Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Gambits Empire Builder 3.0

Post by Gambit »

noopy757 wrote:BUT there is 1 problem the auto farm doesn't work, its shows it but all of them say
Wood:0
Food:0
Gold:0
in a line
i dont know if its a glitch or its suppose to be that way but if you could tell me that would be great ^^
You mean like this: "Off 0wood 0food 0gold"
Because autofarming costs 0 wood, 0 food and 0 gold. And it gives you 0 wood 0 food and 0 gold. :) The price (or profit) of an action is always displayed to the right. I'm glad that you like the game.

Also try clicking Image next time instead of double posting. It would make certain individuals happier and it would increase your chances of being allowed to stay on the forums. They do 10 month evaluations (yours is coming up on Jan 17th :O ) and if you're not up to the mustard then... well... And he was never heard from again.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Gambit wrote:Also try clicking EDIT next time instead of double posting. It would make certain individuals happier and it would increase your chances of being allowed to stay on the forums. They do 10 month evaluations (yours is coming up on Jan 17th :O ) and if you're not up to the mustard then... well... And he was never heard from again.
Agreed, and fixed for him. When no one has posted after you and you are posting so close together in time, use edit in order to put all of your information into one post, as Gambit would have seen all of it as well in one post as in three by the time he got back to you.

Gambit, thanks for the reminder, I put those evaluation forms somewhere....
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
noopy757

Post by noopy757 »

oh wait i got it so to autofarm u:
1. plant crops
2. Autofarm either food or gold
3. then farm food or gold
4. AUTOFARM
Is that right?
and sorry for the mistake i'm new to the forums :oops:
oh and p.s i know how to get from grass terrain to sand.
(you dig a hole till water then fill it in and sand appears)
but is it possible to go from grass (or any others) to cave?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

noopy757 wrote: (you dig a hole till water then fill it in and sand appears)
but is it possible to go from grass (or any others) to cave?
Try magically animating some cave rocks. I hear golems are able to petrify living matter into stone.
Spoiler:
noopy757

Post by noopy757 »

Oh ok Thanks :mrgreen:
13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

Hi Gambit.:D A few more questions have occurred to me this time.

You should know that any and all my input comes from my experience on GEB Big map. Because I'm a firm believer that you can't have an EMPIRE in under 100x100.:P

1.One, don't gryphon riders strike you as exceedingly overpowered with dismount? You have one unit, then you can split it into two units. Any time. Even if your gryphon rider has no movement. Even if your rider is almost dead. Even if it JUST ATTACKED. You can split it into two units, both of which have full movement and can attack again. And all this for 24 gold a pop.

It gets worse. I was playing from the Mountain Cover (70,78) and managed to completely take a fortified city situated at the mountain pass with the bridge (forget the name) with one gryphon master. I flew out of the fog, grabbed the enemy tavern, dismounted, put my FULL MOVEMENT steelclad on the tavern and spawned about twenty or so dwarves all around the enemy. You can do something similiar with ANY village and a strike team of silver mages. Grab the village, dismount, teleport your mages in. In the game my friends and I play, one of the adjustments I made to the games I host is I took away dismount ability since it had got to the point where half of our armies were just gryphons. (We had banned teleport raiding. We always ban teleport raiding.)

2.Another...I was browsing through the older pages on this topic, and I saw your telepad idea, where you can sacrifice silver mages to make a permanent, instant teleportation device between two areas. What ever happened to this?

3. Is there a way where you could make your opponents giving you units optional? Something underhanded we all eventually resorted to was giving each other units and then killing it for experience. Good for topping off xp 'till level and a lot cheaper than buying it at churches. I LOVE the idea of trading units, though. One game I had set up a mercenary service where I sold overpriced units to two sides of a conflict. I made money, they got weaker, I was left alone. It was beautiful.

And a lot of tiny, basically unimportant points of things that don't affect the game as such but I missed the little things:

4a. Why can you recruit all desert elves BUT desert hunters?
4b. Arch/Great mage is completely useless compared to silver mages on larger maps since you can build villages anywhere you want. Give us an incentive to level red mages into arch ones? I ended up setting up an ability similar to the adept line...Arches could summon mudcrawlers, giant mudcrawlers, scorpions, and wolves. Great mages could summon all of these in great amounts plus gryphons.

I also like how you have almost all mainline units. But:
4c. Why is the Dwarvish guardsman line missing?
4d. Why is the thug line missing?
4e. Why are goblins missing?

Basically unrelated comment: I ended up getting bored, and gimped my GEB code a bit for my friends and I, who are the only ones I play with.:P Like I said, I allowed arch and great mages to summon, I added thugs, guardsmen, and goblins to taverns, I allowed liches to recruit death knights in exchange for a LOT of xp, I took away the dismount ability, I added gryphons to courtyards, I added ogres to courtyards, I added cuttlefish to courtyards. I also found the prospect of only humans getting shiny new buffs boring, so I allowed drakes, elves, orcs, mermen, and nagas to get them, too.:P I understand you probably have great reasons for not doing any of the insane things I've done, but my friends and I don't really play 'normal' GEB games anyway, and I think we'll have fun with this.

