The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (1.6)

Post by StandYourGround »

I'm using SOG 1.03 on Wesnoth 1.6.4. On Scenario 2, I get none of my loyal elves.
I will now resume lurking silently.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

same thing, after the update the scenarios work again, but the elves don't pass onto the second scenario anymore
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Eros

Post by Eros »

Sorry: we fixed 1.0.1 with the wrong version. Should be no more problems. We have a portrait for Krunk now as well (from the troll shaman portrait). version 2 is on its way!
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

none of the elves are loyal for me, and you should have an explanation for Elyssa's good movement in cave and sand, and you should say where she got the astral blade ( it seemed to me as if she got it from the bandit, but because of a glitch had it from the start by mistake)
Eros

Post by Eros »

The elves arent meant to be loyal but as you mention it the ogre and gryphon are.

The astral blade is a glitch due to the way i built the debug code. I wont fix it until i have finished balancing the "A" release.

Her good movement is because she has lots of practice and because shes, well, awesome!
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Eros

PART 2 for TSoG

Post by Eros »

Hi all: BIG RELEASE.

We have released the second part of sojournings of Grog.
Spoiler:
Any comments please contact me.
Eros

Post by Eros »

HELP WANTED

These are the areas we would like help;
- the story doesn't quite hang yet but it will do so.
- We want advice on how to change the text.
- Any bugs lurking around (There's a free one in "Waves and Waves").
- Names for everything. The dragon and the lich are named after Egyptian gods but could be renamed.
- Ideas to improve scenarios (There is too much defensive fighting).
- We need images for the story bits like the one for "The Homecoming".
- We want better names for the scenarios (we would have called the "deep levels" "out of the frying pan" if someone hadnt got there first.) clever names are ideal.
- balancing comments replays etc.
- We want portraits for the free elves. Can anyone recolour some of the standard ones?
- We want a unique portrait for Krunk.
- most of the scenarios are not as we would like them.
- We have some free stuff in mind but we want to spice things up a bit. Any lines that you could give to a character to make him laugh?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Eros wrote:HELP WANTED

These are the areas we would like help;
- Any bugs lurking around (There's a free one in "Waves and Waves").
Hi Eros and Marz/Deusite,
I played your campaign and also I played and won UTBS, so I have a suggestion and a bug report for you, please let me know what do you think about them.
- Please give the Quick trait to the Desert Captain, Fighter and Druid that we get in 1st scenario. They have serious problems when moving in caves, hills and mountains, compared with the two Archers and the Hunter. Yes, there is a ring of speed in one scenario (but it's supposed to be taken by Elyssa, as in A6-Every_Troll_To_Do_His_Duty.cfg you wrote: "#give it to elyssa you spoons!"), and when the Druid levels she gets 6 MP, but this means that at least one elf (or two if Elyssa takes the ring) is extremely slow.
- in S4-Conclusion.cfg you wrote:

Code: Select all

#is Irdya the right word? (Eros)
Not a suggestion, but a confirmation: yes, Irdya is the right word.
- in B7-Dragonbane.cfg you wrote:
"NOTE: There is a scenario missing here during the course of which messengers were sent to Kaleh for help."
A question: will you insert the missing scenario and, if yes, when?
And now, the bug report:
- Every Troll to do his duty: when I killed the Orc leader, and he dropped the ring of speed (I played this scenario in the first version, when it gived only 1 extra MP instead of 2 MP. Now I used the debug console and the problem is still here), I got the "Do you want this unit to pick the item" message displayed every time that I moved a unit, until I picked it. Choosing Yes when the unit is not on the ring causes that the unit picks the ring, but it won't be removed and it stays here as decoration. You can reproduce the bug by using the debug console and summoning 6 Troll Wizards around an orcish leader, then roast him and you'll see.
- Waves and Waves: the scenario has no time of day, the {TWO_SUNS_DEFAULT_SCHEDULE} command is missing. :eng:
- The carryover system doesn't work: in every scenario you wrote: "For development reasons no gold will be carried over to the next scenario", but in every scenario I get 100% of gold carried over PLUS the starting gold. :mrgreen:
- Defense: I recalled all my elves and veterans until I ran out of gold. Elves handled pretty well drakes (bows and especially holy water... a good reason to not use hack start), while trolls and Elyssa kept orcs away. I wasn't able to avoid self-destroying of Hannibal, (by the way, Hazdrubal refused to recruit more than one castle until I left free the central keep) and I managed to resist until end of turns. Turn 17: message "You've been defeated". You wrote

