Trolls! (4 scenarios done)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Orcish Shyde

Re: Trolls! (2 scenarios done)

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Akkarin345 wrote:Btw just because every campaign usually has a LV 3 leader it doesn't mean we can't change that in some. It does mean a whole new unit has to be made and balanced etc.
Point, but if only Eag The Wise can become this new L3 Troll Shaman, the balancing requirements are minimal. Also, he doesn't desperately need new sprites; at a glance, he'd be different enough with just warpaint and that golden crown to distinguish him from the other shamans. I just don't like having a leader unit who's not a match for all that he can recruit; yes, IftU had a few level 4 heroes, but they were unique units, it wasn't like having 5 very similar Troll Warriors in your Recall list and a flimsy Troll Shaman to lead them.
Akkarin345 wrote:Only walk on two limbs, you don't need a reason really, you can maybe use him later in the camapaign, if you keep him alive, to unlock something or become strong etc. Sort of a creature created with a hidden gift but is also crippled? Just an idea.
I was thinking more that the reason he's crippled and can't walk properly is because his top half is so freakishly big and strong that his legs can't support it alone. This could thus have him unlock something... by being the only troll both small enough to fit in a space to push a rock and strong enough to move the thing xD
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Well trolls can be seen as believeing in myths and legends, i was thinking maybe if you kept him alive, like with your idea, he could reach a certain place and maybe get a special item, for example a ranged weapon or evolves, i don't know. It is just a very first stage idea i thought of that could play on the trolls community and show more about it.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Hmm... I like the idea about unlocking things by keeping the weak guy alive... I will make something like this for one of the latest scenarios.

I have already started making third scenario (map is ready & unpolished, basic coding and unit placing done)... It will be more like a normal me vs. enemy scenario but there is one twist: you actually play two teams which are far away from each other and the other team needs seriously help... I think I am able to release it tomorrow if everything goes as planned.
Maybe some dialogue from the dwarf to the poachers saying, now trap the nagas between your two forces or something like that ?
Hmm... nice. I will add something like this.
If you want me to run over the dialogues for you i can and try to make similar improvments.
I try to get along on my own for a start and add dialogs to develop the plot, I have in my head. Thanks for the offer anyways. :)
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

In response to your PM the changed i would make to the campaign description are :

You are Eag, the leader of a troll tribe, who lives in a peaceful cave farming mushrooms for food. However a scout brings you bad news : dwarves are attempting to mine gold and other valuable minerals in the cave. They have attacked another tribe that is near you. Hearing the news you lead your fighters to help.

First Scenario first page

The troll people living there have not seen light for ages ...

Ug the Strong's first comment

The help has

- Another comment maybe there should be some dialogue from Eag saying we must defeat the dwarven lord and force him to retreat?
- Eag the Wise says Argh! Trolls! I have to warn the lord, i think that should be the miner ...

Ug the strong after that:

the dwarves to

Scenario 2

The party traveled into the cave and found no dwarves. However finally they hear the sound of dwarvish hammers ...

This is the change i posted before.

That is it i think. I know i have posted a lot of changes and it may seem i am damning it a bit but i really do like the way this campaign is going all i am doing is sorting out the really really small thing to try and help you get the best campaign you can. Also with the speech i can see some of it is ment to show like Ag Ag simpleness and only you know when that is. This your campaign after all.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Version 0.0.5 is out which contains new scenario called Old Friend. It lacks a lot of dialog but it should be completely playable. Scenario 4 will be quite short so it shouldn't take too much time to make & publish :)

0.0.5 CHANGELOG

A special music playlist with 5 songs.
Campaign is translatable.

Scenario 1:

-Äg Äg is now loyal and has hero overlay
-Some dialog fixes.

Scenario 2:

-"The party travels further to the cave seeing no dwarves. Finally they hear a sound of dwarvish hammers..." –> "The party traveled into the cave and found no dwarves. However finally they hear the sound of dwarvish hammers ..."
-Bats are in their own team now.
-There is a time limit now (27 turns)
-variables will be cleared now...
-some dialog fixes

Scenario 3:

First version
Akkarin345

Re: Trolls! (3 scenarios done)

Post by Akkarin345 »

I played the camapaign through again on Normal.

( OT someone really has to tell me what the violin song is called lol )

Scenario 1

- Ag Ag doesn't have loyal but has the silver crown.
- Just noticed that Eag doesn't have traits, Intelligent?

Scenario 2

- Bats aren't on a seperate team.
- Good idea moving the Lord

Scenario 3

- sneak past it as
- in which to live
- undead and orcs are on the same team, are thet ment to be seperate
- the leaders charged me so it was quite an easy scenario but fun, orginal as well.

The scenario loops back to the start. Eagily looking for the next scenario! :)
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Akkarin345 wrote:( OT someone really has to tell me what the violin song is called lol )
battle.ogg
legends_of_the_north.ogg
the_city_falls.ogg
underground.ogg
vengeful.ogg

If you talk about Trolls playlist, it contains these songs from Wesnoth music folder.

