Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

revenant

Re: Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Post by revenant »

I just downloaded the 1.8 version and I have to say that after a few games in 1.6 I really liked the era. One thing that I want to point out is that (since the ai don't use their peasants for building) it gets pretty easy if you make a map with an island in the middle of a deep-water lake and build transport ships.

13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

Also downloaded the 1.8 version. In the midst of tweaking it a bit for my own uses, I discovered a few problems it probably got from the port over.

1. Desert elves don't work. Their images don't show up and if you try to recruit one the game crashes.

2. Images for other units at the tavern also don't seem to show up.

I'm going to go through most of the rest and see what other bugs might show up. I'm honestly at a loss for the desert elves, as it's the correct unit path. It could be that they're not /exactly/ mainline but wose shamans worked fine.

mikko81

Post by mikko81 »

I downloaded this today. It's a definately interesting addon.

However, it could use with a tutorial, readme, and a better help of sorts. The help function in its current form is cumbersome and tiresome to use. The way the regular wesnoth help works would be much better. The way it is now leaves way too much for the user to find out through trial and error.

For example, what are the building requirements for each unit? Why does it not read (recruitable) instead of (R) when you buy units at the courtyard?

The biggest ? at the moment is amount of gold. There isn't any feedback at all as to what your income is - except for the regular wesnoth income at the top of the screen. This seems to correlate 1:1 with the number of regular wesnoth type villages you have built. I don't get feedback on how much a goldmine is supposed to contribute to your economy. There neither is information on how much an automated worker contributes, and when, if at all. You just get this gold or food marker on top of the worker, but there isn't information on whether he is supposed to sit on top of crops and/or goldmine to produce anything, and why, if he is on an automated task, he is still able to move around.

There are way too many questionmarks at the moment. Is there a readme available somewhere, have I missed it? If there isn't there should be. This seems a more interesting addon than the average ones, but I need more info on stuff. :?:

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

revenant: Try setting the AI to be the "Fighters" factions. And give them triple your gold.

13arrage: Excellent feedback as usual. I'll take a look at those.

mikko81: AFAIK there's no way for me to display your actual income. I think that maybe I can come up with a way to calculate it, but it'll take a while, and you'll still have to ask the game in order to see it.

The autofarmers DO tell you when they're making, what they're making, and how much. Look for floating labels above their head at the start of each of your turns. Autofarmers need to be placed on dirt; empty dirt. The goldmine DOES NOT give extra automated income. After building it, you must keep a peasant there and right click on them each turn and make them mine there. You can however tell them to mine automatically (if memory serves).

As far as help goes, I would love someone to write one. I'm not going to because I don't feel it's possible. There is just so much stuff in GEB and it all combines in so many different ways. I do believe you, the players, should learn through trial and error. Load up a one player local game of it and experiment! There is no set in stone one best way to play GEB. I give you a big toolbox, you have to figure out how you like to combine the tools; how you like to play.

13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

Next problem: Hatches (and possibly pick axes) overlays on peasants don't show up. I get the broken image on any peasant that buys axes.

Also, the automated peasant limit is a nice touch. For small maps. It does, however, make your 200x200 and my 200x200 custom GEB map basically unplayable. I suggest calculating it based on the size of map, if possible, and if not then allowing the player to set a peasant limit at the start of the game.

yoshi54

Post by yoshi54 »

There seems to be a glitch with the automated tasks feature in version 3.3. If you have a peasant autonomously farm for gold next to shallow water, you'll lose the gold the peasant spent making the farm, but won't get the gold from the peasant harvesting it. Also, you'll get this error message at the start of your turn: <Invalid WML found> [gold] given a noninteger side = attribute.

Molean

Post by Molean »

Yeah, learning this mod is a pain in the ass, the help files are next to useless. Very colorful descriptions, but lacking any practical playing information. Plus since each structure, land etc has its own window, you have to click on them one by one, going through the menu system each time. Each category should have all the types on one page. And I don't see information in this thread telling you how to play.

Jovycos

Post by Jovycos »

What would be about:

Code: Select all

#define GEB_Builders
GEB_Builder
#enddef

#define GEB_Officers
GEB_Officer
#enddef

blabla

ability={GEB_Builders} # not sure if this allows multiple abilities
And in the era-code the peasants and mages would get the new ability.
I think that would make your great work even more flexible.
Full of Nerdiness...

em3

Post by em3 »

For reason the "Churches" appear in "units" help section as well as in "buildings"... Also the cow image is missing.
ride on shooting star

SaltatorMortis

Post by SaltatorMortis »

after a longtime without wesnoth and gambit i loadet the 1.8 version of wesnoth + gambit and on a training game i found 2 unreported bugs

1 the Golem misses his picture
2 the camp (sand) brings a CTD (c++ crash) if u recruit a unit

continue your work and make this aera better and better ;-)

PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Hey Gamb, would you like to add some of my maps to the EB?
Spoiler:

Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

revenant wrote:I just downloaded the 1.8 version
How and where? It isn't on the addon server. :?
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador

revenant

Post by revenant »

It was there when I last checked. It's on 1.8.0.

Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

1.8.0 isn't the same addon server as 1.8.3? Wierd....
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yes it is. I took down GEB because it is full of bugs.
It needs rewritten from scratch again and I am not doing that this summer because

1. I did that last summer.
2. I need a break from GEB.
3. I'll just have to rewrite it again next year because 1.10 is getting an insane amount of new terrain types.

In the meantime there's this other fun new addon. :whistle: