A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chief_Chasso

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working

Post by Chief_Chasso »

I started playing this campaign today and I'd have to say it's pretty cool. I've only completed the first scenario so far, but I wanted to post some feed back. I'll try to add posts of constructive feed back as I progress through this campaign where I see fit. But first, I'd like to say this is a great elves campaign so far (knock on wood :P ). I hope the rest of the campaign is as good as the first scenario.

My only compliant about the first scenario is simple- why is side two, the enemy leader, "passive_leader"? This makes no sense, especially for this type of scenario (kill the enemy leader). I had the enemy leader surrounded at night and on his turn he could have easily took down one of my shamans or archers, but he didn't even move? This was just a disappointment since I expected him to take my bait, but obviously didn't. It's no fun when the enemy leader doesn't fight back.

That's my only suggest so far- remove that "passive_leader" junk and that could add a lot of challenge/fun without having to rebalance everything (if it's considered balanced anyway- I think it is).
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Chief_Chasso wrote:I started playing this campaign today and I'd have to say it's pretty cool. I've only completed the first scenario so far, but I wanted to post some feed back. I'll try to add posts of constructive feed back as I progress through this campaign where I see fit. But first, I'd like to say this is a great elves campaign so far (knock on wood :P ). I hope the rest of the campaign is as good as the first scenario.

My only compliant about the first scenario is simple- why is side two, the enemy leader, "passive_leader"? This makes no sense, especially for this type of scenario (kill the enemy leader). I had the enemy leader surrounded at night and on his turn he could have easily took down one of my shamans or archers, but he didn't even move? This was just a disappointment since I expected him to take my bait, but obviously didn't. It's no fun when the enemy leader doesn't fight back.

That's my only suggest so far- remove that "passive_leader" junk and that could add a lot of challenge/fun without having to rebalance everything (if it's considered balanced anyway- I think it is).
:hmm: Yes,I shall admit that the passive-leader setting is a bit useless. It is supposed to be a rather easy start, and keeping the leader safe does not make great sense here.

I will modify it in the next version, as soon as I got my laptop fixed... :oops:
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Yes,I shall admit that the passive-leader setting is a bit useless. It is supposed to be a rather easy start, and keeping the leader safe does not make great sense here.

I will modify it in the next version, as soon as I got my laptop fixed...
That sounds good. :)

Another couple of suggestions I'll offer up for consideration is concerning scenario 06_Emerging_from_the_Depths:
First:
Spoiler:
Second:
Spoiler:
These are just a couple of thoughts, but nice campaign so far.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

There should be a more clear clue right from the start that your troll hero can break through the walls at certain spots (sand/stone hexes) to reveal new passageways with secret items. I didn't notice this until I was almost out of the cave. After looking at the cfg file I did miss the red mage, but after spending 50 turns to get out of the cave, I'm not going back.
Yeah...this thing :hmm:
I was mistaken when the first time I played it as well. I will surely add some more gists on the begining texts. Thanks for this feedback :) And for that map, in actuality I am planning to modify it in a more preferrable way for the elves to cross without taking great efforts erasing dwarves on hard terrains.

Besides, please suggest me anything that you would prefer to say on secnerio11. It is a terribly balanced scenerio, which is devised there to kill most of your level-ups and make you re-upgrade your units in later scenerios. I have been doubting about its balance for a long while, and I tried various strategies to avoid losses, but I failed. Please beat it and tell me how do you feel. :)
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on July 9th, 2013, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

AxalaraFlame wrote:I was mistaken when the first time I played it as well. I will surely add some more gists on the begining texts. Thanks for this feedback :) And for that map, in actuality I am planning to modify it in a more preferrable way for the elves to surpass without taking great efforts erasing dwarves on hard terrains.
Whoah, please keep in mind that we are talking about a cave.
And in a cave you should expect cave terrain.
This is not a forest.