[event]
	name=time out
but is

[event]
	name=time over
I patched my savegame this way, and then I advanced to Dragonbane. :geek:
- Dragonbane: in Defense Hannibal was killed, but who is the human leader in Dragonbane? Hannibal! (Maybe changing the General's name is a solution?) :?
Interesting the start with all these battle cries, it reminded me the final scenario of Northern Rebirth but, if in NR I managed to save Sisal using two castles of Drake Gliders and one of Gryphons, I didn't know that, in the meantime, Kaleh, Nym, Zhul, Esanoo and all the mermen developed "suicidal tendencies". :shock: So Kaleh recruited only one castle of units and then charged, finishing killed by drakes. :x See the replays of Defense and Dragonbane (not one, but two attempts!), and believe it.
To solve the problem I propose a drastic solution: give the player control on Kaleh's, Melusand's and Hannibal's sides, like in NR. :augh:
I'm on Windows XP SP3 with Wesnoth 1.6.5, but I played the version 1.0.0 of the campaign on 1.6.4 and 2.0.1 on Wesnoth 1.6.5.
I hope that this message will help you in making a very good campaign like this even better.
Attachments
TSoG-Dragonbane_replay_1.gz
(79.64 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
TSoG-Dragonbane_replay.gz
(74.37 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
TSoG-Defense_replay.gz
(105.38 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Eros

Post by Eros »

Thanks a lot. Your comments are really helpful
Please give the Quick trait to the Desert Captain, Fighter and Druid that we get in 1st scenario
Yes the quick trait is in the offing (It is on the rather nebulous todo list on a sheet of paper stuck inside a maths textbook in my bedroom)
Irdya is the right word
Thanks
will you insert the missing scenario and, if yes, when?
Soon. We wanted feedback, as we want to make it a not so "standard" scenario.
We are thinking it is going to involve woods and woses (unfriendly) but if you have any better ideas please say.

We also intend to change A3 (first contact) so when killed your units are taken prisoner and (with some rather buggy WML) you can release them if you kill the killer
Every Troll to do his duty: when I killed the Orc leader, and he dropped the ring of speed (I played this scenario in the first version, when it gived only 1 extra MP instead of 2 MP. Now I used the debug console and the problem is still here), I got the "Do you want this unit to pick the item" message displayed every time that I moved a unit, until I picked it. Choosing Yes when the unit is not on the ring causes that the unit picks the ring, but it won't be removed and it stays here as decoration. You can reproduce the bug by using the debug console and summoning 6 Troll Wizards around an orcish leader, then roast him and you'll see.
Has it come back again? probably using the wrong version of the items file. Will fix. Interestingly was 1 extra mp better or not?
Waves and Waves: the scenario has no time of day, the {TWO_SUNS_DEFAULT_SCHEDULE} command is missing
Excellent I shall rant at mars for that! 8)
The carryover system doesn't work: in every scenario you wrote: "For development reasons no gold will be carried over to the next scenario", but in every scenario I get 100% of gold carried over PLUS the starting gold.
Whoops!
Defense: I recalled all my elves and veterans until I ran out of gold. Elves handled pretty well drakes (bows and especially holy water... a good reason to not use hack start), while trolls and Elyssa kept orcs away. I wasn't able to avoid self-destroying of Hannibal, (by the way, Hazdrubal refused to recruit more than one castle until I left free the central keep) and I managed to resist until end of turns. Turn 17: message "You've been defeated". You wrote
[event]
name=time out
but is
Code: [ Select all ]
[event]
name=time over
Will have a look now. We put it up in rather a rush.
Dragonbane: in Defense Hannibal was killed, but who is the human leader in Dragonbane? Hannibal! (Maybe changing the General's name is a solution?

