Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Post by Gambit »

November 2011 edit: The new GEB has finally arrived! Go get it!

GEB is mainly a multiplayer era that allows you to terraform and build. It also now includes a single player campaign (wip - only a little bit of scenario one done). There's just too much to it to describe.

Updates from 2.9.1 to 3.0

Added Banking.

Fixed the bug with Master Of Fire Images not showing up.

Fixed the bug with autofarming icons getting cut off.

Units now lose all thier experience after drinking ale at a tavern. This might seem like an extreme penalty but when units level they lose the alignment change so it gives you as much time with the unit as possible. And it does have a use, lets say you had a hunter or a slaver, about to level. When they level up they lose thier ability to hunt or capture buy them a drink and they reset exp to 0.

Made Steamcopters mechanical.

So a bunch of little new features really isnt worthy of a whole new 3.0 version. But I know something that is. A GEB single player campaign. I worked on it a while back but it got put on the back burner. I'll include it in with this update :D I only have the first scenario thus far (and it's only about half done).

Added Markers. Its like a graphical label. But you can only place one with a unit. So if you move to a conglomerate of mountains you can put a marker up there to say "these are mine". Or if you place one everywhere you move its a great way to mark your kingdoms boundaries. Theres a lot of uses. As usual I leave it up to the players to think of/invent them all. I provide the infrastructure, do with it what you will. The coolest part is if your enemy then stole those mountains from you they could replace your flag with thiers.

Monsters can no longer visit churches.

Cows now have 4 moves and dont lose all thier moves for eating crops.

Harvesting crops for food from the speed menu no longer takes 1 gold. (bug)

Filling in water now gives sand.

Clearing sand now gives dirt and doesnt cost moves.

Wolf message only appears for $side_number.

Church messages only appear for $side_number.

Tavern messages only appear for $side_number.

Went back to the old church healing system so that it doesnt heal above max.

Added sounds to windmills grinding food and cutting wood options.

Added sounds to the blacksmiths upgrade option.

Added AutoMining.

Fixed the bug with autofarming sometimes automatically shutting off.

Made Masters Of Fire humans.

Increased Lizard Riders HP from 23 to 27.

Gave Lizard Riders the ability Pack Mentality. They completely heal each other, and automatically injure enemies. This will increase the amount of usage the unit gets, and encorage people to keep them togethor, rather than use them as seperate scouts.

Added new peasant tools feature.

Added wood cutting axe. Makes cutting down wood no longer cost moves. As a side effect it gives 1 less wood per forest hex. But considering you can get 3 times more forest cut per turn, it's worth it.

Added pick axe. It gives a random bonus while mining. Not compoundable with automining unfortunatly do to a WML limitation. If I knew a little more and wanted to spend a few hours working on it I'm sure I could but atm there's... bigger fish to fry.

Fixed the bug with not being able to turn of automining.

Added sounds to the bonus miner. I found that when they mine a base negative value or 0 but get a random bonus there was no sound.

UFOs can now beam up and store up to 3 passengers.

Added Golems. They can be made by mages on cave terrain.

I realized that my icons for things such as automated tasks and peasant tools down show up if the player doenst have the addon, and so such features are incompatable with normal GEB... Goona do my best to fix that. I cant find any icons that would work...

Automated tasks are no longer available in normal edition.

Combined the different "extended" macros.

Theres a bug that causes autofarming to occaisonally and randomly shut off for player 1. Fixed this *hopefully* if you still see this please contact me on the forums right way. I emphasize hopefully because this is the first bug I truly don't understand what's wrong with. Basically the way its setup is that if you have 4 players there are 4 rounds each turn. Autofarming activates on each round. BUT for player 1 it is technically a new turn not a new round. Ussually this doesn't cause problems but for some reason once in a blue moon autofarming shuts off for player 1.

Porting to 1.6. Changed all "letter" atrributes of the [terrain] tag to "terrain". Updated text displays on autofarming it was showing up as "______1" instead of "1". It wasn't including custom units. Fixed that. Unit descriptions not showing up. Fixed. Images when picking team in era not showing up. Fixed. Removed random team. Campaign image not showing up. Fixed. Updated "user_description" to "name" in unit spawns. Updated labels in single player. Fixed markers.

Fixed single player macro calls syntax.

Added the new trees on Gs bases to woodcutting.

Macroized the autotree mechanism to make it easier to assimilate all the new tree types.

Added new dynamic death and regrowth modules to the autotrees mechanism.

Added spot infection module in autotrees mechanism.

Macroized the woodandreeds mechanism to make it easier to assimilate all the new tree types. Added all new tree types to normal and auto cutting.

Added new village types to clearing macro.

Added coastal reef to clearing macro.

Dwarvish Fighters can now cut through cave wall.

Fixed markers and made them slightly transparent so they're less intrusive.

I'm fairly certain that everything has been properly upgraded for version 1.6. As always if you find any bugs, have any suggestions contact me here.
old version http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21770
Last edited by Gambit on November 8th, 2011, 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added link to GambCiv
Kelben

Re: Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Post by Kelben »

Sounds like an amazing amount of work, I will try it :)
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
cretin

Post by cretin »

well i gave it a shot, will take a while to figure out what to do. on the campaign i got stuck after capturing the wolf. the game continued to go but no new instructions came and the wolves stopped appearing. is this as far as it can currently go?

Edit: I also, uhm kinda built a boat on land, which cant move. probably should have built it next to the water heh.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Its mainly a multiplayer addon so yeah single player campaign is VERY limited. The first scenario will also be very strict and serve as a tutorial. After that it will be a little looser. It's hard for me to make the singleplayer as I've always tried to make GEB about absolute freedom of play.

And yeah build windmills next to water. My excuse for that is that the breeze is better :$ I dunno I need to figure out a better way of building boats. Prehaps a building is needed that serves as a port. Ussually when that happens the only thing to be done is to slowly dig a moat over to the beached ship...

Thanks for the feedback.

And yeah kelbin a load of work. My entire last summer vacation...

also to those that played GEB last year. I dont know if you ever noticed but the forests grew back as you cut them. This year, pay close attention to the forests as I've done a lot of work on their growth and death module (now that we have all these new tree types) and its really beautiful to watch.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Hmmm yeah this boat construction needs to be fixed... I put a windmill surrounded by 6 hexes (3 of water and 3 of land). I tried then to build a transport ship which appear on a grassland at the north of the windmill... the only hex where there is no water around...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I'll look into that... Normally they spawn in the hex directly north, unless it is taken. then it goes around clockwise. In the next version I'll try to figure out how to make it check for adjacent water, and then put it there. Thanks for the feedback again. We should play sometime.

Other bugs I found during testing:
Gyros dont move and none of the custom units advance properly. fixed. but the patch hasnt been uploaded yet.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Yeah that's it. It pops up like recruiting or recalling by default at the northern hex first then clockwise.

Okay let's try to play one of these days. I think I need to look deeper in the add-on first :P
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Good job, Gambit. But I always seem to lose... Hmph.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
SaltatorMortis

Post by SaltatorMortis »

i play this builder since this version u make a good work..
but here are some insane things:
-make the cows less like a feed machine me makes out of 2 farmland 12HP per round and that's too strong
-the mushroom patches changes after gathering turns into mud not back into cave
-the units out the courtyard cost no food if u can recruit them in your base :-)
and please mark the direct summoned units on the courtyard

and a short question on the end.... how i can make soldiers join the transport ship???

memento mori
SaltatorMortis

PS
i hope i sound not too crazy :-))
Last edited by SaltatorMortis on March 27th, 2009, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

1. How do you make 19 drones? You could if you built multiple launchers I suppose...
2. Okay I'll balance the cows a little bit.
3. Yes I did that so that you can't continue to harvest shrooms over and over again without moving deeping into the caves. I actually got the idea in Biology class. Cave ground is totally unusable for building but by growing things on it it is slowly broken down into nice usable dirt.
4. There are balancing reasons for this. If I made them cost food the game would take at least 4x as long. Technically those units are from a forgien army and therefore they have their own supplies.
5. Okay I will mark them.
6. You can't make units get on transport ships unfortunatly. I've been working on that since day one but I have yet to figure it out. I am still trying. Maybe someday I will get it.

Thank you for playing + feedback :D

p.s. If you want to turn regular ground back into caves, there is a new unit called a Golem you might find interesting. Use a mage on cave ground.
SaltatorMortis

Post by SaltatorMortis »

thy for the fast answer:-)
1. How do you make 19 drones? You could if you built multiple launchers I suppose...
oops there i was too fast... cause a hero can fire drones as many he have turns and that brings me to church pray + launcher= 19 shots but leader cant pray
6. You can't make units get on transport ships unfortunatly. I've been working on that since day one but I have yet to figure it out. I am still trying. Maybe someday I will get it.
here was ownly the name the reason of the question :-))

edit

the golem is interesting... but i take a few moment to understand the thing and what region u mean^^ hes nice to block the way...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

So you pray at a church for speed and then over directly to a drone launcher? I think the moves reset though. When you pray for speed you can't just move one. You have to take all 20 or it resets back to the default movement.

Yeah the name for transport ships is actually defined in wesnoths core files. They do drop marines however in GEB...

The reason I'm having such difficulty with transport ships actually doing what their name implies:

The menu can only appear on a unit, next to a ship. -solved
You have to store the unit in a variable. -solved
The variable has to be linked to THAT specific ship. -solved
You have to teach the game how to keep track of all the variables and tell which variables go to which ships (Because you could have fleets of up to hundreds of ships) - BIG PROBLEM
Each ship should be able to have up to 3 compartments -solved
What happens to the units when the ship dies -can't decide

I have most of it worked out. But I'm still not quite there.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Gambit wrote:So you pray at a church for speed and then over directly to a drone launcher? I think the moves reset though. When you pray for speed you can't just move one. You have to take all 20 or it resets back to the default movement.

Yeah the name for transport ships is actually defined in wesnoths core files. They do drop marines however in GEB...

The reason I'm having such difficulty with transport ships actually doing what their name implies:

The menu can only appear on a unit, next to a ship. -solved
You have to store the unit in a variable. -solved
The variable has to be linked to THAT specific ship. -solved
You have to teach the game how to keep track of all the variables and tell which variables go to which ships (Because you could have fleets of up to hundreds of ships) - BIG PROBLEM
Each ship should be able to have up to 3 compartments -solved
What happens to the units when the ship dies -can't decide

I have most of it worked out. But I'm still not quite there.
How about they..... DROWN! Or fall into shallow if possible.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yeah I am leaning more towards having them abandon ship. Then if they're stuck in the deep then "sucks to be them". Of course then you could be really cool about it and send a rescue ship :D

None of this works though until I can figure out how to make the game figure out how to keep this ships units separate from that ships units.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Gambit wrote:Yeah I am leaning more towards having them abandon ship. Then if they're stuck in the deep then "sucks to be them". Of course then you could be really cool about it and send a rescue ship :D
Why not if the ship dies, you have 3 turns to go and rescue them?
None of this works though until I can figure out how to make the game figure out how to keep this ships units separate from that ships units.
Make a variable using the unit name, and how many.

Or you could use a more simple [teleport]'s. But this would make the map bigger to fit them, and couldn't be implented into an era, unless theres a way to resize maps using WML?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.