Insane Hermit

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
EvilEarl
Posts: 140
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl » July 6th, 2009, 4:58 pm

it worked. Thanks Huston, I'll be able to keep my campaign current now.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.

User avatar
Darkaros
Posts: 51
Joined: May 9th, 2009, 10:05 pm
Location: No

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Darkaros » July 6th, 2009, 5:48 pm

I use 1.6 and I also got "Error: Game could not be saved" at the end of scenario 2.

In scenario one, for some reason the two allied loyalist leaders try to share keeps. With bad results: Green recruited two castle loads, stole one of blue's villages, and then just sat there not recruiting on a village. After blue was fully finished recruiting, he ran out, took a village, and then green stole his keep! After green was also fully finished recruiting, blue was confused like heck and moved to the tile above the keep, not doing anything at ALL. Did I mention that out of all the villages, at that time Green had only the one he had stole from blue, while blue took revenge by stealing every other single village? So, by the time I won, blue had a pretty sizable chunk of unused gold that he didn't spend recruiting. This problem would likely be solved by just moving their keeps/villages a fair distance farther apart.

As for the scenarios so far, they're pretty fun. It's annoying how big the maps are, though. Wouldn't it make more sense for the maps to slowly enlarge over the course of the game, as more and more factions join in?

The Hermit unit is pretty awesome, but Illumination is currently an invisible ability with no overlay. It's also kinda useless when every friendly unit is Neutral, especially on scenario one versus loyalists. Maybe get rid of it and/or make Fire units lawful, Cold units choatic, and Arcane units neutral or something? The summoned units are also rather plain. It'd be nice if there were differences between units beside color scheme and element. Cold attacks (including the Hermit's overshadowed cold attack that might fit better if it was 8-10 magical/slow or something) could be weakened slightly and be given the slow effect. Fire units could have stronger melee attacks, Arcane units could have balanced melee/ranged attacks, ect. It's also pesky that EVERY friendly attack has the magical ability. I mean, sure, I know their magical and all... But the game is currently a lot less strategic and a lot more of an arcade game. If the arcade game was the effect you were looking for, it would help if it didn't take 7 turns to go from the center of the map to a corner in scenario one.

Of course, this is just variety. For now, the campaign's awesome. ...Although, it is a bit unnerving having the Hermit's first line of dialog to be shouted out in extra large text. I'm eager to see where this is going, good luck.

User avatar
Huston
Posts: 1070
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 8:26 pm
Location: Somewhere in this World(I Think)

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Huston » July 6th, 2009, 6:12 pm

no one should be getting this error unless i messed up because i went through it and fixed everything before it was even published.
is that the entire error or is there more to it?
ands have you tried updating to the latest version of wesnoth?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Turuk » July 6th, 2009, 7:19 pm

EvilEarl wrote:ok, will do. But what access do I need to the add-on feedback forum to make a thread?
I received your PM on this, but it seems as if some users are still suffering from bugs in your campaign, even though it is complete. Are any of them game-stopping?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

User avatar
melinath
Posts: 1298
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 7:42 am

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by melinath » July 6th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Huston wrote:no one should be getting this error unless i messed up because i went through it and fixed everything before it was even published.
... if by that you mean that I went through and eliminated all bugs that kept Wesnoth from even loading the campaign. Unless you did another go-through after that...?

User avatar
Huston
Posts: 1070
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 8:26 pm
Location: Somewhere in this World(I Think)

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Huston » July 6th, 2009, 7:35 pm

that's not quite what i did. i actually ended up totally restructuring more that a few of the scenarios. but no you are right i haven't go through it again. i guess i will if eveilearl can't figure it out and i have the extra time. (job hunting sucks especially when there are so around 100-200 people applying for the same position as you)
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future

User avatar
EvilEarl
Posts: 140
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl » July 6th, 2009, 8:18 pm

holy crap, I turn off my computer for a couple hours and now the thread has almost doubled in size!! I guess I should have expected glitches, I just never realized that the ai would be that screwed up.

It seems that version 1.6.3 is taking my WML very differently from 1.6, I will address the issues with the ai, village ownership and the other stuff once I get the campaign stable.

EDIT:It looks like I'm back to square one with making it work. None of my maps will load in the campaign because of some stupid thing about the border size needs to equal 1 when usage equals map. I'm gonna open up a thread in the WML workshop for those who want to help.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.

User avatar
Huston
Posts: 1070
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 8:26 pm
Location: Somewhere in this World(I Think)

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Huston » July 8th, 2009, 4:45 pm

NOTICE: right now his campaign is broken

User avatar
EvilEarl
Posts: 140
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl » July 17th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Insane Hermit is up and running again, I just released it to the add-on server with some other changes including improved unit images, scenario 5 now works how I wanted it to but is unbalanced ,everything should work as long as it is used for the 1.6 releases of wesnoth, and scenario 7 has the now has the ending I originally intended it to have (I seem to be learning more and more complex WML each and every time I try for new stuff.)