Otherwise, I love your era. One day I hope to actually finish a game.:D

EDIT: Woah no one's posted in over a month.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

In the next version:
Gryphon's dismount will be removed.
The permanent teleporter idea will probably make an appearence.
Trees will be fixed.
Cuttlefish will be added to courtyard. :P

As to your questions:
Why is X unit missing? Because I haven't thought of a purpose for it yet.
Why is it only humans? I explianed this on an earlier page I think... I'm not going to repeat the flavory reasons. You can look those up. But gameplay wise, it is incentive to use recruiters and humans. Nobody was much using those because of the food cost.

I allowed liches to recruit death knights in exchange for a LOT of xp
Interesting. That gives it something to do with it's extra EXP. I might work this into necromancy. Gaining exp from basic units, and losing it for a super unit.

If memory serves (and it doesn't sometimes, because it's been a while) thugs, ruffians, and the like, were removed to keep compatability with THS.

I will try to think up something for the Arch Mage (thats the lvl 4 fire one right?). It will probably be terraforming related. Perhaps the creation and removal of lava anywhere in a 7 hex radius around him?. This would also be quite useful in combat. One could block out, or ring in non-flying enemies.

Actually yes I like that idea. I'm going to give it to the whole fire mage line. The radius at which one can control lava will vary by level.
Unit's level + 3 I think. Starting at the Red Mage of course. Can't have level ones with this ability. :P

Desert hunters were removed because of some error I kept getting, however I don't remember what it was.
13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

Aw. I feel all warm inside now.:c

While we're on necromancy, would it be worth it to extend the variety of walking corpses that are summoned?

I'm...Not sure what 'THS' stands for.:(

Use? Who says they have to have a use?:P Half the units from factions you can pick up in the courtyard have no real use, but they're there.

My friends and I have gotten no errors with the desert hunter. Not sure what your problem was.
While we're on desert, we did get something odd where the desert shaman line didn't heal. Is this something in the code? I looked but didn't spot anything out of the ordinary.

Arch mage is the level three, great mage is the level four. Yeah, I like the lava idea. I actually brought that up with someone, and we thought that golems might do it, but your idea makes more sense.

And I didn't ask why only humans this time, I was just commenting there.:P I'm going to keep my more liberal blacksmith, 'cause that's how a roll. But I can understand you wanting to keep it human-centric.

EDIT: Oh, if you're going to implement my cuttlefish thing, you might want to do something about movement cost. It gets eight movement by has two movement cost on regular shallow water. Which makes it kind of slow and useless in most GEB games. Just a thought.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

THS = "The High Seas". Back when Wesnothian players seemed to have more time on their hands, it was popular to play GEB in combination with THS.

Surprisingly the two rediculously long to play addons sped each other up when played in combination. You could actually finish it in about 4 hours or so.
13arrage

Post by 13arrage »

There was a time when wesnoth players had time on their hands? Boy, that must have been the days.

It'd be nice to go into the lobby and find someone willing to join a game that would probably last two or more weeks if we only played every few days.:P

Hm. I think I have high seas, but I'm not sure if I've ever played it. And definitely not with GEB.

Also, you probably have no idea but I ran into the problem after I tweaked a bit in your wml (but nothing that would cause this. Probably.)

Sometimes when I load a game the sprites of some units are a bit off. Last night desert elves had the appearance of their older, uglier selves. Today, randomly, they look normal, but now the images for certain mainline monsters aren't showing up. The image for the dust devil comes off as that peasant construction sign. And it seems to happen randomly, because nothing I do seems to affect it otherwise.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yes it's a top secret (until now) failsafe that prevents people from tinkering with GEB.

LOL I'm just kidding. I have no clue. As far as the desert elves displaying their old versions, I ran into that too. Don't remember how I fixed it.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

I would just like to say that it is a great add on however I cannot seem to work the tutorial. when I right click on a peasant there is no do something option but in multiplayer there is.
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Currently unreleased patch for the single player.

Honestly though it's not worth your time to patch it. At present the single player is short and lame.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Ok, thanks for the reply and link Gambit. If you want any help testing it I would be more than happy to help. :D
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Shadowfox

Post by Shadowfox »

Maybe for arch mages, they could increase the range an unit they stand next to can do things from? I mean, with this you could not use lava, but you would be able to set up a wall from a safe distance by using it and golems, or something like that.
DISCLAIMER
DISCLAIMER
Shadowfox is not responsible toforsixeight any whacking of heads on tables, desks, cheesecakes or other surfaces that follows reading this message or disclaimer.
DISCLAIMER
DISCLAIMER