Scenario 1

- Ag Ag doesn't have loyal but has the silver crown.
- Just noticed that Eag doesn't have traits, Intelligent?
:shock: Currently I am not able to test my scenario as I have files containing errors (scenario 4) lying in the campaign folder... But I read the code and found no reason why Äg Äg doesn't have loyal :S And about Eag... Maybe I make him intelligent because he is The Wise.
- Bats aren't on a seperate team.
D'oh... For me, the Changelog is not a place to look what I have done but I use it as a To-Do list... I made a new side for bats but I forgot to change their side in the piece of code where I create them...
- Good idea moving the Lord
Uh... what?
- sneak past it as
- in which to live
- undead and orcs are on the same team, are thet ment to be seperate.
Thanks for the dialog fixes... The problem with three different teams is that I don't have found a way to make them more likely to attack player instead of killing each other.
The scenario loops back to the start. Eagily looking for the next scenario! :)
I might even finish it today. :)
- the leaders charged me so it was quite an easy scenario but fun, orginal as well.
I noticed that too and I decided to make them passive (non-moving) but that is too boring. Does anyone have any tips on how to make them active but not suicidal?
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Thank you for the music list, i flet it went well with the campaign.
I'll have a look at the coding for the loyal. Got it you have to give Ag Ag the loyal trait as well as the upkeep i think for it to work.
The AI must have worked out to move the Lord out of the water on its own.
To the problem of killing each other, make them allied to each other then.
To the less agressive if i remember there is a AI fighting style and you give it a number, i am not sure thought that is my non-WML knowledge and i only got that from failing at trying to make my own camapaign.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

A new version has been released with new nearly insane scenario. You are fighting against a group of Black Assassins who are basically more powerful Orcish Assassins with nightstalk, backstab and marksman. And the night is looonng.

CHANGELOG 0.0.6

Improved the description in pbl file.
All scenarios has now larger amount minimum starting gold...
Two new units: Black Assassin and Black Slayer (Assassin has custom art)

Scenario 1:

Äg Äg has now loyal trait.

Scenario 2:

Player must now kill the dwarf and open the gate in order to win.
Placed a non-moving Grunt into the right place instead of middle of the lake -.-

Scenario 3:

Adjusted the enemies starting gold
Orc leader is now Slurbow on normal and hard difficulty.

Scenario 4:

First version
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

All looks good, i like the extra bit on scenario 3.

Scenario 4

Starting bit:

Eag and his company travelled to an encampment of a peaceful tribe. They noticed that the tribe has ( makes more sense to me, the campaign story is happened now so it is in the present). Eag has his doubts about the new commander, but they decide to stay the night. The night was cold and darker than it was normally. At midnight they heard someone screaming.

a does not go next to vowels so its changed to an. In this case there is an e.

Then we have problem. At the point where the player hits end turn, the scenario ends and starts again on the same scenario but you have more gold and all the units in the last scenario on your team.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Akkarin345 wrote:Then we have problem. At the point where the player hits end turn, the scenario ends and starts again on the same scenario but you have more gold and all the units in the last scenario on your team.
:shock: Can you explain more when this happens? The campaign worked well on my computer. Thanks for fixing the story (must be my worst :? ) :)
jani

Re: Trolls! (4 scenarios done)

Post by jani »

when u attack the scenario ends at your victory but restarts whit cold gain from previous try.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Ok, I published a version 0.0.7 which should fix this bug. I was too bored to test it, though...

This version also has new sprites for Troll Shaman from SVN. :)
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Finished meduim in 8 turns. It looks quite a hard scenario but i have 3 lv 2 shamans so they burnt up the assassins :twisted: . Maybe when all of them die mission ends? I love the nightstalk. Its like where they all gone and the one just jumps out at you from no where, Great!!!

At the end : The night has finally ended and the black assassins ....

Looking foward to number 5!
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

I'd go more for when all of them die, about 5 more appear. :twisted: Especially since when I played, either your code for "victory when they all die" doesn't work, or the last one was very reluctant to come out and play.

Meanwhile, I thought it a bit weird that the shaman's punching sound is at the beginning of his animation - the impact wouldn't happen when he's just pulled his fist back. Tape this over the relevant attack animation, it should fix it:

Code: Select all

[attack_anim]
		[attack_filter]
			name=fist
		[/attack_filter]
		[if]
			hits=yes
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-1.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-2.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				sound=fist.ogg
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-3.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-4.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-5.png
			[/frame]
                        [frame]
                             duration=50
                             image=trolls/shaman.png
                        [/frame]
		[/if]
		[else]
			hits=no
			[frame]
				sound={SOUND_LIST:MISS}
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-1.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-2.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]

duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-3.png
			[/frame]
				sound={SOUND_LIST:MISS}
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-4.png
			[/frame]
			[frame]
				duration=100
				image=trolls/shaman-fist-5.png
			[/frame]
                        [frame]
                             duration=50
                             image=trolls/shaman.png
                        [/frame]
		[/else]
	[/attack_anim]
Also, I thought about it, and I figure Troll Shaman needs a couple L3 branches - but no healer, because trolls have no use for professional healers with their regenerating speed. I was thinking "Troll Priest" which has 10-3 fire, 10-2 fist and {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_3} and "Troll Wizard" which has 8-4 fire and no further special gubbins (not even an improvement on 7-2 fist).
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.