The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.0 on its way)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

The same answer applies to you. I'm using a certain feature in [unstore_unit] that checks if a terrain is passable, and is available only in later versions. The fix is to update BfW to 1.9.7.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

I will as soon as I can, but downloading a 300MB program on a mobile broadband connection isn't easy :) How do I solve the boat problem?

Thanks,
'Professor Max'
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

The boat problem is a son of the new behaviour of [unstore_unit]. Before (on 1.9.3) it unstored units everywhere, and I solved it (at the time) using a Lua custom tag called [nearest_hex]. As you can see here:
check_passability: (Version 1.9 and later only) (boolean yes|no, default yes): If yes, checks for terrain passability when placing the unit. This key has no effect if find_vacant=no (no check performed then). Before 1.9 this key is always "no".
When check_passability was added, [nearest_hex] lost its usefulness (at least in my case), so I removed it. The problem cannot be solved, as it will require adding back old code that in newer Wesnoth versions is simply unuseful. :(
As for the download speed: did you tried changing the mirror used by Sourceforge?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Thanks, I didn't quite understand your first reply, I thought that you were still refering to the new terrain :)

The downloading problem is more about bandwidth than speed, though it would still take about three hours. I just have to wait until I can connect over WIFI, which might be tomorow.

Thanks again,
'Professor Max'

kaskade

Post by kaskade »

I thank you, Elvish Hunter, your hint worked.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Played 1.9.7, medium difficulty. The Scenario "Seige Perilous", nothing happens on turns 16, 17, 18 vis a vis a tunnel opening. Is there a bug?
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

You have to hold the village for the number of turns from first sighting the trolls, not from the start of the scenario. I forget how many turns that is on medium.

Eros

Post by Eros »

Indeed.......
My apologies Elvish for my disappearance but university, church, cu, four ancient languages and a few minor other issues have kept me very busy. Sorry :(
When I have time I'll play the campaign through. :)
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my mobile device.
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thank you, professor_max, for answering faster than me! :wink:
Eros wrote:My apologies Elvish for my disappearance but university, church, cu, four ancient languages and a few minor other issues have kept me very busy. Sorry :(
Hi Eros! It's nice to see you back!
Eros wrote:When I have time I'll play the campaign through. :)
Don't rush. :)
While you're here, I have two questions for you:
- When you start the Prologue, I modified the Holy Water dialog to use Lua and GUI WML. Do you like it?
- Here there is a sprite for a new Elvish unit, called Elvish Vanquisher. I thought of recolouring it and add it as an alternate advancement for the Desert Hero. It isn't easy, because of the many shades of green used, but... can I go ahead?
jsacton

Post by jsacton »

Hello there. Excellent campaign, just finished part 1 (playing in 1.8.5) and I have a question about part 2.

Will I be getting able to get all of my units back later on? At the moment I can't recall anything (including my 5 great trolls and 3 Boulder Lobbers) and was wondering if this is the same throughout the rest of the campaign (sorry if this was already answered, I spent 10 minutes searching through the thread before I decided to just ask)
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Unless Elvish_Hunter has changed the entire plot, yes. It says in the dialogue that the council decided that the dwarvish threat was less, so Grog would take the veterans North , and Zurg would go South. You get all of the units in the next scenario.

May the force be with you,
'Professor Max'

Eros

Post by Eros »

Hi Elvish,

The vanquisher is amazing. :)

Eros
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ok. I'll add it and upload a new version as soon as I can :)
EDIT: I decided to upload the new version after 1.9.9. is released, as it contains a track (Battle Epic) that I'm using (it's Wesnoth Score, that I'll be able to remove...)

EDIT2: Version 2.10.17 is on the 1.9 server. Enjoy playtesting the new Desert Vanquisher, made by Thand and recoloured by me! :wink:
Evander

Post by Evander »

Played and finished this campaign some time ago.

So for feedback:
- Grog appears to be thicker than he was in Under the Burning Sun
- some maps, especially final scenario could use re-designing
- placing Zhul and that elvish prowler (a heroes from UtBS) as regular units in final scenario gets them killed. it is pretty unrewarding for those who completed UtBS - they should be placed as guardians next to Quenoth elves keep
- a Sceptre of Fire in a lair?
- after killing the dragon in final scenario there are little dialogues or story line to somewhat reward player for completing the campaign. all those heroes should like say something after the battle ends
- difficulty pretty uneven in some battles

+ liked the idea with Grog as a hero and troll shamans upgrading to war banners
+ ogres and gryphons a nice bonus, but when fighting dwarven artificers it is easy to loose your loyal ogre and gryphon
+ story line is pretty decent (hello Elyssa) but farewell dialogues on Quenoth islands could use some more emotions :)
+ can't remember any serious issues that would interfere with gameplay

To sum it up, campaign is quite nice, but it feels like it is missing something - it is difficult to say what exactly

Overall, it's 7.5/10 but goes to 8/10 for having Grog and Elyssa. Definitely worth playing :eng:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Evander, thanks for your feedback. Right now I cannot answer in detail, but soon I will. :)
Version 2.10.18 is on the 1.9 add-ons server. Due to the removal of Khalifate faction from core, I had to add this faction inside the campaign. For this reason, as well as using the {IS_LAST_SCENARIO} macro, the campaign works only with Wesnoth 1.9.10 - 1.10 beta1.

EDIT: about your feedback:
Evander wrote:- Grog appears to be thicker than he was in Under the Burning Sun
That was a deliberate design choice.
Evander wrote:- some maps, especially final scenario could use re-designing
I'm open to suggestions and contibutions on that matter. What do you think that should be changed? Or, even better, do you have an alternate map available for a certain scenario?
Evander wrote:- placing Zhul and that elvish prowler (a heroes from UtBS) as regular units in final scenario gets them killed. it is pretty unrewarding for those who completed UtBS - they should be placed as guardians next to Quenoth elves keep
Hint: they have an extremely low chance to be hit.
Evander wrote:- a Sceptre of Fire in a lair?
Well, the Dragon is keeping it. Where should it be placed, if not in his lair?
Evander wrote:- after killing the dragon in final scenario there are little dialogues or story line to somewhat reward player for completing the campaign. all those heroes should like say something after the battle ends
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Daravel had the task to rewrite the dialogues, but so far he never found the time to work on the last scenarios... Do you want to give it a try on this task?
Evander wrote:- difficulty pretty uneven in some battles
A common problem in long campaigns. But again, I'm open to suggestions to make them easier or harder. :)
Evander wrote:+ liked the idea with Grog as a hero and troll shamans upgrading to war banners
+ ogres and gryphons a nice bonus, but when fighting dwarven artificers it is easy to loose your loyal ogre and gryphon
+ story line is pretty decent (hello Elyssa) but farewell dialogues on Quenoth islands could use some more emotions :)
+ can't remember any serious issues that would interfere with gameplay

To sum it up, campaign is quite nice, but it feels like it is missing something - it is difficult to say what exactly

Overall, it's 7.5/10 but goes to 8/10 for having Grog and Elyssa. Definitely worth playing :eng:
Thanks for these positive comments! :D By the way, did you choose to go for the Great Mage or Gold Mage path?