Yes we will have something like the code for the elvish baddy in Son of the Black Eye

grouping = defensive
should do the job

Letting you control their sides has been sudgested. The reason i didn't do it was I found NR quite long. We were intending to give you the option at the beginning of the scenario

-We think that the second part is a bit samey especially B3 "The Rearguard". Any comments would be appreciated
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Eros wrote:Thanks a lot. Your comments are really helpful
Thanks to you, Eros.
Eros wrote:Yes the quick trait is in the offing (It is on the rather nebulous todo list on a sheet of paper stuck inside a maths textbook in my bedroom)
Remember that you can pile more than two traits on a unit: you can make these elves quick, strong and resilient. But you already know it...
Eros wrote:Interestingly was 1 extra mp better or not?
Needless to say, but 2 MP is always better than 1 MP! :D
Eros wrote:Quote:
will you insert the missing scenario and, if yes, when?

Soon. We wanted feedback, as we want to make it a not so "standard" scenario.
We are thinking it is going to involve woods and woses (unfriendly) but if you have any better ideas please say.
I have an half idea about this scenario: Grog is sending messengers to Kaleh. But, what are the most appropriate units available to Grog for doing this? Gryphons. So it could be a scenario where Jaash is leader, and can recruit only gryphons rider.
Considering that we are in a desert, I propose to insert also some Cactus Woses. Are you saying that there aren't Cactus Woses around? Well, let's create some! :idea: I have and idea for their stats: they're still lawful and regenerating, with less HP and lower resistances than normal Woses, but have 5 MP and good movement on sand. Also, their melee attack is weaker, but they can throw thorns (every good cactus has thorns...) as ranged attack. Is this a good idea?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I have an half idea about this scenario: Grog is sending messengers to Kaleh. But, what are the most appropriate units available to Grog for doing this? Gryphons. So it could be a scenario where Jaash is leader, and can recruit only gryphons rider.
Considering that we are in a desert, I propose to insert also some Cactus Woses. Are you saying that there aren't Cactus Woses around? Well, let's create some! I have and idea for their stats: they're still lawful and regenerating, with less HP and lower resistances than normal Woses, but have 5 MP and good movement on sand. Also, their melee attack is weaker, but they can throw thorns (every good cactus has thorns...) as ranged attack. Is this a good idea?
Yes that is a good idea. We originally were going to make the elves much more prominent players. I even went as far as to build various code for a C1 campaign to fit in between A4 and A7 for the elves only. We already have a semi-finalised B6 but I like the idea of having a load of Gryphons flying across a desert with cactus woses in. In the macros you will find code for a camouflage ability which hides you in desert. You could have a scenario a bit like a cross between "Outriding the outriders" and "Return to Kerlath". Lots of drake gliders following you.

As for stats for cactus woses I agree. Real cacti poison but slows would be appropriate under the circumstances. You could make one if you like and we would include it in acknowledgements. :) If you don't want to I will get the resident genius Eros to do it.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Eros

Post by Eros »

HI: new release. AGAIN! (2.1.1)

brief run through of new changes

fixed changes suggested by elvish hunter
-slow elves are now quick
-ring in A6 works
-carry over sorted
-added human control OPTION in B5 and B7 (as well as hopefully fixing the ai)
-recall carry as well
-orcs drakes and humans now maintain their identity throughout the campaign
-fixed no schedule in A4

big changes
-A3 now has a 'prisoners' system (incomplete)
-these are released in A7
-free white mage in A7 (and will be a repentant dwarf)
-added ghosts in A1 (disabled but you can get it easilt by de-commenting the choice box in S1)

Minor changes/bug-fixes
-firey talons in A7 now poison
-fixed bug in A5
-added talk macros so that all speech by unit and second_unit is filtered on race (A release only)
-map for A5 and A7 changed slightly
-at certain points in the campaign the ai recruits partly leveled units (stirring in the night in utbs style)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Deusite wrote:Yes that is a good idea.
I'm happy to see that you liked my idea. :D
Deusite wrote:I even went as far as to build various code for a C1 campaign to fit in between A4 and A7 for the elves only. We already have a semi-finalised B6
If you don't like wasting your B6 you can still create a fork. Anyway, after the gryphon messengers reach the Quenoth Isle, your C1 campaign will happen. It will be a one-scenario fork :wink:
Deusite wrote:Lots of drake gliders following you.
I smell roasted gryphons... :mrgreen:
Deusite wrote:As for stats for cactus woses I agree. Real cacti poison but slows would be appropriate under the circumstances. You could make one if you like and we would include it in acknowledgements.
I took the mainline Wose.cfg file and modified it (but not tested). See if you like it:

