Son of the Black Eye campaign map niggles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Son of the Black Eye campaign map niggles

Post by Simons Mith »

Some of the placenames on the SotBE campaign map are a bit naff, in my opinion. As I am working with SkyOne on a campaign in that part of the world, we'd like to ask if some changes could be made. But if agreed, the changes would affect SotBE, so I thought I'd ask here.

The two placenames that affect SkyOne's campaign are the Green Forest and the city of Dorset. We would like the Green Forest to become the Greenwood, and the city of Dorset to become either Dorseth or Dorest. This is mainly because Dorset is the name of an English county, and it's almost as distracting to have an orcish (I assume) city named after an English county as it might be to have it named after a US state. Iowa, for example. 'Dorset' gives me a mental image of orcs wearing smocks, armed with pitchforks and speaking in a soft West Country accent. And drinking zoider. :-) (Which is an alcoholic beverage made mostly from aaapples).

Other placenames on the map that definitely deserve better are the Swamp of Desolation, the Desert of Death, and the River Oumph. And maybe the Mourned Hills. I'll come back and re-edit this post with some suggestions, but really anything would be an improvement.

Swamp of Desolation - (South of Prestog) Prestog Marsh (or whatever Prestog gets renamed to, if anything)

Marsh North of Prestog - Saltbone Marsh

Desert of Death - Chokeland??

Mourned Hills - Whitebarrow Downs??

River Oumph - River Oule

The other names aren't nearly so bad, but here's some suggestions anyway:
Bork River - how about Bark River?
Grisbi - Grisbick, Grisbikh, Grisbich??
Farzi - Farzikh, Farzich??
Borstep - Boarstep?
Wild Steppe - Wolf Plains?
Melmog - Melmoch or Melmogh?
Prestog - Prestoch or Prestogh?

SkyOne

Re: Son of the Black Eye campaign map niggles

Post by SkyOne »

Our biggest issue is the name of an orcish city, Dorset, which is written in the default campaign and Geography of Wesnoth on farnorth.png. It is not a big deal for ours because we can modify it ourselves.

This is informations of Dorset: http://www.dorsetforyou.com/
There is also a town in Canada, named Dorset.

We would like to hear everyone's opinion, especially the Forum Legends.

Thanks

(edited to correct a words)
Last edited by SkyOne on February 11th, 2013, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

I'm a translator, and one of our team is now translating the map.
May I ask you about Oumph name source? Is it an exclamation or some meaningful word in orkish?
Depending on this, we'll translate it differently.
Thanks.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

[just passing through]

'Oumph' just sounds like a random noise to me. Rather like Monty Python's Castle Aaarrggh, TBH. It would be best to ask whoever drew the map in the first place, and I don't know who that was.

esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

These name changes are good idea, but will have to wait for 1.9.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Changing Borstep would affect my campaign, wherein the origin of the name is related.
Edit: Not that I'm particularly attached to the explanation I came up with, but with a new name I would have invent a new explanation, which might be worse.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Yes, I only noticed your campaign just a couple of days ago, when its thread resurfaced. Haven't got to trying it out yet. But if any placename has a historical explanation, there's no need to touch it. Besides, there wasn't much wrong with 'Borstep' anyway. Do you like the other placename suggestions? Wesnoth 1.9. is now upcoming, so the other changes could start going in now. The main part of my not-very-hidden agenda is to get rid of some of the 'Swamps' in placenames and replace them with 'Marshes', 'Fens' and similar.