Release & Feedback Request: Prudence

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

joshroby

Release & Feedback Request: Prudence

Post by joshroby »

Howdy, folks.

So in order to figure out how the WML stuff works, I slapped together a quick and straightforward campaign. It has a whopping three scenarios, each on small maps, and takes you through a young baron's rise to prominence in his kingdom. It's a couple hours diversion, really.

I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have!
Emzir

Re: Release & Feedback Request: Prudence

Post by Emzir »

Oh... i see, this one is really new^^, seem to have been published today.

Well, small maps are very nice. I ended the firts scenario too quickly to enjoy, the leader was the second unit to face my troops, 1 horseman, 1 bowman and 1 mage and it was done :?

Second scenario seemed to be endless, with the passage in the water where only one unit can be, hard to keep it alive with the ennemy having units that can attack in deep water, i took a look at the income of the ennemy that was high without villages. There's nothing to do agains that. I'm asking me if it's only a great luck that made me beat the very violent leader either in range and mellee, with 2 stricks of horse knight ( 40% and i got both stikes, but i loose it) and 2 mages.

Third scenario, i had nothing much to do, only one Yeti to kill, the royal garnison killed the rest (of Yetis). The ally plays stupidly, i hated to see Mages Of Light being sacrificied like I have seen. In this scenario, and probable in the 1st to (i should try it again), maybe some adjustment of ai (agression and caution) could make them very more interresting.

4th scenario not found :(

Sincerly, it was a pleasure to play, the choice of ennemies units is very interesting. I feel that few adjustements could make your campaign one of the best i played. More scenarios could be fine too ;)

(played on normal)
English not being my first language, if you don' understand what I say, tell me.... or try harder ^^
joshroby

Post by joshroby »

Hey Emzir, thanks for giving it a run through!

I'm curious how you managed to face Roger before facing any other dudes. Did he attack you on turn two or something? ;)

That is strange about the third scenario. I've run it a number of times without moving any of my guys, just to see what happens in the siege. The garrison usually falls around turn 10. Your garrison must have got some lucky hits in (and the evil mage might have done something stupid). Now, as envisioned, you're not supposed to take down the badguy single-handedly — you're breaking a siege, not solving all the world's problems, so what you need to do is run some interference so the (hugely powerful) garrison can break out of its castle and get some hits in. I should probably clarify that sort of thing in the dialogue, huh?

Stupid error for the fourth 'scenario' which is more of an interstitial and epilogue, anyway. I've fixed it, and it should work fine, now.

Thanks again for playing, man! :D
Emzir

Post by Emzir »

Here's the replay.

Well, as you can see, i didn't killed Roger with the units I said, I just tried to post by memory of the battle after the 3 scenarios, but it's almost the same. (Makes me feel like if I lied and got catch^^)

Here's the truth, if it can help you

(Note: you forgot the " abbrev=_ "xyz" " in your main.cfg, it's long to find back replays :wink: )
Attachments
Emzir_Eastward!_film.gz
(30.69 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
Emzir_Vengeance_film.gz
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
Emzir_From_the_North_film.gz
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
English not being my first language, if you don' understand what I say, tell me.... or try harder ^^
joshroby

Post by joshroby »

I've fixed up a few bits (like adding a campaign prefix for cleaner savefile names) and added three more scenarios. If you've played the first three, you should be able to pick up your campaign by loading the Grentor Castle insterstitial and go from there.

Another addition from the original trio is to make the main character Edwin a new custom type, "Young Noble," which can advance to any number of human units. So you can play with Edwin as a Sergeant/Lieutenant/General or as a Mage or a Cavalryman — just put him in one fight and he'll advance and let you pick what you want to play.

Building scenarios turns out to be a nice, easy diversion from work life, so I will probably tack on another three scenarios sometime in the future. The format is nice and casual, and lots of fun!
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, been playing your current one with default difficulty on BfW 1.6.4, i liked it very much, especially the well thought out and pretty small maps which do keep things tight instead of getting bored by moving around units endlessly. technically very well done with nice twists in the storyline and some humour added in. it played through without any problems or errors for me, just in the last scenario if you don't manage to get the hero to the chapel within one turn then the death knight will appear right on the chapel and kill off your bride next turn, which actually does not lead to defeat. so if you keep our hero away one hex from the trigger zone and then manage to get him over to the island and into the chapel within one turn the death knight will appear, but outside of the chapel and the scenario will end with a win without even having to fight the dk. intentional?
very good work, well balanced, good fun :D
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
joshroby

Post by joshroby »

The last bit could probably use a better trigger, but since moveto events only work based on where you end up, not what spaces you move through, I have found this a little difficult to implement. I suppose the best solution is to make an event where, once you get to the chapel, Roger spawns and the objective changes to killing him. When I get around to tacking on the next three scenarios, I may change the ending of #6 to this.

