios impossible.

In Under Pressure's intro: "Yet he didn't spoke about it" - should be "speak".

Thanks for the campaign, it's been good fun to play so far.
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Earth's Gut (formerly Dwarven Kingdom)

Post by Anonymissimus » September 6th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I've updated to 1.9 and uploaded. The 1.8 branch will only be bugfixed from now on.
Campaign name changed to (Deep into) The Earth's Gut(s): It was suggested in this thread quite some time ago. I like this "crude" name and it reflects especially the scenarios that I still plan; the old name was nothing more than a "working title". Hardly anything changed as far as gameplay goes, lots of internal adaptions to 1.9 however.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

User avatar
boru
Posts: 788
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm

Re: The Earth's Gut (formerly Dwarven Kingdom)

Post by boru » September 6th, 2010, 6:13 pm

I'd suggest Earth's Gut. It's much simpler.

I always liked this campaign but never liked the title. Now I like both. :)
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.

Twenty-four
Posts: 18
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Twenty-four » September 12th, 2010, 8:41 am

I'm playing it on easy, on a mac, wesnoth 1.9.
First thing: Great campaign, really something special with great ideas behind and a cool story.
But I have one problem: In under pressure, I can't win. The objective is to survive for 6 turns, but after 10 turns, still nothing is happening. Do I have to destroy all these stones? Or what would I have to do?

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus » September 12th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks.
Sounds clearly like a bug, there is a cutscene supposed to happen at the start of turn 7. Please attach a start-of-scenario-save for 12_Under_pressure.cfg.

I guess it works to use
:debug
:n
commands to go to the next scenario for now.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

Twenty-four
Posts: 18
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Twenty-four » September 12th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the quick response and the help!

Here is the saved file. I hope it's the right one...

Edit:
Hmm... I have a problem. When I press f, then :debug, there is a message on the top:
<fai> Error while parsing formula: :debug
<fai> Unrecognized token
Attachments
teg-Under_pressure.gz
(26.33 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus » September 12th, 2010, 5:26 pm

Yes it's right.
You aren't supposed to press f. : brings up the command line, then debug to enable the n command, : again and then n.

EDIT
I've uploaded an updated version which shouldn't have this problem, there are several places where there were affects, some in later scenarios so you'd need to skip them too.
(It is this bug: http://gna.org/bugs/?16692)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

User avatar
Reval
Posts: 144
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Reval » October 15th, 2010, 12:54 pm

The Earth's Gut/Dwarven Kingdom is clearly one of the best campaigns I've seen. Story telling, innovation, refinedness and challenge have a high standard.
Actually, I played it in 1.8 and was sad that it did not continue after the investigation. Noticing that in 1.9 the next map was included, I modified the last savegame from 1.8s investigation (renaming scenario name - that is why I realy didn't like the name change) so that it would run on the 1.9 version, but you probably know that the cut scene before prison starts with messages like "27, 48", "Hamel", "Aiglathing", "Dwarfisch Figther -21", "Dwarfisch Thunderer-31" and so forth until the prison starts with Hamel and two completly passive enemeys only. So something got messed up in the scenario head.
Since I enyoed the campaign, I even played it from the beginning with 1.9 but logically with the same result.
I realy look forward to the rest of the campaign, but so long, some remarks:

Given the high standard of the campaign, I find the introduction not quite adequate: It looks as if the orcs will invade Knalga every second (hearing the fighting and the dieing of the messanger) and Hamels quest is like exodus while Knalga is given up. I would like it better if the situation is discribed as stable while the dwarf realize that on THE LONG RUN, they will run out of resources. Only in this way, it makes sense to send Hamel on such a LONG mission and only in this way it makes sense that Hamel sends Defaldor and Konrad to the Knalga dwarfs.
This could e.g. be acomplished by including a missionbefore the introduction, that takes place outside the gates of Knalga.

One bug I noticed: In Ferry crossing, it can indeed happen that Elara's ship get sunken without the mission failing.

For Under Pressure: One of the more challinging scenarios indeed. Though it is doable with minimal losses (see atached replay - only being to greedy concerning Hamels next level up cause an unavoidable death) with frequent loading (as alwas given the nature of the game), I found it indeed a little unfair that the undead spawn an can move in the same round. Thus it is possible that you completly cleared an area but given that you don't know what enemy spawns next, you cannot prepare. So maybe the only balancing this mission needs is just to make the undead spawn with zero move points like when you recall your own troops.

Given my nature that I cannot resist so much experience runing around, I found save the heir more challenging than under pressure (even considering that I did send at least one mage in the wrong direction, see second replay). But I guess it is the first scenario I have seen where defeat of an enemy is impossible without the trick that the leader "escapes" if you kill him.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Attachments
teg-Save_the_heir_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
Replay of Save the heir
(91.07 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
teg-Under_pressure_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
Replay of Under pressure
(73.05 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus » October 15th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Thanks.
Reval wrote:Actually, I played it in 1.8 and was sad that it did not continue after the investigation. Noticing that in 1.9 the next map was included, I modified the last savegame from 1.8s investigation (renaming scenario name - that is why I realy didn't like the name change) so that it would run on the 1.9 version, but you probably know that the cut scene before prison starts with messages like "27, 48", "Hamel", "Aiglathing", "Dwarfisch Figther -21", "Dwarfisch Thunderer-31" and so forth until the prison starts with Hamel and two completly passive enemeys only. So something got messed up in the scenario head.
No, that scenario isn't ready...forgot to disable it...
Savegames from 1.8 may be usable by renaming the "campaign id" in the savegames. It somehow worked for me. In addition to the changes in the campaign, there are the ones in the wesnoth engine so not sure how far it will break. Probably more and more with higher 1.9.x version.
Reval wrote:Given the high standard of the campaign, I find the introduction not quite adequate: It looks as if the orcs will invade Knalga every second (hearing the fighting and the dieing of the messanger) and Hamels quest is like exodus while Knalga is given up. I would like it better if the situation is discribed as stable while the dwarf realize that on THE LONG RUN, they will run out of resources. Only in this way, it makes sense to send Hamel on such a LONG mission and only in this way it makes sense that Hamel sends Defaldor and Konrad to the Knalga dwarfs.
This could e.g. be acomplished by including a missionbefore the introduction, that takes place outside the gates of Knalga.
Hm, in my opinion the action and dialog is really already this way - maybe you've clicked too quickly through it ? It's also told that Relgorn's men defeat those orcs for now...
Reval wrote:One bug I noticed: In Ferry crossing, it can indeed happen that Elara's ship get sunken without the mission failing
Can you give a replay/savegame/steps how to reproduce ? It worked when I tested it and it hasn't been changed since.
Reval wrote:Given my nature that I cannot resist so much experience runing around, I found save the heir more challenging than under pressure (even considering that I did send at least one mage in the wrong direction, see second replay). But I guess it is the first scenario I have seen where defeat of an enemy is impossible without the trick that the leader "escapes" if you kill him.
:lol2:
Thanks for trying, I did not. He's saved to appear again in a later scenario where you'll have the chance to kill him.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

User avatar
Reval
Posts: 144
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Reval » October 15th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Anonymissimus wrote:
Reval wrote:Given my nature that I cannot resist so much experience runing around, I found save the heir more challenging than under pressure (even considering that I did send at least one mage in the wrong direction, see second replay). But I guess it is the first scenario I have seen where defeat of an enemy is impossible without the trick that the leader "escapes" if you kill him.
:lol2:
Thanks for trying, I did not. He's saved to appear again in a later scenario where you'll have the chance to kill him.
Yeah! :wink:

Attached you find a savegame from Ferry Crossing, one where Elara is still alive and canbe killed by the opponent, the other in the next round where she isn't anymore.

Concerning the begining: Don't you think it is "threatening" if the enemy is directly in front of the door to the throne room?
Well, maybe it is just me :-)
Attachments
teg-Ferry_crossing_Runde_14.gz
Elara alive
(100.39 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
teg-Ferry_crossing-Autospeichern15.gz
Elara dead
(99.59 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer
Posts: 2460
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Earth's Gut (BfW 1.9, formerly "Dwarven Kingdom")

Post by Anonymissimus » October 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Reval wrote:Attached you find a savegame from Ferry Crossing, one where Elara is still alive and canbe killed by the opponent, the other in the next round where she isn't anymore.
Works for me. Her last breath event fires when I let her get killed, ending the scenario...
Concerning the begining: Don't you think it is "threatening" if the enemy is directly in front of the door to the throne room?
Well, maybe it is just me :-)
Yes, and the dialog reacts appropiately. It's only a patrol (for then)...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign

Post Reply