I will be unavailable for the next two weeks due to vacations but I will get to work on the campaign when I get back. My priority list upon return will be balancing scenario 5, finishing the Epilogue, fixing any bugs that you find and updating all Magic Spawn descriptions to be Insane Hermit journal entries.

If you want to help with scenario 5, the best thing you can do is play it and then post how many turns it took you to win and the difficulty you were on so I can get an idea of how to balance (turn limit is the only thing that needs to be changed, it is currently 40 until I can figure estimated lengths for each difficulty.)
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Turuk » July 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Scenario 1
-"Even and old roadway" and-> an
-Try using normal words and one exclamation point to show yelling, and not all caps with multiple exclamations.

To be honest, the first scenario's map needs some work. It takes so long for the two sides to meet and, by that point, I am moving so many units that there's no interest in it for me anymore. You are essentially moving, waiting, moving, waiting just to then watch about 50 units on each side go at each other.

For the second scenario, the premise for the dwarves poking into his land seems a bit odd as I doubt they would care if the locals disapproved. Same massive army bash thing.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

dELFador
Posts: 32
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 4:40 am

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by dELFador » July 30th, 2009, 7:33 am

Can someone tell me why in scenario 5 the purple leader just stays in a village after recruiting 6 units? it makes the scenario impossible as I need to beat 8 units :oops:

EDIT: nvm I killed the green leader and he was forced to recruit. :twisted:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.

User avatar
EvilEarl
Posts: 140
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl » July 31st, 2009, 11:34 pm

It seems that there are some more things to iron out.
Turuk wrote:Scenario 1
-"Even and old roadway" and-> an
I hate how I never remember my spelling errors when I go back to fix stuff, I got it this time and I hope that is my only mispelling.
Turuk wrote:-Try using normal words and one exclamation point to show yelling, and not all caps with multiple exclamations.
I think that I may have overdone the yelling thing. I was using it to push the insane part of the insane hermit, but I think it will be best if the portrait (will get to that eventually) does that. I have converted all of the all caps dialogue to normal size and reduced the exclamation count to two to indicate that the insane hermit yells louder than other people.
Turuk wrote:To be honest, the first scenario's map needs some work. It takes so long for the two sides to meet and, by that point, I am moving so many units that there's no interest in it for me anymore. You are essentially moving, waiting, moving, waiting just to then watch about 50 units on each side go at each other.
I will start resizing maps and changing turn limits accordingly, and I will try to vary some terrain to add some more complexity.
Turuk wrote:For the second scenario, the premise for the dwarves poking into his land seems a bit odd as I doubt they would care if the locals disapproved. Same massive army bash thing.
I decided to change that opening dialogue from the dwarves being land-grabbing military to being intuitive prospectors. It should be less offensive to certain groups now.
dELFador wrote:Can someone tell me why in scenario 5 the purple leader just stays in a village after recruiting 6 units? it makes the scenario impossible as I need to beat 8 units :oops:

EDIT: nvm I killed the green leader and he was forced to recruit. :twisted:
I don't know why, but the ai is acting weird with keep positioning and similar stuff with other people, I don't get these problems. But I will look into making sure the ai does cooperate with that.

I will release these changes once they have been implemented and scenario 5 becomes balanced (I don't need the input for turns for success because I will be massively changing the map).

Thank you for the input as it really helps me know what is bothering the other using that I would not have noticed or changed after looking at it from my view.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Turuk » July 31st, 2009, 11:42 pm

EvilEarl wrote:I will release these changes once they have been implemented and scenario 5 becomes balanced (I don't need the input for turns for success because I will be massively changing the map).
Good to hear, I'll try to give it another go after these updates, the maps should be easier to deal with then.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

User avatar
wesfreak
Posts: 1020
Joined: October 28th, 2007, 1:11 pm
Location: in a land far far away

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by wesfreak » August 3rd, 2009, 9:07 pm

the loyalist heros had the same problem in both scenerios where they appeared for me.
i managed to beat the one where 2 undead, orcs, 2 elves, dwarves and the 2 humans gang up on me (by beat i mean defeat all enemy leaders)

it's kind of annyoing having all of the leaders come back even though you've slauthered them already.

overall everything was too easy. try decreasing the spawn rate to once every three turns instead of every two turns in all of the scenerios exept the last.

i probably wouldn't have been able to kill the last leaders (humans for me) if purple did some work instead of chiling on a village. maybe you should put an invisible wall in between them, like with the hermit on the last scenerio. try making the scenerio objectives kill 20 of every race, for example, and you retreat when you complete that objective.