And please don't forget that the map is already changed a lot.
I made those changes after the original author has abandoned the campaign.
On the origin map I needed more than 80! turns to reach the exit.
Now with the new map you can cross the cave with about 40 turns.
This is a big change.
And in my opinion there is enough elven-friendly terrain now in that cave.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Spoiler:
So far though this is a very enjoyable campaign. In terms of the map, I only recruited troll whelps and the only elven units I had are what I started with. I think the map is fine :hmm:
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Yeah- I agree with Adamant14 and Crow_T. Scenario 6 map is good- plenty of good terrain for a cave.
Besides, please suggest me anything that you would prefer to say on secnerio11. It is a terribly balanced scenerio, which is devised there to kill most of your level-ups and make you re-upgrade your units in later scenerios. I have been doubting about its balance for a long while, and I tried various strategies to avoid losses, but I failed. Please beat it and tell me how do you feel.
Well, I started scenario 11. I haven't beaten it yet after 2 honest tries (I can't keep my leaders alive). My initial reaction is this scenario is legendary for it's difficulty. I think it's beatable, but I'll have to try again another day. Honestly, I thought it wouldn't be so bad considering I had a large gold reserve from the bonus on the previous scenario. As it stands right now, I'd say the biggest challenge is not getting enough upkeep gold. I get into the red so quickly even after starting the scenario with 650+ gold. I'll give more feed back once I beat this scenario though.

Also- I've bad mouthed Lancers before, but I stand humbled before you today :doh:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

I've completed scenario 11 and thought about it a few days and determined I really liked it because of it's difficulty. I think all campaigns should have at least one really tough scenario in it (including intermediate difficulty campaigns). These are the ones we tend to remember. Scenario 11 is difficult but doable (not discouraging) and that's the trick. It forces you to accept some losses and to really concentrate on strategy. I finished the scenario on normal with the 3 heroes and 2 level 3 elves. I only lost a half dozen or so high level units and plenty of fodder. It help that I had a huge gold bonus from the previous scenario (easily doable in 20/40 turns). I'm not sure if this set up was intentionally, but it helps greatly for this scenario.

My one recommendation is to give side one more income and/or give the enemy leaders less. For me, I basically started off with negative income and each of the 5 leaders had about +25 income which allowed them to send wave after wave of lancers/knights to slaughter my forces. But I suppose that's the whole point of this scenario...

My only other qualm is this- why do you even have "defeat all enemy leaders" as an alternate/bonus objective? Is this even possible? You start off in the middle of this huge map with 5 enemy leaders surrounding you, each about 8 turns away (in terms of that's how many turns it'll take you to reach just one of the leaders). If you manage to defeat one enemy leader, you have to turn around and travel to the other side of the map. With only 19 turns in the scenario, I don't think this is possible.

But nice scenario. I'm glad I was able to beat it without hacking the files. I think this fits nicely into the overall campaign- it's the one really tough scenario that you remember. Every campaign needs one.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Chief_Chasso wrote:I've completed scenario 11 and thought about it a few days and determined I really liked it because of it's difficulty. ...
I think this fits nicely into the overall campaign- it's the one really tough scenario that you remember. Every campaign needs one.
Thank you for this point of view. :)
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Well, finished this campaign...

Just wanted to comment regarding scenario 14 (last playable scenario). It's a cool scenario overall, but I do have some suggestions. Firstly, I recommend adding additional scenario music. It gets redundant hearing the elvish theme for 30 or so turns. I recommend nunc-dimittis.ogg and/or transience.ogg (both core music files). These are the tracks I've added anyway and they seem to fit the mood nicely. Secondly, I would suggest considering maybe removing some of the "sides" from this scenario entirely. Maybe combine the two elvish allies and just make one elvish ally will more gold. And maybe combine the two orc enemy leaders and just give them more gold. This would alleviate having too many sides and having to wait so long between turns. But I understand that's a major overall and would require re-balancing, etc.

Overall, this is a great campaign. I enjoyed playing it and thanks for all the hard work you put into it.
dalan94

Post by dalan94 »

I think that it's a great campaign but the scenario "and the river ran red too hard" is really too hard compared to the other scenario. I think that the scenario can finish in 14/15 turn and/or the enemies can have less gold.
I also have a bug in the last scenario, I can't finish it because the IA play a turn in several minutes... I check, it's not only with my computer.
Thanks for this campaign

EDIT : I noticed that the bug when the IA is very long to play is on several campaigns.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Seems the maintainer AxalaraFlame is currently on Wesbreak, so I will answer for him.
Thank you both for playing and for your comment.
Thank you. :)

@dalan94:
That is not a bug, but you are right.
Big scenarios with many sides and many many units require a lot of patience from the player.
If you like you can go to 'preferences' and set 'skip ai moves=yes' and 'show combat=no'.
The result is ugly, but you can save a lot of time.

@Chief_Chasso:
About the additional songs I agree with you.
Expect the songs you suggested with the next upload.