#textdomain wesnoth-units
[unit_type]
    id=Cactus Wose
    name= _ "Cactus Wose"
    race=wose
    #I removed all other references to actual Wose sprites: we need cactus sprites
    image="units/woses/wose.png"
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    ellipse="misc/ellipse"
    #somewhat weaker than normal Woses
    hitpoints=46
    movement_type=treefolk
    #they have lower resistances to impact and pierce
    #being adapted to the desert they have high resistances to fire and cold
    #they have the same resistances to blade and arcane of normal Woses
    [resistance]
        blade=100
        pierce=90
        impact=80
        fire=70
        cold=70
        arcane=130
    [/resistance]
    #they move faster and have good defense on sand
    #we need to decide if they forgot how to move in forest and, if yes, raise movement cost and lower defense in woods
    [movement_costs]
        sand=1
    [/movement_costs]
    [defense]
        sand=60
    [/defense]
    #a bit faster
    movement=5
    experience=40
    #Is level 1 a good choice or level 2 is better? If we choose level 2 we may raise experience and other stats
    level=1
    alignment=lawful
    #This until we decide if we need more levels and more sprites!
    advances_to=null
    {AMLA_DEFAULT}
    undead_variation=wose
    cost=20
    description= _ "Even under the deserts caused by the two suns, there is still some vegetation left to defend: cacti. Cactus Woses are former Woses that adapted themselves to this new shape to be the guardians of what once were beautiful forests. In addition, they gained the ability to throw thorns, that grow on their body, to their enemies, and learned how to hide in this harsh environment."+{SPECIAL_NOTES}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_CAMOUFLAGE}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_REGENERATES}
    usage=fighter
    die_sound=wose-die.ogg
    {DEFENSE_ANIM wose-hit.ogg }
    [abilities]
        {ABILITY_CAMOUFLAGE}
        {ABILITY_REGENERATES}
    [/abilities]
    [attack]
        #a bit weaker melee attack
        name=crush
        description=_"crush"
        icon=attacks/crush-wose.png
        type=impact
        range=melee
        damage=11
        number=2
    [/attack]
    [attack]
        #add magical/marksman/poison/slow or leave this attack as is?
        name=thorns
        description=_"thorns"
        icon=attacks/thorns.png
        type=pierce
        range=ranged
        damage=6
        number=3
    [/attack]
[/unit_type]
And, as a base for the new sprites, I found this cactus type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguaro. What do you think?
docrock

Post by docrock »

playing part1, current version on BfW 1.6.5
in "Homecoming" the naga did not spawn as expected when entering his home
also, Elyssa did trigger the event for the northern wall and then blasted it but when someone else neared it the event did not trigger and Elyssa therefore did not teleport there
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Eros

Post by Eros »

Will sort out the bugs mentioned by docrock.

I like the cactus wose idea a few suggestions though; 1 lower the number of the ranged attack to make it a bit more haphazard whether you are slowed (7-2 maybe) lower the strength of the melee (make them more of a pest than a real enemy?). I like the particular cactus idea as that is the "architypal" cactus. Lower their defenses in woods as well.

Let me clarify the scenario scene.

B5-defence
B6-unknown title (semi-complete)
C1-as an aside where the messengers are sent to Kaleh. (would only have this scenario if you still have gryphons alive) You would not get to recruit in this one just get given a set of free units (as in the last scenario of sof) I don't think even a gryphon could fly to Zocthanol so we would have them fly to a friendly human port further down the coast where they would take ship to Kaleh.
B7-dragonbane

If you want to write that scenario you may. Neither me nor Marz can do art so any help would be appreciated. :)