you managed to make wesnoth monotonous with this: i just charged to the enemy. i only waited to regroup in the second to last scenerio, and then only in some places. time of day was when your enemy was slightly stronger/weaker. you have infinite troops, so it doesn't matter if you lose a few of em. terrain determined how long it took the hermit to get places, and the enemy to reach you. that's about it. you have the same def everywhere and the same movement everywhere, and with all magic attacks their def doesn't matter. i bet i could have droided my side and still won (only just though)

also, i think you screwed up with the plant elemental: it is extremely resistant to everything, including fire. sometimes its resistances exeed 100. the same goes with water (kind of)


edit: i just finished the second to last scenerio. on turn 31. by killing the leaders. also, when i reffered to the last one, i meant the second to last one. i was playing while i wrote this message and didn't know about the very last scenerio.

your army in the last scenerio was the weakest yet: just 3 units every 2 turns made it very hard to win: they died quickly under a barage of lvl 3's and 4's. i'm glad i took out a leader fast because i could barely stand against the remaining 3 armies. i would much rather have a small army of strong units to 3 incredibly strong ones.

User avatar
EvilEarl
Posts: 140
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl » August 5th, 2009, 5:14 pm

wesfreak wrote:the loyalist heros had the same problem in both scenerios where they appeared for me.
i managed to beat the one where 2 undead, orcs, 2 elves, dwarves and the 2 humans gang up on me (by beat i mean defeat all enemy leaders)

it's kind of annyoing having all of the leaders come back even though you've slauthered them already.
I would like it if you could be more clear when describing issues (use terms like scenario 1 and stuff like that). It is kind of hard to understand when things are not clearly defined. :hmm:
wesfreak wrote:overall everything was too easy. try decreasing the spawn rate to once every three turns instead of every two turns in all of the scenerios exept the last.
My focus with this is to make it more speed oriented but I will probably either increase the power of the enemy or weaken the magic spawn units. I haven't really determined what difficulty the campaign will be (novice, intermediate, etc.) and I will fine-tune scenarios once other major things are dealt with.
wesfreak wrote:you managed to make wesnoth monotonous with this: i just charged to the enemy. i only waited to regroup in the second to last scenerio, and then only in some places. time of day was when your enemy was slightly stronger/weaker. you have infinite troops, so it doesn't matter if you lose a few of em. terrain determined how long it took the hermit to get places, and the enemy to reach you. that's about it. you have the same def everywhere and the same movement everywhere, and with all magic attacks their def doesn't matter. i bet i could have droided my side and still won (only just though)
I will be adding variance to each element of unit to shake things up. I will probably remove the magical ability from most moves and set up the units with their own movement type (I have been using smallfly for a while). The infinite troops thing makes it easy except for that you don't have forever to win and things will be more focused on coordinating a quick victory.
wesfreak wrote:also, i think you screwed up with the plant elemental: it is extremely resistant to everything, including fire. sometimes its resistances exeed 100. the same goes with water (kind of)
I forgot to change that. I made it back when I wasn't aware that resistances subtracted from 100. That will be dealt with.
wesfreak wrote:edit: i just finished the second to last scenerio. on turn 31. by killing the leaders. also, when i reffered to the last one, i meant the second to last one. i was playing while i wrote this message and didn't know about the very last scenerio.
Which scenario? Could you give the title or number? You shouldn't be able to kill the enemy leaders anymore once you reach scenario 5. I have a message in one of the scenarios that pops up when you defeat the enemy leaders saying that shouldn't happen. I will make sure that it is in scenarios 5-7 now.
wesfreak wrote:your army in the last scenerio was the weakest yet: just 3 units every 2 turns made it very hard to win: they died quickly under a barage of lvl 3's and 4's. i'm glad i took out a leader fast because i could barely stand against the remaining 3 armies. i would much rather have a small army of strong units to 3 incredibly strong ones.
The point of the weak army is that the enemy is putting up an excellent offense to drive out the hermit. Going all out offensive does not help in this scenario. What I did was block the bridges with two and send out the other to slow the enemy down. Unit I had the bridge completely blocked. In my testing I managed to survive until turn 12 with that strategy, so I had the hard goal for people who could figure out how to last longer, the easy and normal goals were set accordingly. I will probably make something that prevents the magic spawn units from entering the keeps to make leader killing impossible.

Thank you, I appreciate opinions as I realize that my campaign would be worse without them.

On a side note, if anyone has a better name for the magic spawn (preferably one word) could you pm me your idea? I would prefer something different from what I have as it is intended only as a temporary name and I think there is a better name for them out there. To clarify, this a race/faction name. I have already decided on the individual unit names already.

P.S. I'm moving the loyalist leaders farther apart in the redone maps to help deter the problem of taking eachother's keeps and whatever they keep doing.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.

Post Reply