Question:
What do you think about scenario "13_For_Auld_Lang_Syne"
To find and rescue the Wose leader is pretty hard, it would be hard enough only to rescue him.
So I consider to remove the Fog of War from this map/scenario, but I am not sure. :hmm:
I am not the origin author, and I don't want to make to big changes.
Can you tell me what you think about it? :)
dalan94

Post by dalan94 »

The problem is not that the animation is very slow, that's the time use by the IA to play.
Here is a example : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/125 ... esnoth.mkv
And in a campaign like "Northern Rebirth" there is no problem, even when there is several IA with 600 gold. So I don't understand what's the problem. I have a good PC so I think that is not the problem and it's the same with ubuntu and windows. But I have the same problem with an other extension, so...

You don't answer me for "and the river ran red".

I had no big problem to rescue the Wose leader in "13_For_Auld_Lang_Syne" but defeat the undead leader is not so easy. It is harder than other scenario but I don't thunk that it is a problem.
On the other side I agree with you to remove the fog of war because it is not so useful and it can help people to decide how many units can help the Wose leader and how many can stay and fight the undead.

I would like to translate this campaign into French and I see a bug, for the translation work, I had to change the file " _main.cfg". In the beginning I changed campaign to add-ons. Here is my new file.

Code: Select all

##|| Text Domain
[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-A_Vision_Blinded"
    path="data/add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded/translations"
[/textdomain]
#textdomain wesnoth-A_Vision_Blinded

##|| Public Binary Path
[binary_path]
    path=data/add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded
[/binary_path]

##|| Campaign
[campaign]
    ##:: Identify Campaign
    name=_ "A Vision Blinded"
    id=A_Vision_Blinded
    abbrev=AVB
    define=A_VISION_BLINDED

##:: Set Difficulty
    difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
    difficulty_descriptions={MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/sorceress.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Sorceress" _"(Easy)"} +
    ";*" + {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/enchantress.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Enchantress" _"(Normal)"} + ";" +
    {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "units/elves-wood/sylph.png~RC(magenta>red)" _"Sylph" _"(Hard)"}

##:: Set Up Interface
    icon="data/core/images/units/elves-wood/sorceress-defend-1.png"
    image=portraits/elvish-sorceress.png
    description= _ "Defend the northern forest against what appeared like a routine orcish raid, and unravel the greater conspiracies that lie below its waves.

Work in Progress. 15 scenarios total, all written. Still need balancing and editing."

first_scenario=01_Skirmish
    end_text= _ "<b>The End</b>"

[about]
        title= _ "Campaign Design"
        [entry]
            name= _ "Alvin H. (LemonTea)"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
    [about]
        title= _ "Campaign ported for 1.10"
        [entry]
            name= _ "Adamant14"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
    [about]
        title= _ "Campaign Maintainer"
        [entry]
            name= _ "AxalaraFlame"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
    [about]
        title= _ "Playtesting and bug report"
        [entry]
            name= _ "taptap"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
    [about]
        title= _ "Playtesting and bug report"
        [entry]
            name= _ "WanderingHero"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
[/campaign]

#ifdef A_VISION_BLINDED

[binary_path]
    path=data/add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded
[/binary_path]
{~add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded/scenarios}
[+units]
    {~add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded/units}
[/units]
{~add-ons/A_Vision_Blinded/scenarios}
#endif
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

dalan94 wrote:You don't answer me for "and the river ran red".
Just read the last three pages of this thread, and you will find a lot of discussion about the difficulty of that scenario. :P :)
A lot of thoughts and questions.
But the most important statement for me, is this one, made by Chief_Chasso:
Chief_Chasso wrote:I've completed scenario 11 and thought about it a few days and determined I really liked it because of it's difficulty. ...
I think this fits nicely into the overall campaign- it's the one really tough scenario that you remember. Every campaign needs one.
Link to the post
But that doesn't mean that the scenario's difficulty will never get changed.
For me the scenario is still to hard to beat too. :P
dalan94 wrote:I had no big problem to rescue the Wose leader in "13_For_Auld_Lang_Syne" but defeat the undead leader is not so easy. It is harder than other scenario but I don't think that it is a problem.
On the other side I agree with you to remove the fog of war because it is not so useful and it can help people to decide how many units can help the Wose leader and how many can stay and fight the undead.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
I upload now a version were you can play this scenario without the Fog of War.
If someone complains, or don't like it somehow, it will easy to change this back to the origin setting.
dalan94 wrote:I would like to translate this campaign into French ...
Hey, I'm glad to hear that.
That is great. :D
dalan94 wrote:... for the translation work, I had to change the file " _main.cfg".
Done.
Please update. :)
Thank you for pointing out that bug.