But in any case, thanks for the feedback and kind words; they're always appreciated! :D
chrisroby

Post by chrisroby »

I just started this campaign and it looks rather interesting so far... by the way, whats with the unusual death statement by Edwin? I saw it and it made me smile for some reason.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Scenario 1
-Nice map, great dialogue

Scenario 2
-Dudes seems out of place in the dialogue.

Scenario 3
-Response to the mention of a yeti also seems out of place, with "y'know" and a few other words.
-I can just sit in the middle of the map and let the royal guard go back and forth with the yetis, as it seems silly to get so close that the yetis will just wipe out my men. I attracted a couple just to get the exp, and they were wiping units out left and right (expectedly). Most players will just hang back then.

Talking Scenario
-Humorous, I like the play on stereotypical plot lines.
-Weak though, you could pull it off and still have a convincing plot. ;)

Scenario 4
-Jewish gangster Saurians. Hilarious.
-I recruited 3 Horseman and 2 fencers, rushed the saurians, and got the cart as the leader went south. Caught it before it got over the bridge, and so never actually had to fight the other Saurians.

Scenario 5
-The dialogue is classic. "Oh, you know him!" :D

So I was playing through the 5th scenario and decided I'd take a break to come back and play later. I came back, but I cannot load a save game due to:
Attachments
Picture 6.png
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
joshroby

Post by joshroby »

Weird, I thought I fixed that. It occurs, as best I can tell, because the Cart becomes a human-controlled side in Scenario 4. I made the Cart non-persistent and that seemed to clear up the problem, but apparently not so much. Can you toss me the save file that doesn't work, and I can see what the deal is?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sure, here you go.
Attachments
Pru-Something_Blue-Auto-Save16.gz
(46.67 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

I've recently been looking at the campaigns from 1.6 that never made it to 1.8, hoping to get some experience with WML (and recover a bit of community history) by porting them. I've decided on this campaign as my first effort. It looks like a short and simple campaign that doesn't use a lot of complicated WML, putting it within reach of my current abilities. I have no plans to extend the campaign with further scenarios, however, just convert to 1.8 .

According to his profile, the author hasn't logged in in more than two years, so I will proceed unless he shows up to object. I don't want to step on his toes, it just doesn't seem like he's still around.

At this point, I've run wmllint on the campaign. I haven't played any of it, but the first scenario does load up. The one thing I can see wmllint messed up, it added an underscore to mark the place labels as translatable text, but didn't add quotation marks, so the place names are appearing on the map beginning with an underscore.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
joshroby

Post by joshroby »

Dude, that would be awesome! I just don't have the time to wade back into Wesnoth (my daughter Prudence is now a very active two-year-old, not the sessile slug two-month-old she was when I made it). I'd love to see this fun little project brought back into the light of day! :D
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Good to see that you are still out there, lurking, and that I have your blessing!

I'm looking forward to playing a few scenarios over the weekend, as a relaxing diversion (from trying to figure out how to win Northern Rebirth's Showdown on nightmare, with no Krash, no stolen gold, a buggy Eryssa, a banzai-charging Hamel, and depleted gold from over-recalling in the previous scenario). Fingers crossed, hopefully wmllint has already done the real work, and I'll only have to mop up. As I noted, the first scenario at least fires up, and looking at its cfg file, at the moment the only thing I can see I have to do is add quotation marks to fix the geographic labels.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Well, I played three of the scenarios over the weekend, and I've gone ahead and uploaded it to the server. I had a scare there, because the addon manager said it had "received 56 bytes," then closed the socket. Combine that with the lag in displaying new uploads, and I worried whether it had really gone through. But it's there now. It looks like maybe the cart image got truncated, but I'll worry about that in the next upload.

I've christened this upload "0.3.0 ." As far as I can tell, you never incremented your versions beyond 0.1.0, but I figure the release with the 3 additional scenarios warranted the "0.2.0" designation, and the port to 1.8 is a big enough change to justify another jump in number.

These are the changes/bug fixes:

* I already mentioned the place name labels, one line of sed fixed that.
* I noticed that the day cycle wasn't running, and I assumed that was a deliberate choice to simplify the game for beginners. But then I saw that you actually had {DEFAULT SCHEDULE} in the scenario config files. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working; it took me a long time to puzzle out that the underscore connecting the two words was missing.
* I ran wmlindent, to bring the indentation style in line with the mainline standard.

Those are the bugs, what about the gameplay? You've rated this campaign as "beginner level" (which has likely put off some experienced players from trying it out), but methinks you have underestimated the difficulty. I allowed the small maps, reputation as a humorous campaign, and "beginner" rating to lull me into expecting an easy time, but the second scenario proved to be surprisingly nasty, and I ended up conceding the third scenario.

I'll go into more detail later, but in the third scenario, the royal garrison commander got himself killed, leading to the collapse of the fort soon after, leaving me all alone to face an enemy with enough income to buy a silver mage almost every turn. I'm sure a real beginner couldn't handle that!
Ports:
Resources: